What do you think is the worst crime?

Admiral_N8 said:
I still dont understand you people saying rape is worse then murder, or the same.

So you would rather die than be raped?

Some people will say they would because they've bought into the belief that rape 'scars you for life and you can never truly recover from it'. :rolleyes:

passerby said:
Crimes are commited everyday within the United States such as the ones listed below. On a scale from one to ten (ten being the worst) rate each crime from your personal opinions. You can choose the same number twice.

Robbery/theft: 5

Murder: 7

Rape: 10

Arson: 6

Assault and battery: 6

Possession of Narcotics: 4 for personal use 7 for selling

Driving under the influence: 4

Kidnapping: 7

Money fraud(cheating on taxes or stealing from a company): 0.1

Child Abuse: 7

10 being worst

Daisy said:
Some people will say they would because they've bought into the belief that rape 'scars you for life and you can never truly recover from it'. :rolleyes:

Ya lol, doesnt make sense. "You are going to be scarred for life, so you might as well be dead"

So these people would rather be dead than have a really bad experience...

Robbery/theft: 7

Murder: 10

Arson: 6

Assault and battery: 7

Possession of Narcotics: 2

Driving under the influence: 6

Kidnapping: 9

Money fraud(cheating on taxes or stealing from a company): 3

Child Abuse: 10

Murder, rape and child abuse have to be worst acts a person can commit. Its not on the list but I'd give domestic abuse a 9, thats f***ed up as well.

Admiral_N8 said:
Ya lol, doesnt make sense. "You are going to be scarred for life, so you might as well be dead"

So these people would rather be dead than have a really bad experience...

Yep, that's pretty much the thinking.

Daisy said:
The other thing, it's much easier to justify murder. Say someone raped your girlfriend and you murdered him. Or if you were at war, and you murder another. I don't think a lot of people would find that murder especially malicious. It's hard to imagine a situation where you could righteously use rape for either revenge, or for war, etc.

Daisy said:
Chuck Norris had his way with me, and I got over it in no time. :up:

Robbery/theft:6

Murder:10

Rape:10

Arson:7

Assault and battery:8

Possession of Narcotics:depends on what drug

Driving under the influence:5

Kidnapping:8

Money fraud(cheating on taxes or stealing from a company):2

Child Abuse:8

Now say some woman killed someone dear to you and you raped her out of anger or revenge. As unlikely as that would be, would people look the other way due to what she did to warrant that feeling of vindication you feel you got? Rape is never about wanting to have sex or feel pleasure, it's about anger.

terry78 said:
Now say some woman killed someone dear to you and you raped her out of anger or revenge. As unlikely as that would be, would people look the other way due to what she did to warrant that feeling of vindication you feel you got? Rape is never about wanting to have sex or feel pleasure, it's about anger.
I think people would definitely look down on you more for rape revenge than murder revenge. For one, the actual act itself seems more malicious. You could murder someone with a bullet to the head as revenge, or you could hold some woman down and violate her as she screamed as revenge. The latter just seems more malicious to me. It's like, which is worse, murder, or torture? It's pretty much the same principle, I can see how a lot of people would say torture is worse.

Honey Vibe said:
Robbery/theft: 10
Murder: 5
Arson: 7
Assault and battery: 5
Possession of Narcotics: 4
Driving under the influence: 6
Kidnapping: 2
Money fraud(cheating on taxes or stealing from a company): 8
Child Abuse: 8

I see we all have varied opinions on the severity of crime.

Robbery over Murder and Rape...and you have a V for vendetta avatar. How?

terry78 said:

Actually, it's more about power and controlling other people than anger.

There can be anger behind it, like a man who has issues with women and so rapes in attempt to exert control, but it's still his feelings of powerless that underly that anger.

And as for 'feeling pleasure, there are some rapists who simply get off on humiliating and controling other people.

The other thing is that we don't really 'look the other way' when people murder for revenge either... at least as far at the justice system is concerned. The only time is if it's part of the same event... for example, if someone kills your girlfriend and you are either there or walk in on them right after the fact (while they're still standing over the body)... then we make allowances. If, however, you go out after-the-fact and kill them, it's not excusable. And the thing is, it's incredibly unlikely that either witnessing or walking in on the murder of your loved one that you're going to attack them by raping them... you're going to beat the crap out of them or shoot them or cut them or something.

Rape doesn't generally occur from a sudden rage.

I mean, how many men, when a woman pisses them off think "I wanna rape that two-timing lying *****!" Usually it's more along the lines of "I wanna choke the life out of that two-timing lying *****!"

Or fathers who find out a nanny has been abusing their children... they don't think: "I'm gonna rape that *****." They tend to go for "I'm gonna kill that ***** for laying a hand on my child."

Calvin said:
The other thing, it's much easier to justify murder. Say someone raped your girlfriend and you murdered him. Or if you were at war, and you murder another. I don't think a lot of people would find that murder especially malicious. It's hard to imagine a situation where you could righteously use rape for either revenge, or for war, etc.

