What's your latest read?

Batman: White Knight & Curse of The White Knight

loved them both.

Dark Nights Metal.

A tad confusing and convoluted, but pretty cool. I want to read Death Metal but have no clue where to start after Metal.
I absolutely loved the White Knight books. I really didn’t care for Metal, but Death Metal has been very enjoyable. I think you could probably just pick up with Death Metal #1. It might be a good idea to read heroes in crisis and Flash Forward beforehand just to get up to speed with what’s going on with Wally West. I didn’t read any of Snyder’s Justice League run, but I’m not feeling lost at all.

Death of Superman is important and I like Jurgens, but it’s not a great comic imo. (The animated movie is great, however. But it’s screenplay was written by Peter Tomasi.)

I’d recommend Strange Apparitions, Tower of Babel, Judas Contract, Birth of the Demon and Son of the Demon for great Batman stories with the tone of Death in the Family.

I’d also recommend Birthright, All Star Superman, Up Up and Away, and Up
In the Sky as great Superman stories.

Been reading a lot of the old Jack Cole Plastic Man stories from the forties. I love it. Every side character is either a busty dame or a fast-talking gangster, and every location is either a smoky nightclub or an abandoned warehouse.

The stories themselves are light, breezy and invariably uncomplicated. It's a very comedic spin on the typical sort of pulp crime fiction that was probably in vogue at the time. And Plastic Man is kind of worlds away from the wacky eccentric he would later become famous for being, instead serving the put upon straight-man to Woozy Winks' bumbling idiocy.

I also find that Plastic Man's creative and unpredictable use of his powers, which has perhaps gotten just a little bit lost somewhere down the line of the character's history, somehow manages to tap into that highly coveted dopamine rush. :funny:

I just read Mark Waid’s All Flash #1. I’d never read it before. I have to say, it was impeccably written, but Wally’s action at the end where he
Slowed Inertia down to where he moves at an infinitely slow speed (it takes him a hundred years just to blink his eyes) but letting his consciousness remain at regular speed
Is really diabolical. Actually to the point of being sick. Essentially
Inertia is doomed to live for an eternity in a state of paralysis as a living statue on display at the Flash museum. That’s a horror show right there.
. It’s especially wicked when you consider that Inertia is really just a kid.

I just read Mark Waid’s All Flash #1. I’d never read it before. I have to say, it was impeccably written, but Wally’s action at the end where he
Slowed Inertia down to where he moves at an infinitely slow speed (it takes him a hundred years just to blink his eyes) but letting his consciousness remain at regular speed
Is really diabolical. Actually to the point of being sick. Essentially
Inertia is doomed to live for an eternity in a state of paralysis as a living statue on display at the Flash museum. That’s a horror show right there.
. It’s especially wicked when you consider that Inertia is really just a kid.
Wow. :csad:

I just finished Red Hood and the Outlaws #50. What a beautiful read. Scott Lobdell may have all kinds of skeletons and may be a horrible jerk, but that title was my favorite in the Rebirth era and I’m going to miss that team. And if it was going out, that was a tremendous story to go out on.

Today, in preparation for a seemingly more righteous Riddler in The Batman, I read Matt Wagner's one-shot comic Batman: Riddler and the Riddle Factory. I was enjoying it well enough until those last few pages where it inexplicably made the Riddler into a low rent parody of Hans Gruber.

They actually had Batman and the Riddler delivering dialogue that was lifted directly from Die Hard. Like, quoted almost verbatim. It sounds pretty sweet until you actually read it. I enjoyed it for the most part, but those last few pages really cheapened the whole experience for me.

It actually had the effect of retroactively making the plot itself feel like a wholesale rip-off of Die Hard, what with the Riddler's pseudo-political terrorism actually being a front for his true goal of stealing a large fortune from under the police's noses. Overall I'm not sure how to feel about it. :funny:

Last edited:
Finished Doomsday Clock Part 2, which collects issues 7 - 12 of the 12 issue miniseries.
Dr Manhattan has taken an interest in the DC Universe. For years he's been rewriting histories, changing heroes' fates... but why? He abandoned his own world to meddle in this one, without a hint of an explanation.

Now Ozymandias, the Comedian, and a new Rorschach have all followed his trail to Gotham City, With the pieces all on the board, it's Dr Manhattan's move. Only one force in the DC Universe could possibly stand against the man who was once Jon Osterman, But when the two titans face off, will superman destroy Dr Manhattan, or will Dr Manhattan destroy everything?

