What are you hoping for?

Infinity9999x

Avenger
Reaction score
I think it's safe to say we all have our own opinions on what we want to see in a Wolverine movie. There are things the X-men movies got right, and got very wrong about Wolverine, so in this movie, what are you guys hoping is changed or added?

I'll start off.

Character: In terms of Wolverine's character, I'd really like them to explore the man vs. beast dynamic. Wolverine's battle with his violent animalistic side has been a theme of his character for years and I was disappointed that they didn't even allude to it in the X-men movies. I would like to see Logan's struggle to be human. That ever constant battle is one of the things that I think makes the character so poignant.

I would also love it if they made references to his ties to the samurai way, and how he strives for inner peace through it, but I would be surprised if they worked that in. Depending on how far back in the past this is set, Wolverine may not have even gone to Japan yet.

Action: I think this is a big thing. The fights in the X-men movies really did not suit Wolverine. For one, he had no style. He fought like a brawler with claws. Wolverine's a master of many forms of martial arts (by the time he joins the X-men anyways) he should have had a few more skills to show off.

And even if Wolverine hasn't had that much training at the point this story is set in, the style of the fights just didn't fit with him. Get rid of that crazy wire work stuff and shoot something more down and gritty. I imagined Wolverine's fighting style a cross between the Bourne movies and the non-slow motion fights in V for Vendetta.

Plot: This one I'm fairly open on. With all the characters that have been announced for it I'm really not sure how they're going to handle it. It really really depend on how big the roles of some of the characters are.

I would really like to see more of the dynamic with Wolverine and Sabertooth. Sabes was completely butchered in the X-men franchise, so I just want to see more of their interaction whether it's through flashbacks, or post Weapon X. I'm hoping they make allusions to Origin as well, because I liked some of the themes for that story. They wouldn't have to do much, maybe just have Wolverine have a few confusing dreams that show him as a boy crying and holding his bleeding hands as tiny claws protrude from them, over the body of Thomas Logan.

Weapon X definitely has to be explored, but at this point I don't think I'd mind if they set the movie in the future and had Logan trying to track Weapon X down through Hazy memories, or actually show us everything that happens in Weapon X.

What do you guys think?

Character: In terms of Wolverine's character, I'd really like them to explore the man vs. beast dynamic. Wolverine's battle with his violent animalistic side has been a theme of his character for years and I was disappointed that they didn't even allude to it in the X-men movies. I would like to see Logan's struggle to be human. That ever constant battle is one of the things that I think makes the character so poignant.
I agree. This is, for me, the single most important element of the character which has been sadly overlooked.

Apart from Wolverine, I'd prefer it if the heroic characters from the comics were portrayed accordingly - Maverick and Wraith need to be treated with a little respect.

I would also love it if they made references to his ties to the samurai way, and how he strives for inner peace through it, but I would be surprised if they worked that in. Depending on how far back in the past this is set, Wolverine may not have even gone to Japan yet.
I realise you're talking about film-continuity, but if we're talking comic books here then Logan has already had his training with Ogun by the time he is abducted by Weapon X.

Action: Lots of it. X2 and THE LAST STAND gave us Wolverine versus many minion characters who were not a match for him. The best two action scenes in the first two movies were the Statue of Liberty fight (Even if Sabretooth didn't fight like Sabretooth) and the excellent scene in the Weapon X compound versus Deathstrike.This movie will hopefully have lots of individual fights with Sabretooth and the others such as Deadpool.

Plot: Apart from a few of the character inclusions, I really have no problem with the aparent direction that the movie is going in.

But one scene I would most definately like to see is one based on a scene in Mark Millar's ULTIMATE X-MEN run in the arc RETURN TO WEAPON X. Wolverine has been deployed in Kuwait and has been trained to kill any human he lays eyes on. Instead, when he meets a wounded Nick Fury in the desert and carries him back to the base, proving his humanity is somehow intact. The Ultimate John Wraith character here is Stryker, while the Ultimate Nick Fury character here could be Wraith.

A good depiction for Gambit and Deadpool. The rest can suck for all I care.

Sabretooth better kick ass. Im thinking at the end wolvie one on one with Sabretooth. Then midway he fights Deadpool in a classic fight. Maybe even fight Gambit at one point.

I want to see Wolverine fight Sabretooth in a knock-down drag out fight.
Sabretooth is quickly becoming one of my favorite villains and I want him to be done with justice. Supreme savagery, and unnatural animalistic strength and agility from Sabretooth.

And of course, I WANT DEADPOOL!!!
I want to see DP rock some face, grab some guns and go at it.
With Wolverine and Sabretooth both sporting claws, I want DP to duel wield some SMG's, crack a few jokes, and escape out into the night!

Liev is a great actor, and I'm really hoping that he'll be frightening as Sabretooth. I'd love to see a really vicious and bada$$ Creed - much rougher than the X1 one.

I'm also hoping they give Gambit a great, noticeable accent. That should be a given, but you never know considering what happened with Storm, Rogue, Pyro, etc. Hopefully Hood will remember its importance to the character - assuming he speaks in this film.

Action: I think this is a big thing. The fights in the X-men movies really did not suit Wolverine. For one, he had no style. He fought like a brawler with claws. Wolverine's a master of many forms of martial arts (by the time he joins the X-men anyways) he should have had a few more skills to show off.
i keep reading about how wolverine is supposed to be a great fighter and know all these martial arts, but in every comic book and incarnation of the character i have ever seen he just jumps in pissed off like a brawler and imo works way better that way

i keep reading about how wolverine is supposed to be a great fighter and know all these martial arts, but in every comic book and incarnation of the character i have ever seen he just jumps in pissed off like a brawler and imo works way better that way

In the more recent comics they've regressed Wolverine basically into a beefed up Punisher who doesn't give a darn about killing and will jump into a brawl like a crazy wild man.

In the older comics they talked more about Wolverine's skill. Specifically the Claremont/Miller four ish. mini.

Though even in those comics, they don't draw Wolverine in Bruce-Lee like fighting moves. I think it's hard to represent skill in a comic because artists don't draw fights by how an actual fight between two skilled people would look, they draw it to be eye catching.

If you look at most Batman comics most of the time it looks like he just punches people, yet he is also very skilled in martial arts. Judging a character's fighting style by how an artist draws them in a fight scene is not always an accurate gage of their skill.

Congo Jack said:
But one scene I would most definately like to see is one based on a scene in Mark Millar's ULTIMATE X-MEN run in the arc RETURN TO WEAPON X. Wolverine has been deployed in Kuwait and has been trained to kill any human he lays eyes on. Instead, when he meets a wounded Nick Fury in the desert and carries him back to the base, proving his humanity is somehow intact. The Ultimate John Wraith character here is Stryker, while the Ultimate Nick Fury character here could be Wraith.

I really liked that scene in Ultimate X-men too, I think it would be awesome to see on the big screen.

And I agree with you on the accents a1ant, it ticked me off that they couldn't at least get that right with Rouge. Storm and Pyro didn't bother me as much, but the lack of accent in Rouge was really annoying, just because I think the whole sassy souther girl is such a big part of her character. They basically made her Kitty Pryde with Rouge's powers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"