What's your religion ???

My father was a Catholic and my mother is protestant.

I'm nothing but a skeptic who listens to all sides of the argument and tries to be respectful to their views.

For now I'm pretty much an Agnostic Nihilist with some slight Objectivist tendancies.

We should have another option asking those that say the are not religious, but claim to follow Christ and get that number too alone from the agnostics and atheists on here.

Actually...there is already a thread for athiesm.

^From what? Something you can't prove even exists?

Woah. Eye opening. I, along with every other religious person in the world, MUST change our worldview. Your wisdom... it's too much. Seriously though, if you're not religious, why do you feel the need to poo on others? Why do you feel the need to even go into a thread with a subject you don't care about or believe in? I've always thought that atheists would care the least about trying to "convert" others, but I have been proven wrong time and time again. It seems atheists are the MOST militant, at least where I live. I've never even heard (in real life that is, obviously tons of news reports) of a Christian so obsessed with bashing atheists, yet I see atheists all the time bashing the religious.

Anywho....

Christian/Buddhist. Misconception: You don't have to worship Buddha or believe in reincarnation in all forms of Buddhism. I became a Christian when I was about 7 years old. I have become stronger and more educated in my faith since then. I have always been interested in the pagan religions (mostly Greek, Roman, and Egyptian, but the past couple years I've read of Assyrian, Babylonian, Persian, Japanese). Growing up, all my friends were Catholic or Christian, but now I'm the only Christian in my immediate group of friends, the rest are atheist and one agnostic. My family is all Christian, and as far as I know my entire extended family is too. I adopted Buddhism as a secondary religion in college, because I realized that some forms of it won't interfere with Christianity, and I take it as more of a philosophy.

Recently, I got a Quran and read a bit of it so far. Pretty interesting. I also own the Book of Mormon. I am not a Mormon or a Muslim, though; I am just a very curious person when it comes to religion, history, and anthropology.

One question to fellow followers of the three main Abrahamic religions: When Moses threw down his staff in the pharoh's court, it became a snake. The pharoh's magicians threw down theirs, and they became snakes as well. It doesn't make sense to me that God would allow Pharoh's people to use this magic. My opinion is that it was either Satan/demons, or the gods from pagan religions (in this case, probably Egyptian, although they all shared gods anyway). Now, these gods could be considered demons in some peoples' eyes. What is your opinion? How did Pharoh's magicians do that? Was it Satan? Was it pagan gods? Or maybe it was God afterall (Moses' staff-snake did end up eating the others)

You know what...if I suspect many gods up there, am I pagan?

Yes, should be so. A pagan is someone who is polytheistic. Although pagan is sometimes used with a negative connotation, I do not mean it as such. Its original meaning is just someone who believes in multiple gods.

Ok. I don't read much on this, but Is Allah and Christian God one and same? I view them as separate Gods. To be honest...it makes sense to me of many Gods cause who made the Christian God? I doubt "one" God just came to be.

It's so surreal to read your old posts. My views have evolved since I posted here.

Woah. Eye opening. I, along with every other religious person in the world, MUST change our worldview. Your wisdom... it's too much. Seriously though, if you're not religious, why do you feel the need to poo on others? Why do you feel the need to even go into a thread with a subject you don't care about or believe in? I've always thought that atheists would care the least about trying to "convert" others, but I have been proven wrong time and time again. It seems atheists are the MOST militant, at least where I live. I've never even heard (in real life that is, obviously tons of news reports) of a Christian so obsessed with bashing atheists, yet I see atheists all the time bashing the religious.

In America, I find Christians to be MUCH more militant than atheists are in the pursuits and in trying to change politics in their favor, especially evangelicals. If you don't see any Christian bashing of atheism much, turn on Fox News and sit and listen to their religious matters, it can be heard 24/7. I poo on others to keep them thinking about their own positions and constantly to keep making themselves reevaluate the idea of belief in the supernatural to see the flaws that are just assumed and not question. Half the time they won't do it on their own.

