What's your latest read?

@Milk Tray Guy, thanks for the review. I’ve never actually finished The Sandman. I have started it and made it through the first volume. It is just very overwhelming and I haven’t been committed enough to finish it. I still have it on my list.
:up: It was definitely a daunting prospect. As I said, I'd put it off for a long time. But in the end I decided all I could do was to take it one volume at a time, and not buy the next till I'd finished the one I was on (if I'd had them all waiting in a pile I'm not sure I'd have made it to the end!)

:up: It was definitely a daunting prospect. As I said, I'd put it off for a long time. But in the end I decided all I could do was to take it one volume at a time, and not buy the next till I'd finished the one I was on (if I'd had them all waiting in a pile I'm not sure I'd have made it to the end!)

Interesting. I have had all of the volumes for years and could never finish. Left off at vol 7.

I think it might vol 6 actually. Its the “Shakespeare” one.
The one where they put on a production of A Midsummer Night's Dream? That was Vol 3 (sorry!!!)

Edit: On flipping through I remember that I did find that story a bit of a slog, so I can understand it being a stopping point. I easily preferred the cat story and the Death story in that volume. Most of the stories I liked actually centred around characters other than Dream. Not that I didn't like him, but on the whole I found the stories about other characters more interesting. Took me about three years to get through the whole thing so it didn't dawn on me at the time. But looking back now, definitely.

Last edited:
The one where they put on a production of A Midsummer Night's Dream? That was Vol 3 (sorry!!!)

Edit: On flipping through I remember that I did find that story a bit of a slog, so I can understand it being a stopping point. I easily preferred the cat story and the Death story in that volume. Most of the stories I liked actually centred around characters other than Dream. Not that I didn't like him, but on the whole I found the stories about other characters more interesting. Took me about three years to get through the whole thing so it didn't dawn on me at the time. But looking back now, definitely.

I must be mixing things up then. I know it’s either vol

I dug it up, it was vol 6. I must have just mixed things up. Its been so long since I’ve read Sandman. I’m a bit motivated to get back into it now.

You guys are cracking me up.

Sandman to me is like marathons. I’m a runner and I run at least one or two half marathons every year. But I haven’t run a full Marathon in the past decade. I know I should, and in theory I want to. But I don’t want to take the time and energy, even though I know it’s very worth while. That’s exactly how I’ve felt about reading Sandman. Certainly worth while, but I lack the initiative to put the time into it.

I have the first 6 volumes and volume 12 (that I found at a book sale for a dollar) of Sandman.

I bought volume 1 in high school and gradually picked up the others. But I've never made it past volume 3. I get sidetracked every time.

I think I've read Preludes & Nocturne about 5 or 6 times with the intent of plowing through the volumes I have but I inevitably get distracted by something else.

One day. ::Shakes fist::

I’m halfway through with Sinestro Corps War and I’m remembering that I’m not a huge Green Lantern fan. That’s why it’s always been hard to finish.

Have to admit I'm not a big GL fan either. Don't mind the Lanterns as part of the League, but otherwise they leave me pretty cold.

Oh I've been a big Lantern fan and even bigger when G.Johns took over.I think the stories are qite great. But this way of treating the lanterns goes on until after Blackest Night. Maybe you should not read further then because it's like amplifying then. Sinestro take center stage too.

Aaand back on topic : Hellboy, the troll witch. Coooooool.

Oh I've been a big Lantern fan and even bigger when G.Johns took over.I think the stories are qite great. But this way of treating the lanterns goes on until after Blackest Night. Maybe you should not read further then because it's like amplifying then. Sinestro take center stage too.

Aaand back on topic : Hellboy, the troll witch. Coooooool.
I was actually quite surprised at how much I ended up liking Sinestro Corps War. I can get overwhelmed by there being so many lanterns, but once they focused primarily on the Earth lanterns and Sodom Yat, it really benefitted. The third Act was really strong.

it definitely helped that Superboy Prime was front and center. He’s probably my all time favorite DC villain.

I was actually quite surprised at how much I ended up liking Sinestro Corps War. I can get overwhelmed by there being so many lanterns, but once they focused primarily on the Earth lanterns and Sodom Yat, it really benefitted. The third Act was really strong.

it definitely helped that Superboy Prime was front and center. He’s probably my all time favorite DC villain.

One of my all-time favorites. I’m a big GL mark.

Is Sinestro Corps War collected BBG? If so, can it be read without having to read stuff beforehand for it to make sense?

Your mention of Superboy Prime has me interested (I remember we discussed our like for the character a while back).

Is Sinestro Corps War collected BBG? If so, can it be read without having to read stuff beforehand for it to make sense?

Your mention of Superboy Prime has me interested (I remember we discussed our like for the character a while back).
I’m not quite sure how it is collected. I read it digitally off of the DC Universe app. Since new comics are on hold, that’s how I’ve been reading 100% of my stuff, which has been nice because I’m reading a lot of stuff that I’ve put off before because I was on the fence before. It really is a treasure trove.

I actually felt Superboy Prime really shined (or is it shone?) in Sinestro Corps War. I was surprised but I think it is my favorite that he has been written. It’s fun to see him so layered. He’s equal parts over-powered being, impetuous child, gruesomely cruel, and yet also sympathetic. Having him contrasted with someone like Sinestro really brings out the dichotomy. One panel will have Sinestro waxing eloquent in a monologue, then Superboy Prime will swoop in thereafter and address the Justice Society by saying “hey there, jerks!” It reminds you that he’s ultimately immature. Johns also gives you enough insight into his point of view that you understand him almost to the point of rooting for him. But then he does something that reminds you that he’s really warped by hatred and completely disregards life. Plus it has one of my favorite moments: where he uses his heat vision to sear in a change to Bart Allen’s tombstone epitaph to read “dumbest boy dead” instead of “fastest man alive”.

Okay, thanks. And...
Plus it has one of my favorite moments: where he uses his heat vision to sear in a change to Bart Allen’s tombstone epitaph to read “dumbest boy dead” instead of “fastest man alive”.
:funny:

Batman: The Last Knight on Earth.

Loved it.

Batman: The Last Knight on Earth.

Loved it.
I’m curious, what did you love about it? I’m wondering if there’s something I’m missing. Personally, this was typical Scott Snyder to me and that’s not a good thing. I just don’t see what people see in his work (aside from frequent collaborations with Capullo, whose art is wonderful and whom I like as a person.) Aside from Court of Owls and Black Mirror, I really don’t see the allure. But I’d like to know what it is that I am missing that other people seem to love.

I guess I've always enjoyed Scott Snyder's work, most Batman comics I end up getting he has written. I did let a friend borrow Last Knight on Earth, and he is a fan of SC, but he said he hasn't been crazy about it. So, I don't know. I don't read a whole lot of Batman comics, aside from the big stories (Killing Joke/Hush/Dark Knight Returns) I'm probably not the best person to ask about Batman comics lol!

Just read Green Lantern: Mosaic #1-9

Not sure why these stories never ended up in a TPB, but they're interesting.

Just read Green Lantern: Mosaic #1-9

Not sure why these stories never ended up in a TPB, but they're interesting.
It does surprise me sometimes which stories have never been collected. I was looking through some of my comics the other day and came across the five part Green Arrow/Detective Comics/Robin/Nightwing crossover Brotherhood of the Fist, from July/August '98. Never collected :shrug: I've got all five parts, but I'd love it in a trade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"