What is with the Marvel movie negativity?

TheVileOne said:
The majority of the cinematic output have been huge disappointments it's that simple.

I still don't see any sequels for The Hulk, Daredevil, or The Punisher in sight.

The Punisher sequel doesn't come out until late next year. Thomas Jane said it's already been confirmed and being worked on as we speak.

The Hulk is going through the script writing process, so I wouldn't expect a sequel for a good long while.

Let´s take things into perspective here...

Comic book movies are not B movies, no matter how much you want them to be. They can easily be made into one (hell, all movies can be turned into B movies quite easily), but they shouldn´t, because even the comic books are.

Let´s look at the comics for a minute, and this as nothing to do with being a fan or not.
What is the most interesting story, the Death of Gwen Stacy or the 1000th fight between Spider-Man and Venom?
What about KnightFall, or the 1000th fight between Batman and The Joker?
(if you go with the last option in both cases, i give up).
See, the most best and most interesting story is the one more adult, dramatic and complex, the one that actually makes the characters grow, so, why the hell don´t you (or anyone else, for that matter) want that on screen?
And how can a story with that deepth of complexity and seriousness, can be seen as a B movie?

It has nothing to do with budget or box office, it as to do with the characters, and how well they are translated to be big screen.

What is a superhero? The man behind the mask or the suit/powers?
(If you go with the last option, i will lose my faith in you).
A superhero is nothing more than a suit and a bunch of powers, it´s the man behind the mask that makes him who he is, that is the important stuff, to actually compreend and care for who he is and what he does.
Action, thrills, special effects, fights..that all that is inherent to the comic book genre, so, of course that will have it´s place, but an action scene is nothing if there isn´t a meaning to it.

IMO, the way comic books movies should be made (and that cames from me, as an amatuer movie director) is to be looked as "biographical movies".
Let me explain it better....
Look at it as we were all living in the future, and superheroes existed many years ago.
As any biographical, your primary goal is to make the audience understand the person and his actions, to get inside that person´s head, to know his goals and ambitions, his fears...
The exact same thing should be made about comic book movies, to make the audience understand the characters, might they be heroes or villains, to get inside their heads, to......(read my sig).

Mrh7448 said:
To me the problem is when they start changing the base stories. Like they did in the Hulk, they turned it into something way to complex with the genetic manipulation his father and all that crap.
My good man, i´m sorry to say but, if that is your problem with Hulk, you don´t get the character.
The movie might not have been perfect, but it was the closest any comic book movie came so far, because it understood the characters.
Hulk is about a man that changes into a physical manifestation of his own repressed feelings, and that is possible because of genetic manipulation by his father (in the comics, it was an accident).
Hulk is extremely complex, because it´s a very psychological story.

What I liked about the Hulk movie was that it gave a real reason for why he is the Hulk and him alone. That if anyone else walks into a gamma explosion, they would die or even become like the Abomination who is stuck in that mutated form. It gave Hulk a certain uniqueness which I thought was cool...And as much as anyone hated the Hulk, they have to admit the action was some of, if not THE best that has ever come to realization in a comic book movie. I still get giddy during the whole slow motion scene where he smacks around the tank with it's own gun. Like paying homage to the old show. :D

It doesn't bother me when people don't like movies I liked or complain about them - I loved both X-Men and Spider-man movies but also like Daredevil, Fantastic Four (Doom could have been better though), and Blade. I couldn't stand Hulk and thought Elektra and Blade 2 were disappointments. The point is that these are my opinions and therefore I don't accept them as facts or think people who disagree are wrong or stupid. Most posters seem pretty much in line with this, but the ones who bug me are the few who seem to think that their opinions are gospel and just can't believe there are people out there who don't see it their way. I also don't like the ones who overly hate on the producers, directors, or especially the cast. I was not happy with Ang Lee's work but I still respect him as a film maker and if he does another Marvel movie in the future, I just hope I find it more to my liking.

No offense, but this is a dumb thread. People have their opinions of movies. Either you liked it or didn't like it. That decision is for the viewer to make, not the public. I have enjoyed the movies that have been made, sans Catwoman, since Blade came out. I think forcing your enjoyment of movies on people is stupid, and rather pointless. Face it, people are not the same, and it takes different things to make them happy. Does this make them right? Or you right? That is entirely up to you. I will only say, if a couple of people complaining about a movie ruin it for you, then you didn't enjoy it as much as you thought you did. If everyone enjoyed everything that came out, the world would not be interesting.

