Adapted Stories

Nell2ThaIzzay

Avenger
Reaction score
Im just checking to make sure I have this correct.

I like to make sure I have all the stories that the movies directly adapted, so going through my comics and trades recently, this is what i think I've come up with for stories that the movies adapted. But i wanted to make sure I didnt miss anything.

X-Men - no direct adaptations. General adaptation of the X-Men world and its characters, no specific story or events (although Logan's sacrifice to save Rogue is taken directly from a comic)

X2: X-Men United - God Loves, Man Kills, with elements of The Phoenix Saga and Wolverine: Weapon X

X-Men: The Last Stand - Dark Phoenix Saga and Gifted

X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Wolverine: Weapon X, Wolverine: Origin, and Team X (unsure of the name of the run)

X-Men: First Class - No specific story adapted, a general adaptation of the history between Xavier and Magneto. Was not based off the comic run of the same name

The Wolverine - Wolverine #'s 1-4 Japan story.

Is this correct? Did i miss anything?

Last edited:
X-Men - no direct adaptations. General adaptation of the X-Men world and its characters, no specific story or events (although Logan's sacrifice to save Rogue is taken directly from a comic)

It is very different of course, but the first face off between the Brotherhood and the original X-Men took place in a train station, just like the movie, so they must've taken inspiration from that.
I only had it in the UK weekly X-Men comic, so don't know the American numbering, but it should be somewhere around the first five issues.
You'll get it in an Essentials book, and I imagine there will be some kind of full colour Marvel Classics book out there that collects the first Lee/Kirby issues.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Wolverine: Weapon X, Wolverine: Origin, and Team X (unsure of the name of the run)

I don't know if this is included in that Origin trade you listed, but Wolverine vol. 1 issue 10 has the death of Silver Fox and face off between Logan and Sabretooth in the bar, just like the movie.

Nah, to my understanding, Wolverine: Origin is the James Howlitt days when Logan was younger. The 1800's, and supposedly explores a relationship between Logan and Creed (but they aren't brothers). I haven't yet read it actually, but that's my understanding of it.

Good point about the first showdown between the X-Men v. Brotherhood. Its X-Men #4. I always forget about that, because X-Men #1 they stop Magneto during an attack on a missile base (I cant help but find a link to the climax of X-Men: First Class), but yes, they didn't face off against the Brotherhood. It was just Magneto.

I actually have it, it was part of the collectors edition of X-Men: The Last Stand that included a book of some of Stan Lee's favorite comics (including X-Men #1, #4, and one other original, plus a new Stan Lee comic that he wrote just for the DVD release).

Yea, the movies obviously took a lot of inspiration from the comics, even when they didn't directly adapt a story. Logan giving his powers to Rogue and risking his own life to heal her is taken right out of the comics, your train station example, the missle element in First Class, Jean Grey and Cyclops sharing a sunglassless kiss, the Danger Room sequence taking direct influence from Days of Future Past as well as taking some Logan v. Sentinel sequences directly from comic book panels. Of course, the aspect of Storm feuding with Callisto in X-Men 3, the nod to Nightcrawler and Mystique's relationship in X2, and obviously Azazel was added to First Class to nod towards him being Nightcrawler's father, a nod to The Draco storyline.

Gambit's "everyman has a price to charge and a price to pay" line from the promo stuff for X-Men Origins: Wolverine was taken directly from Uncanny X-Men #350. I think logan's cameo in First Class is even heavily influenced by Giant Size X-Men #1. If I remember correctly, when they first try to recruit Wolverine, he essentially tells Xavier to "go **** yourself" (in not so many words). I could be wrong tho, I haven't read it in awhile. I'll have to check it out again.

But yea, in addition to directly adapting specific stories, there are many sequences in the films that are definitely influenced by different comics as well. I love picking out those little things.

Last edited:
No, Wolverine doesn't say anything like that to Xavier when he goes to recruit him, he is actually quite polite to him, lol, it's his boss in the army he gives all the sh** to, cutting his tie off saying 'I'm resigning my commision... immediately!'

I don't have *that* many X-Men comics, I have three or four Essential books, some classic X-Men reprints, some from the early ninties and DOFP reprinted in a full colour book. I don't know what happened to my X-Men Uk weeklies, that reprinted all the Lee/Kirby stuff, I must have lent them out to a friend, as I did lend out a big bag of comics to our old band's drummer, and i never got them back.
and i have a lot of Wolverine comics from the early ninties.
Oh yeah, i also got some of the Whedon Astonishing a couple of years ago.
I first encountered them in the old Hulk magazine 'Rampage'(the UK imprint of Rampaging Hulk), both the old and new X-Men, and then got the Uk weekly when it started in the early 80s.
Apart from a few issues of Rampage, I missed all the Claremont Cockrum Byrne stuff when it first came out, although i got one American issue. comics were just so difficult to come by then, the toy shop i got most of mine out of only stocked DC, and it was hit and miss at the newsagents.

I recall seeing all the CC/JB issues in FP when i was a kid, and really wanting to buy them, they went up drastically in price, so I couldn't buy them. That's why they did the X-Men classic run, i only managed to get a few of those too though, so I was very gald when they did the Essentials books, i need to get more of those.

Last edited:
I stand corrected on Xavier's recruitment of Wolverine. I just re-read it (not the whole book, just that portion) and you are correct. Wolverine is rather cooperative with Xavier. His reaction is much more similar to his shunning of Stryker in X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

I thought it'd been a nice little nod if Wolverine had shunned Xavier in Giant Size #1, but alas it was just wishful thinking.

Oh, and if you are really being completist about this kind of thing...for the new Wolverine movie they will also have to adapt Wolverine's first meeting with Mariko, which took place in the X-Men comics.

He first meets her (as Wolverine) in the story with Sunfire in Japan, which is at the tail end of the 1st Essentials book, and then meets her in his civilian id later on in the first part of the 1st Arcade story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"