What Nolan does poorest. Villain Endings

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight Rises' started by the last son, Mar 9, 2013.

1. milost

milost Well-Known Member

"If I take that off will you die?"

"It'd be extremely painful!"

I thought they were actually going to go there at the end of the film. Not just a couple of loose tubes that can easily be put back into place like a cheap erector set. Would have been great to see Batman smash that dope's face in, then rip off the mask for this great reveal after he's had enough.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  2. Anno_Domini

Anno_Domini Well-Known Member

Oh, I thought that was going to happen as well, but I had no problem with what happened with Batman just breaking off the tubes and what not.

Plus, I can't really think of an area to have Talia's speech anyways if Bane just dies with nothing for Talia to do in helping her protector.

3. milost

milost Well-Known Member

I could see it working if you cut Talia/Miranda Tate out of the picture entirely. :sus

4. Anno_Domini

Ehh, I wouldn't want that to happen, lol.

5. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

I completely agree. Bane's death was sudden, non-chalant and brutal- just like the every single person he killed in the movie. You're right, both him and Talia were suicidal terrorists who were planning to go out in a giant blaze of glory. I actually think both of their rather pathetic demises were well-deserved. And what's even better is they both died thinking they had succeeded in the mission.

Ah, if we're talking Episode IV, Selena is so much closer to the Han Solo character than she is to Leia, no? Her archetype is that of the rogue only looking out for herself who ends up having a heart of gold which is so Han Solo when you really think about it. I think 747's analogy is perfect.

6. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

To be honest, I wouldn't have liked it if Han Solo had killed off Vader either if that helps...lol.

7. CaballeroOscuro

CaballeroOscuro New Member

I don't think he killed Ra's at all, the plan with blowing up the monorail was to stop the train and destroy the microwave emitter to stop the whole city being poisoned. I think knowing Ra's would fight to the death and that he couldnt really overpower him to save him, Bruce made the decision to let him die since thats what Ra's was willing to do to see his plan succeed anyways. It wasnt premeditated to kill him, more of a last minute decision to let him die because thats what he wanted either in success or failure. Thats how i saw it anyway.

8. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

Fair enough. But for all intents and purposes of Episode IV, Han is the one who "beat" or "dealt with" Vader. If there had never been a sequel than that shot of his Tie Advanced rolling out of control would be have the last we saw of Vader. Whereas in TDKR, Batman had already handily defeated Bane in the way that mattered.

Anyway, I know this won't change your mind about Bane's death- just trying to put it in a different context so you can maybe see where I and others are coming from.

9. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

I appreciate the civility. Its always nice to have around. When I was talking about Vader's ending, I was thinking of Episode 6 actually..so I think there was some miscommunication on my part. What I meant has Leia or Han been the final person to have offed Vader, I wouldn't have liked it.
    Bane was a great character and I thought his send off was pretty anticlimatic. But hey, that's me. If others think it was great, I'm totally cool with that too and do appreciate differing opinions other then my own.

10. TheBat812

TheBat812 Well-Known Member

I'm almost positive what happens is that Ra's stabs the controls to prevent Batman from stopping the train (because he thinks that's Bruce's plan), but Bruce's real plan is to derail the train, so all he did was do Bruce a favor.

On topic, the only issue I ever had with a villain ending was Bane's on my first viewing, only because I didn't realize he was dead until he never showed up again, haha. Now it's fine though.

11. JackWhite

JackWhite Third Man

Yeah, I just re-watched that scene on youtube, and yes it is Ra's who damages the controls. That part of the scene is cut really fast. Funny how I finally noticed it now, years later.

12. DACrowe

DACrowe Well-Known Member

I actually like it was Catwoman who did it and her line was spot on. It is just executed with such abruptness that it feels odd. Part of me felt that was intentional because Nolan likes undercutting the image.

13. Brain Damage

Brain Damage Everything Under the Sun

Yes, he does. Usually I don't really mind it, as I like that it forces you to pay strict attention, but I remember it took me like 3 viewings of Begins to realize what the "leverage" Batman gave Rachel by the subway was.

14. the last son

the last son Well-Known Member

What was the leverage in begins?

15. Brain Damage

The pictures of Judge Faden with young prostitutes.

16. JackWhite

JackWhite Third Man

And they say Nolan-Bats does zero detective work.

:woot:

17. Anno_Domini

Because he doesn't! :dry:

lol.

Plus, the way Catwoman kills Bane...it's as if "beauty kills the beast" in a way. But, I mostly saw it as Bane getting a cheap ending the way he wanted to kill Batman: cheap and not the way Bane was perceived to be the entire film beforehand.

18. Snow Queen

I completely missed that. Thanks.

19. JackWhite

JackWhite Third Man

:argh: But he's the WGD, dammit!

I never had a problem with Catwoman killing Bane, It's just Catwoman's quip at the expense of Bane's importance as a villain. Had Batman chastised her about taking a life I think it would have went a lot better.

Hell, had we seen Selina and Bane in more than one scene, showing her reluctance to work with Bane; knowing his plans for Gotham's "revolution" were far too extreme for what she had thought she bargained for, would have made Bane's conclusion a lot better.

20. Snow Queen

I have a feeling that if IMAX length limitations and the fact the general audience probably couldn't sit though a 400 minute movie, we'd have gotten that and a lot more.

21. Anno_Domini

I think that quick idea of Catwoman bringing Batman into the sewers for Bane was fine enough without any real scene of the two being in cohorts because it adds to this mystery of Bane and Selina just gets her payback for having to send Bruce to that misery.

BUT...I will say the line from Selina could've been cut out though.

22. JackWhite

JackWhite Third Man

It seems that way. But I'm not really sure a longer cut, without IMAX limitations, would have given us a significantly different or better film. But it's fairly obvious some of the breathing room was cut out of the film because of IMAX.

23. Brain Damage

A fact that greatly saddens me. It seems, rather than cut whole scenes out, Nolan opted to cut out little bits from almost every scene. The result, as you said, is a distinct lack of breathing room.

I still haven't forgiven him for the things he cut out of the scene where Alfred confesses about the letter :cmad:

24. JackWhite

JackWhite Third Man

I expected Bane and Selina to have a few scenes together. This could have happened if the second act was restructured. Selina was extremely non-existent there.

25. JackWhite

JackWhite Third Man

Dude, while I love those scenes with Bruce and Alfred, the scenes where Bruce puts the leg brace on, and the scene where Alfred leaves, you just know that the IMAX limitations hindered those scenes, even if it were the slightest.

I remember a few lines that were cut out - Bruce mentioning he failed as Bruce and Alfred replying with you can afford to fail as Bruce Wayne, but as Batman you can't afford to.

I still love Nolan, but I'm almost wondering if he's letting, or let; his love for IMAX ruin his films. Classic case of style vs substance.