Savage said:
hmm. I for one couldn't care less about how much they make or how deep they are but how entertained I am by them. For me it's always about just sitting back and enjoying yourself. Which is why I'm always shocked when I come here to see exagerated claims of "omg! it sucks!". I didn't even notice all the bad things about Fantastic Four till I came here honestly and at times I wish I wasn't a member of this site because I would probably enjoy these movies more. I loved Daredevil and came out of it with a smile on my face and know plenty of other people who did as well. Same for Hulk.

...I think what it is though is that when you're a fan, you are used to things being a certain way. Especially after years and years of investing into these characters. Sometimes you even dream of seeing these great stories brought to the big screen and when there are dramatic changes or the story is not told right...well...you'll be a little peeved because you know how much potential it had and that it was wasted...Fortunately for me I seperate the two. :D I figure take the movie for what it is and enjoy yourself. You can always go back to the comic for what you liked. Treat the movie like it's own deal...

Thank you for this perfect post! You have sumed up my feelings 100%!

Isildur´s Heir said:
The Hulk movie might not have been perfect, but it was the closest any comic book movie came so far, because it understood the characters.
Hulk is about a man that changes into a physical manifestation of his own repressed feelings, and that is possible because of genetic manipulation by his father (in the comics, it was an accident).
Hulk is extremely complex, because it´s a very psychological story.

I thought that the movie was brilliant. Marvel and Universal took a major risk on this one (they could have just issued a dumb "Hulk Smash" movie). Time has been very kind to this film. I've been noticing that critics are starting to "revisit" this film and starting to see all the different levels it worked on.

Spider-Fan930 said:
No offense, but this is a dumb thread. QUOTE]

Ok, lets have another thread about which Marvel movie is the worst one, which charactor was butcherd the most in a Marvel movie, why Ghost Rider is going to suck, Marvel movies best to worse, etc.,. Take your pick.

LastSunrise1981 said:
The Punisher sequel doesn't come out until late next year. Thomas Jane said it's already been confirmed and being worked on as we speak.

Well seeing as to how the sequel was announced as coming out this year and they've been saying this for years with really no movement . . . let's just wait and see.

The Hulk is going through the script writing process, so I wouldn't expect a sequel for a good long while.

This is the same process it's been in for three years.

Once again, I don't see sequels for these movies anywhere in sight. Same thing for Daredevil.

I'd have to say only a couple of the Marvel movies have absolutely nailed it for me (Spiderman 2, X2). With the exception of Blade Trinity which i hated very much, I think the rest of the Marvel movies have been decent to very good movies that entertained me at some level.

Ryancara said:
Spider-Fan930 said:
No offense, but this is a dumb thread. QUOTE]

Ok, lets have another thread about which Marvel movie is the worst one, which charactor was butcherd the most in a Marvel movie, why Ghost Rider is going to suck, Marvel movies best to worse, etc.,. Take your pick.

The whole point of this thread is to bash people who hated the movies that have been made. I am sorry, but I just don't see the point. People are different. Stop whining about people whining and deal with it. At the end of the day, do a couple of movie bashers ruin the whole experience for you? They don't ruin it for me. I personally like to discuss things with people who have an opposite view. It is more interesting than groups constantly agree, since all their posts are the same.

Spider-Fan930 said:
Ryancara said:
The whole point of this thread is to bash people who hated the movies that have been made. I am sorry, but I just don't see the point. People are different. Stop whining about people whining and deal with it. At the end of the day, do a couple of movie bashers ruin the whole experience for you? They don't ruin it for me. I personally like to discuss things with people who have an opposite view. It is more interesting than groups constantly agree, since all their posts are the same.

Then why are you whining about people whining about people whining?

I am not whining. I am simply stating that this is a pointless discussion. You can bash me all you want for saying this, but I really don't care. Too many people on this board think you have to love the movies just because they are comic based. I have simply said that how someone viewed a movie is not for you to decide. Unlike a couple people in this thread, I will not resort to mocking to try to make a point. My point is clear enough.

