What you didn't like about Ant-Man - Flaws/Critiques

I think the villain was a bit generic and maybe the motivation of "oh no the pym particles could be a weapon" is a bit old fashioned.
The villain was decent. I thought the scene where he kills the man in the bathroom, and literally wipes him off the floor and flushes him down the toilet was chilling. One of the better villain moments in the MCU. I think on the whole, this movie had a low key but warm feel. That these were regular people, operating just outside the big Avengers/SHIELD/Hydra playing field but still holding their own.

Peggy Carter has been in the past 3 Marvel moves. While a like the character, its time to move on. I'm pretty sure that a 60-70 year old woman would have retired from Shield by now. Not to hate, but Peggy's strong presence in the MCU is making it difficult for Sharon Carter. Peggy will also be in Civil War, playing a corpse. I'm pretty sure Marvel will find a way to shove her in another movie. Maybe Doctor Strange talks to the deceased Peggy Carter on the astral plain in his movie.

I don't like that Scott and Hope kissed. I think families should stick together. It sets a better example for a movie aimed at a young audience.

Marvel used humor again to ruin a perfectly good scene when Scott interrupted a tender moment between Hope and Hank.

The villain. Marvel needs some better villains. Darren Cross is a great actor, but could get something more than the generic "I'm evil and want to destroy you villain?"

The abandonment of the Marvel Studios Fanfare during the Marvel Studios logo yet again.

Also didn't use the shrinking variant seen in the trailer with ants engulfing the screen.

It's not even just Stane. It's Stane, Justin Hammer, and Aldrich Killian. Basically, Cross was an IM villain in an Ant Man movie.

That would be fitting in a way, since Cross was originally written in the comics (in Marvel Premiere #47) by the team who popularised Iron Man in the late 70s onwards (David Michelinie and Bob Layton).

My typical complains with Marvel movies. Forced comedy, forced relationship between a guy and a girl. Ruining moments with conedy. And the worst of it all. The villain. Again a waste of an actor on such a crap villain. He had no motivation. He just was bad for whatever reason. People aren't *******s just for whatever. He didn't seem power hungry, or wanted more money, or wanted to see the world crumble. He just was pissed off at Hank. All those make me give the movie only a 6/10

People aren't *******s just for whatever.

Yeah, they are.

I was fine with the villain. I did notice the similarities to Stane (jealousy, leading to hatred of his mentor). But he was good.

Maybe marvel should produce a villain movie to make all the villain haters happy.

Maybe marvel should produce a villain movie to make all the villain haters happy.
I was going to say Marvel should make an MCU movie in which the rich businessman is the hero instead of the villain before realising they did that in their very first movie.

Yeah, they are.

I was fine with the villain. I did notice the similarities to Stane (jealousy, leading to hatred of his mentor). But he was good.

Yeah people are *******s but that's not enough in a comic book movie. Especially with Marvels lack of great villains. I love all their movies so much but it's starting to bring the movies down. Marvel make the villains this way so the good guy always wins and shows that good always prevails. It's not bad to make the audience think that a villain is justified sometimes. It's like they're worried to show a villain like that. Other than Loki.

Also you could say Tony is an ******* but he isn't a bad guy.

Peggy Carter has been in the past 3 Marvel moves. While a like the character, its time to move on. I'm pretty sure that a 60-70 year old woman would have retired from Shield by now. Not to hate, but Peggy's strong presence in the MCU is making it difficult for Sharon Carter. Peggy will also be in Civil War, playing a corpse. I'm pretty sure Marvel will find a way to shove her in another movie. Maybe Doctor Strange talks to the deceased Peggy Carter on the astral plain in his movie.

I don't like that Scott and Hope kissed. I think families should stick together. It sets a better example for a movie aimed at a young audience.

Marvel used humor again to ruin a perfectly good scene when Scott interrupted a tender moment between Hope and Hank.

The villain. Marvel needs some better villains. Corey Stoll is a great actor, but could get something more than the generic "I'm evil and want to destroy you villain?"

Fixed.

Was not a fan of:

- Scott's crew
- That kiss between Scott and Hope, while amusing, was still a pretty stereotypical thing to happen in a superhero movie IMO. I think they work great as friends
- No Marvel Studios Fanfare (I just like it! Also think it strengthens the sense of continuity among the MCU movies)
- Didn't like how they changed the "Break into a place and steal some stuff" line to one with an expletive

Last edited:
Yeah, I wasn't a fan of Scott's crew either. They were rather boring and annoying. I found Luis incomprehensible in his ramblings, and those scenes weren't particularly funny. I also thought the early part of the film with them really slowed the movie down.

I would actually have preferred that they didn't try to rip off Hank Pym's place simply because of criminal activity. I liked the idea in the original "To Steal and Ant-Man" story where Lang felt compelled to steal the Ant-Man costume in order to rescue Dr Erica Sondheim from Darren Cross because she was being held captive, and she was the only one who could help a sick Cassie Lang who had a heart condition.

