Transformers What the Hell? Bumblebee a CAMARO!!??

WalkingDead said:
And I NEVER argued that point with you...I've been agreeing with you. Windcharger COULD HAVE been given BB's traits, but he didn't.

And Yes...Jim Shooter came up with Cybertron, the original 4-issue story arc, and plotted out most of the inital 4-issue story. Bob Budiansky wrote up almost all the characters himself.

I know. I'm not arguing either. I'm ASKING-- philosophically--- why you think BB was made the main character and given his "qualities" and not Windcharger? (keeping in mind that these toys were personality-less).

[edit]
Was it a coin toss like ragdus says? I don't believe that. I don't know any writer that works that way. I'm sure there were reasons. But who knows.

CFlash said:
I know. I'm not arguing either. I'm ASKING-- philosophically--- why you think BB was made the main character and given his "qualities" and not Windcharger? (keeping in mind that these toys were personality-less).

I have to say it like this...
Bumblebee got his persona, his character traits, and his abilities based on his robot design, his alt. mode, and his overall vibe. He was written as the smallest, when infact Cliffjumper and Gears were originally the same size...but BB was made the smallest to give him that underdog treatment to go along with his friendly nature and his hard-working, never give up ethic.

I've NEVER denied the fact that many of the original TF's were given their persona and traits because of their alt. modes. Many of them were given their personalities and abilties solely cause of what they turned into or how they looked overall. Bumblebee included. If you look at the toys, Bumblebee looks much weaker than say Huffer or Windcharger. The only one who looks as weak as BB is Cliffjumper, but story-wise Cliffjumper was not weak, he was a fast, hard-hitting little bot.

So the reason why Bumblebee had his persona is due to his look, alt. mode, and his overall feel. Which is what you've wanted to hear this whole time....
HOWEVER, I do NOT feel that Bumblebee can't still be who he is just because he's been given a new alt. mode....junker muscle car or not. Because unless they make a lot of radical changes, BB is still going to be the underdog...he's still gonna have the eager, friendly, and keep on trying attitude and personality we all know Bumblebee to have. His alt. mode isn't some suped-up mega race car that can dust everyone. IT'S A BEATEN UP JUNKER CAR...camero or not.

WalkingDead said:
I have to say it like this...
Bumblebee got his persona, his character traits, and his abilities based on his robot design, his alt. mode, and his overall vibe. He was written as the smallest, when infact Cliffjumper and Gears were originally the same size...but BB was made the smallest to give him that underdog treatment to go along with his friendly nature and his hard-working, never give up ethic.

I've NEVER denied the fact that many of the original TF's were given their persona and traits because of their alt. modes. Many of them were given their personalities and abilties solely cause of what they turned into or how they looked overall. Bumblebee included. If you look at the toys, Bumblebee looks much weaker than say Huffer or Windcharger. The only one who looks as weak as BB is Cliffjumper, but story-wise Cliffjumper was not weak, he was a fast, hard-hitting little bot.

So the reason why Bumblebee had his persona is due to his look, alt. mode, and his overall feel. Which is what you've wanted to hear this whole time....
HOWEVER, I do NOT feel that Bumblebee can't still be who he is just because he's been given a new alt. mode....junker muscle car or not. Because unless they make a lot of radical changes, BB is still going to be the underdog...he's still gonna have the eager, friendly, and keep on trying attitude and personality we all know Bumblebee to have. His alt. mode isn't some suped-up mega race car that can dust everyone. IT'S A BEATEN UP JUNKER CAR...camero or not.

Point taken. And I agree with you guys on the "personality" thing... at least I hope you're right and it turns out that way in the movie. I still don't see why him being a Camaro is necessary (no matter how you cut it's symbolically unfaithful... highly so) but if it works for the movie it works for the movie.

I hope they get Michael J Fox to do Bumblebees voice. That would rock.

Mic said:
I hope they get Michael J Fox to do Bumblebees voice. That would rock.
Last rumor I heard was Billy West (Fry on Futurama, Honey Nut Cheerios Bee) was the main voice actor they were looking at for Bumblebee...though that's just a rumor.