In my review of pt 1 I mentioned that I'd heard the original publication struggled with delays, and that I could see the story would benefit from being read straight through. So, I reread pt 1 before starting pt 2 (fortunately - I found I'd forgotten quite a bit!).

There's still an undeniable kick in seeing characters from Watchmen interacting with those of the DCU. The connections with/callbacks to the original Watchmen are pretty cool, again helped by supplementary materials (probably my favourite parts of the whole thing). The story itself is entertaining enough. However...

I wish Geoff Johns had written as Geoff Johns, not as Geoff Johns trying to be Alan Moore. It doesn't work. It sounds false. I'm not Johns' biggest fan, but he can normally string an impressive phrase or two together. Here, he's reaching for something he'll never grasp. It jarred enough in pt 1, but for some reason I found it a big distraction here. I've seen Doomsday Clock described as reading like fan-fiction. I get that.

I've mentioned previously that the pacing in pt 1 is slow; here it's all over the place. It's like watching a movie that every now and then someone 'fast-forwards' for ten seconds.

Were last-minute changes made to this? I get the feeling they intended going in one direction, then suddenly had to change course.

Most annoyingly (possibly connected to my last point), the 'drop-off' in relation to certain characters. After pt 1 I was expecting the Comedian to play a major part... but he didn't. Joker, after the big build-up in pt 1? Disappeared pretty quickly. Mime and Marionette, featured so heavily in part 1? Didn't really do a lot. Okay, without spoiling, it's hinted that something involving them may play a part in things further down the line. But that's not the point; pt 1 built them up as major characters in this story; then pt 2 did next to nothing with them.

Happily, Gary Frank's artwork is as great as in pt 1. Layouts, characters, backdrops, everything, just beautiful.

Whilst pt 1 felt like a build-up to a main event, pt 2 didn't deliver the epic I was hoping for. I don't know how much impact Doomsday Clock had on the wider DCU. I'm a trade waiter, and with what we've had going on this year, I'm sure I'm further behind than usual.

When I reviewed pt1 back in February I wrote, 'I've long thought that if there was a further story to be told - one that did the original [Watchmen] justice - I'd like to see it. So, is this that story?'

The answer's no. Combining Watchmen with the DCU was a big step; being 'entertaining enough' doesn't cut it.

7/10

@Babillygunn As promised, my thoughts on second part of Doomsday Clock (sorry it took me so long).

Last edited:
I wish Geoff Johns had written as Geoff Johns, not as Geoff Johns trying to be Alan Moore. It doesn't work. It sounds false. I'm not Johns' biggest fan, but he can normally string an impressive phrase or two together. Here, he's reaching for something he'll never grasp. It jarred enough in pt 1, but for some reason I found it a big distraction here. I've seen Doomsday Clock described as reading like fan-fiction. I get that.
Great review, as always. I didn’t really like Doomsday Clock at all. And I couldn’t quite put my finger on why, but the above statement really resonates. I usually do like Johns. I like his stuff a lot. Infinite Crisis is my favorite crisis book. I love Forever Evil, Throne of Atlantis and Sinestro Corps War. I’ve indoctrinated my son to the point that he refers to Geoff Johns as “Midas” because it seems like everything he touches is gold. But Doomsday Clock was different. I wouldn’t even say that it felt like Johns doing an Alan Moore imitation. It felt like Geoff Johns imitating Zack Snyder imitating Alan Moore (with a dash of Tom King prose writing thrown in.)

To me, the concept worked. I liked the Superman vs Dr Manhattan relationship. I also liked Marionette and Mime. In many ways Marionette is what Punchline should be. It really is the writing that lets everything down.

Great review, as always. I didn’t really like Doomsday Clock at all. And I couldn’t quite put my finger on why, but the above statement really resonates. I usually do like Johns. I like his stuff a lot. Infinite Crisis is my favorite crisis book. I love Forever Evil, Throne of Atlantis and Sinestro Corps War. I’ve indoctrinated my son to the point that he refers to Geoff Johns as “Midas” because it seems like everything he touches is gold. But Doomsday Clock was different. I wouldn’t even say that it felt like Johns doing an Alan Moore imitation. It felt like Geoff Johns imitating Zack Snyder imitating Alan Moore (with a dash of Tom King prose writing thrown in.)

To me, the concept worked. I liked the Superman vs Dr Manhattan relationship. I also liked Marionette and Mime. In many ways Marionette is what Punchline should be. It really is the writing that lets everything down.
Thanks.