Spider-Fan930 said:
I am not whining. I am simply stating that this is a pointless discussion. You can bash me all you want for saying this, but I really don't care. Too many people on this board think you have to love the movies just because they are comic based. I have simply said that how someone viewed a movie is not for you to decide. Unlike a couple people in this thread, I will not resort to mocking to try to make a point. My point is clear enough.

I agree with you that everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, if their opinion is that we should all be positive about everything comic book related (Although I would wholeheartedly disagree with them) they are entitled to that opinion as well. If you think the discussion of a thread is pointless, why not just avoid it? Bashing people for thinking that everyone doesn't have to think alike is just what you are doing. Others of us on this thread have also disagreed with the idea that you have to like everything, but by sticking to the topic, not critcizing it. That's all I'm saying.

That may be their opinion. I am just giving them the other side. The best way to form an opinion is to hear both sides, and often I don't think some people look at it that way.

I THINK MARVEL IS DOING A GREAT JOB AT MAKING MARVEL MOVIES. I THINK THEIR CHOICE IN CHARACTERS COULD BE BETTER BUT I LIKE WHAT I SEE. MARVEL IS MAKING MOST OF ITS PROFITS FROM THE MOVIES RIGHT NOW. THEY ARE IN A BAD SITUATION WITHOUT THE MOVIES. YOU SEE....WHEN THEY REALLY MESSED UP THE COMIC STORYLINES THE FANS STARTED BEING WARDED AWAY. HOW MANY COMICS DO WE NEED TO START ALL OVER AND OVER ABOUT HOW SPIDERMAN CAME ABOUT? ITS ALWAYS THE SAME CRAP...RATHER ITS DIFFERENT ALTERNATIVES OR WHATEVER. ITS ALWAYS THE SAME CRAP. I HATE THE COMICS. THE ART IS COOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLL!!! BUT THE STORY LINES SUCK. THEY DON'T HOOK YOU IN WHEN YOU READ THEM. SO WHATS THE POINT OF READING THEM? RATHER MARVEL SHOULD JUST MAKE ART BOOKS OF COLLECTIONS OF PAINTINGS OR DRAWINGS....OR THEY NEED A WHOLE NEW STORY LINE CREW. LOL. CUZ THEY SUCK! THE MOVIES ARE ALL THAT MARVEL HAS GOING FOR THEM. THE FIGURES SUCK BECAUSE THEY ARE CHEAPO AND FALL APART REAL EASY. TOY BIZ USED TO BE SO GOOD AT WHAT THEY MADE BACK IN THE DAY (KINDA) BUT NOWADAYS THEY ARE SOOOOOOOOO CRAPPY THAT EVEN MY "ANGEL" (SENTINEL SERIES FIGURE)...HIS HEAD FELL OFF. I WAS PISSED OFF! SO I DON'T BUY THAT MARVEL LEGENDS CRAP FIGURES ANYMORE. THEY SUCK. LOL. I WOULD RATHER JUST STEAL A PICTURE FROM ONLINE AND SEE IT FROM THERE THAN PAYING 8.00 FOR A FIGURE THATS GOING TO BREAK EVENTUALLY. SO ANYWHO, I'M AFTER THE ART...NOT THE OTHER CRAP REALLY.

~KEVIN

[email protected]