CFlash said:
Point taken. And I agree with you guys on the "personality" thing... at least I hope you're right and it turns out that way in the movie. I still don't see why him being a Camaro is necessary (no matter how you cut it's symbolically unfaithful... highly so) but if it works for the movie it works for the movie.
I agree that a camero is NOT necessary...but I also can look past the fact it is a muscle car. Plus the alt. modes won't make or break this film for me at all...even if Optimus Prime is a mid-sized pick-up truck or a tow-truck or a hummer. The thing that will make or break this film for me is how the TF's personalities are handled.

Put some intake manifolds on the trunk and it looks alot like Sunsteaker to me!

Radford said:
Porsche is the same way as VW these days.

they dont want their cars used in war-like fashion.

so Jazz, being my favorite as a kid, is more than likely ruined for me.

i understand the car companies decisions. but i dont like it. :down

:spidey: I dont understand their decision at all!! "OMG a VW bug that transforms into a robot that can fire a gun, I think I will go declare war on some random faction, because if its ok for a fictional VW Bug from another planet that somehow transforms into a 16-25ft Talking Robot to be at war with other fictional robots its OK by us..!!" Come on people who thinks like that?...NO ONE...ITs a poor reason to not allow your automobile to be represented in a MOVIE!!

You guys do know that Bay claims that all the names being used now are just code names, and will change in the film itself, right?

Mister Gone said:
You guys do know that Bay claims that all the names being used now are just code names, and will change in the film itself, right?

I think he said this was true of the Decepticons- who for the most part aren't referenced by name in the actual dialog. It's pretty much set in stone that the yellow Camaro is Bumblebee. Unless Bay decided to change the name to Windcharger in latter (unleaked) scripts. This would be a lot more faithful in terms of symbolism (he was a Camaro in some molds, Trans-am in others)... .... but not so much in terms of story (as Windcharger wasn't Spike's car or the human "liaison").

I don't think the alt-mode "upgrade" is so drastic they should change his name aswell. They've basically toughened up the character, and let's face it, in a world of Decepticon tanks/minesweepers/jets it won't make a whole lot of difference.

So basically he'll be able to handle the Decepticons in a similar way to Jazz and the other Carbots, which is important because he's the main Autobot besides Optimus and he'll probably grab the most screentime so there won't be much time for heroics if he's continually being pummelled by every Decepticon under the sun.

Not that a VW would've given him a tiny alt-mode but I guess the Camaro takes it up a notch (although personally I think a Bug could've worked).

Spark said:
Not that a VW would've given him a tiny alt-mode but I guess the Camaro takes it up a notch (although personally I think a Bug could've worked).

I'm not even a big fan of VW Bugs (they're a bit effeminate). I think a Mini-Cooper would have worked a whole of lot better... A LOT.

Hell, a PT Cruiser would have been better (although that would undermine the whole fuel economy thing). Whatever.... just not a cliched hot-rod. *big eye roll* :rolleyes:

CFlash said:
I'm not even a big fan of VW Bugs (they're a bit effeminate). I think a Mini-Cooper would have worked a whole of lot better... A LOT.

Hell, a PT Cruiser would have been better (although that would undermine the whole fuel economy thing). Whatever.... just not a cliched hot-rod. *big eye roll* :rolleyes:

If we go by the Alternators toyline...
Hasbro couldn't get Porsche, Lamborghini, Volkswagen, and two other car companies (I can't remember the other two companies) to agree to allow them to make their products as Transformers.

EDIT: I believe it was BMW and Lexus that wouldn't agree to work with Hasbro on the Alternators toyline.

Hasbro has really good relations with GM, Ford, Dodge, and Jeep right now for their products and I doubt they'll push too hard for other car companies for the movie, since already they have a wide-range of cars to work with.

bufo said:
check out http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...q=transformers, about 3/4 though it bummblebee is a volkswagon in a parking lot. It's from the comicon showing
That's a fan-made CGI thing that was made I believe about 3-4 years ago. And it's not Bumblebee...it's Jazz as the Beetle. It has Jazz's head, leg design, and crotch design.