Yes, although I'm not generally a fan of Johns, I do agree that Infinite Crisis and Throne of Atlantis are excellent. It's interesting you mentioning Zack Snyder; although I like him, as I was writing that review a parallel did strike me between Johns trying to sound like Moore but lacking substance, and Snyder taking 'cool bits' from comics - but missing substance.

And yes, Marionette and Mime are two characters that I think have lots of potential :up:

Just finished the trade Supergirl: Infectious, which collects Supergirl #34 - 42 and Supergirl Annual #2.
After spending months on the outer edges of the universe, Supergirl is finally back on Earth - and everything has changed. One of her closet friends is dead.Another she believed to be dead has returned. And she herself is in the crosshairs of three of the most powerful villains the world has ever seen. The seemingly all-powerful force called Leviathan, which has enlisted Supergirl as an unwitting pawn in its conspiracy to form a new world order; Krypton's old nemesis, Brainiac, who needs Supergirl to complete his latest nefarious plot; and deadliest of all, the Batman Who Laughs, who has unleashed his Infected upon the world - and Kara is among them!

Can Supergirl resist the onslaught of these unstoppable villains? or will she succumb to the sickness spreading from the Dark Multiverse and reshape the DC Universe as we know it?

Supergirl is a title I don't read a great deal of. I like Kara as a character, but a lot of her solo stuff doesn't really grab me, so most of my experience of her is from crossovers and team-ups. But, with getting hold of new stuff to read a bit of a challenge at the moment, I saw this and took a chance.

Supergirl: Infectious ties in directly with the aftermath of Dark Nights: Metal, with several of Earth's heroes (Hawkman, Shazam, Blue Beetle, Donna Troy, even Jim Gordon!) having been infected through a virus by the Batman Who Laughs, and transformed into Dark versions of themselves. When Supergirl stumbles across Superman and Batman fighting the fallen heroes, her brave attempt to prevent Superman from becoming infected ends with her being infected herself.

What follows from then on is pretty much a repeat cycle:
  • Supergirl revels in her 'liberation'
  • Supergirl does (or tries to do) pretty bad things, whilst convincing herself that they're actually pretty good things
  • Supergirl gets accused of being a monster, but doesn't see it
  • Supergirl has memories of happier/more innocent times
In amongst this, she has a short battle with Superman, a longer battle with Wonder Woman, and a few tête-à-têtes with the Batman Who Laughs (who may or may not be really there) - none of which seem to actually accomplish anything or move the plot forward in any way. We go from scene to scene, but the overall story feels like it's 'marking time', marching on the spot. The general premise of 'Supergirl gone bad' isn't exactly new, and this doesn't do anything new with it. On top of that, more than once as one chapter finishes with an obvious build-up to something big, the next chapter starts having completely bypassed whatever that 'something big' was! I get that these events are tied into other comics (Event Leviathan and Year of the Villain, apparently) which I haven't had a chance to read yet, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating (it wouldn't be quite so bad if there was at something on the cover at least to indicate that, but there's nothing).

The writing is by Jody Houser, Marc Andreyko, and Robert Vendetti, none of whom really stand out above the others (which really surprises me with Vendetti; the last thing of his I read was Hawkman: Awakening, which he did a fantastic job on). Art is by Eduardo Pansica (pretty good), Rachel Stott (okay), Inaki Miranda (meh), and Laura Braga (poor).

The affection I have for Kara as a character doesn't rescue this.

5.5/10

Just finished reading Batman: Year Two and its sequel, Batman: Full Circle, for the umpteenth time. There's a lot I don't like, but the Reaper is a cool villain, and the whole idea of Gotham having had this nut-job as it's previous 'protector' is interesting. I liked the 'Joe Chill's son' storyline too. If it had been originally presented as an Elseworlds tale (which I guess now it technically is) I'm sure it would be more popular than it is. It really is hard to believe this was actually published as a 'main continuity' Batman story.

Anybody here got strong feelings either way on BYT/BFC?

Just read Superman Future State: Worlds of War and wow it was amazing. The writer definitely has a handle on who Superman is.

D607A15C-B27F-442D-B84D-BA2949FE7F18.jpeg

Strange Adventures is ridiculously good, King and Gerads' best work imo. Issue #8 in particular is one of the finest comics I've ever read (and I've read a lot of comics!) Don't sleep on this one, folks!

Just read Batman Damned. It was.. okay I guess?
The art was nice most of the time but I did not really feel the story to be honest.

