The Rise of Skywalker What will Disney do next?

KqcKq5Yw7ClDnWdp3CVIy5sAbKcFYijonWw7PN63a7E.png

People talk about Knights of the Old Republic or The Old Republic a lot. But I ask, is this what they really want or do they just like the idea for this? And if they do Old Republic, will they truly handle it any better than the sequel trilogy?

The problem they'll have is they'll be stuck with a history that's already been written. As far as I know only the EU events after ROTJ were thrown out the window. Setting a new series before then is going to lock them into a timeline they'll have very little say over.

EU was already getting thrown out when George Lucas started releasing the prequels. Case in point: Kid Boba Fett, which was stupid.

In other words, Lucas was already pulling the nonsense Abrams has been accused of years earlier.

We know for sure we're getting another season of Mandalorian, which is awesome. Another season of Clone Wars, which fans apparently love. And we're getting a miniseries about Obi-Wan and a series about Cassian Andor and K2SO. So we know what we're getting for a while.

Here's what I would say, don't definitively release a new movie in 2023. Actually think hard and long about what you want to do with the next movie. Get your story and beats written out and then move forward. So if the next movie doesn't come out until 2025, so be it. I say take your time.

People talk about Knights of the Old Republic or The Old Republic a lot. But I ask, is this what they really want or do they just like the idea for this? And if they do Old Republic, will they truly handle it any better than the sequel trilogy?

I haven't actually played the game or read any of the books but from a lot of YouTube videos I have watched on the character and time period I think it would make for a new and interesting story

1. The time period change I think offers up a lot of new options story options.

2. I like the idea of moving away from the Skywalker family line on to a new one.

3. New conflicts to explore like The Mandalorian Wars, Jedi Civil War & Great Galactic War.

4. Really like the idea of a character not just flirting with dark side and light side (like we have seen so many times already) but fully embracing both and having an arc for each before the turn.

5. A new threat to face in Vitiate (I mean I feel like we've really had enough Palpatine at this point)

I haven't actually played the game or read any of the books but from a lot of YouTube videos I have watched on the character and time period I think it would make for a new and interesting story

1. The time period change I think offers up a lot of new options story options.

2. I like the idea of moving away from the Skywalker family line on to a new one.

3. New conflicts to explore like The Mandalorian Wars, Jedi Civil War & Great Galactic War.

4. Really like the idea of a character not just flirting with dark side and light side (like we have seen so many times already) but fully embracing both and having an arc for each before the turn.

5. A new threat to face in Vitiate (I mean I feel like we've really had enough Palpatine at this point)

OK fair.

You see from my standpoint, I don't get why Episode 9 has to be "the end." Why can't they do movies set after episode 9 just with completely different sets of characters? Sort of means that anything new will be stuck as perpetual prequels, which I personally don't like.

OK fair.

You see from my standpoint, I don't get why Episode 9 has to be "the end." Why can't they do movies set after episode 9 just with completely different sets of characters? Sort of means that anything new will be stuck as perpetual prequels, which I personally don't like.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong I don't want to see them move to a prequel timeline permanently. I just think the character Revan could make for an excellent one for them to do a new trilogy on while moving away from the Skywalker name.

After that im not opposed to them setting movies after episode 9.

Movie 1 can have a full movie with him as a jedi (who is questioning the teachings) following him during the Mandalorian Wars and the final conflict between Revan & Mandalore The Ultimate with Mandalore's reveal being the cliffhanger.

Movie 2 begins with Revan & Malik searching for the Sith & their home world discovering it and due to their arrogance trying to defeat the Emperor on their own and ending up falling to the dark side, serving him and turning against the Republic.

Movie 3 can focus on his eventual return to the light side due to having his mind wiped.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong I don't want to see them move to a prequel timeline permanently. I just think the character Revan could make for an excellent one for them to do a new trilogy on while moving away from the Skywalker name.

After that im not opposed to them setting movies after episode 9.

Movie 1 can have a full movie with him as a jedi (who is questioning the teachings) following him during the Mandalorian Wars and the final conflict between Revan & Mandalore The Ultimate with Mandalore's reveal being the cliffhanger.

Movie 2 begins with Revan & Malik searching for the Sith & their home world discovering it and due to their arrogance trying to defeat the Emperor on their own and ending up falling to the dark side, serving him and turning against the Republic.

Movie 3 can focus on his eventual return to the light side due to having his mind wiped.

Interesting ideas. I wouldn't be against Revan and Malik films, but I guess the issue there is would filmmakers still be OK with adapting game stories without making tons of changes?

