What do you think is the worst crime?

Wilhelm-Scream said:
DUDES

Murder is the only one that the victim and the victim's loved ones have zero chance of recovering from. What goes on here? :confused:

It's like stealing, but irrevocably stealing the entire universe/known reality from you. :confused:

Exactly... it annoys me to no end when people say rape is worse than murder. It's not... and saying so just furthers the stigmas that are attached to rape victims as it contributes to making them feel as if it's something they should be ashamed of when it isn't their fault.

Murder

Child Abuse

Rape

Kidnapping (assuming there is no abuse and that the person is returned in a timely manner - not years later, otherwise it would be higher)

Assault and battery

Driving under the influence

Robbery (I separated this, because this involves assaulting someone or at least having the threat there - robbery is when someone enters your home when you're there or a mugging)

Money fraud(cheating on taxes or stealing from a company)

Burglary/Theft (Burglary is when someone enters your home when you're not home and theft would be if someone picked your pocket or picked up your bag when you set it down)

Possession of Narcotics

i don't think generalising crimes into bundles is valid, extreme cases of all can be used to show how bad they are.

they can all move around depending on the cases used.

I do agree with the rape one being posted as the top all the time when it's nowhere near the vein of taking another's life. And it's more often than not the only non killing crime people say should have the death penalty connected with. People just have this thing about rape in general, mostly due to views on sex itself.

Now for the worst crime of all, that would be people wearing shoes that showcase their feet, and the feet in question being hideously deformed or ugly. And yes, it's usually chicks doing it. :o

i agree. murder is the worst. but i would say rape is second to that.

Now would you put physical torture in the same scope as rape, as it's basically an extension of torturing someone for your own pleasure or taking revenge for whatever.

Rape is the worst, most other crimes can be justified in some cases but rape never can be.

Stringer said:
Rape is the worst, most other crimes can be justified in some cases but rape never can be.
I was horny.

terry78 said:
Now would you put physical torture in the same scope as rape, as it's basically an extension of torturing someone for your own pleasure or taking revenge for whatever.

i agree that they are equally as bad...but i dont know if they can be grouped together in that way.

I would rate Rape and Murder the same.
I was talking to my friend earlier and he mentioned about a news he's heard about a father who raped two of his girls (aged 15 and 12). I think he needs to be killed. B*****d!

terry78 said:
I do agree with the rape one being posted as the top all the time when it's nowhere near the vein of taking another's life. And it's more often than not the only non killing crime people say should have the death penalty connected with. People just have this thing about rape in general, mostly due to views on sex itself.

And that viewpoint is part of what contributes to making it more difficult to overcome for someone who's been raped. Society's attitude is that a person who's been raped is somehow damaged for life... and that's mentally damaged... that they'll NEVER get over it, when that's not the case. Many rape-victims (even those who are violently raped even), survive it (some with counselling, some without) and go on to live normal, healthy, productive lives. They aren't 'haunted' by it, they don't have nightmares for the rest of their lives. They get over it, move beyond it, put it in the past.

This is what rape victims mean when they talk about the 'stigma of rape'. It's not that you're considered sexually undesirable because you've been 'tainted'... we've actually moved beyond that for the most part (thankfully). It's that society has this expectation/attitude that if you've been raped, you're forever a 'basket-case', and that's ludicris.

I'd rather be raped than tortured in any way.

And NO I am not gay! :o

Anytime I hear on those reality shows about that one girl in the house who suddenly breaks down and was like, "I was raped years ago", the guys in the house will comfort her, but will no longer view her as an oppurtunity for a lay, or even a romantic interest.

blind_fury said:
I'd rather be raped than tortured in any way.

And NO I am not gay! :o

As would I.

I also wouldn't trade being raped for being murdered.

true. id rather be raped by even the grossest fat sweaty man than be tortured...URGH though. at least it would be over quickly. and torture would probably involve sexual abuse anyway.

terry78 said:
Anytime I hear on those reality shows about that one girl in the house who suddenly breaks down and was like, "I was raped years ago", the guys in the house will comfort her, but will no longer view her as an oppurtunity for a lay, or even a romantic interest.

Exactly, but it's not because they think she's 'dirty'. It's because they think she's screwed in the head and has major hang-ups about sex and isn't able to distinguish between consentual sex and rape. They're afraid if they have sex with her she'll freak out and start reliving the rape or she'll be all 'needy' and 'clingy'... very high emotional maintenence. It's a stupid stereotype that's painted over-and-over in soap operas, dramas and 'lifetime original movies'. :rolleyes: :mad:

Daisy said:
Exactly, but it's not because they think she's 'dirty'. It's because they think she's screwed in the head...
...Which, let's face it, if she's on reality TV and breaking down crying, "I was raped years ago!" she probably is.

I agree with your main point though. The rape taboo needs to be retired. It's a terrible crime, but it's not worse than murder.

And to the person who said rape can never be excused: As (I think) Odin's Lapdog pointed out, there are plenty of "rapists" out there who didn't do much wrong. (Mostly boyfriends of slightly younger girlfriends who happened to turn 18 first.)

Well, there is something to that, CLW. Confessing this to a houseful of relative strangers on national TV does suggest that she's probably rather 'needy' when it comes to attention. Sadly, that does happen, but it's entirely possibly it wasn't a consequence of the rape but rather she had problems before. I'm not saying tha it couldn't be a consequence of the rape, but I think it's not that likely as overwhelming shame - not wanting attention/pity - is the much more common feeling for rape vicitms, which makes it less likely she'd be confessing it in that situation.

I knew a girl in HS who was always having 'dizzy spells'. When she did, people would all pay special attention to her and help her and stuff. She'd be the center of attention. She would also have ONE, yes just one, hiccup everyday in class at about the same time (1:15 pm)... EXCEPT if the teacher was lecturing, then it was delayed... that would get everyone's attention. She ended up missing half of senior year because she was locked up in a psych ward. Later, we learned that a bunch of stuff she'd told us that made us 'feel' for her, had all been made-up whole cloth.

I think we all know people like that... who say things to get people to 'feel sorry' for them as a way of getting attention.

Childlike Wild said:
...Which, let's face it, if she's on reality TV and breaking down crying, "I was raped years ago!" she probably is.

I agree with your main point though. The rape taboo needs to be retired. It's a terrible crime, but it's not worse than murder.

And to the person who said rape can never be excused: As (I think) Odin's Lapdog pointed out, there are plenty of "rapists" out there who didn't do much wrong. (Mostly boyfriends of slightly younger girlfriends who happened to turn 18 first.)

I count statutory rape and actual rape as two separate things.

It's true that the severity of crimes should depend on a case by case basis, but nonstatutory rape can never be justified, while murder sometimes can. I don't think many will argue that murder does not have a more severe effect than rape on a victim. It does, but crime isn't just about what effect the crime has had, but motive, circumstance and other factors that have to do with the crime. You can blame that annoying little thing called "pursuit of truth and justice" our legal system attempts to adhere to for that...

Robbery/theft: 10

Murder: 3

Rape: 2

Arson: 9

Assault and battery: 6

Possession of Narcotics: 7

Driving under the influence: 4

Kidnapping: 5

Money fraud(cheating on taxes or stealing from a company): 8

Child Abuse: 1

I still dont understand you people saying rape is worse then murder, or the same.

So you would rather die than be raped?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"