What would you like to see in the rumoured new costume?

Need to ask Saint about that, he had a perfect explanation but I've forgotten what it is.

It may be this one:

Saint said:
As I always say, Batman comes from three schools: monster, soldier, and superhero. Some will say "He's not a superhero," but those individuals are kidding themselves. Certainly true of individual stories, but we have to consider the entirety of his history. He is one part superhero, plain and simple.

Anyways, the suit is designed accordingly. It communicates differently to different people, as is it's purpose. He cannot look strictly like a demon bat-thing, because that would make effective relations with police, witnesses, and civilians considerably more difficult, if not impossible. Cops would do nothing but shoot at him, and witnesses and civilians would run in terror. Yes, they do this sometimes anyway, but those instances are decidedly reduced because the batsuit makes him recognizable as a human being upon closer inspection.

For the cops, this means they know he's a man--superpowers or not--and can thus be reasoned with. He falls into a pattern they understand, and as such they fall into a pattern Batman understands. It makes dealing with them, whether they are acting as allies or enemies, that much easier than if they ran away from him in terror, or shot mindlessly at him. Why else wouldn't he disguise his gear (the soldier element)? Cops see the gear, and they can relate. That's an easy win.

As for the public, well, they recognize superhero conventions. The symbol on his chest means he is one, but to do that it has to be seen. Black on black isn't so good for that. If he's a superhero--with a symbol on his chest and a human face to look at--civilians and witnesses will be naturally more inclined to cooperate with him, than if he was a snarling bat demon. You could explain the boots/gloves/briefs convention the same way, if you really wanted to. That brings me back to my original point: you can rationalize anything. You could come up with fine arguments for a black costume, too, but they're not legitimate, for reasons I have explained. The grey arguments aren't legitimate, either. They don't need to be. It's like I said: why can't people just admit they just prefer X or Y, and cut the crap?

You know what, as long as it doesn't stray too far from the overall look of the costume (a bat man!) then i'll be pretty happy. Although one thing i'd really love to see is them implementing the batman begins cape idea, the whole memory cloth thing, no more bat glider, a quick jump and electric charge and whoosh batman flying across the gotham skyline, don't tell me that you wouldn't love to see what some artists would do with that idea. Very cool.

yea i thought that would be one thing id like to see brought in from the movies.

Myself, I'd like to see them do something new with what's already there. Like, say, this:

Make the costume more Mazzuchelli than Lee. However, if they were going to go with a more drastic makeover, something kinda like these would be cool.

Final_Batsuit.jpg

And for those 'ultra-realistic' sticklers (you know who you are):

Where the **** is that from? It's perfect.

My main concern is no bright yellow and no blue. I don't like the designs that have him with yellow. It just looks dumb. I love the gold/faded gold belt look, so they gotta keep the gold belt. It adds a subtle contrast to the suit, yet blends in superbly. And definitely no oval. It looks SO much better without the yellow oval. If they MUST bring back the oval, then I'd want it to at least be gold/faded gold like the belt so it blends in better.

Definitely keep the black and dark gray combo. Blue looks kinda odd.

Black bodysuit, no trunks. Gray utility belt. Dark blue, nearly black gloves, cape, cowl, and boots. Muted yellow oval ensignia. Chin guard intergrated on cowl. Yellow cowl lenses. Two spikes on each glove. Two toned cape, blue on outside, black on inside. Medium sized horns/ears (Adams/Aparo inspired). Pouched belt with capsules in between.

According to LITG, Alex Ross will be designing a new costume for Batman, post-Final Crisis (despite the plan to kill/replace Batman getting canned). So, I'm interested to know what people would like to see in such a costume.

It's flirting with disaster, certainly--it's going to be hard to match the classic costume, and Alex Ross' redesigns are as often lame as they are brilliant. But let's ignore that for now.

I'm sure "Bring the oval back" will be a popular comment. Personally, I strongly dislike the oval--not because it's yellow, but because it's an oval. It's just not my kind of icon. I would be interested to see a yellow circle instead of an oval, so the insignia would look like the bat-signal. My ultimate personal preference is for the plain black bat (specifically, the way Ross draws it), but a yellow/gold circle would be cool, too.

I must say, no armour plates. Oh man, am I tired of armour plates. I'm interested in seeing the suit designed to look like functioning equipment, yes, but not like armour. I'm a big fan of Batman's appearance in Red Son, Gotham by Gaslight, and other similar stories. I like costume that look functional or militarily inspired. A good example is Patriot's costume in Young Avengers.

Here's a look from Batman: The Doom That Came to Gotham that I think is pretty cool:

96560514_ca06c82d74_o.jpg

They were never going to kill or replace him. Don't change the costume, leave it alone. Why? Becuase it won't stay changed for very long.

They were never going to kill or replace him. Don't change the costume, leave it alone. Why? Becuase it won't stay changed for very long.
LITG says different, and LITG is usually on the money.

God knows red x's will strike terror into the hearts of those who commit evil.

Says different about what? Killing him?

Yes. Supposedly the original plan was for Batman to die--and become a New God--in Final Crisis, but WB put their foot down, so the plan was scrapped. Obviously the rumour may be total BS, but like I said, LITG is usually on the money.

Yes. Supposedly the original plan was for Batman to die--and become a New God--in Final Crisis, but WB put their foot down, so the plan was scrapped. Obviously the rumour may be total BS, but like I said, LITG is usually on the money.

I remember that, but there was also a interview with some guy from DC. Dave Diho or something like that. He said it was never planned that way.

I remember that, but there was also a interview with some guy from DC. Dave Diho or something like that. He said it was never planned that way.

Dan Didio. He's not going to reveal plans on an upcoming story, scrapped or not. They always lie; they have to.

Dan Didio. He's not going to reveal plans on an upcoming story, scrapped or not. They always lie; they have to.

Maybe, but I wouldn't say they always lie and I would believe him before I would any new medium.

I'd rather they go retro and use Bob Kane's original version. Have the ears look more slanted and the cape more glider-like. Keep the modern gloves and use combat boots instead. No trunks and no oval logo. A mix of black and gray (including the belt). :brucebat:

I would like to see the gray areas be black, the oval, The cowl gloves and boots be dark blue. The cowl have long ears like Bob Kane design. no outside underwear.

I would want the cape, cowl, gloves, boots, belt and emblem Black, with the the rest of the suit being a very very dark grey, with no oval around the Bat (and i would like the Bat itself to be much more like the Nolan films design of the Bat-symbol, instead of a Round-Winged Bat). I would also like the ears to be a bit more like the Bob Kane design (that suit is still one of Batman's best)

2711400x600wn1.jpg

All Black certainly seems more 'realistic' for a night-time vigilante, and it certainly has been proven to work in the movies, but I think the real reason he's been black/blue and grey all this time is the fact that an all black costume, not to mention the big black cape, tends to make the character look like an amorphous blob. The grey provides a clear visage of his body beneath that big blue cape and black itself has always been a tough color for comic-book characters, the whole reason that the blue cape and costume came up was because they had to use blue as a highlight for the black so you could see the contours of his stances, eventually having to use so much blue turned him officially blue

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"