What if there was no Phoenix in X3?

no to b**** but phoenix was kinda screw up, all zombie looking and none of that "happy to have so much power that my eyes glow in the dark/psychotic" look. The point of having a phoenix is to see her powers and the firebird or some kind of form of it. My biggest regret is actually thinking we were gonna get what we wanted to see when avi arad gave us that useless x3 spoiler in the fantastic 4 dvd making us believe it was gonna be the greatest thing ever with phrases like "we set a tone, its gonna be dark..." and other vage info

In the end of X2 they showed the Phoenix(Firebird)flying underwater. And in X3 they completely thrashed it and instead they made her a Sadako clone.

^^^ And instead we got Carrie on steroids, with Willow's facial makeup from Buffy. We got an evil alter-ego that calls itself "phoenix" with no explanation as to why "phoenix" and not "Drusilla" or "Aardvark" or "Mary", and never referring to itself as "phoenix" again for the rest of the film. Never mind no hint of any fire or fiery auro or firebird or bird-like effects. Someone goofed.

I think the best way to have treated the pheonix was to leave her out of the main story of the movie, for the third one anyways. The thrid movie should have simply been about the cure. I think a grat story for x3 would have been soemthing along the lines of: when a cure is found for the mutant gene, lines are drawn in the mutant community, and as the human race begins to cross that line, the fat of many ..will depend ona few.
It should have been about the xmen learning about not only other mutants, but about other mutant groups other then juts them and the brotherhood. they could have introduced the morlocks and the hellfire club to bespecific. It should have been about the different idealists in the groups, and what they stand for (the xmen being the clear heroes). It could have been about how there is only two sides to the battle feild, the good and the bad. and these groups dispurse to choose their sides. Thats all the movie should have been about. This wayt they could have scott meet emma frost and from a relationship with her while he is trying to get over jean, igve time for kitty pride to enter into the mix, and have other characters play more leading roles. It should have ended with the government realizing that the cure was not a good way to subdue the mutant population, and find plan b. the sentinels. futhermore it should have ended with scott finding out from the probfessor about jeans extreme powers. goign to alakali lake and finding a firey phoenix floatiing above the water, just for a 1 minute scene tho. and then it should be over. that would set up for a good x4 based on ddark phoenix as the main conflict. instead of being a side project.

xphoenix_forcex said:
I think the best way to have treated the pheonix was to leave her out of the main story of the movie, for the third one anyways. The thrid movie should have simply been about the cure. I think a grat story for x3 would have been soemthing along the lines of: when a cure is found for the mutant gene, lines are drawn in the mutant community, and as the human race begins to cross that line, the fat of many ..will depend ona few.

:up: Absolutely! I couldn't agree more. Especially since it's clear that both plat points in X3 were interferring with each other, and it's only for the sake of simplicity that they found a way to have Jean join Magneto to at least let them be in the same place at the same time, when instead she could have easily run off in her own direction and then left the X-Men with a double dilemna: Stop Jean? or stop Magneto?

It should have been about the xmen learning about not only other mutants, but about other mutant groups other then juts them and the brotherhood. they could have introduced the morlocks and the hellfire club to bespecific. It should have been about the different idealists in the groups, and what they stand for (the xmen being the clear heroes). It could have been about how there is only two sides to the battle feild, the good and the bad. and these groups dispurse to choose their sides. Thats all the movie should have been about.

This is another interesting point. Having beat Magneto's army and come to grips with what the Cure represents and whether or not people should take it, maybe have the X-men realize once again that they aren't about "curing" mutants, but instead teaching mutants to develop and control their powers and themselves, if anything it would have given them some much needed insight and resolve to finally deal with Jean and her new problems when the time came around to that. Certainly things would be more positive as they would be more supportive or her and much prefer that she learn control instead of being cured or killed.

This way they could have scott meet emma frost and from a relationship with her while he is trying to get over jean, igve time for kitty pride to enter into the mix, and have other characters play more leading roles.
Yes, the Emma Frost tension would have been interesting.

