Homecoming What happens if this movie fails?

harryoscop

Avenger
Reaction score
Like, where does Sony go from there? do they sell the rights completely? do they pull Spidey out of the MCU and continue with TASM franchise? do they bring Raimi/Maguire back for SM4?

And most importantly, how does this affect Marvel?

It has Marvel's name on it. That's all it takes. If the majority of MCU films were outside the umbrella of the MCU and had no connections, most of them would've failed. I'm sorry, but you just can't tell me Thor 1/2, Cap 1, IM 2/3 are better movies than TASM (regardless of personal dislikes in the movie).

This movie is a guaranteed success with Marvel's 'official' involvement

If an Unknown comic book can be a success in Guardians of The Galaxy I'm sure A Spider-Man movie can if done right

If the movie fails, if I were Sony I would seriously consider moving Spider-Man to TV.
Even with a huge budget they would make their money back with syndication.
Build up a TV following and make a movie with the TV cast.

I think Marvel will do what they have to across the entire film making spectrum in order for this not to be a flop.

Spider-Man is one of the best characters that Marvel has. They (Sony and Marvel) need to get people that love and respect the character at the top levels and then don't attempt to micro-manage the process.

Well, that's what I think any way...

SONY is backed into a corner. They don't have many options if this fails. My biggest concern is that if this fails, it also affects the MCU. However, there are some points to take into account. I think Marvel/SONY will play it safe here. Granted, casting an actual teenager is not playing it safe, but other than that. Storywise they'll play it safe. No parents subplot with hints at destiny or anything like that. They'll likely stay very true to the source material of the 60s-70s comics when it comes to the origin, the characters etc. I think we're likely to get a Peter Parker / Spider-Man done right.

The thing that I can see might fail is the film quality as a whole, like Iron Man 2 and Thor: The Dark World. In that case, yeah Spider-Man is in a bad position but not in a way that ruins him or the MCU. Much like Thor hasn't been ruined by The Dark World. As long as they stay true to the characters so there's not a NEED to reboot again.

SONY is backed into a corner. They don't have many options if this fails. My biggest concern is that if this fails, it also affects the MCU. However, there are some points to take into account. I think Marvel/SONY will play it safe here. Granted, casting an actual teenager is not playing it safe, but other than that. Storywise they'll play it safe. No parents subplot with hints at destiny or anything like that. They'll likely stay very true to the source material of the 60s-70s comics when it comes to the origin, the characters etc. I think we're likely to get a Peter Parker / Spider-Man done right.

The thing that I can see might fail is the film quality as a whole, like Iron Man 2 and Thor: The Dark World. In that case, yeah Spider-Man is in a bad position but not in a way that ruins him or the MCU. Much like Thor hasn't been ruined by The Dark World. As long as they stay true to the characters so there's not a NEED to reboot again.

You say Marvel/Sony will play it safe, I say the CAN'T play it safe. If they make a paint by numbers, run of the mill movie then the general audience aren't going to bother turning up to see it. I suspect Marvel will push Spider-Man well out of his comfort zone and give us something we truly haven't seen before.

You say Marvel/Sony will play it safe, I say the CAN'T play it safe. If they make a paint by numbers, run of the mill movie then the general audience aren't going to bother turning up to see it. I suspect Marvel will push Spider-Man well out of his comfort zone and give us something we truly haven't seen before.

Well, I should correct myself. They're already taking risks by making Peter Parker an actual teenager. But I doubt they'll experiment on Peter's origin or personality. They'll, as Feige already has said, focus on getting the comic book Peter Parker right.

Peter Parker will be fresh in the way that he's the teenager in the MCU. In what other ways can Marvel/Sony experiment successfully? By making Miles Morales Spider-Man? No thank you. By making Peter Parker homosexual? No thank you. Those things would just be shallow changes that would alienate many fans of the source material.

Nothing really. I'm sure Marvel has specific terms written into the contracts - there's no way they'd let Sony introduce Spidey into their universe and then completely pull him away from them again.

This movie will be a guaranteed success due to Marvel's name being involved with Sony.

