What got you into Batman?

But if you haven't read pre 2000 Batman comics . . . you don't know Batman. Not like you should anyway.

You are sounding like a superior old fart there man, I started reading Batman round about the same time you did, in the late 70s for me, regularly up until the mid 80s, then I got back on board from 89-93, befoe picking it up again when Morrison took over the book in 2006, or was it 2007, can't recall.
and the Morrison books have been some of the best Batman, the most experimental and interesting, using the character to his full potential.

I apologize if I came off as "superior" in opinion. I love some of Morrison's work. Though I don't like where they went with Batman Inc.
I've read alot of Burton vs Nolan arguments on here and the whole thing just seems absurd to me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect that. But my opinion is that they both lacked in some very important areas. Burton's ideas "looked good", Nolan "helped" put together a better story which dug deeper into the comics lore. I personally feel that neither one of them deserve as much credit as they're given. Burton's films would not have been as good without Danny Elfman's score and Anton Furst's designs. Nolan's films would not have been as good without David Goyer's story line.

I got into Batman because of the animated series. God, I love Conroy and Hamill

An ad for a dutch Batman title, featuring a reprint of an 80's Batman origin story by Byrne and Aparo. Batman 89 did the rest of the pushing. My first bought comic was a dutch reprint of Grant and Breyfogle's Detective Comics #608.

I'm not sure though but I might have seen the Batman 60's show even earlier as a kid. I still remember going to the tobacco store every month and buying the new Batman and later the special.

Later on I got hooked really when the movie (1989) hit, i still remember pausing the VCR to draw the Batmobile driving through the woods.

My first US book was The Greatest Batman Stories ever told, with the Jerry Bingham cover.

Batman also introduced me to Prince, which I'm still a big fan of.

Honestly ... the Arkham Asylum video game did.

I had seen all of the movies, and enjoyed BB and TDK quite a lot. I had watched some of the animated series and the West series when I was a kid. Never read any of the comics prior to the Arkham game, though. Thought they were kid's stuff.

Realized there was some cool backstory there that I didn't know ... villains I didn't recognize, etc.. So, I've been buying some of the graphic novels since then, when I found them at a good price (at a half-price bookstore, for instance). Re-watched some of the Batman Animated Series, "The Batman", and some of the DC animated movies as well.

JB

Batman 1960s show when I was a kid...then the Burton movies (which I didn't appreciate the first one cuz it came out when I was 7 but by the time BR came out I was all about it!) I literally had every single action figure you could have...even the Catwoman figure which was aparently hard to find at the time because I remember being the only one of my friends that had it.

I got into Batman when I first saw The Dark Knight. The Joker captivated me :woot:

I got into Batman when I first saw The Dark Knight. The Joker captivated me :woot:

I think TDK brought in a lot of new fans for Batman. Same as Burton and BTAS did back in the day.

I think the Arkham Asylum game brought even more fans than TDK. Just created so incredibly, brings me back to TAS listening to Conroy and Hamill confront each other

I think the Arkham Asylum game brought even more fans than TDK. Just created so incredibly, brings me back to TAS listening to Conroy and Hamill confront each other
Agreed. As a longtime fan, Batman Arkham Asylum was more of an enjoyable experience for me than The Dark Knight. If that would have been Nolan's second movie they would have gotten my money twice and I would have bought the dvd. I only saw The Dark Knight in theaters once. Still don't own the dvd nor do I care to.

More people go to the movies than play video games. TDK would have brought in more fans. You're speaking from your own personal experience as you mention the nostalgia of BTAS. You were already a Batman fan when AA came out. TDK mania swept the world.

[YT]VpuC7HhCPWA[/YT]

Watch that and then try and tell me AA brought in more fans.

Batman: The Animated Series and the Burton films.
As for which brought more fans, The Dark Knight or Batman: Arkham Asylum, I would say The Dark Knight. The film was an event and a masterpiece of the superhero genre. It challenged people's preconceptions of the superhero genre and what it could be. Arkham Asylum was the Game of the Year for 2009, if I remember correctly, but I don't think it was the same kind of impact.

Yeah but honestly, how many people actually got into Batman when TDK had come and gone? There's not really anything, I think, that would get me into anything aside from it. A good example might be how a lot of people didn't see BB but only TDK.

Yeah but honestly, how many people actually got into Batman when TDK had come and gone? There's not really anything, I think, that would get me into anything aside from it. A good example might be how a lot of people didn't see BB but only TDK.

It has brought in it's share of the fanbase. Arkham Asylum wasn't nearly as big an event for those who weren't already Batman fans. The Dark Knight made it cool to be a Batman fan, something that I don't think Arkham Asylum can really claim.

Yeah but honestly, how many people actually got into Batman when TDK had come and gone?

Thousands I'd say if that video is anything to go by alone. It was a worldwide phenomenon. The whole world and it's mother knows who Batman is now more than ever.

