What you didn't like about Guardians of the Galaxy - Flaws/Critiques

Discussion in 'Guardians of the Galaxy' started by speno94, Jul 31, 2014.

1. TheHeatKitchen Registered

That's how I felt. At first I felt like it ruined the tone and was completely out of place. But then I put a little thought into it: much like Gamora before, Ronan clearly doesn't understand dancing and what it conveys, and Peter is a big goofball, and that was his quick solution for a distraction. It clearly served its purpose. In the end, I liked it.

2. ThePowerCosmic Hyped Up

TWS had two serious/universe building after-credits scenes and one of them lead into AoU. For that reason, I think what GOTG did is fine.

3. Thoix Registered

The only thing I didn't like were the villains (Ronan and Nebula). Thanos came off much more threatening and charismatic than either of the two main villains.

4. Saitou Hajime Registered

That was the point.

5. cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

No, we didn't have six subcomponents; you're being arbitrary.
    The *actual* strategy was composed of TWO elements: the heroes who went *inside* Ronan's ship, and the ones who attacked the ship from the outside. During the course of the battle, Yondu crash-landed, and Rocket broke off a fighter wing to engage the Kree kamikazes; inside, Gamora got separated briefly from Quill, Groot and Drax when Nebula attacked her.

6. Nimoy Registered

Not many complaints, it was great! A couple of scenes went on a few seconds too long (Groot smash, dance-off) but that's nitpicking, isn't it.

But I was confused by a few minor things...why can't/doesn't Peter go back to Earth now that he's an adult? Even if just to visit his Grandpa to tell him he's alright? Maybe he has occasionally, & if so it answers my second question: where does he get all the AA batteries??

7. kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

I considered that fact but really the 2nd Winter Soldier after credits scene to me was largely a waste as it really added nothing. He saw his exhibit in the Smithsonian, big deal. The first actually set stuff up and really between the 4 scenes in the two films was really the only one that did that. I felt they should have had another one in GotG.

8. Webfoot Hero West Coaster

How was showing that Bucky is starting to piece together his past life a waste? It was probably the best spot to put something showing what happened to him after the battle in the film. He didn't fit in with the montage of the "good guys" they showed at the end of the film so the after-credits tag was perfectly fine.

9. kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

It was a waste in the sense that it really didn't show us anything we couldn't have guessed at already. Now the 1st after credits scene in TWS is something we couldn't really have guessed, to use that as an example. The 2nd one wasn't horrible or anything but it just added very little. Which for that movie was fine as could be but here we're talking about the GotG after credit scenes and there isn't any universe building going on in them which came off as a bit of a let down.

10. Webfoot Hero West Coaster

At this point, I don't think they have a clear-cut idea of where they're taking GotG 2 so having what they had there makes a bit of sense. Plus, with the movie basically being somewhat of a comedy, I could see them wanting to add a bit more comedy at the end to sort of surprise the audience expecting a world-building scene.

11. Human Torch Registered

Good questions!

The Battery one occurred to me as well as just how long can a walkman last with the near daily use Quill seemed to do.He's been using it since at least '88!

12. Sexy Magician Most Excellent

Yep the batteries got me thinking to.

13. Batmannerism Super-unknown

I'm not a particularly discerning chap, but I loved GOTG. It was everything that was great about Star Wars and Firefly combined. Generally I'm really skeptical about Marvel films, but this was awesome.

My only critiques are minor ones.

1. The Score = very generic, great use of songs, but the score itself was very forgettable. A great score can make a great movie into a stellar one.
    A lot of film scores these days are very vanilla, but I feel like a movie this exciting and enjoyable needed something a little more. The Groot motif was recognizable, but reminded me of something else (which I can't put my finger on right now).

2. Ronan's thugs, also very generic, very much in the stormtrooper mold. Would have been nice if they were a little more distinctive - but that's not a big problem, most sci-fi films have hordes of undifferntiated goons, so again no biggie.

Otherwise, terrific movie. Saw it twice and enjoyed it just as much the second time.

14. The Endless WE are Groot

Yea, the score itself wasn't memorable. I think it was great to have an actual soundtrack though. And for the most part, it was used really well and added to the film instead of being superfluous.

15. ctsketch Registered

I'm sure with all the technology in the whole galaxy he can figure out how to power a small electronic device...

16. marcvader Lurker #1

This is what I figured. He made an old tape deck on the Milano work so...

17. The Endless WE are Groot

Maybe AA batteries originated from space and were introduced to humanity by aliens?

18. marcvader Lurker #1

Yeah, aren't there some hieroglyphs of the Energizer Rabbit in the Valley of the Kings?

19. ATuttle Registered

For what it's worth, after pretty much hating my first viewing, I saw it a second time and enjoyed it very much. All my previous complaints still stand, but I just threw them out the window and watched it for what it was rather than for the film I wished it to be and found I had fun.

20. Whiskey Tango Registered

Minor writing quibble:

Drax's inability to understand metaphor was great, but if it's going to be his thing, it should be his and no one elses. Gamora's "Who put the sticks up their butts?" was redundant and weakened the entire shtick.

21. PunyGod Astronomer

#271 PunyGod, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  22. PunyGod Astronomer

#272 PunyGod, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  23. marcvader Lurker #1

Oh, those orange headphone muffs on the Walkmans were notorious for wearing out inside of a year of use so i do call BS on that. I hope they address this in the sequel with at least some throw away comment or else they'll really lose credibility with me.

24. Human Torch Registered

Yeah,I've never had a walkman last longer than a year.

25. Asharad Registered

:pal:

:lmao: