Guardians of the Galaxy What you didn't like about Guardians of the Galaxy - Flaws/Critiques

Yeah, once Quill explained why he was dancing, I accepted the scene. But I was definitely confused for its entirety.

That's how I felt. At first I felt like it ruined the tone and was completely out of place. But then I put a little thought into it: much like Gamora before, Ronan clearly doesn't understand dancing and what it conveys, and Peter is a big goofball, and that was his quick solution for a distraction. It clearly served its purpose. In the end, I liked it.

I think Avenger's model did it best. You can have 2 with one for universe building and one for simple fan service or a joke. This had 2 and both were jokes.

TWS had two serious/universe building after-credits scenes and one of them lead into AoU. For that reason, I think what GOTG did is fine.

The only thing I didn't like were the villains (Ronan and Nebula). Thanos came off much more threatening and charismatic than either of the two main villains.

A criticism from my original review in the user review thread:

Originally Posted by DA_Champion
a loud climax that is hard to follow and full of cross-cuts between the actions of the different characters. To continue on the Star Wars analogy preferred by GoTG director James Gunn, Red Letter Media once pointed out that A New Hope had 1 climax sequence, The Empire Strikes Back had 2, The Return of the Jedi had 3, and The Phantom Menace has 4. Within the climax of GoTG, we have the actions of Peter and company chasing Ronan, Gamorah fighting Nebula, the fighters navigating an air battle, the ground command of Xandar, that of Rocket Racoon, and that of the bounty hunters, so it's a climax sequence divided into ***SIX*** parallel narrative subcomponents, that's pretty bad.

No, we didn't have six subcomponents; you're being arbitrary.
The *actual* strategy was composed of TWO elements: the heroes who went *inside* Ronan's ship, and the ones who attacked the ship from the outside. During the course of the battle, Yondu crash-landed, and Rocket broke off a fighter wing to engage the Kree kamikazes; inside, Gamora got separated briefly from Quill, Groot and Drax when Nebula attacked her.

Not many complaints, it was great! A couple of scenes went on a few seconds too long (Groot smash, dance-off) but that's nitpicking, isn't it.

But I was confused by a few minor things...why can't/doesn't Peter go back to Earth now that he's an adult? Even if just to visit his Grandpa to tell him he's alright? Maybe he has occasionally, & if so it answers my second question: where does he get all the AA batteries??

TWS had two serious/universe building after-credits scenes and one of them lead into AoU. For that reason, I think what GOTG did is fine.

I considered that fact but really the 2nd Winter Soldier after credits scene to me was largely a waste as it really added nothing. He saw his exhibit in the Smithsonian, big deal. The first actually set stuff up and really between the 4 scenes in the two films was really the only one that did that. I felt they should have had another one in GotG.

I considered that fact but really the 2nd Winter Soldier after credits scene to me was largely a waste as it really added nothing. He saw his exhibit in the Smithsonian, big deal. The first actually set stuff up and really between the 4 scenes in the two films was really the only one that did that. I felt they should have had another one in GotG.
How was showing that Bucky is starting to piece together his past life a waste? It was probably the best spot to put something showing what happened to him after the battle in the film. He didn't fit in with the montage of the "good guys" they showed at the end of the film so the after-credits tag was perfectly fine.

How was showing that Bucky is starting to piece together his past life a waste? It was probably the best spot to put something showing what happened to him after the battle in the film. He didn't fit in with the montage of the "good guys" they showed at the end of the film so the after-credits tag was perfectly fine.

It was a waste in the sense that it really didn't show us anything we couldn't have guessed at already. Now the 1st after credits scene in TWS is something we couldn't really have guessed, to use that as an example. The 2nd one wasn't horrible or anything but it just added very little. Which for that movie was fine as could be but here we're talking about the GotG after credit scenes and there isn't any universe building going on in them which came off as a bit of a let down.

It was a waste in the sense that it really didn't show us anything we couldn't have guessed at already. Now the 1st after credits scene in TWS is something we couldn't really have guessed, to use that as an example. The 2nd one wasn't horrible or anything but it just added very little. Which for that movie was fine as could be but here we're talking about the GotG after credit scenes and there isn't any universe building going on in them which came off as a bit of a let down.
At this point, I don't think they have a clear-cut idea of where they're taking GotG 2 so having what they had there makes a bit of sense. Plus, with the movie basically being somewhat of a comedy, I could see them wanting to add a bit more comedy at the end to sort of surprise the audience expecting a world-building scene.

Not many complaints, it was great! A couple of scenes went on a few seconds too long (Groot smash, dance-off) but that's nitpicking, isn't it.

But I was confused by a few minor things...why can't/doesn't Peter go back to Earth now that he's an adult? Even if just to visit his Grandpa to tell him he's alright? Maybe he has occasionally, & if so it answers my second question: where does he get all the AA batteries??

Good questions!

The Battery one occurred to me as well as just how long can a walkman last with the near daily use Quill seemed to do.He's been using it since at least '88!

Yep the batteries got me thinking to.

I'm not a particularly discerning chap, but I loved GOTG. It was everything that was great about Star Wars and Firefly combined. Generally I'm really skeptical about Marvel films, but this was awesome.

My only critiques are minor ones.

1. The Score = very generic, great use of songs, but the score itself was very forgettable. A great score can make a great movie into a stellar one.
A lot of film scores these days are very vanilla, but I feel like a movie this exciting and enjoyable needed something a little more. The Groot motif was recognizable, but reminded me of something else (which I can't put my finger on right now).

2. Ronan's thugs, also very generic, very much in the stormtrooper mold. Would have been nice if they were a little more distinctive - but that's not a big problem, most sci-fi films have hordes of undifferntiated goons, so again no biggie.

Otherwise, terrific movie. Saw it twice and enjoyed it just as much the second time.

Yea, the score itself wasn't memorable. I think it was great to have an actual soundtrack though. And for the most part, it was used really well and added to the film instead of being superfluous.

Good questions!

The Battery one occurred to me as well as just how long can a walkman last with the near daily use Quill seemed to do.He's been using it since at least '88!

I'm sure with all the technology in the whole galaxy he can figure out how to power a small electronic device...

I'm sure with all the technology in the whole galaxy he can figure out how to power a small electronic device...
This is what I figured. He made an old tape deck on the Milano work so...

Maybe AA batteries originated from space and were introduced to humanity by aliens?

For what it's worth, after pretty much hating my first viewing, I saw it a second time and enjoyed it very much. All my previous complaints still stand, but I just threw them out the window and watched it for what it was rather than for the film I wished it to be and found I had fun.

Minor writing quibble:

Drax's inability to understand metaphor was great, but if it's going to be his thing, it should be his and no one elses. Gamora's "Who put the sticks up their butts?" was redundant and weakened the entire shtick.

The bigger issue is that the tape would have worn out years ago. So would the player for that matter. And the headphone muffs..
Oh, those orange headphone muffs on the Walkmans were notorious for wearing out inside of a year of use so i do call BS on that. I hope they address this in the sequel with at least some throw away comment or else they'll really lose credibility with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"