• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What is DC Entertainment doing? What is their plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't there an embargo on Ra's and Scarecrow for The Batman as well ?

Yes, but the embargo also meant that any characters appearing in "The Batman" couldn't appear in Justice League, except for Batman himself. It also extended to other heroes like Aquaman, who stopped showing up in Justice League around the same time that the character started getting used in the TV shows Smallville and Entourage (in the latter though, it was a fake movie within the show). Basically, it was a convinient way for Warner Bros. to screw over Bruce Timm and Dwayne McDuffie while also patronizing the audience, all wrapped up in a nice greasy crust of stupid.

Marvel didn't start making their own movies until 2008 though. And they still managed to get their characters out there when they were in a worse position than DC is at WB. At least DC should have more control over the characters while they are being made. I say that...but then Jonah Hex jumps up and slaps me in the face. :( Hopefully WB had more to do with that than DC did!

So to me, DC has been in a better position from the start and still is falling behind.

DC is owned by WB, DC is WB. Marvel until recently weren't owned by Disney. Just coz DC characters aren't being churned out every year doesn't mean DC are 'falling behind' what ever that's suppose to mean anyway, it's not like the GA gives a rats arse about who makes the films or which company they belong too, I guarantee you next year when Avengers comes out many people will be questioning why Green Lantern isn't present. If anything the fact they WB are taking their time is a good thing.

Isn't it so that the DC heroes are different because they are more mythological and god-like?

The last Marvel movie to be released was called "Thor".

Marvel tends to make real people of their characters, with problems and flaws just to make the readers indentify with them more easy. while DC is more about to treat its heroes like they are above humans.

I'll give you that. But what about that implies that these characters are incapable of coexisting in the same universe? Especially given that they HAVE been coexisting in the same universe for 70 odd years? Nor does that make them "bigger". It makes them different, but bigger? No.

The majority of characters in each company are like that. Just compare Batman and Punisher, two non-powered characters. Which one of them is more fantastical and longer from reality - could it be the super smart guy who master martial arts like no-one else, have lots and lots of gadgets and dresses up as a bat?

You could play that game all day. Just compare Batman and Spider-Man. One of them uses real life technology and physical conditioning to fight crime, while the other gained superpowers after being bitten by a radioactive spider, then created web shooters on the budget of a poor high school teenager. Which one is more realistic?

When it comes down to it, the Punisher is probably one of a handful of truly realistic characters from both companies. The rest? They're all equally outlandish and unrealistic. The power levels aren't the same, no, but lower power doesn't equate to being realistic. The Hulk certainly isn't anywhere near being realistic. Nor is Thor. Nor is Iron Man. Nor is Captain America. Or the Wasp. Or Ant-Man. Or the Silver Surfer. Or the Thing. Or Mr. Fantastic. Or Luke Cage. Or Thanos. Etc.

It has to do when the heroes was written. DC started in 30s and 40s, while the typical Marvel heroes came in 60s. It was a different time.

Only some of the major DC heroes are from the 40's, like Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. All the rest of the major ones like Green Lantern (Hal Jordan), Flash (Barry Allen), etc all emerged in the 60's.

The last Marvel movie to be released was called "Thor".
"The majority of characters in each company are like that." :)

And Peter Parker is a more of a typical Marvel character than Bruce Wayne. Not just the power thing but also in personality.
"Marvel tends to make real people of their characters, with problems and flaws just to make the readers indentify with them more easy. while DC is more about to treat its heroes like they are above humans."

Last edited:
Treating the characters in DC like they're above humans is part of why Marvel was outselling DC for a long time. Readers didn't like how DC's comics talked down to them like a parent talking to a child, wheres with Marvel, they could see themselves in the characters. They were still super, but they were also very human and relatable. It was after DC realized this that they were able to catch up with Marvel, and if you look at the Green Lantern movie, they are making Hal into a more relatable everyman type character rather than being dry and serious.

Kinda OT: Am I the only one who doesnt really care about relating to the character? I mean I dont relate to Wolverine at all but he's one of my favorite characters. Same with Batman.

I'm not really bothered about relatability either. But i can understand why a lot of people do care for it. Especially younger readers.

