The Dark Knight What is Batman Strength level?

boyscouT said:
that trolley probably weighed... hmmm 15 kids + 1 adult ~ 2000 pounds... then add the trolley which would be... another ton?

wtf... 10 tons? stan lee messed up there, lol.
i can't even fathom something that would weigh that much.

Some of Marvel's character strength level are just ridiculous. Granted, DC probably has some too, but I like to go over to Marvel Directory and just check things out. Even though, it's not official, it's usually plenty spot-on when it comes to that stuff. They go all the way to Class 100. Seriously, who needs to lift 200,000 lbs?

boyscouT said:
that trolley probably weighed... hmmm 15 kids + 1 adult ~ 2000 pounds... then add the trolley which would be... another ton?

wtf... 10 tons? stan lee messed up there, lol.
i can't even fathom something that would weigh that much.

Since a trolley is simply a bus without an engine, it's probably closer to 3 or 4 tons. 15 kids and a couple of adults would weigh about a ton.

Add that he was also trying to stop it when it was already falling.

They got it about right. Just try and catch something weight 50 lbs from 15 feet up and see how easy it is.

War Lord said:
Since a trolley is simply a bus without an engine, it's probably closer to 3 or 4 tons. 15 kids and a couple of adults would weigh about a ton.

They got it about right. Just try and catch something weight 50 lbs from 15 feet up and see how easy it is.

That trolley's not that big. I used to ride it; It's nowhere near as big as a bus. I wish it was, it would have made for a more pleasant commute.:)

Your point's taken though. Catching the trolley was definately a show of strength, it just wasn't overt enough for me. I wish studios didn't feel the need to depower characters like that.

DC doesn't really like to state Batman's stats because he's supposed to be a decathalete who's just off record stats, but the stats keep moving up.

It's safe to assume that whatever the current record is, he's just under it.

War Lord said:
DC doesn't really like to state Batman's stats because he's supposed to be a decathalete who's just off record stats, but the stats keep moving up.

It's safe to assume that whatever the current record is, he's just under it.

When I read that, for some reason I got a vision of Batman in one of those 'World's Strongest Man' competitions you see on ESPN. He'd be kicking ass in all the events, while some dudes named Magnus and Lars were all pissed.

War Lord said:

good analysis but,

it didn't 'look' like it was on par with spideys strength.. u feel me? the general public needs something HUGE for spiderman to use his strength on

Mister J said:
When I read that, for some reason I got a vision of Batman in one of those 'World's Strongest Man' competitions you see on ESPN. He'd be kicking ass in all the events, while some dudes named Magnus and Lars were all pissed.

LMFAO whenver i see that on ESPN it always looks like they replay the SAME year over and over

boyscouT said:
good analysis but,

it didn't 'look' like it was on par with spideys strength.. u feel me? the general public needs something HUGE for spiderman to use his strength on

How about stopping an entire subway train, with passengers?

Would that work with you?

boywondernerdDC said:
batman stats state 750lbs is his max lift

Where'd you see that?

War Lord said:
How about stopping an entire subway train, with passengers?

Would that work with you?

mister J and i discussed this before... it has more to do with friction / inertia than it does with showing how much he can lift or how strong he is.

and if he's so smart, what he should have done is web the electrical line so the train loses power.

wow, 725 pound bench for Bats? Thats crazy. The strongest human beings ever can bench around that much, ever.... and they're all more like Bane looks-wise. Around 1,000 is the world record, but the guy who does it weighs 380 pounds. Batman is in peak physical condition, but he's only human.... weighing around 220 he aint benching no 700+ pounds (not disputing that the number exists out there in his stats, just saying its ridiculous). Weights like that are reserved for Ronnie Coleman/Offensive Guard types.... Batman cant be the fastest, strongest, AND most agile human to ever life, its just not physically possible (granted we're talking about a comic, but 700+ is way inflated.) As someone who lifts pretty hard, I'd say around 500 would be amazing and make him one of the pound for pound strongest guys in the world.

Suspension of belief.

accepting that a guy who runs like an Olympic Sprinter and tumbles like an Olympic Gymnast can bench 500 pounds is WAY suspending disbelief.

antmanx68 said:
accepting that a guy who runs like an Olympic Sprinter and tumbles like an Olympic Gymnast can bench 500 pounds is WAY suspending disbelief.

Just a little further from 500 to 700+.:)

antmanx68 said:
wow, 725 pound bench for Bats? Thats crazy. The strongest human beings ever can bench around that much, ever.... and they're all more like Bane looks-wise. Around 1,000 is the world record, but the guy who does it weighs 380 pounds. Batman is in peak physical condition, but he's only human.... weighing around 220 he aint benching no 700+ pounds (not disputing that the number exists out there in his stats, just saying its ridiculous). Weights like that are reserved for Ronnie Coleman/Offensive Guard types.... Batman cant be the fastest, strongest, AND most agile human to ever life, its just not physically possible (granted we're talking about a comic, but 700+ is way inflated.) As someone who lifts pretty hard, I'd say around 500 would be amazing and make him one of the pound for pound strongest guys in the world.

