Comics What Event Are You Most Looking Fwd To?

wolvie2020 said:
Ok, here goes, luckily the the issue of Wizard wasn't too hard for me to find ... I think I just broke my wrist typing.

Thanks for the info. ;)

Good stuff, Wolvie. Hopefully, Marvel will keep out of Loeb/Campbell's way long enough for them to churn out a decent yarn or two....

Well I find it disappointing if the Loeb/JSC book is not going to be in continuity.
That was my one hope of 616 SM getting straight.

Not yet, but it's still very possible.

Civil War ending gets my vote. I would really like to read actual Spider-man stories before my interest in comics completely fades.

Effect said:
Civil War ending gets my vote. I would really like to read actual Spider-man stories before my interest in comics completely fades.
Neither SSM or FNSM are particularly about Civil War.

Effect said:

Even though that's a confusing statement, I think i get what you mean. :up:

Dragon said:
But that's not what you're getting with Marvel's current continuity, what with all the retconning and straight up ignoring of even recent history.

I know that but ultimately (no pun intended) I'm sick of retellings and alternate universes (except MC2! that's hardly a retelling). C'mon, he gets bit by a spider, Uncle Ben dies, Aunt May is old, Peter feels guilty, Gwen is dead, Norman is dead, MJ is hot, Venom eats brains and spleens, JJJ is a "skinflint", Flash is a jerk, Harry is insecure and will die, Clones.... That's what happens. I'd rather see some evolution but serial storytelling requires the character to remain in constant perpetuity. At LEAST in the 616, I get to see some evolution, even if it takes years.

wolvie2020 said:
I think I just broke my wrist typing.

Thanks for typing it. But now I'm still confused....

So it's out of continuity then right? I mean he's in the classic duds and works for JJJ....

Look out for my question on Joe Friday's tomorrow, asking Joe about the project and whether or not it's in continuity. See if you can guess which one is my name (assuming they pick my question).

Oh without a doubt it's Loeb/Campbell. I have been waiting to see Campbell on a Spidey title for years, he's always been the perfect artist for it. I am alos hoping it actually gets Spidey back on track. I am not reading any current Spidey title, and won't until this is released, so I am looking forward to readinjg my Spidey stories again.

Yes but aparantly, it will not be in continuity.
Does this not bother you?

Dangerous said:

It usually would, but the fact that I haven't read a s**t hot Spidey story in ages and just want to read those again, no it doesn't.

I guess, as long as it is s**t hot I won't mind to much, but then if it is amazing, Il be thinking Damn- why did they not make this cannon?! argh.

Can someone provide a link, saying it's not canon?

Man I'm dying to see what happens in The Amazing Spider-Man 536 I think he will lose the siuti in that one not sure though but anyways that's what I'm most looknig forward too.

Effect said:

You do know that there are tons of great comics out there besides Spider-Man, right? Instead of letting your interest in comics fade away why don't you try and find something else that you can get into?

I triple dog dare you to do it. :wow:

Dangerous said:

I'm gonna quote myself, seeing as I went through all that typing and few seemed to notice... This interview was a while ago, make what you will of it, it's pretty clear to me from this article that it's in continuity, but some people seem hell bent on it being out of continuity, so I don't know if there was another article after this one that states otherwise.

wolvie2020 said:
Ok, here goes, luckily the the issue of Wizard wasn't too hard for me to find, and I got some waiting around time at work, so here goes... (OK, this post is REALLY long, but please, bear with me. This issue of Wizard focused a lot on what's going to happen to Spider-Man on '07. So this thread WANTS this article, lol) Excerpts from the Loeb/SJC Interview:

Wizard: (Flipping throughsketch book) Wow, the next couple of sketches are Gwen Stacy and MJ together, what's up with that?

Campbell: (Laughs)
Loeb: Well, those are kinda fantasy drawings, "If there was a way," blah, blah, blah. But I have thought a lot about how "Lost" incorprates the past and the present together. And there's something really interesting about Peter's life and whether or not he's going to keep making the same mistakes, and where that comes from. So that gives me an opportunity to both reference stuff from when Gwen was alive, and also in the present talking about whatever's going on in his relationships. So there is something very cool about it and I'm trying to figure out if that's the structure I want to use in the story.

It's a cool article, and Loeb says that it'll be in a similar format to his Batman 'Hush.' They both also likened their run, and the timing of the release dates will be more like 'Hush,' and Whedon/Cassady's (imo absolutely freakin' awesome,) Astonishing X-Men. ALSO, Peter will DEFINATLEY be working at the Bugle, for JJ. Although, here's one interesting tidbit; Campbell doesn't seem too bothered, but Loeb clearly wants to Spidey in his classic togs, (you'd think it'd be the other way round....):

Wizard: Will he be in the red and the blue suit in this series?
Campbell: I would assume so, but I don't know if that's a secret or not.
Loeb: He will be in the red and blue suit, yes. That doesn't mean he's not running around in armour in somebosy else's book. However this is going to work, it's going to work the way it's going to work.