It should have ended with the government realizing that the cure was not a good way to subdue the mutant population, and find plan b. the sentinels.
Agreed! Especially after all the damage caused by evil cerebro in X2 and the destruction around Alcatraz, that would be as good a way as any for some radical government faction to launch the sentinels project, as obviously mutants cannot be willingly controlled and are very very dangerous.

the fact that phoenix played no part in the overall storyline of the cure (except to just destroy everything right at the end) makes me say that it should've never been included in the movie

they didn't capture anything about phoenix..disregarding cyclops lack of any involvement, they completely botched it big time ..

yeah not even a stupid flame... i know you can't translate everything from comic to movie.. we can skip the aliens, the m'kraan crystal, the fight on the moon, CYCLOPS !!!, the spandex costumes... but the FLAMES ! c'mon !

The flames worked in X-2, I don't see how they wouldn't have worked in X-3.:o

She just should have been saved for X-4 or something.

cyke93 said:
yeah not even a stupid flame... i know you can't translate everything from comic to movie.. we can skip the aliens, the m'kraan crystal, the fight on the moon, CYCLOPS !!!, the spandex costumes... but the FLAMES ! c'mon !

If there are no flames, then why does it call itself Phoenix? Maybe technically, this isn't a "what-if" thread. Truth be told, it seems we didn't get the Phoenix in X3 after all, just a really demended, ticked off Jean.

^Well, we don't know why she called herself phoenix, but she's kind of crazy anyway. And in all honesty we don't know why Marie calls herself rogue in the movies, so whetever.

The movie Phoenix was amazing!!! Before watching the movies I didn't like Jean grey, in fact I hated her but after watching the trilogy, especially X3 where she becomes Phoenix I became quite found of her.

Decay said:
The movie Phoenix was amazing!!! Before watching the movies I didn't like Jean grey, in fact I hated her but after watching the trilogy, especially X3 where she becomes Phoenix I became quite found of her.

What made you so fond of her in X3? There was nothing left of the qualities that made her good or likeable in the first place. that wasn't even the real Jean after Alkali Lake

:confused:

Decay has a point. Alot of non fans have told me that they didn't really care for Jean in the first two. But in X3 they think she's pretty darn cool.

And face it, phoenix was a selling point of the movie, and the most memorable of all three movies.

My friends (actors) thought she was insanely evil and everything she needed to be... they wished they could play a part like that.

wow, isnt it incredible? there's this girl in my college, she saw me drawing X-men and said "cool, you're a fan! have you watched X3?" I said yes and she asked me if Rogue was finally cool. I said she is more like a cameo, and then she asked me if it revolves around Jean. I said "a lot" and she then went "meh, i hate her, dont know if i will see it". I told her it would have the Dark Phoenix Saga and she told me she knew it, but she could never like Jean, she always thought she was boring and full of drama.

Well, about two weeks later she came to me and said "Flavio, i take everything out. Jean is wonderful! God i just learned to love her after X3". I was really surprised. Most people i talked to about X3 said they loved Jean, and how Professor wasnt a god. They said it was good to see he also has defects. (but everyone said "damn but he died..."). In this point i agree, though i started to love Jean after X2...

Its good to know most general viewers enjoyed Jean's arc. Mostly everyone (who i talked to) thought she was boring in the first two films (at least those who didnt understand those flames and their meaning). Indeed, her character had more emotions, and actually a protuberant personality. I agree, X3 easily made her one of the most memorable of the trilogy (although it would happen nonetheless, since the phoenix plot was a must) along with Logan, Storm and Magneto. They, along with Rogue, are easily the most "it" characters, those who i've seen refered in classes, random talks (like when a lightning appears one of my classmates said "wow thats typical of Storm")...

I think because all three movies had a lot to do with Jean, she was actually the star of the series. I know y'all would argue that it's Wolverine... but what he's done fails in comparison to Jean. Sure, he had more screen time. But everything portrayed with Jean in the movies is so much more... Maybe it's just because I don't like Wolverine - but looking back, the real storyline dealt with her... at least, in terms of the team - whereas Wolvie's dealt with his self.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"