The Dark Knight Rises What Nolan does poorest. Villain Endings

I feel that Two-Face and Bane had the best endings. I didn't care much about Ra's and Scarecrow's. Talia's was just kind of there. Joker's would've been great if we got a definitive line in TDKR about him being in federal custody, or accidentally shot after being taken into custody.

I don't think being shot in the chest with a canon is a bad death, and the whole scene was a good way to show the ethical differences between Catwoman and Batman. Two-Face's was the perfect end to a tragedy.

Id go with Bane. Scarecrow's was crap, I'll give you that, but you at least got to see Batman make up for it in TDK. I honestly didn't believe that Bane died from the shot- when the heroes were talking about what to do with the bomb, I was expecting Bane to show back up and give us a glorious final fight.

Even when Alfred was giving his speech about Wayne's death, I was still kinda shocked thinking, "Did Nolan really have Bane go out like that?"

I know, I was the same. I couldn't believe that Bane would just get nonchalantly blasted away and that was that. An embarrassing exit.

They were all adequate to the characters (outside of Talia's final moments).

He actually has an amazing streak dealing with the demise of the villains.

Lets start with begins. Forgetting the fact that scarecrow is a better villain than in begins with tons and tons of way more potential, how does he end? Being tasered and screaming away like a little wimp. Smh.
I agree. In fact, scarecrow should've been the one releasing the toxin and had a showdown with Batman ala "Batman:Arkham Aslym". Also, this would allow Ras Al Ghul to be revealed in a sequel or a final showdown somewhere else.

Ras Al ghul. I have a problem with Batman not saving him. Batman just letting someone die is not how Batman does it. So how that ended is sort of problem for me not huge but a problem.
Bruce contradicts himself and flat out doesn't make sense. Ras Al Ghul kills people he feels are ruining the world. Bruce doesn't agree says he isn't an "executioner". Yet he purposely had the train crash and killed Ras Al Ghul without actually "killing" Ras Al Ghul. No matter how you look at it, Batman killed Ras. Bruce's character is very inconsistent throughout the series.

Joker. The dark knight ending to joker is darn good but that is the last we see or hear from him again so that being his official ending is weak overall. I always said it was a mistake not to continue with the joker for a third movie joker being recast because I thought it would make for a better story.
I think there should've been one more scene at the end. They could've done a Nolan cut scene special when Batman and Gordon were discussing how the Joker "can't win". They could've showed Joker being locked up and laughing when Batman is driving away on his Batpod.

Two-face. My only problem with this is I wanted two face to remain alive because he's one of my favorite villains and one who could easily be in all 3 movies of a trilogy. He's that fascinating and we never really got to see him spread his wings as a villain.
I think they should've kept him alive and made him an extreme vigilante, killing people he thought were bad for Gotham. I just watched The Dark Knight and found it odd how Batman walks right up to an armed Two-Face.

Bane blasted by catwoman was so uninspiring. I mean I wanted batman to end bane somehow. Like batman and bane fighting near a ledge in an epic battle and bane somehow someway falls off.
By far the worst. I was saying in my mind, "WTF"? I wanted Bane's mask to break off and Batman turn the tables on him, fighting when you're at your weakest. Being frustrated at what has happened to his city, I wanted Batman to get to a point where he contemplates beating Bane to death, but obviously doesn't.

Talia is a much more interesting character than this movie made her out. Why make a reveal only to have her be killed 5 minutes later. What a waste.
I agree. If people watch closely, she's actually a sick-twisted biotch throughout the movie. But because Batman defeated Bane, her hand was forced ala Ras in BB. Like her father, I don't think her intention was to ever reveal herself but Batman forced her to.

Last edited:
Ra's Al Ghul had the best ending, at least it was a fairly exciting climax at the end of the movie and a decent (though poorly shot) fight scene.

Scarecrow never got an ending, he just kept showing up for cameos in the sequels.

Two-Face just fell and you don't even know if he died or not. Lame ending to a great character.

Joker's was anti-climactic. His 'social experiment' fails and he is just left hanging there waiting for the sequel.

Bane's was anti-climactic, also.

Talia's was laughably bad, the way it was acted.

You don't know if Two-Face died? Because I'm pretty sure the majority does know that he died.

You don't know if Two-Face died? Because I'm pretty sure the majority does know that he died.

The majority knew Two-Face was always dead at the end of TDK.