Interestingly, in LAST months issue of Wizard, where it has various peoples opinions of Spidey in the black suit, Loeb was one of the few that thought it was a GREAT idea, and was really looking forward to it. I don't know what to make of that... did he change his mind?

If he stays in his red and blue's for Loeb's/Campbell's run, it'll either mean that that like in the 80's, the main Spidey book will have him in his black suit, and other's will have the red and blue if they like. Which would mean that they wouldn't be on ASM :(

OR, it could mean that their story will start much later in the year, when Spidey gives up the black suit...

Although, this statement could end up meaning nothing, as this interview was from a while ago, and the Marvel editorial change some of their biggest decisions from a month to month basis regarding the 616 U. E.g. Civil War... Not sure about that theory though... I think the 1st would be the simplest solution for the entire thing.

Okay, I thought it's worth mentioning here too, JMS/JQ had very small Spidey discussion at buried in the mag. They admit, (although, it not a very humble manner,) their failings of Spidey over the last couple years. Mainly 'Sins Past,' and 'The Other.'

Annoyingly, JQ ONCE AGAIN goes on about how the marriage is the single most worst thing in the Spidey mytho's, and blames that for their biggest problem in writing Spider-Man. Okkkkkkaaaaaayyyyyyy.... so retconning one of the single most important comic stories of all time, (ASM 121-122,) and making Spidey lose an eye, grow in a cocoon, (AGAIN!) and bite someone's head off has ANYTHING to do with his marriage?????? Go figure. He also goes on about how Spidey was at his best when he was a single teen, and that appeals too all 9 year olds and loads of youngsters don't have an entrance in to Spider-Man anymore. HELLO!!!!! Can anyone say Ultimate Spider-Man??? Marvel best selling mag for teens and pre teens!!? (And a few of us older types too?) And to a lesser extent, Marvel Age SM?

They then go onto say that he doesn't have a supporting cast anymore, and they want one back. Once again, HELLOOOOOoooo???? Whose fault is that? They talk about the lack of supporting cast is because they're all dead or comatose!! (The interview was pre-d**k Flash) Jenkins tried his best to make good use of his supporting cast, Robbie, his girl, that Aussie guys, and several other new neighbours. As well as J.J, and the Bugle lot, but JQ was more interested in Totems. Jenkins also was one of the main inspirations as making MJ a more relatable down to earth actress, shouldn't she have friends? (JQ complained about her being a super model, again!) COME ON! CREATE! Make a more human supporting cast revolving around the classic! Even I could do that!

Okay, getting to the most important part... The next year for Spider-Man. They say thet he's not going to be an Avenger, and his life will suck more than ever, as he's made the biggest mistake of his life, guess what that is? (unmasking, lol.) n.b. Interestingly, in another article, next to a pic of Spidey is a line going to Matt Murdock, Tom Breevort says that during Civil War, Matt Murdock is the earliest example of what happens to a hero when they unmask, hhhmmmm.

Okay, the last bit, says that it'll all lead to a JMS/JQ 6 part story that will take Peter back to, in JMS' words; 'The status Quo that worked well for Spider-Man for so many years. It's dangerous as hell.' They said the entire Spidey team have worked very hard in putting the story together, NOT just JMS and JQ, but they're the ones doing the story. They've planned everything for the next year and more. JMS says, 'It'll tear your heart out, on the 6th issue you'll be on the floor.'

I really don't know what to make of this... Many will jump to the MJ, thing, but I really don't think that'll happen, as JQ has made quite a few jokes about it, and said he'll never divorce Peter, or kill MJ, as it will age him far too much. Between this and what Loeb/SJC have planned for him... I really have no idea how they will get from A to B though...

The whole thing finishes with Wizard asking:

Wizard: How do you hope Spider-Man will look a year from now?

Quesada: I hope he looks closer to the incarnation that Stan Lee created back in the day
JMS: I agree
Quesada: Closer to that than anything else

Have they FINALLY learned their lesson? Only time will tell...

before I finish this ridiculously long post, I have to say, the JQ/JMS thing was originally slated to have started by now, and there's been NOTHING mentioned about it since that article. Whether they've dramatically changes the story, or if it's happening, I don't know. Like I said earlier in the article, Marvel nowadays makes fast dramatic decisions. It could end up like JQ last (supposedly,) massive book, DD:Father. That ended being SOOO late, few people even regard it on canon... will that happen to this book? I dunno, but just the thought of JMS/JQ on a Spidey book together has me quivering in my boots. They just can't seem to handle the fact that they keep getting it wrong, and want to be the ones to turn it back around... They want the glory for something they keep failing at. Oh well, I hope for the sakes of all Spidey fans that they FINALLY get it right, at least the WHOLE team of people working on all Spidey titles are making the decision together, not just those 2

I think I just broke my wrist typing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"