Actually, if you take a look at some pictures of old time body builders, some of them are capable of benching world record lifts, but are built like Batman, so that is perfectly plausible. Franco Columbo is an example of that.

However, comics are about pushing the bounds of the unbelievable and you gotta accept that.

antmanx68 said:

Its a comic book dude. If u can believe a man can get bitten by a radioactive spider and survive plus gain 10 ton strength and shoot webbing throught his hands and climb walls, how hard it is to believe batman can lift 700+ pounds.

Spiderman has SUPER-human powers because of the spider, Batman's a normal human.

Its way different. Spiderman in general takes way more suspension of disbelief, its more out there. Batman has always been more based in reality.

A reality where a girl can do spells by saying a sentence backwords and people can fly.:rolleyes:

The 750 bench thing is just crazy. The guys that can do that have lots of bulk and weigh close to 400ish pounds, Batman is supposed to weigh only around 230. His body is just not bulky enough to lift that much weight. No one, I reapeat NO ONE, who weights 230 will ever bench 750lbs unless its one of those situations where they're liked trapped under a car. It's just not realistic. Bats wouldn't want to bench 750 either, because to get his body to that level, he'd have to gain more bulk which would slow him down. Realistically, he'd want to be around the 350 range, 400 tops.

But of course this is a comics so I guess they can blow it out of proportion, but still, Bats is supposed to be a character who is a little more grounded then the average superhero.

antmanx68 said:
Spiderman has SUPER-human powers because of the spider, Batman's a normal human.

Its way different. Spiderman in general takes way more suspension of disbelief, its more out there. Batman has always been more based in reality.

Yeah but its still a comic book and spiderman was a human before he got bitten by that radioacive spider which means that adds a lot of suspension of disbelief because no one human can survive that. They can make batman how strong they want because don't matter how much the comic feels realistic its still a comic book, a work of fiction where anything can be possible.

Infinity9999x said:
The 750 bench thing is just crazy. The guys that can do that have lots of bulk and weigh close to 400ish pounds, Batman is supposed to weigh only around 230. His body is just not bulky enough to lift that much weight. No one, I reapeat NO ONE, who weights 230 will ever bench 750lbs unless its one of those situations where they're liked trapped under a car. It's just not realistic. Bats wouldn't want to bench 750 either, because to get his body to that level, he'd have to gain more bulk which would slow him down. Realistically, he'd want to be around the 350 range, 400 tops.

But of course this is a comics so I guess they can blow it out of proportion, but still, Bats is supposed to be a character who is a little more grounded then the average superhero.

Although Batman should weigh closer to 250, a lot of what he can do can be explained from a physiological standpoint. A person who is who has a high degree of fast twitch fibers in his muscles tends to be inordinarily strong for his weight.

Batman would be on the very extreme of that and that would explain his combination of agility, power, and strength.

However, his endurance would be compromised because people who have a lot of fast twitch tend to not have a lot of endurance, because being fast twitch means that when you do a lift, most of your muscle fibers are involved and the glycogen stored would get used quickly and so he'd also tire quickly.

Evidence of this fact is that when he took on Captain America, it was a quick battle and he lost because, though they aren't too far apart in strength, he didn't have the endurance to keep battling.

BUt also keep in mind that for what he does, he doesn't really need a lot of endurance because most of his activities comprise stalking, striking out in the dark, and quick merciless fights.

antmanx68 said:

Precisely. If you can bench 700 lbs., there's no way in hell you're fast/flexible/agile enough to do the things Batman is supposed to do.

Orko Is King said:
Precisely. If you can bench 700 lbs., there's no way in hell you're fast/flexible/agile enough to do the things Batman is supposed to do.

Agility is merely a ratio of body weight and strength.

As a combination, the stronger somebody is and the lighter they weigh, the more agile they are going to be. If they are stronger, but heavier, they aren't going to be as agile and neither will they be agile if they are lighter, but weaker.

But somebody who is as strong as possible, but also as light as possible are going to be as agile as possible.

War Lord said:
Agility is merely a ratio of body weight and strength.

As a combination, the stronger somebody is and the lighter they weigh, the more agile they are going to be. If they are stronger, but heavier, they aren't going to be as agile and neither will they be agile if they are lighter, but weaker.

But somebody who is as strong as possible, but also as light as possible are going to be as agile as possible.

Like Bruce Lee?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"