Kinda OT: Am I the only one who doesnt really care about relating to the character? I mean I dont relate to Wolverine at all but he's one of my favorite characters. Same with Batman.

"More relateable (which I don't even think is a word)" is just what people say when they want to tack on another reason to their argument about who likes the better character.

"More relateable (which I don't even think is a word)" is just what people say when they want to tack on another reason to their argument about who likes the better character.

Not really. I don't see anyone using the relatable thing to say their favourite character is better.

It just depends on what peoples tastes are. Either pure fantasy and escapism. Or a character they feel they can connect to on a personal level.

Me? I like a bit of both. But at the end of the day a well written character is a well written character.

The whole concept of DC heroes is that they should be above us. Their stories are often connected to mythology, universe or such. Their stories are fantastical and larger than life. They are as superior to us as Zeus, Poseidon and the rest of the greek gods are. Actually, the olympians were also very human and had flaws, but they were still above us. They were GODS with powers we could only dream about. I guess that is what makes them fascinating, just as the case is with DC heroes.
I am not saying Marvel isn't fantastical. They can truly be from time to time. But their heroes are filled with just as much personal difficulties as their powers. Sometimes it is good, and once in a while it put focus away from the superheroics.

It's like comparing Star Wars with Star Trek, roughly put. I like them both
Sometimes DC gears towards Trek and Marvel to Wars, but Marvel IS Trek as DC IS Wars.

Morningstar used the right word for DC: escapism
Why should escapism be wrong?

Last edited:
Greek Gods are fake and not superior to me :p .

None of that really makes any sense to me. Green Lantern was a test pilot before he got the most powerful weapon in the universe. Batman was a normal full blooded human whose parents were murdered.

Superman was raised as a farmboy with loving parents.

There is a human element to a lot of the stories of DC characters.

In Marvel Comics, Thor is one of the Avengers and he is a Norse mythological God of Thunder.

What does the escapism really have to do with anything though? At the end of these days, these comic book superhero movies are escapist entertainment. I just want to know why DCE/WB can't seem to get their act together while Marvel is fulfilling a long-term plan they've been putting together since 2006.

Hal Jordan was meant for something bigger. Why should he else have gotten the ring?

It doesn't matter how Superman was raised, he's still an alien.

Bruce Wayne devoted his life to train himself near human perfection. That is pretty larger than life for a normal human.

Then we have Thor, yes. But I didn't say EVERY Marvel character was the same.

I sincerelly prefered the way DC was heading, extablishing their characters in their oun film franshises and in the future if they tought it was time they would make the Justice League film, but aparently DC is so in need of copying Marvel that they'll rush a pointless film that's not even set in the universe of the other movies.

Greek Gods are fake and not superior to me :p .

None of that really makes any sense to me. Green Lantern was a test pilot before he got the most powerful weapon in the universe. Batman was a normal full blooded human whose parents were murdered.

Superman was raised as a farmboy with loving parents.

There is a human element to a lot of the stories of DC characters.

In Marvel Comics, Thor is one of the Avengers and he is a Norse mythological God of Thunder.

What does the escapism really have to do with anything though? At the end of these days, these comic book superhero movies are escapist entertainment. I just want to know why DCE/WB can't seem to get their act together while Marvel is fulfilling a long-term plan they've been putting together since 2006.

Makes sense has you are The Vile One :woot:

No, you are not. I don't really relate to any of them. And the funny thing is, I consider Superman the most relatable of them all even though so many think he's the least.

I just want to know why DCE/WB can't seem to get their act together while Marvel is fulfilling a long-term plan they've been putting together since 2006.

Because Marvel started their plan in 2006 and DC Entertainment didn't start until 2009?

If DC's characters are so much "bigger" then why do they occupy a shared universe in the comic world just as Marvel's characters do?

Because they realized that crossover comics sell. The DCU was not designed to have interaction the same way the marvel universe does. Hell, the current DCU is a ripoff of marvel's approach.

