What is your current TV setup?

Erzengel

|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|
Reaction score
I have been on almost a yearly battle with cable companies.

7 years ago I had Optimum/Cablevision. I was fine with it and every year I had to threaten to cancel it and they would keep around the same price.

3 years ago, they stopped trying to compete and I cancelled them and went to Verizon Fios. (Crappier internet, but around the same price)

After 2 years, they raised their prices as well so I jumped to DirectTV and kept Fios as my internet. I'm paying the lowest I've had in years but I know in January, I'm going to get hit up with additional fees after the 1 year mark.

I know I have options but I have Netflix and just suscribed to Starz on Demand to catch up on some shows. Optimum came sniffing around saying they'd buy out my contract but I told them they have to wait until after NFL season as we were given a free year of NFL package.

Recently I read that Disney was breaking from Netflix to do their own streaming system. Just left me to wonder that you can have just regular channels but have monthly subscriptions to almost half a dozen shows depending on what you want to watch.

So what do you all have?

I, uh, "stream" anything I want on the internet to my new 65" 4K TV I picked up since I was tired of only having my laptop. I use various services like Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Video, etc. as well.

I have a local provider and Netflix.

Where I live, we only have one cable company to choose from.....so for a long time I had TIME WARNER. Then six months or so ago they were bought out by SPECTRUM. I had ENCORE movie channel, and they started showing the entire STARZ series BLACK SAILS....and so I finally got to see it and liked it. They then started advertising that the final season of BLACK SAILS would be starting soon, so be sure to sign up for STARZ if you want to see the end of it. So I went to the cable office and asked how much it would cost to get STARZ. The lady started clicking on her computer and in a couple of minutes said "I can give you STARZ, HBO, SHOWTIME, CINEMAX, and TMC." I told her I couldn't afford all of those, I only wanted to add STARZ. She said "You don't understand....I can now give you all those channels for $25 LESS than you were paying before.

So I have SPECTRUM.

I'm on Dish Network and am subscribed to Netflix, Crunchyroll, and WWE Network currently. I'll probably re-subscribe to Hulu to watch Runaways and then cancel again.

I have cable through Cogeco (Canadian provider), and a subscription to Netflix, CraveTV (Canadian streaming service), the WWE Network, and Funimation. Although the WWE Network is also just a regular premium cable channel in Canada. I also have a Chromecast to watch the streaming services on the living room TV which has no game consoles or other devices connected to it.

And then... stuff... on the internet.

Kinda sucks living in a 3rd world country where they block most of the contents from Netflix. Thank Odin for subscription cancellation.

Direct TV + HBO
Amazon Fire Stick
Amazon Prime
Netflix
WWE Network

Frontier Internet aka

source.gif

I have an hd antennae. I'm hardly home and don't watch much tv anymore. With the digital antennae, I still get around 30 channels. More than enough for me. I mostly have it for when family visits and background noise. If there's something specific I want to see, I'll find it online.

I have cable through Cogeco (Canadian provider), and a subscription to Netflix, CraveTV (Canadian streaming service), the WWE Network, and Funimation. Although the WWE Network is also just a regular premium cable channel in Canada. I also have a Chromecast to watch the streaming services on the living room TV which has no game consoles or other devices connected to it.

And then... stuff... on the internet.

Yeah, I have a Chromecast too. It gets a lot of use during the Olympics where I can stream the CBC or BBC live coverage instead of having to watch the awful NBC coverage.

i have cable with a DVR, but when i move i'm cancelling it immediately

as for streaming, i have Netflix, Disney Movies Anywhere, and about 800 shows/movies on Vudu. i also have Flixster, but I don't really use it. i think that's it.

as for tv's, i have a Samsung JS8500 55" 4k 3D tv

I have Comcast yes it sucks that it cost a lot of money but something like Netflix dosnt help me at all has I don't watch a lot of shows and like 80% of the time I am watching TV I am watching sports. Also Comcast internet is great almost never goes out and is pretty darn fast. Not sure how I would watch sports if I didn't have cable or a dish or something. Also I am not sure if other options have any kind of way to record stuff either. I kind of wish I could not pay for tv in summer time though because I am not a big baseball guy and with no NBA,NFL or NHL in summer I hardly watch tv and summer time its almost like a waste to have to pay for TV. Have a 55 inch 4k Samsung ks8000 tv that I got back in like mid November and I also just got the Yamaha Yas 207 soundbar a few days ago it sounds nice. I pay about 130 for internet and cable combind but it will be like 170 in a few more months has it will be passed the first year were I got some stations I wouldn't normally get for 130. I don't make a lot of money so I don't really want to pay a extra 40 but I also don't want to like drop down one packaged has the next lower packaged I wouldn't have NBA tv and NFL tv any more.

Last edited:
HD antennae and can pull in I'd say over 30 channels. Works great for local news, local football, etc. It's worth at least seeing what you can pull in. Plus it's digital HD in full surround, on those channels that broadcast that way so no paying extra for HD.

Unlimited data hot spot via cell to stream Netflix to my TV. Bonus is that I take my internet wherever I go. 4G service works fine to stream. Did use Netflix by mail for a long time though to get newer stuff.

If you're gaming you'll want a better connection though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"