What I love is the head design of Prime they show from the Movie Conceptual art. Oh, and the AWESOME cinematic of Camero Bumblebee getting chased down and trashed by Helicopter Soundwave. That Helicopter Soundwave look is so good. That part of the video is the friggin' best!!

WalkingDead said:
What I love is the head design of Prime they show from the Movie Conceptual art. Oh, and the AWESOME cinematic of Camero Bumblebee getting chased down and trashed by Helicopter Soundwave. That Helicopter Soundwave look is so good. That part of the video is the friggin' best!!

I agree. That stuff looked awesome. Shame you have to sit through a lot of fluff to see it. First time, I just FF through it and missed those cool scenes.

I love Steven Spielberg talking part. That guy will save this movie from the evil clutches of mediocrity Hollywood eye-candy schlock (I'm talking to you BAY! :mad: ).

It was Spielberg who wanted Bay involved. Infact the 'boy and his car' thing has got his name written all over it. ;)

Spark said:
It was Spielberg who wanted Bay involved. Infact the 'boy and his car' thing has got his name written all over it. ;)
Yeah Spielberg always thought Bay was the good choice for this movie, since Bay's good at car chases, action-y moments, and has used a lot of explosions. I'm sure Speilberg will come in and make several changes towards the middle and end of production to compliment Bay's work.

WalkingDead said:
I'm sure Speilberg will come in and make several changes towards the middle and end of production to compliment Bay's work.

And with that, this movie is poised to become one of the best action/sci-fi movies of all time. Steven Spielberg has "the touch" that turns even seemingly "camp" stuff into golden drama/sci-fi (as in Men in Black- which he also Exec Produced). But, for Transformers at least, he needed someone like Bay to balance it out.

It was indeed an inspired decision (even if I personally think Bay makes brainless schlock).

Then again, I remember thinking Shumacher was going to *perfect* Batman (by making it even more serious and a true dark 'Detective' noir movie) because his credentials were absolutely top notch.... and look what he did. :down :)

CFlash said:
And with that, this movie is poised to become one of the best action/sci-fi movies of all time. Steven Spielberg has "the touch" that turns even seemingly "camp" stuff into golden drama/sci-fi (as in Men in Black- which he also Exec Produced). But, for Transformers at least, he needed someone like Bay to balance it out.

It was indeed an inspired decision (even if I personally think Bay makes brainless schlock).

Then again, I remember thinking Shumacher was going to *perfect* Batman (by making it even more serious and a true dark 'Detective' noir movie) because his credentials were absolutely top notch.... and look what he did. :down :)

really? i didnt know shumacher was picked to be that kind of director for batman. damn wonder what happened there!!!

CFlash said:

The problem was this...he was not a fan of comics, nor did he fully understand the character. The studio told him to make it more like the 60's TV series, brighter, less moody, more for kids. The studio was counting on revenue from toy sales, so they pushed for the changes that Shumacher made.

bluejake01 said:
The problem was this...he was not a fan of comics, nor did he fully understand the character. The studio told him to make it more like the 60's TV series, brighter, less moody, more for kids. The studio was counting on revenue from toy sales, so they pushed for the changes that Shumacher made.

I'm sure that's true. But if you look at a lot of his previous work (Flatliners, A Time to Kill, Falling Down and even Lost Boys- one of my fave movies of all time) he totally had the makings of creating a great- and serious- take on Batman.

But whereas Tim Burton researched all sorts of things Batman (he cited Frank Miller's Darkknight and Alan Moore's A Killing Joke as huge influences... as well as the campy TV show (for iconic reasons)).... Shumacker seems to have totally relied 100% on the TV Show.

Like you said, not being a fan-- or lIMO not loving the source(s)-- is what caused him to ruin Batman. I fear the same thing for TF as Bay seems to dislike every element so much as to change it completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"