Wishful thinking is what made some think he wasn't. I won't lie, I too had that mindset for awhile.

I remember the age-old wishful thinking that Gordon instead hid an alive Dent in a secret ward inside Arkham Asylum to be treated :funny:

Haha yeah, I never bought into the Dent being alive stuff. However, I will come clean as a full-on, ADAMANT Hugo Strange supporter, lol.

I still think that, like Bane, he's a character with a lot of potential just waiting to be realized though. Him being the first ever villain to appear in Batman comics is a pretty cool claim to fame too.

The funeral for Harvey Dent at the end of TDK was kind of a big give away that he was dead.

Who remembers all the "Harvey Dent didn't die, he's locked away!" discussions/arguments that were all over the place after July of 2008?

Maaaaan. Hahhaahahahaha.

And "I saw him breathing, I saw his abdomen rise".

I actually had a bet with my friend who was insisting that Dent would show up (alive) in TDKR. Easiest bet I ever won, haha.

I actually had a bet with my friend who was insisting that Dent would show up (alive) in TDKR. Easiest bet I ever won, haha.

If it were me, and I had that bet with ya, I would have been like, "but he was alive in TDKR . . . in flash back!"

If it were me, and I had that bet with ya, I would have been like, "but he was alive in TDKR . . . in flash back!"

Yeah that was a close one haha. But the terms of the bet was new footage filmed with Eckhart, luckily for me.

That whole story Eckhart told on Conan about meeting Nolan on the beach and being told he wasn't in the movie...yeah, my buddy was convinced that was all an elaborate ruse, hahaha. Oh good times.

Too bad we only got a glimpse of the darker Harvey in the Thomas Schiff scene before Rachel's death. I love how one side of his face is lit and how is yelling "YOU CAN'T GIVE IN" is reminiscent of the scenes in the hospital. That's great foreshadowing. I mean there must be some reason why he'd have the nick name "Harvey Two-Face" at the M.C.U. I know the novel delves into it (which I don't consider canon), especially with his father's "lucky" coin, but it would have been cool to learn about a trauma he may have faced before Rachel (if there was one), like Batman and the Joker.

It would have been nice to see a serious, fleshed out Two-Face that suffers from a split personality disorder. I remember those rumors around this time in 2008 (close to when that CGI concept of Two-Face emerged) that stated "Eckhart and Nolan are going for something along the lines of Gollum/Smeagol" and I got really excited. Pity we never got to see that. I went in spoiler free and totally expected to see him snap and have a new personality emerge instead of the revenge/killing spree we got in the film. That surprised look he gives Gordon when he realizes the place is surrounded (like he can't believe Gordon would do that) and him pointing the pistol at his scarred face stating "there is no escape from this" was great. As much as his death needed to happen for the Dark Knight's ending to exist, would have been nice if we saw a continuation of his character and trauma.

It's fine for what it is, but I could see Eckhart pulling that off convincingly in a Batman film and having Batman/Bruce Wayne having to deal with that. Fairness, randomness, balance, etc.

Last edited:
the only poor villain endings i can recall is Bane and Talia....
other than that the villains were pretty solid.

The funeral for Harvey Dent at the end of TDK was kind of a big give away that he was dead.

Part of Gordon's conspiracy. :woot: That's what I thought. The fall wasn't that high. It was left ambiguous whether Harvey was really dead. I still left the theatre thinking, "that was it?",... Two-Face was barely in the movie, I thought they were going to save him for the sequel. :dry:

Part of Gordon's conspiracy. :woot: That's what I thought. The fall wasn't that high. It was left ambiguous whether Harvey was really dead.

That was your misconception. He was clearly dead. A living corrupted Dent couldn't be swept under the rug by Gordon alone.

I still left the theatre thinking, "that was it?",... Two-Face was barely in the movie, I thought they were going to save him for the sequel. :dry:

Sorry, this isn't the Burton movies where the villains dominate the screen time.

Last edited:
I don't think being shot in the chest with a canon is a bad death, and the whole scene was a good way to show the ethical differences between Catwoman and Batman.
I don't mind it, either. That's what it took to take him down. Two cannons at point blank range.

When I saw the movie with somebody, on like my second or third viewing, they loved it. For the entire movie they were whispering "why don't they just shoot him?" So when Catwoman rolled in to the deed, they had a big grin on their face. "Finally" they said. :funny:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"