Simple as that and also no need to panic, dear friend.

011973475147E2CC1F9AE9

Marvel: And if you fail?

original.jpg

Spider-Man: I won't...

Well, I should correct myself. They're already taking risks by making Peter Parker an actual teenager. But I doubt they'll experiment on Peter's origin or personality. They'll, as Feige already has said, focus on getting the comic book Peter Parker right.

Peter Parker will be fresh in the way that he's the teenager in the MCU. In what other ways can Marvel/Sony experiment successfully? By making Miles Morales Spider-Man? No thank you. By making Peter Parker homosexual? No thank you. Those things would just be shallow changes that would alienate many fans of the source material.
They could have Flash Thompson and some other guys think Peter's gay because of his looks. Would that also be too much?

They could have Flash Thompson and some other guys think Peter's gay because of his looks. Would that also be too much?

Easy question. Yes, because Peter shouldn't "look gay".

How do would he "look gay"? Is he going to be wearing a rainbow flag into school?

He is puny, short and nerdy. That's enough for bullies to come up with everything.

He is puny, short and nerdy. That's enough for bullies to come up with everything.

I don't get where you're coming from with this. Do you want them to think he's gay or something and be bullied because of that? What's your point?

What does being puny, short and nerdy have to do with one's sexual orientation? :huh:

Have you ever encountered the worst kind of bullies, Oscorp? Then you understand what I mean.

Before the bite, he couldn't get a girlfriend
I still don't see where you're going with that? What does his ability to get a girl/girlfriend have to do with his sexual orientation? If he was gay, and couldn't get a guy would one assume that he's straight?

Have you ever encountered the worst kind of bullies, Oscorp? Then you understand what I mean.

I know how bullies can behave. I wonder why you're so interested in bullies thinking Peter is gay, though. That's very specific. You asked me if I'd be okay with bullies calling him gay because of his looks, because I said I don't want Peter to actually be gay (just as an example of experimenting with the character in the wrong way). Then I'd say that I don't want Peter to "look gay" since that's what you implied. With that I mean stereotypical gay, since there's nothing that says heterosexual and homosexual can't dress alike.

Before the bite, he couldn't get a girlfriend

I'm still failing to see your point with this. Is this why you think Isaac is such a good fit for Peter? Because he "looks gay" to you, or what? This discussion is getting weird.

I still don't see where you're going with that? What does his ability to get a girl/girlfriend have to do with his sexual orientation?
Bullies could easily see the this as a reason to mock him. They are inventive when it comes to making someone feel bad.
It doesn't even need to be true. They just decide that what they say is a "fact".

If the movie fails?
Guess what?
No, guess.

Spidey will be like Hulk, makes appearances, but not have his own movie.

Bullies could easily see the this as a reason to mock him. They are inventive when it comes to making someone feel bad.
It doesn't even need to be true. They just decide that what they say is a "fact".

It's just so oddly specific that you seem to ask for the bullies to think he's gay because he's puny, short and nerdy. Is there some kind of scene you have in mind where he stands up for gay people? Or is it to justify Isaac as Peter because he looks feminine?

I know how bullies can behave. I wonder why you're so interested in bullies thinking Peter is gay, though. That's very specific. You asked me if I'd be okay with bullies calling him gay because of his looks, because I said I don't want Peter to actually be gay (just as an example of experimenting with the character in the wrong way). Then I'd say that I don't want Peter to "look gay" since that's what you implied. With that I mean stereotypical gay, since there's nothing that says heterosexual and homosexual can't dress alike.

I'm still failing to see your point with this. Is this why you think Isaac is such a good fit for Peter? Because he "looks gay" to you, or what? This discussion is getting weird.
My point is what bullies think and do. They find an easy prey in someone who looks weak and different.
Again, the character would neither be gay or appear to be, in order for bullies to claim he is.

It's nothing to do with me having Isaac as my second choice. Why do you think so?
Because you have the opinion that he's feminine? I can't remember me ever having said that though.
But do you know what? Holland could also be teased for the same if he plays Peter, actually. He's short and no jock type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"