DC had a shared universe with superheroes appearing together before Marvel.
Superman first appeared with Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder on the cover of New York World's Fair Comics #2 (February, 1940) by Jack Burnley.
198313191831148951newyo.jpg

Dr. Fate, the Spectre, Green Lantern (Alan Scott), the Flash (Jay Garrick), Hawkman (Khufu), Sandman (Wesley Dodds), the Atom (Al Pratt) and Hour-Man (Rex Tyler) first appeared together and formed the Justice Society of America in All-Star Comics #3 (Winter, 1940) "The First Meeting of the Justice Society of America" by Gardner Fox and Everett Hibbard.
359ky.jpg

Green Arrow, Speedy, the Shining Knight, the Vigilante (Greg Saunders), the Crimson Avenger, the Star-Spangled Kid and Stripesy first appeared together and formed the Seven Soldiers of Victory in Leading Comics #1 (Winter, 1941) "Blueprint for Crime" by Mort Weisinger and Mort Meskin.
10135w.jpg

The Justice Society of America first met and fought Solomon Grundy (Solomon Grundy had previously appeared and fought Green Lantern (Alan Scott) in All-American Comics #61 (October, 1944) "Fighters Never Quit" by Solomon Grundy's creators Alfred Bester and Paul Reinman and Comic Cavalcade #13 (Winter, 1945) "And Then There Was One" by Alfred Bester and Paul Reinman) in All-Star Comics #33 (February, 1947) "The Revenge of Solomon Grundy!" by Gardner Fox, Irwin Hasen, Joe Kubert, Stan Aschmeier, Martin Naydel, Jon Chester Kozlak and Paul Reinman.
allstar33.jpg

Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Green Lantern (Hal Jordan), the Flash (Barry Allen) and J'onn J'onzz the Manhunter from Mars first appeared together and formed the Justice League of America in The Brave and the Bold #28 (February, 1960) "Starro the Conqueror!" by Gardner Fox and Mike Sekowsky.
3882f.jpg

The Flash (Barry Allen) met the Flash (Jay Garrick) for the first time and first explained that DC has a Multiverse with more than one Earth in The Flash #123 (September, 1961) "Flash of Two-Worlds!" by Gardner Fox and Carmine Infantino.
6213.jpg

Aquaman first met Hawkman (Carter Hall) in The Brave and the Bold #51 (December, 1963) "Fury of the Exiled Creature" by Bob Haney and Howard Purcell.
3905z.jpg

Superman, Wonder Woman, the Flash (Berry Allen), Hawkman (Carter Hall), the Atom (Ray Palmer), J'onn J'onzz the Manhunter from Mars, Batman, Robin the Boy Wonder and Green Arrow attend Aquaman's wedding to Mera in Aquaman #18 (November, 1964) "The Wife of Aquaman" by Jack Miller and Nick Cardy.
2088f.jpg

Dr. Fate, Hourman (Rex Tyler) and Green Lantern (Alan Scott) returned and teamed up again and fought Solomon Grundy in Showcase #55 (March, 1965) "Solomon Grundy Goes on a Rampage!" by Gardner Fox and Murphy Anderson.
13317.jpg

Robin the Boy Wonder, Wonder Girl, Aqualad and Kid Flash (Wally West) first appeared together and formed the Teen Titans in The Brave and the Bold #60 (June, 1965) "The Astounding Separated Man" by Bob Haney and Bruno Premiani.
3914.jpg

Last edited:
Marvel (then called Timely Comics) first showed that they had a shared universe with policewoman Betty Dean talking about the Human Torch (Jim Hammond) being an member of the police force to the Sub-Mariner, to which the villainous Sub-Mariner replied "I've heard of him. So you think that little flame can hurt me? Hah!", in Marvel Mystery Comics #7 (May, 1940) "Rampage In New York" by Bill Everett.
25283.jpg

The Human Torch (Jim Hammond) met for the first time and fought the Sub-Mariner, who was essentially a super-villain before becoming a superhero, in Marvel Mystery Comics #8 (June, 1940) "The Human Torch and the Sub-Mariner Meet" by Bill Everett.
25284.jpg

Captain America, Bucky, the Human Torch (Jim Hammond), Toro, the Sub-Mariner, the Angel and the Black Marvel first appeared together in All-Winners Comics #1 (Summer, 1941) "All Winners" by Stan Lee and Ed Winiarski.
18640r.jpg

Bucky, Toro, Tubby, Knuckles, Jeff Worthington Sandervilt and Whitewash Jones first appeared together and formed the Young Allies in Young Allies Comics #1 (Summer, 1941) "The Coming of Agent Zero" by Otto Binder and Charles Nicholas.
31008.jpg