In America, I find Christians to be MUCH more militant than atheists are in the pursuits and in trying to change politics in their favor, especially evangelicals. If you don't see any Christian bashing of atheism much, turn on Fox News and sit and listen to their religious matters, it can be heard 24/7. I poo on others to keep them thinking about their own positions and constantly to keep making themselves reevaluate the idea of belief in the supernatural to see the flaws that are just assumed and not question. Half the time they won't do it on their own.

But this thread is not for the bashing of people who have religious beliefs. I deleted several of your inflammatory posts you recently made. This thread is not for attempting to debunk religion. It was started by someone that wanted to know what religious beliefs the Hypsters had...not for saying they are wrong.

I'm Catholic, but I don't agree with some of the things they believe.
Such as confession.
I don't need to go through a person to ask for forgiveness from God.

Reminds me of an old Dennis Miller joke:

"I go into the confessional, and went to the priest, 'Okay, you first.'"

Is there any particular reason why the "No Religion" selection is so obnoxious?

Edit: Thanks to whoever changed it.

Last edited:
Here's the funny thing about me. I believe in a religion that can best be described as Christianity, but I don't belong to any specific church.

I was a Muslim when this thread first started and I'm still one.

Was christened as a baby, and went to a CofE school were bible stories were told in assemblies and the lords prayer said every morning.

My mum doesn't like labels, but she has always believed in God and some form of heaven and a soul.

When I was about 10 my mum got involved with a little christian spiritualist church, which I used to go along too and get readings from mediums. I've been again in later life but cannot see it through the eyes of anything but a skeptic.

I spent my teens reading a lot about paganism and wicca, even getting involved with a coven. We used to do rituals on solstaces and I even used a spell to get rid of my acne (which involved washing your face in salt water - the 'magic' part was just a bit of chanting in front of a mirror :hehe:).

Also had a bit of interest in Thelema's basic principals of following the soul's true path, and being free to do whatever it takes to do that as long as it doesn't hurt anyone.

Beyond that, considered myself agnostic mostly.

That was generally due to my own instincts. If I lost something important, I'd instinctually pray to God that I find it. And because of stuff like that, I thought 'well I do kind of believe in him then'.

But I've recently come to realise that 'instinct' is just social conditioning. Like a form of brainwashing that I just can't shake.

It doesn't mean I believe in God. Because I really really don't. It just means it's hard for me to completely severe things that are engrained in me from such a young age.

I now consider myself an atheist, and I believe there is no God.

I find religion absolutely fascinating and have many religious friends.

My best friend converted to Islam a few years ago and married her husband (also an English Muslim convert). I completely do not understand her beliefs, and have my doubts that she is actually being honest with herself about them - but I will always be supportive. I even filled in for her father at the wedding (as a heavy Roman Catholic, he didn't approve).

I even wrote my dissertation for my journalism degree on the following subject: 'How the negative depiciton of Islam in the media since 9/11 has effected public opinion of the faith', which was a big eye opener about accepting the information we are fed on face value.

I have recently been back in contact with my Dad who is an atheist buddhism (buddhist monk actually) and I have found I agree with a lot of his philosophies and would like to look further into the practice of buddhism.

But I will never understand theistic belief. It seems so illogical to me.

There's your problem right there, no one should ever watch Fox News. As a Baptist pastor I find Fox News very offensive in that they claim Christian beliefs while not actually following them. Frankly, they make us all look bad.

Ok. I don't read much on this, but Is Allah and Christian God one and same? I view them as separate Gods.
Well, Allahs not part of a trinity, so he (and the Jewish God) are not the same as the Christian God.

Ok. I don't read much on this, but Is Allah and Christian God one and same? I view them as separate Gods. To be honest...it makes sense to me of many Gods cause who made the Christian God? I doubt "one" God just came to be.

The Abrahamic deity, God/YHWH/Allah, is the God that is seen in Christian, Jewish and Muslim religions. But they are different interpretations of the same deity. For Jews, YHWH is singular and will send the Messiah. For Christians God is both singular and a trinity, in The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit. For Muslims God is singular again, and Jesus, Mohammed, Adam etc were Prophets.

Their God never "came to be" he just was, he is infinite, no beginning, no end.

I don't buy that. .......A God can't just pop out of no where IMO. I view Christian God and Jesus as two people, two Gods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"