There's not really anything, I think, that would get me into anything aside from it.

You're only speaking for yourself there. Not anyone else. If this forum should have taught you anything it's that not everyone thinks the way you do or shares the same tastes as you.

A good example might be how a lot of people didn't see BB but only TDK.

What difference does that make? Earlier you were trying to claim a video game drew in more fans. What makes a video game a bigger draw than a movie?

Last edited:
You know, there's not a single time in my life that I can't remember not having Batman in it. My earliest possible memory is when I'm in a car seat playing with die cast toys of Penguin's duck mobile and the Bat Ski boat so I would have to have been about 2 at the time. Combine that with growing up with BtAS and the Schumacher films and my childhood always had Batman. Growing older I got into the comics, had and Justice League/JLU and the like but what I say has really done it for me is TDK. It really brought me back to being a kid and just amazed by this iconic character and story and just revitalized my appreciation for the character.

I can't remember what got me into Batman as a kid. but when I was 11 or 12, probably after I had grown up a bit and realised how bad Batman And Robin was, I stopped liking the character. But the release of The Dark Knight rekindled my interest, and I'm thankful it did.

For me it started with the animated series and the Bat-films of the 90's as a kid. After realizing how terrible the last two films were I lost interest for a bit. I bought comics occasionally, mainly for the art because I loved seeing different interpretations from artists. When I heard BB was going to be a complete reboot and different take, it caught my interest. I picked up a few graphic novels and fell in love with the mythos. Been collecting comics ever since.

Initially, what got me into Batman was the 1989 film. As a 5-7 year old kid, it was quite good. I've since grown to truly dislike it, and to hate the three films that came after it.

What really made me into a Bat-fan, though? That was the Animated Series of 1992-1995. I remember watching every episode over and over on FOX Kids, 4 and 4:30 PM for my area, for the better part of those years.

I was vaguely familiar with different super-heroes -- X-Men and Spider-Man had fairly "to do" Animated shows on at the time as well. I recall buying a sporadic comic on occasion. I was never much of a "superhero" kid though. I spent my allowance on Ninja Turtles, G.I. Joe (which where past their hey-day by this point, but they made the best damn action figures ever!) and Power Rangers.

As I got older, I found my fondness for comicbook heroes increasing. I saw the late season of the Animated Series under it's repackage of "The Batman/Superman Adventures" and through that, began to learn more about Superman whom, I'd only really experienced through sporadic half-viewings of the Christopher Reeve films over my childhood. I mostly missed "Justice League" on CN, which was a continuation of the character from the Animated Series.

In the 2004, when the first volume of the Animated Series came out on DVD, I bought it that very day. I had been following rumors and production of Batman Begins at the time, still pretty naive, but more "in the know" than John Q. Public from the Animation and such. I remember not knowing anything about Chris Nolan, but renting Memento. I liked the look of Christian Bale and rented 8 out of every 10 movies he had done before Begins came out.

After Begins, I finally did my due diligence and started buying up graphic novels. I've read the top 25 or so of Batman ones from over the decades. I would love to read more, but I don't know which ones! LOL I'd also love to buy the comic each month, but I've got no place to buy it from. Literally. I've looked!

By the time Dark Knight was being made, I had ceased being a third-class fan. I'd read the comics, if not a lot of them a good share. Watched and re-watched the animation. Played some games. Learned about stories I'd not been able to read. I don't claim to be a huge encyclopedia bat-fan (as I am with Star Trek) but... I love the bat. He's a singular distinction in the world of mutants, aliens, robots, and other super-powered heroes. He is a human, a man, who through his drive and determination, skills and sacrifice, mind and body, manages to stand tall along side virtual gods as an equal. He appeals to a dark nature in all of us, without getting lost in the evil so often associated with that darkness. He is, without a doubt, the greatest hero of them all, any universe. If there where a real Batman, this world would be a far better -- if scarier as hell -- place. Because at least then we could have some hope that someone out there was watching out for us all, instead of just their bottom-line.

New batman fan all thanks to my spur of the moment buying Arkham Asylum 3 Months ago.

I'm 27 years old and there's never been a time in my life that I wasn't "into" Batman. My mom used to buy me Batman comics since before I could read and I have early memories of watching 1960s Batman and Super Friends reruns while playing with Batman action figures.

Batman ranks among very few things where I was too young to remember the "jumping on" point and, out of those things, Batman is the only thing that I've continued to be a big fan of.

I will say, though, that TAS is "my Batman" when it comes to favorite versions.

heath's joker and then one of my really good friends hated spider man and I had hated batman but we made a deal to look at the best stuff from each other ch. and that got me into the ch. and made my friend like spidy so win win.

Played a Justice League game in PS2, got fascinated with Bats, then started to collect comics about him and stuff, then eventually, became a Batfan!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"