Strange Adventures is ridiculously good, King and Gerads' best work imo. Issue #8 in particular is one of the finest comics I've ever read (and I've read a lot of comics!) Don't sleep on this one, folks!
I just reread Mister Miracle and have convinced myself after that reread and Omega Men that I am best suited to wait and read Tom King in one sitting. There’s just too much going on for me to remember from issue to issue. So I’m waiting on Strange Adventures and Rorschach to finish them I will read them.

And referring to Strange Adventures as their best is high praise. As far as King is concerned I guess my favorite would still be Up in the Sky, but I really loved my reread of Mister Miracle. And Omega Men was outrageously good. It made me a Kyle Rayner fan. So it’s good to hear that Strange Adventures is great as well.

Just finished reading Batman: Year Two and its sequel, Batman: Full Circle, for the umpteenth time. There's a lot I don't like, but the Reaper is a cool villain, and the whole idea of Gotham having had this nut-job as it's previous 'protector' is interesting. I liked the 'Joe Chill's son' storyline too. If it had been originally presented as an Elseworlds tale (which I guess now it technically is) I'm sure it would be more popular than it is. It really is hard to believe this was actually published as a 'main continuity' Batman story.

Anybody here got strong feelings either way on BYT/BFC?
I’ve never read Full Circle. Or at least not that I remember. I liked Year Two’s art. In the early 90s I loved McFarlane’s Spider-Man work, so I was obviously excited to see his Batman work.

I think Year Two has the disservice of so closely resembling Mask of the Phantasm, with MotP being generally superior in all respects.

Well I've never read Year Two, but it is in one of the collections I just won on Ebay so I will chime in with my thoughts on it in due time, lol.

I’ve never read Full Circle. Or at least not that I remember. I liked Year Two’s art. In the early 90s I loved McFarlane’s Spider-Man work, so I was obviously excited to see his Batman work.

I think Year Two has the disservice of so closely resembling Mask of the Phantasm, with MotP being generally superior in all respects.
Yes, I think the Phantasm character was based on the Reaper (who I absolutely agree was better), wasn't it? I have to be honest, it was a few years before I managed to read Full Circle. I couldn't find a copy anywhere. Eventually I got hold of it second-hand. It's quite an interesting story (I won't spoil, just in case!). I liked McFarlane's art in chapters two and three of Year Two, where he had an inker. Not so much chapter four, which he inked himself.

I remember enjoying Full Circle a bit because of Alan Davis' artwork. Haven't read it or Year Two in a while though. That said, the issues of Detective Comics that lead into Year Two by Mike O'Barr and Alan Davis are some of my favorite all-time Batman comics. They feel like a bronze-age holdover while still being Post-Crisis and acknowledging Year One. There's a great two-part Joker story, and the Detectice Comics Anniversary oversized issue, and "My Beginning...and Probable End" in #574 is one of the greats. This batch of issues also shows that Jason Todd could be a great character until Jim Starlin went "Nope!" Its just a shame that Alan Davis didn't stay in longer.

I just reread Mister Miracle and have convinced myself after that reread and Omega Men that I am best suited to wait and read Tom King in one sitting. There’s just too much going on for me to remember from issue to issue. So I’m waiting on Strange Adventures and Rorschach to finish them I will read them.

And referring to Strange Adventures as their best is high praise. As far as King is concerned I guess my favorite would still be Up in the Sky, but I really loved my reread of Mister Miracle. And Omega Men was outrageously good. It made me a Kyle Rayner fan. So it’s good to hear that Strange Adventures is great as well.

His best work with artist Mitch Gerads, I mean. They've worked together several times before, most notably on Batman (five issues in total) and Mister Miracle. There's a Swamp Thing-centric story as well as psychedelic tale featuring Professor Pyg in particular that I just love from the former; their BatCat stuff was pretty solid as well. But if we're speaking to King's DC output in general, I'm not sure where I'd rank Strange Adventures just yet. For what it's worth, though, his narrative technique here is a lot more straightforward and palatable than what you might've come to expect from him as a writer. Oh yeah! It'd be remiss of me not to tell you that Evan "Doc" Shaner is co-artist on the book as well! Mitch is just... better. lol

Sigh, I still haven't finished Up in the Sky. I really need to get on that!

Green Lantern Earth One Book One. I really enjoyed this one.
Story and dialogue was good, art was great and the whole aestethic of it was very "Alien"-like and I loved the design of the Manhunters.
Funny thing though, at the back of the book there is this one-page recap of the entire story and it mentions that
Kilowog dies during the final battle, which he doesn't.
Struck me as a bit odd.
And this book (hardcover) was super tight, like I literally had to pry the covers open and I was afraid to even go past 90degrees while reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"