doctorstrange88 said:
I THINK MARVEL IS DOING A GREAT JOB AT MAKING MARVEL MOVIES. I THINK THEIR CHOICE IN CHARACTERS COULD BE BETTER BUT I LIKE WHAT I SEE. MARVEL IS MAKING MOST OF ITS PROFITS FROM THE MOVIES RIGHT NOW. THEY ARE IN A BAD SITUATION WITHOUT THE MOVIES. YOU SEE....WHEN THEY REALLY MESSED UP THE COMIC STORYLINES THE FANS STARTED BEING WARDED AWAY. HOW MANY COMICS DO WE NEED TO START ALL OVER AND OVER ABOUT HOW SPIDERMAN CAME ABOUT? ITS ALWAYS THE SAME CRAP...RATHER ITS DIFFERENT ALTERNATIVES OR WHATEVER. ITS ALWAYS THE SAME CRAP. I HATE THE COMICS. THE ART IS COOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLL!!! BUT THE STORY LINES SUCK. THEY DON'T HOOK YOU IN WHEN YOU READ THEM. SO WHATS THE POINT OF READING THEM? RATHER MARVEL SHOULD JUST MAKE ART BOOKS OF COLLECTIONS OF PAINTINGS OR DRAWINGS....OR THEY NEED A WHOLE NEW STORY LINE CREW. LOL. CUZ THEY SUCK! THE MOVIES ARE ALL THAT MARVEL HAS GOING FOR THEM. THE FIGURES SUCK BECAUSE THEY ARE CHEAPO AND FALL APART REAL EASY. TOY BIZ USED TO BE SO GOOD AT WHAT THEY MADE BACK IN THE DAY (KINDA) BUT NOWADAYS THEY ARE SOOOOOOOOO CRAPPY THAT EVEN MY "ANGEL" (SENTINEL SERIES FIGURE)...HIS HEAD FELL OFF. I WAS PISSED OFF! SO I DON'T BUY THAT MARVEL LEGENDS CRAP FIGURES ANYMORE. THEY SUCK. LOL. I WOULD RATHER JUST STEAL A PICTURE FROM ONLINE AND SEE IT FROM THERE THAN PAYING 8.00 FOR A FIGURE THATS GOING TO BREAK EVENTUALLY. SO ANYWHO, I'M AFTER THE ART...NOT THE OTHER CRAP REALLY.

~KEVIN

[email protected]

If you expect people to read this stuff, lose the all caps.

Blade 1&2, X1&2, Spider-Man 1&2 have all been recieved very well by the fans. Sure there's some knitpickers - there always are - but for the most part, they are some of the most well-liked superhero films ever. Polls on the Hype and elsewhere prove this.

Now, movies like Daredevil, and Hulk, etc. haven't been as well-recieved by fan, critic, or general movie goer, and thusly, have had complaints voiced, a general air of disapproval surround them.

You really can't fight this, you really shouldn't fight it. If a large precentage of, well, everybody thinks a movie is mediocre or bad, that's probably what it is - now you may enjoy that particular film, that's fine, but if people don't like it, they shouldn't have to shut up simply because you're basking in the glow of Marvel moviedom.

****, what annoys me is, this here characters that could never be brought to the screen agian, they shouldn't be throw away movies, that no one will remember in a few years. People should treat the material it's being based on with respect, and respect the fans. I mean, the core fanbase is everything. Without it, you wouldn't have the characters to make into a movie in the first place. Because it's the fans who have stuck by and supported them in the first place. I mean, look at Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter. Those movies were treated with such respect, for the material, the funs, the everything.

Why shouldn't the comic book movies be treated like that? It's bull****.
Instead you have these studios cranking it out like it's all throw away garbage just to make a few bucks cause superhero movies are popular right now.

It god damn pisses me off.:mad:

Ryancara said:
Is it just me or does there seem to be a lot of *****ing going on about all of the Marvel movies (past and future) being made? Even the billion dollar franchise Siderman has its haters (enough about the Goblin costume!).

We are in the golden age of Marvel movies. A few bombs and it will all be over (does anyone remember the barren Marvel movie landscape of the 1970s and 1980s?). These are B movies meant to appeal to a general audience and changes have to be made in order to get these movies made. The general audience could care less that Bullseye looks different then is comic book counterpart. They just want to have fun. I've even heard people say that Ghost Rider is a bomb and it hasn't even been issued yet!!

Everyone should just relax and enjoy what is being produced. The bad thing about Hollywood is that it runs in cycles. A few years from now when Hollywood moves onto the next big thing all we will have left are Marvel movie DVDs.

Firstly, you have to ask why are movies like, Elektra or a magneto spinoff made and considered, respectively, before films about Captain America and Ironman are made?
Most of Marvel's movies suck because Avi Arad is too busy thinking out loud and would rather fatten his grubby pockets before delivering anything of real quality. The spider-man movies are mediocre at best and imo have no replay value at all, the x-men movies are a lot more tolerable, blade was doing well until blade 3 went into production, Hulk had so much potential but decided to saturate itself with over-abundant profound aesthetics that made the movie suck overall, Punisher was alright, tolerable but could have been better, especially with the R-rating its tagged with, DD, Elektra and Fantastic 4 are a complete waste of time that do everything possible to cause embarrasment.