Interesting ideas. I wouldn't be against Revan and Malik films, but I guess the issue there is would filmmakers still be OK with adapting game stories without making tons of changes?
True I think you definitely would need to make changes to the story and that's coming from someone who only has a very basic overview of that time period. Mega fans even if they do want to see Revan wont just want it to be a live action version of the game they have already played through.

Since we're doing pitches here's mine. I would like a modern CG-animated reinterpretation of Shadows of the Empire.

Basically, a CG-animated feature that's still canon to the original trilogy features the classic characters. So you get to see Luke, but it's a fully animated CG model so you don't have to worry about that whole UNCANNY VALLEY CG makeup/motion capture issue. It can be more stylized. Think sort of like Into The Spider-Verse.

This way you can introduce Dash Rendar, show some Boba Fett stuff and retell the story to fit into the revised canon. You can keep original actors as voices where appropriate, recast the rest.

You see, I see no reason why there can't be feature length theatrical animation for Star Wars. As well as reimagining and adapting old stories. I think Shadows of the Empire was a huge deal for a lot of fans at the time. But I don't think if you did a movie it would have to be live-action.

Last edited:
It just occured to me that we havent heard anything about Starkiller since the Force Unleashed 2.
Considering that TFA plays roughly 30 years(has someone a clear timeframe?) after ROJ, i think this gives a lot of time to play with.
I would like to see starkiller back, i would love to see the time after ROJ.

Of course they shot my dream in both legs of having games and series and movies with the skywalker kids...but hey, there is still enough time to do stuff.

Also and i just want to throw out the idea again...did anybody thought about the possibility of a multiverse inside the star wars universe?
A cool concept if you ask me that opens so much limitless potential.

We could still have the Legends stuff, we could have "what could be" universes, we could have stuff that starts after ROJ and goes in a different direction.
And that is just when i think about the time after ROJ...imagine between and before...oh god so much possibility.:hubba

I would be perfectly fine with tons of changes. The details aren't the appeal of KOTR to me. It is the basic concept of a story where
the main character turns out to have been the main villain
is an interesting and different one. Get Revan/Malak/Bastila and their basic arcs right and the rest of it isn't a big deal.

Last edited:
I would be perfectly fine with tons of changes. The details aren't the appeal of KOTR to me. It is the basic concept of a story where is an interesting and different one. Get Revan/Malak/Bastila and their basic arcs right and the rest of it isn't a big deal.

Yup, as much as i love Kotor, i would change a Ton of things in it.
It worked for its time, but i would absolutly rework a lot of aspects.
Get the basic arcs right, the rest can be changed to fit and Flow better.

Last edited:
I care about Bastila's characterization (and her posh British accent), but yeah, I'm not keeping track of every detail.

I've seen the idea of a KotOR film criticized because everything basically looked the same in The Old Republic as it did in the films. That's something that makes sense to me in the game because the idea of the game is getting to be a Jedi and exist in the Star Wars world you know, but I think they could give things from that time a different feel and different technology while still keeping the same core characters and story concept.

Yup, as much as i love Kotor, i would change a Ton of things in it.
It worked for its time, but i would absolutly rework a lot of aspects.
Get the basic arcs right, the rest can be changed to fit and Flow better.

Sorry, I fixed the spoiler tags so you might want to edit your quote. My mistake.

I'd much prefer the KOTOR stories I know and love remastered and preserved, with a KOTOR 3 to follow. The films can pick any point in time, and Mando proves that it's probably better for Disney to create characters and free themselves of the baggage of expectation.

I think no more trilogies might be a way to go. Or at least more standalone films that can possibly extend into sequels, but nothing that has to be a sequel

I think no more trilogies might be a way to go. Or at least more standalone films that can possibly extend into sequels, but nothing that has to be a sequel

Studios (and audiences) have this mindset that everything needs to be a trilogy, but I think that line of thinking is too restricting. Come up with the story you want to tell first, and if it fits a trilogy then great, but too often things seem forced to fit that format. Not everything needs to be a trilogy. Stuff like Harry Potter, James Bond, The Avengers, did just fine without being one.

Given how it seemed like this film tried to do too much, it is very possible this sequel series would have worked better as a tetralogy instead.

I would be perfectly fine with tons of changes. The details aren't the appeal of KOTR to me. It is the basic concept of a story where
the main character turns out to have been the main villain
is an interesting and different one. Get Revan/Malak/Bastila and their basic arcs right and the rest of it isn't a big deal.

You mean like the Prequel Trilogy? ;)

If the rumors are true we're going 400 years in the past and to the edges of the galaxy, and in a multi-platform manner. Whether or not that will include movies... who knows.

I like the direction of going someplace else in the timeline. IMH (and most-certainly minority) opinion... that's what they should have done from the start. Why? Because henzINNIT is totally right, basically any existing character (Legends or not) has baggage of expectations.

