Homecoming What happens if this movie fails?

I think Spider-Man should be moved over to TV. Not just if it fails, I think they should do it now. The variety of characters and different plot lines that Spider-Man actually has would be perfect and, if executed correctly, Spider-Man could be a great TV series that could last years! What do ya'll think?

it would work better on tv cause of the development and characters and all. But marvel/sony/etc..... like movies more since its a bigger gain for them. Vs doing tv/online is a longer wait on returns plus the costs for the character/his world on tv would be alot harder to pull off in a weekly series.

It will make a butt load of money. 1. Because it's Spider-man and 2. because it's now under the umbrella of MCU. It will not fail.

But if for some reason it actually fails financially at the box office, they just won't make anymore and he'll either serve as a cameo in the MCU, a la Hulk, or they'll wait a few years and reboot him once again.

Sony might reboot in another seven years. OR Spidey will be reduced to a supporting character (like Hulk) in future MCU movies.

Its not gonna fail. If its underwhelming in terms of BO like ASM 2 we'll still see another Spiderman film or see Spiderman in another team up eventually because there's too much money to walk away from. It may be rebooted again, they may recast, etc, but we would see the property again in one form or another. This is a profitable franchise and not one off or one and done efforts like John Carter of Mars and The Last Airbender. Like Batman, Superman, and Bond, the franchise may stumble, and may fall now and then, but the character endures and the character consistently makes money. If the next solo film fails, worse comes to worse, they'll recast or go a different direction.

It's Marvel's poster child. It won't fail.

Guys, the whole point of this thread is a 'What if?' scenario. what if the movie failed? what would happen to the franchise?

I already gave my answer, which is that is the film fails its not the end of the world. We will see the character in another movie one way or another. The worse that could happen is another reboot. Even if , hypothetically , the film totally failed, we would still get another movie. Maybe not for a while but it would happen. If you wanna know what would happen hypothetically if the film would fail , all you have to do is look back at history with B&R and Superman 4, or with recent history with the ASM 2 and SM3 , and all of those films save Superman 4 were still profitable enough to justify another film. They all eventually led to reboots. In short, every would be okay.

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't have said that as a definitive statement. Although I 100% believe it, it is still an opinion.

Idk, me personally, I've rewatched TASM many many times and enjoy it every time. And all those MCU films, they're 1 and done with me. I literally find myself unable to rewatch those. They're decent films, but there's just nothing truly gripping at all about them to me. Such little character development. The characters are always (or at least usually) around just to serve the plot, instead of the character being the plot themselves

Spider-man films have always centered around what's happening to Peter Parker, what he's going through and learning. With the exception of IM1 (Cap1 almost went there), all the MCU movies are about what major, earth threatening event is happening. And while that can be entertaining, it's just not enough for me to really love and connect with a movie, personally and emotionally

I agree entirely. I find myself watching TASM and the Nolan trilogy more than the MCU films, but I could be biased cause those are my two favorite heroes of all time. But yeah, even Marvel film does follow a particular formula for each one. And I like TASM2 before Thor 2, IM2, IM3 maybe not Cap 2.

But back to the topic at hand... what if? Well maybe Marvel can make a comic out of it! :woot: The cover can show Sony's decline on the news in the background with Amy Pascal being strangled by her boss.
If it fails I think Sony may FINALLY cut Spider-Man and would rather sell him off to MARVEL (if that's possible) to get whatever money they can. I wish I could find the numbers, but I know they have made more than their share of money back from buying the Spider-man license. They could be getting to a point where they just can't optimize the IP anymore for profit. And I think Spidey will go into hiding for a while kinda like what happened to Batman after Batman & Robin but Marvel may opt to keep him in Avengers films. Personally, I want Spider-Man milked to death, as long as each installment is entertaining and good BUT the general audience may have a Spider-Man fatigue and will not go to see Spider-Man, good or not and he'll have to be shelved for a while.

With marvel in picture I doubt we see another reboot after this. Since we haven't rebooted other characters in mcu. We just replaced actors for what ever reasons and moved on. So ya I doubt if it fails we would reboot again. We likely would just see no solo films for awhile. And just have spidey do cameos in others solos or team films. And if this film fails likely drop x actor for another.

Regardless of how the movie does they can't reboot. They need to keep going till they find their groove. Look at fast and furious, they didn't hit their stride till the 5th movie.

A reboot would really depend on whether it was Sony or Marvel which was the driving force. Sony would certainly reboot, and at this point its hard to argue that they wouldn't reboot given their past history.

Marvel on the other hand, I would agree would likely recast , which they have done before with Ed Norton and Terrance Howard, or retool ,as has been suggested. It be hard to conceive of Marvel totally just messing up to the point the film would fail. More likely it would fail do to Sony's wacky ideas and micromanaging.

What if it fails?

Fails Critically: Then Spider-Man will have to be excepted as a film franchise that will never reach it's true potential.

Fails Financially: Then we'll never get a sequel and SpiderMan will only appear in cameo roles in Marvel films. Or maybe we will but with a lower budget and that will show in the quality of the films.

Fails Both: Then it will be rare we ever see Spider-Man on a screen that isn't your TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"