What has been your experience with Marvel?

LimeyPotato

Civilian
Reaction score
Hello there,

I am a third year Graphic Designer and I am doing a milestones project on Marvel. At the moment, I have content consisting of a basic timeline, and how the comics have effected situations and events in the world and visa versa. I have written tiny snippets about artists and writers and the exchange of ownership. What my content is lacking is a more personal touch.

I have come to ask the fans of Marvel to provide that personal touch. What was your first Marvel Comic? How do the books make you feel? Do you relate to any of the superheros? how do you feel about the ownership of superheros and marvels contracts? what are your experiences? How did you response to the films?

I don't need these questions answered specifically, what I am looking for is the fan experience. I myself got into comics pretty late in my life. and started with Graphic Novels, cartoons and I have grown ever more fond of it since the films came out. I recently borrowed 'Demon in a Bottle' Iron Man from the library and I wonder how I never got into comics sooner! As a designer, I am to communicate the milestones of my chosen subject, and rather than just provide any old timeline, it would be nice if it was filled with fan experiences along side it. After all, if the fans didn't read or watch the comics or films, where would it be?

I will be using user names and not real names for quotes, with your permissions of course. Any help and input would really bring this document out of black and white.

I have been looking at discussions around the forum and collected some content, but it would be nice to get some quotes permitted from you guys!

Thanks, LimeyPotato.

Hello there,
Hi Potato.
Good luck with your project. :)

I have come to ask the fans of Marvel to provide that personal touch.
I'm willing to answer what I can.
What was your first Marvel Comic?
Web of Spider-Man 69
How do the books make you feel?
There is plenty of $#%^ all over the place, but I enjoyed most of what I read.
Do you relate to any of the superheros?
I can answer a yes, mostly to Spider-Man, and a little to Moon Knight, somewhat to Iron Man.
how do you feel about the ownership of superheros and marvels contracts?
I love their animated projects, Spider-Man shows before the 90s one, the 80s Hulk cartoon, and the Bixby/Ferrigno show made me a fan of these characters.
As a gamer, their game contracts entertained me more than it did others.
what are your experiences? How did you response to the films?
I enjoyed most of their movies, no problem with any company. Except LionsGate, the majority of the movies from that studio are lame.

I don't need these questions answered specifically, what I am looking for is the fan experience. I myself got into comics pretty late in my life. and started with Graphic Novels, cartoons and I have grown ever more fond of it since the films came out. I recently borrowed 'Demon in a Bottle' Iron Man from the library and I wonder how I never got into comics sooner! As a designer, I am to communicate the milestones of my chosen subject, and rather than just provide any old timeline, it would be nice if it was filled with fan experiences along side it. After all, if the fans didn't read or watch the comics or films, where would it be?
Sweet, that issue is good.
I'd assume the fanbase of comics wouldn't be as big as it is now if not for Marvel Studios movies, Spider-Man 1 & 2, and 4 of the X-Men films.

I will be using user names and not real names for quotes, with your permissions of course. Any help and input would really bring this document out of black and white.
Ok by me.

Cheers for your response :) Do you have a favorite spider-man series and is there anything that you would recommend to other fans?

I defiantly agree that the films have opened up the world to quite a lot of people. For me, it was the cartoons I used to watch so when the films came out I was excited, and it got me into reading actual comic books. The film industry is certainly much more accessible.

I have come to ask the fans of Marvel to provide that personal touch. What was your first Marvel Comic? How do the books make you feel? Do you relate to any of the superheros? how do you feel about the ownership of superheros and marvels contracts? what are your experiences? How did you response to the films?

I have been looking at discussions around the forum and collected some content, but it would be nice to get some quotes permitted from you guys!

Thanks, LimeyPotato.

My First comic I remember getting is What if? 24 Vol 2.

wolverine.jpeg

I read Marvel comics before and it was the usual superhero stuff wwith nothing standing out much. That was the first time I even knew they had vampires in the MU. This was also the first time I ever saw them just murder everybody like it was nothing. All the superheroes, villains and whatever, all either vampires or murdered right in front of you. That blew my mind and made me a massive fan of the What if? books.

There's been a huge number of comics/graphic novels that are just spectacularly written and drawn. One of my favorite stories is Whatever happened to the Caped Crusader. It's written by Neil Gaiman (one of my favorite authors) and it basically is just a goodbye for when he 'died'. Instead of a cliche funeral though, they gave him a funeral for all the versions of him, everything from his original start in the 30's, through the Adam West 60's up to today.

Also, for some reading on how varied and interesting some of the Marvel books can get, try reading Marvels. It's a comic series from a viewpoint of a photographer that starts around the 1930's when Marvel comics really started with Namor, the Human Torch and through WWII up to the death of Gwen Stacy.

As for why I read Marvel, I prefer them as I find DC has too many Godlike characters. If everyone in the book is some nigh invincible god and we just see them beating each other through buildings at lightspeed for six books then wheres the fun in that? I'd prefer to see books where the hero has to live a life, deal with bills, relationships and still try and do what they think is right. If you have Superman just living as Clark, working his job and then he has to leave the planet for six weeks to fight mecha jesus or whatever, when do we ever see his boss firing him? Anyone else does that they get canned. He just gets back to work like he never left. If he wants to take a break, he flies off to his ice fortress with his robot servants. If Spider-Man wants a break he has to hide somewhere so people don't try to shoot him because he's a wanted man for some murder rap some supervillain pinned on him. That's if his boss didn't hire people to make giant robots for the express purpose of his murder. I don't think he's had a day off since the 60's.

Any quotes are fine.

Cheers for your response :) Do you have a favorite spider-man series and is there anything that you would recommend to other fans?
I just love everything Spider-Man, no favorite title.
Ultimate Spider-Man is easy to catch up to.
Amazing Spider-Man classics are my favorite, first 300 issues.

My First comic I remember getting is What if? 24 Vol 2.

wolverine.jpeg

All the superheroes, villains and whatever, all either vampires or murdered right in front of you. That blew my mind and made me a massive fan of the What if? books.
One of my favorite stories is Whatever happened to the Caped Crusader. It's written by Neil Gaiman (one of my favorite authors) and it basically is just a goodbye for when he 'died'.

As for why I read Marvel, I prefer them as I find DC has too many Godlike characters. If everyone in the book is some nigh invincible god and we just see them beating each other through buildings at lightspeed for six books then wheres the fun in that? I'd prefer to see books where the hero has to live a life, deal with bills, relationships and still try and do what they think is right.

Any quotes are fine.

Wow I didn't even know they had vampire versions! Totally want to go read one now! That's pretty awesome xD I love Neil Gaiman, my friend just got the Marvel 1602 and I can't wait to borrow it from him!

I see, that makes complete sense. In my research, it spoke a lot about writers wanting to give superheros a flawed humanity, but a humanity none the less. Defiantly makes them relatable and spider-man is very easy to relate to in terms of his age and character.

Thank's a lot for your response! Anything you would also recommend? :) (decided I'm going to have a recommendations page at the back. I also noticed a thread for beginners so I'm hoping to put that in too.)

I just love everything Spider-Man, no favorite title.
Ultimate Spider-Man is easy to catch up to.
Amazing Spider-Man classics are my favorite, first 300 issues.

I see, thank you :D Just found Amazing Spider-Man in the library so when I am done with Iron Man and 1602 probably going to start reading ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"