That explains why some people rate it as high as murder, but not why some people say they'd rather be murdered that raped. That's what I was talking about with that comment.

There's actually people who haven't put murder as the worst crime.

"I'm going to do something that you could conceivably get over in a few years! Bwahahah!"

"No... No, please don't..."

"Okay, I'll kill you then"

"Fair enough"

Robbery/theft: 2

Murder: 10

Rape: 9

Arson: 5

Assault and battery: 6

Possession of Narcotics: 1

Driving under the influence: 7

Kidnapping: 8

Money fraud(cheating on taxes or stealing from a company): 2

Child Abuse: 9

Calvin said:
I think people would definitely look down on you more for rape revenge than murder revenge. For one, the actual act itself seems more malicious. You could murder someone with a bullet to the head as revenge, or you could hold some woman down and violate her as she screamed as revenge. The latter just seems more malicious to me. It's like, which is worse, murder, or torture? It's pretty much the same principle, I can see how a lot of people would say torture is worse.
Hands up if you're still alive after you've been murdered? No, no-one? What about rape? Few hands, I see there. Torture? Again, some hands. Let's try murder again... Still no-one?

Murder = worst.

Daisy said:
That explains why some people rate it as high as murder, but not why some people say they'd rather be murdered that raped. That's what I was talking about with that comment.
Well, maybe it's the idea of being dominated in such a humiliating way. I can see how that could be seen as worse than death. Some people value their dignity more than their life. Should they? I don't know, but psychologically, I can see that choice. While not really an exact analogy, it's also similar to the number one fear usually being surveyed as public speaking, over death. It's a knee-jerk stigma, maybe.

Daisy said:
Whereas death is curable with a few pills and a glass of water.

Flame on! said:
Hands up if you're still alive after you've been murdered? No, no-one? What about rape? Few hands, I see there. Torture? Again, some hands. Let's try murder again... Still no-one?

Murder = worst.
Not everyone defines being dead as the worse thing that could happen to them. I personally wouldn't want to be murdered over rape. Torture.... depends. There are a lot of really really sick tortures that I would probably choose death over.

Flame on! said:
There's actually people who haven't put murder as the worst crime.

"I'm going to do something that you could conceivably get over in a few years! Bwahahah!"

"No... No, please don't..."

"Okay, I'll kill you then"

"Fair enough"

Exactly, doesnt make sense huh? I want to hear these people explain themselves.

Calvin said:
Not everyone defines being dead as the worse thing that could happen to them. I personally wouldn't want to be murdered over rape. Torture.... depends. There are a lot of really really sick tortures that I would probably choose death over.
Amazing. I would hate to be your friend.

"Seriously Calvin, I can handle this torture..."

"No, you must die, because torture is a worse crime!

"But Calvin, it's just temporary pain. Death is forever.

"Silence!"

"ACK!!!"

Calvin said:
Well, maybe it's the idea of being dominated in such a humiliating way. I can see how that could be seen as worse than death. Some people value their dignity more than their life. Should they? I don't know, but psychologically, I can see that choice. While not really an exact analogy, it's also similar to the number one fear usually being surveyed as public speaking, over death. It's a knee-jerk stigma, maybe.

The thing is, people CAN get over that.

You are right, however, about it being a 'knee-jerk' stigma... and that's the problem. Society's attitude that being raped is 'worse than death' makes recovering from a rape more difficult for victims.

Funny thing is that it's more often men who say rape is worse than murder than women. Most men aren't generally thinking about themselves being raped though, they're thinking about some woman they care about being raped. That goes back to two things, one... the idea that the woman will be 'forever damaged mentally' - that she'll never be the same person she was... and two... a sense of possessiveness of women on their part. And I do mean possessiveness, not protetiveness. Protectiveness would say that having her murdered would be worse than raped. Many guys see 'their woman' being raped as a violation of themselves, not just the woman. I do understand the feeling, in that they tend to blame themselves for not being man-enough to prevent it from happening, but that doesn't mean it's rational, correct or harmless thinking. It's actually just the opposite. It's why husbands whose wives are raped generally need counselling as much as the wife.

The only 'comfort' I can find in all this is the realization that if someone who said that public speaking was worse than death were actually presented with that scenario... you must make this speech or be shot... the overwhelming majority of people would make the speech. I would hope it would be the same with rape and murder. That if the woman a guy loved was raped, he would be thankful she wasn't murdered and that they'd be able to move forward and get through it, instead of wishing she'd been killed.

Calvin said:

That's pretty much it. Rape is worst than murder to people with dignity.

Many of the people here have no dignity and it shows.

Outsiderzedge said:
That's pretty much it. Rape is worst than murder to people with dignity.

Many of the people here have no dignity and it shows.

Actually, rape is worse than murder to people who have a very fragile hold on and narrow definition of their sense of dignity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"