Wes Anderson's The Grand Budapest Hotel

I watched this today, finally. Absolutely loved it. So happy Finnes did it, he has great comedic chops. 10/10

The Tivoli theater in St. Louis has been playing this for almost 4 months straight. Its nuts.

This film is fantastic. It has everything. Comedy, emotion, thrills, suspense. Great character work. Stunning cinematography and production design. Top notch directing and editing. And the cast is amazing.

One of the sequences i really love is when Dafoe's character is stalking Goldblum's. Really tense but also darkly funny.

As always I find that I understand why Anderson is an acquired taste, but I really enjoyed this film when it initially came out in theaters.

I think it may be his most accessible movie.

I'm debating if I should watch this. I haven't enjoyed any of his movies since Tenembaums.

It's worth checking out, it's probably the most fun out of all the Wes Anderson films.

It has been playing here for quite a while now and I've seen it twice. Definitely worth a repeat viewing, one of the best movies of the year so far.

Grand Budapest Hotel reviews on trip advisor:
http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel..._Budapest_Hotel-The_Republic_of_Zubrowka.html

Here's one review
Karl Jarvis said:
I only intended to stay for a week. I'd heard about this beautiful spot in Europe and so I came to recuperate after a series of stressful months at home, having a few runs with the tax man, and the ex wives. The photos of the hotel doesn't do it justice, yes it is a little worn round the edge, but it's such a delight, when I first saw it I wanted to eat it, it looked so delicious. Sure it is full of eccentric characters who seem to be drawn here by the quirkiness of the hotel and I feel right at home, there's always some sort of drama going on. I've been here six.months now, and it dawned on me today that they haven't once asked me to pay for my bill, nor have I actually left the hotel grounds. Why would I when there's so much going on here. But this suits me fine, apart from my growing waist line from all the good rich food. I dread the day I have to go back home to normality and my ex wives, Hoping that day never comes.

I think it may be his most accessible movie.

I still feel his most accessible film is FANTASTIC MR. FOX. GBH still has a certain emotional distance within the strangeness for the sake of strangeness moments that can either be funny, or allow for a nebulous sense of emotion at best or just be off putting at worst. When Anderson overflows a film with such moments or characters but seems to still expect a genuine emotional response I roll my eyes. But I feel in FOX that all seems to work, and there's actually little of those type of moments in it.

I'll put it in a way that a character in an Anderson movie might actually say: "Do you remember the Sigmund the Sea Monster show, or H.R. Puff'nStuff? Yeah... I hated those shows as a kid."

I find the animation in Fantastic Mr. Fox to be poorly done, quite haphazzard and substandard given its budget and pedigree.

I'll put it in a way that a character in an Anderson movie might actually say: "Do you remember the Sigmund the Sea Monster show, or H.R. Puff'nStuff? Yeah... I hated those shows as a kid."

To be followed by six seconds of awkward silence between you and Jason Schwartzmann.

I find the animation in Fantastic Mr. Fox to be poorly done, quite haphazzard and substandard given its budget and pedigree.

Isn't the animation supposed to be like that though? Kind of like old school puppetry and stop motion? I thought it brought a kind of archaic charm to the film. I don't think it'd be the same if it was perfectly smooth and modern.

I find you to be poorly done, quite haphazzard and substandard. :cmad:

Isn't the animation supposed to be like that though? Kind of like old school puppetry and stop motion? I thought it brought a kind of archaic charm to the film. I don't think it'd be the same if it was perfectly smooth and modern.

See that's the thing: Stop motion can look fantastic and be imbued with wonderful craftsmanship, like those films made by Laika. Fantastic Mr. Fox comes off as lazy.

It doesn't come off lazy to me. Like, at all. I can see tons of passion, craft and creativity in it.

It was suppose to look like a rankin bass movie from the the sixties...it was charming as f***.

Actual picture of redhawk23 -

fantastic-mr-fox5_zps922b6f10.jpg

I still feel his most accessible film is FANTASTIC MR. FOX. GBH still has a certain emotional distance within the strangeness for the sake of strangeness moments that can either be funny, or allow for a nebulous sense of emotion at best or just be off putting at worst. When Anderson overflows a film with such moments or characters but seems to still expect a genuine emotional response I roll my eyes. But I feel in FOX that all seems to work, and there's actually little of those type of moments in it.

Haven't seen that one yet!

Finally got to watch this last night. Loved it! Very funny!

What a fabulous fabulous tale. Its one of those films that warms my heart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"