I think that would've been better if that was incorporated somehow and that Pym simply saw Lang's motives from that rather than orchestrating the whole burglary in the first place. Maybe that could've been shown in a flashback and was the thing that landed Scott in jail the first time round which brought him to Pym's attention. So maybe Scott didn't steal the Ant-Man uniform to save Sondheim but stole something else, but that landed him in jail and Pym then took notice.

[BLACKOUT]Peggy Carter has been in the past 3 Marvel moves. While a like the character, its time to move on. I'm pretty sure that a 60-70 year old woman would have retired from Shield by now. Not to hate, but Peggy's strong presence in the MCU is making it difficult for Sharon Carter. Peggy will also be in Civil War, playing a corpse. I'm pretty sure Marvel will find a way to shove her in another movie. Maybe Doctor Strange talks to the deceased Peggy Carter on the astral plain in his movie.
[/BLACKOUT]

The villain. Marvel needs some better villains. Darren Cross is a great actor, but could get something more than the generic "I'm evil and want to destroy you villain?"

Can you black out the Civil War spoilers please?

Was not a fan of:

- Scott's crew
- That kiss between Scott and Hope, while amusing, was still a pretty stereotypical thing to happen in a superhero movie IMO. I think they work great as friends
- No Marvel Studios Fanfare (I just like it! Also think it strengthens the sense of continuity among the MCU movies)
- Didn't like how they changed the "Break into a place and steal some stuff" line to one with an expletive

Why did it bother you?

-Why Hank couldn't put on the suit wasn't clear. How was he affected and is it going to happen to Scott?

-Cross going crazy because of the Pym Particles didn't make sense. The first time he shrunk was when he fought Scott.

-Cross was Loki in Obadiah Stane's clothing.

-The Product Placement. I'm normally a huge defender of product placement and I'm fine with Scott working at Baskin Robbins but did they really have to say the name like five times and reference a product? This felt like actual product placement and not just using a real store to make the film feel like real life.

Im in minority I guess. I actually thought Cross was one of the better MCU villains. I mean that's not saying much but still..

-Why Hank couldn't put on the suit wasn't clear. How was he affected and is it going to happen to Scott?

-Cross going crazy because of the Pym Particles didn't make sense. The first time he shrunk was when he fought Scott.

-Cross was Loki in Obadiah Stane's clothing.

-The Product Placement. I'm normally a huge defender of product placement and I'm fine with Scott working at Baskin Robbins but did they really have to say the name like five times and reference a product? This felt like actual product placement and not just using a real store to make the film feel like real life.

-I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure what affected him was losing his wife, not the actual shrinking.

-It was him being around the particles in general, not using them on himself. It's like working with chemicals all day for years.

-That's a fair assessment, actually.

-BR didn't bother me, I thought it was a pretty humorous joke.

Haven't seen it yet, but what does everyone think of the pace? It's 50/50, some people thought it moved well & had nice flow, whereas other people say slow?

I don't think Paul Rudd was terrible or anything but I would have preferred a different lead. He seemed out of place.

Haven't seen it yet, but what does everyone think of the pace? It's 50/50, some people thought it moved well & had nice flow, whereas other people say slow?
It felt oddly paced to me. I wouldn't say fast or slow. More choppy. That's probably to do with the editing.

The first 20 minutes to half an hour is a little on the slow side and it takes a while to get going. I could potentially see younger kids or people who aren't sure about this movie losing a bit of interest before Scott Lang tries on the Ant-Man costume for the first time. Once he does though, it kicks into another gear.

But if people aren't prepared to wait until that point, they might tune out or switch channels if watching on TV, thinking that it isn't really interesting enough. The rambling from Luis and all the other meanderings with that crew early in the film might turn them off as well.

Great movie... a couple very very minor things...

they showed the Ants holding back the hammer from Cross's gun to prevent it from firing .. but the scenes before and after, show Cross using a glock... which has no hammer... lol....

And when Scott used the ping pong paddle.. which was one of favorite scenes... shouldn't that paddle have smashed to pieces since Scott and and Cross were denting metal and cracking tiles just by falling on them? ... the continuity of the science was realllllyyyyy bad... but that's the engineer of me after watching it three times, lol....

Great film!

Last edited:
Great movie... a couple very very minor things...

they showed the Ant's holding back the hammer from Cross's gun to prevent it from firing .. but the scenes before and after, show Cross using a glock... which has no hammer... lol....

And when Scott used the ping pong paddle.. which was one of favorite scenes... shouldn't that paddle have smashed to pieces since Scott and and Cross were denting metal and cracking tiles just by falling on them? ... the continuity of the science was realllllyyyyy bad... but that's the engineer of me after watching it three times, lol....

Great film!

It's the same way that if you were to drive through a barrier in real life at high speed (eg at a parking lot), the barrier would probably slice through your window and damage your car instead of just being shattered like in films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"