Arrow What Would Arrow's Harley Quinn Be Like?

mr. peasant

Sidekick
Reaction score
By now, most of us would have watched Episode 16 by now, in which Harley Quinn made a brief cameo as a prisoner in ARGUS' detention facility. Unfortunately, thus far, there doesn't appear to be any concrete plans to bring her into the show. However, precedent has been set and we know that her character at least exists in this universe. As such, I figured we might as well have some fun and make a little game out of it. What do you imagine Arrow's version of Harley Quinn would be like, were she to appear in the show some time in the future?

Of course, there needs to be some restrictions:

1. The character needs to remain faithful to Harley Quinn as a character while at the same time not involve any mention of the Joker or Batman, as there is thus far no direct evidence that either exist in this universe and it's unlikely that either would ever be allowed to be brought in by the powers that be.
  2. The reason for her code name needs to make sense.
  3. Her activities need to be severe enough to attract ARGUS' attention, while at the same time provide skills that are of use to them to warrant their detaining her.

Any thoughts? :woot:

I'm not that sure point 1) needs to be that restrictive. I share the thought that the DC-powers (mwhahaha) won't let them use big bad Batsy and his friendly clown mate, but they can be hinted at, just very briefly.
Harley could talk about having lived in Gotham where she got in trouble with some "bad cop" and his "gang", which would make "your (Starling's) Robin Hood look quite stupid. The reson for her getting into crime and "bombing some hospitals", "killing some boring people" etc. would be her "psycho ex". "Leaving him was hard, he could be such a child, I was more like a therapist to him than a girlfriend, but eventually I (she, Harley) got over him!". The only thing which (at least that's what she says) remains of their relationship is "the taste for fashion he taught me".
So you'd have covered her past, hinting at Batman in the Arrowverse without having a reason to ever let him appear, and you'd have a faithful Harley with a clownish appearance.Move on to make her her own character.
Point 2) ? Just keep it as it is. Harleen is her name (maybe get rid of the Quinzel (such a coincidence!)...she became a Harlequin...hence: Harley Quinn! Maybe just never tell her real last-name.
As for number 3): She'd have caused all sorts of mayhem (see the above explanation of her past for some ideas). Her skills would include: acrobacy, quite good hand to hand combat, (apparent) lack of morals and ruthlessness (didge the giant hammer for a real hammer as favourite weapon which she uses to scatter skulls etc.), escapology and female charm (make her a CW-worth bombshell).

The fact that Harley is already Harley surely means that the Joker at least exists in this Universe. No need to mention it Comic Fans would just assume

Even if they never mention it directly, the fact that Harley Quinn exists in the Arrowverse means the Joker and Batman exist as well. Again, that doesn't mean those guy will be mentioned or anything, but you could say it's already given that they do, at least in the producers' minds.

As for Harley's future, I'd love to see her more with Waller and the Suicide Squad. I wouldn't want her to just go to Starling and just be classic Harley Quinn there but in Starling instead of Gotham. They really have the chance to do something new and explore her as a SS member, which is uncovered ground at this point.

I completely disagree with that notion. No matter how closely tied two or more characters/elements are in other continuities, the same does not necessarily hold true in any new adaptation. Sure, it might seem strange and/or invoke opposition by fans of the source material, there is nothing that is physically forcing the creators' hand to include said other characters/elements if they opt not to.

For instance, back when Malcolm Merlyn revealed that he'd been trained in Nanda Parbhat, his involvement with the League of Assassins was not a de facto certainty. Rather, it'd merely been assumed by fans and existed simply as fanon rather than canon; with the creators in fact going out of their way not to mention the faction until they got DC/WB's okay.

I'm not that sure point 1) needs to be that restrictive. I share the thought that the DC-powers (mwhahaha) won't let them use big bad Batsy and his friendly clown mate, but they can be hinted at, just very briefly.
Harley could talk about having lived in Gotham where she got in trouble with some "bad cop" and his "gang", which would make "your (Starling's) Robin Hood look quite stupid. The reson for her getting into crime and "bombing some hospitals", "killing some boring people" etc. would be her "psycho ex". "Leaving him was hard, he could be such a child, I was more like a therapist to him than a girlfriend, but eventually I (she, Harley) got over him!". The only thing which (at least that's what she says) remains of their relationship is "the taste for fashion he taught me".
So you'd have covered her past, hinting at Batman in the Arrowverse without having a reason to ever let him appear, and you'd have a faithful Harley with a clownish appearance.Move on to make her her own character.
Point 2) ? Just keep it as it is. Harleen is her name (maybe get rid of the Quinzel (such a coincidence!)...she became a Harlequin...hence: Harley Quinn! Maybe just never tell her real last-name.
As for number 3): She'd have caused all sorts of mayhem (see the above explanation of her past for some ideas). Her skills would include: acrobacy, quite good hand to hand combat, (apparent) lack of morals and ruthlessness (didge the giant hammer for a real hammer as favourite weapon which she uses to scatter skulls etc.), escapology and female charm (make her a CW-worth bombshell).

I like what you've come up with, though I think her backstory should be simplified a little more; the reason being it'd likely be hard to introduce her as such since the show would likely not have that much time to go through it when they first introduce the character.

I don't know why, but I always saw Harley as being somewhat inspired by the gun moll image (let's face it, BTAS was pretty much a film noir with 1920s imagery). In that respect, perhaps Harley's backstory could have her being described either as "a Bonnie looking for her Clyde" or - if an allusion to the Joker is indeed desired - have it noted that "she and her partner fancied themselves as something of a Bonnie and Clyde, paving a path of destruction from Gotham all the way to Bludhaven" and that he's "no longer part of the picture" (to stem expectations of seeing the Joker).

She'd be an agent of chaos and certifiably insane. She'd suffer from a 'multiple personality'-type disorder such that when she assumes an identity, she gets so into the role to the point she seems to believe it herself - at least for the duration it's needed for the op - hence the codename "Harlequinn".

As for equipment, I'd much prefer her going for small arms such as derringers and snub-nosed revolvers a la her original appearance. And when the occasion allows for it, a concealed Tommy gun. Again, it's to match the gun moll aesthetic I'm going for. Plus, we haven't really seen many female characters sporting firearms, where as quite a few are already expert martial artists.

Lastly, for her appearance, I say ditch the jester outfit completely and just maintain the red-and-black colour scheme a la all her recent redesigns.

Last edited:
I think that cameo was enough, I don't need to see more Harley, but I'll be happy if we get to see her.

Arkham City Harley is the look they should go for. Would be easy to do on Arrow's budget too.

I didn't care for the cameo and don't think we need to see her again. If we did, I don't think it would be too hard for them to acknowledge, but at the same time disregard, her connection and history with the Joker.

Harley has already established herself enough to stand on her own as a character.

An offhanded Joker reference that doesn't even name him would be enough.

Harley has already established herself enough to stand on her own as a character.

An offhanded Joker reference that doesn't even name him would be enough.
I agree, especially with her New 52 on-going series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"