Marvel movies are too busy being rushed and there are numerous projects that have slated release dates before the end of the decade, which just wont happen.

D'Artagnan said:
2. Why should people like the Spider-Man franchise just because it has made a lot of money? :confused:

Thank you! There's only a handful of people who get this. I'm tired of people reciting BO figures to me about the spidey movies. To me that means absoloutly nothing. The quality of the movies boast so much lack its ridiculous. Take batman 89 or even batman begins. Those movies didn't generate tonnes but they were damn good movies that broke even and secured a place within the profit margin.

The spidey movies imo are so mediocre that its painful to see such a waste of an opportunity, especially when taking into account the resources the studio has at its disposal.

DarKush said:
I think the post-Blade Marvel movies, for the most part, have been pretty entertaining. There have a been a few missteps along the way, but even those aren't all that bad.

My Favorites:

The Blade (Blade 1 & 2), Spider, and X movies have been pretty top tier.

X-Men one was a little underwhelming & Spider-Man 2 had some dragging spots, but overall these franchises haven't shown any signs of fatigue.

Fantastic Four was a good popcorn movie. It might be blasphemy to say, but I enjoyed it better than Batman Begins.

Punisher and Daredevil weren't bad. And neither was Elektra.

The Hulk was a misstep, but it is watchable. And I admit Blade Trinity is watchable too.

Avia Arad owns you.:o

captainmarvel said:
I agree. What people here don't seem to realize is that Marvel is a BUSINESS first and foremost and, as with any business, one of their primary goals is to make money. If Marvel totally ignored the general public and only made movies for the longtime fans, they wouldn't make very much money because there simply aren't enough of us to make such a movie a financial success. Marvel had to make a choice to try and go for both a fan and non-fan audience and given that, I think they've done spectacularly well so far. Take "The Punisher" as a for instance. The audience I saw it with seemed to really enjoy the film a great deal, but I doubt that most of them had any knowledge of the character going in and probably opted to see it because it looked good in the ads. However, I bet that after they saw the movie, at least some of them went out and looked at the comics to see more of what thet enjoyed in the theater, thus bringing more people into the fold. You see? There is a method to Marvel's madness, even if most fans can't seem to see it.

But see, here is what I dont understand. Take the source material and you have good enough scriptures to interpret (obviously not direct word for word/panel for panel) but the source material is good enough to adapt that can appeal to both the fans and the general audience.
Too many liberties are taken out of lazyness and the studio of course wants to stamp its own spin on the character, really making it their own at the end of the day, they just dont care, they have a product and stamp it with a familiar and recognisable name and expect viewers to accept and consume....well I for one have been blessed with wisdom and if I feel that a movie is going to suck, I'll get it off my local china man for less than half the price of the movie ticket instead.:o

Spider-Fan930 said:
No offense, but this is a dumb thread. People have their opinions of movies. Either you liked it or didn't like it. That decision is for the viewer to make, not the public. I have enjoyed the movies that have been made, sans Catwoman, since Blade came out. I think forcing your enjoyment of movies on people is stupid, and rather pointless. Face it, people are not the same, and it takes different things to make them happy. Does this make them right? Or you right? That is entirely up to you. I will only say, if a couple of people complaining about a movie ruin it for you, then you didn't enjoy it as much as you thought you did. If everyone enjoyed everything that came out, the world would not be interesting.

Tell that to the next idiot who says, "well critics and the majority of people thought it was brilliant,plus, it made tonnes and the BO so, your an ass for not liking [Insert movie here]".

Hades said:
****, what annoys me is, this here characters that could never be brought to the screen agian, they shouldn't be throw away movies, that no one will remember in a few years. People should treat the material it's being based on with respect, and respect the fans. I mean, the core fanbase is everything. Without it, you wouldn't have the characters to make into a movie in the first place. Because it's the fans who have stuck by and supported them in the first place. I mean, look at Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter. Those movies were treated with such respect, for the material, the funs, the everything.

Why shouldn't the comic book movies be treated like that? It's bull****.
Instead you have these studios cranking it out like it's all throw away garbage just to make a few bucks cause superhero movies are popular right now.

It god damn pisses me off.:mad:

Bin "f ucking" go!:up::up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"