I'm a big SW fan, just not a gamer and I never played KOTOR so I don't know a ton about Revan, but I know he seems to be massively loved by those that know the character. No matter what they end up doing with that character, when they tackle it in canon, there's going to be a group of people that are going to end up complaining. BTW... I think anything EU before the PT time period was also rendered Legends.

I'm assuming that at some point down the line they'll come back with an Ep. X-XII... personally I don't think I would. At some point it gets silly with the numbers (like Jaws 25 or whatever it was in Back to the Future 2). Just sub-brand the trilogy or series or whatever.

Would have been great if with IX they'd kinda given us some firm answers about the nature of the force and the chosen one prophecy and 'balance'... ie, basically lay the groundwork for 'this is how the force actually works in the universe'... but instead they introduced many more things to question about the story itself. Perhaps that would make other efforts for story telling down the line too restrictive... not sure.

I've kinda just decided that as far as Canon is concerned, we've now just only seen a 60-70 year period (or whatever the number is) in the 'history' of this SW Galaxy. And within the stories we've been told, we've been given a few references to things that happened prior.. but nothing firm (within Canon). We've only seen a blip of time and there's a movie franchise around it that's taken 40 years to finish.... if done right, you could flesh out another 'franchise' from any other 80 year period/blip on that Galaxy's timeline. Heck... I never thought any 'Balance' brought by Anakin/Luke would last forever.... I just figured it'd be hundreds or thousands of years in the future when the characters we've loved are long gone.

KOTOR should be a trilogy.

The trilogy could go something like this.

part 1: Focus on Revans role in the jedi/mandalorian war. Revan goes from a young, somewhat idealistic jedi to a hardened leader who is losing faith in the jedi ways due to the councils mishandling of the war.

part 2: conclude the jedi/mando war half way through the movie. Revan falls to the dark side as he uses increasingly brutal methods to win the war. A conflict with the jedi council over his methods leads to to him turning on the jedi and the movie ends with him and malak fleeing in search of a sith army. Introduce a subplot for Bastila in which she goes from being unsure of herself to discovering how powerful she actually is. Becoming a kind of "new hope" by the end of the movie.

part 3: Just a streamlined version of the games storyline with all of the core characters and important moments. With the "twist" being a huge moment for the supporting characters. Especially Bastila who is shocked to learn who she has fallen in love with.

Since we're doing pitches here's mine. I would like a modern CG-animated reinterpretation of Shadows of the Empire.

Basically, a CG-animated feature that's still canon to the original trilogy features the classic characters. So you get to see Luke, but it's a fully animated CG model so you don't have to worry about that whole UNCANNY VALLEY CG makeup/motion capture issue. It can be more stylized. Think sort of like Into The Spider-Verse.

This way you can introduce Dash Rendar, show some Boba Fett stuff and retell the story to fit into the revised canon. You can keep original actors as voices where appropriate, recast the rest.

You see, I see no reason why there can't be feature length theatrical animation for Star Wars. As well as reimagining and adapting old stories. I think Shadows of the Empire was a huge deal for a lot of fans at the time. But I don't think if you did a movie it would have to be live-action.

Honestly, I think they should make a bunch of slightly stylized animated movies starring the OT cast. That's what Solo should have been.

You mean like the Prequel Trilogy? ;)

No, that's different.
The PT is about the hero falling to the darkside. KOTOR was about the hero already being the villain in his past, but not knowing it so it ended up being a twist. Palpatine's story in the prequels I guess is kind of like it, but not really since it was obvious from the start for anybody who knew anything about Star Wars that Emperor Palpatine and Senator Palpatine were the same guy.

Studios (and audiences) have this mindset that everything needs to be a trilogy, but I think that line of thinking is too restricting. Come up with the story you want to tell first, and if it fits a trilogy then great, but too often things seem forced to fit that format. Not everything needs to be a trilogy. Stuff like Harry Potter, James Bond, The Avengers, did just fine without being one.

Given how it seemed like this film tried to do too much, it is very possible this sequel series would have worked better as a tetralogy instead.
I like the sound of a tetralogy or a pentalogy than the usual trilogy.

I'm a big SW fan, just not a gamer and I never played KOTOR so I don't know a ton about Revan, but I know he seems to be massively loved by those that know the character. No matter what they end up doing with that character, when they tackle it in canon, there's going to be a group of people that are going to end up complaining. BTW... I think anything EU before the PT time period was also rendered Legends.

This is more true than usual with Revan. Beyond the usual canon, the character's most significant role was as the player character in KOTOR 1, where you could shape them to your liking. So it's fan expectation according to canon and also the various decision of each player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"