Captain America, Bucky, the Human Torch (Jim Hammond), Toro, Sub-Mariner, the Whizzer and Miss America form the All-Winners Squad in All-Winners Comics #19 (Fall, 1946) "The Crime of the Ages" by Bill Finger and Syd Shores.
18658.jpg

The Fantastic Four first met the Sub-Mariner, who was back to being essentially a super-villain, in Fantastic Four #4 (May, 1962) "The Coming of Sub-Mariner!" by Jack Kirby and Stan Lee.
21870.jpg

Spider-Man met the Fantastic Four in The Amazing Spider-Man #1 (March, 1963) "Spider-Man vs. The Chameleon" by Steve Ditko and Stan Lee.
27847.jpg

The Fantastic Four first met and fight the Hulk in Fantastic Four #12 (March, 1963) "The Incredible Hulk" by Jack Kirby and Stan Lee.
21878.jpg

The Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, Ant-Man and Wasp first appeared together and formed the Avengers in The Avengers #1 (September, 1963) "The Coming of the Avengers!" by Jack Kirby and Stan Lee.
19000.jpg

Spider-Man, Captain America, Thor, Tony Stark (Iron Man) in [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]a top hat[/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Daredevil, [/FONT][/FONT]Nick Fury, [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dr. Strange, [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Quicksilver and Hawkeye [/FONT][/FONT]attended Mr. Fantastic's wedding to the Invisible Girl in Fantastic Four Annual #3 (1965) "Bedlam at the Baxter Building!" by Jack Kirby and Stan Lee.
22223q.jpg

Last edited:
Those are all sweet looking covers.

If that was in response to me ManBat...all I can say is that no one said DC didnt do it first.

Thats why I specifically said the CURRENT DCU rips off marvel. They turned the JSA into their "Invaders" and the JLA-era characters, including Superman and Batman into the DC equivlent of the "Marvel Age" characters.

And, yes DC had their own characters interacting first, though that wasnt in dispute in the first place. Still, DC never designed Bruce Wayne to fit seamlessly into Clark Kents world like Tony Stark would in a Captain America or S.H.I.E.L.D comic. As far as I'm concerned, Spider-Man waltzing into an FF comic feels much more natural then Hal Jordan stopping by Gotham.

Last edited:
I wanted to point out that DC had a shared universe with superheroes appearing together before Marvel because a lot of people tend to credit Marvel without much knowledge of DC. I've not been following the current JSA comics. Glad to see Duke enjoyed those classic covers. Spider-Man in a Fantastic Four comic book definitely blends in more then Green Lantern in a Batman comic book. There aren't many appearances by Superman and the other super-powered heroes in Batman's own comic books mostly because they would bring an end to Batman's struggles against the Joker, the Penguin, etc. immediately, since they could defeat the majority of Batman's foes far too easily.

Last edited:
Is far as I'm concerned, Spider-Man waltzing into an FF comic feels much more natural then Hal Jordan stopping by Gotham.

I agree with this.

I could accept a JL movie with a premise that's not unlike Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Cool covers Man-Bat!

But....don't they show that DC and Marvel started "sharing the universe" at the same time?

DC is owned by WB, DC is WB. Marvel until recently weren't owned by Disney. Just coz DC characters aren't being churned out every year doesn't mean DC are 'falling behind' what ever that's suppose to mean anyway, it's not like the GA gives a rats arse about who makes the films or which company they belong too, I guarantee you next year when Avengers comes out many people will be questioning why Green Lantern isn't present. If anything the fact they WB are taking their time is a good thing.
I don't know if it's a good thing that a Flash fan could easily die of old age waiting for his movie. ;) ....All while seeing X-Men fans buy tickets to the 5th installment for them.

It's like comparing Star Wars with Star Trek, roughly put. I like them both
Sometimes DC gears towards Trek and Marvel to Wars, but Marvel IS Trek as DC IS Wars.
That's interesting. I put them the other way around for some reason. DC seems more Treky to me. Maybe because DC was first and "the establishment" when Marvel hit big kinda like how Trek was "the establishment" when Star Wars hit big. Marvel and SW seemed to "break the rules".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"