What's your religion ???

I'm an atheist. But wow am I surprised at the results of this poll. 30 atheists. that's way different from the proportions present in society. In America we make up less than 5% of the country and less than 15% of people under the age of 35.

worldwide though I think we are the fourth or fifth largest group now.

http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

Man we are growing in large numbers fast. Just two years ago we were the fourth biggest and now were the third.

1. Christianity: 2.1 billion
  2. Islam: 1.3 billion
  3. Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion
  4. Hinduism: 900 million
  5. Chinese traditional religion: 394 million
  6. Buddhism: 376 million
  7. primal-indigenous: 300 million
  8. African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million
  9. Sikhism: 23 million
  10. Juche: 19 million
  11. Spiritism: 15 million
  12. Judaism: 14 million
  13. Baha'i: 7 million
  14. Jainism: 4.2 million
  15. Shinto: 4 million
  16. Cao Dai: 4 million
  17. Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million
  18. Tenrikyo: 2 million
  19. Neo-Paganism: 1 million
  20. Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand
  21. Rastafarianism: 600 thousand
  22. Scientology: 500 thousand

It had to happen, so I'll start of with a poll...which religion do you guys practice?

Oh boy. Here we go.

johnny_carson_as_karnak_feature.jpg

In this thread's future.... I see flame wars that go on for pages.... and people not accepting beliefs that are different from their own...

I respect all beliefs, no matter what. What people do is up to them, but hey...there's plenty of threads out there that have flaming for pages and pages... let's try to make this a flame-free thread and openly discuss our beliefs. :yay:

Oh boy. Here we go.

johnny_carson_as_karnak_feature.jpg

In this thread's future.... I see flame wars that go on for pages.... and people not accepting beliefs that are different from their own...
:funny:

Well, that's the way these things have gone in the past, but if the atheism topic can exist for so long without exploding, then I think this topic might deserve another chance.

Also, there's really no need for any huge debates about whether there is or isn't a God here, since those could be carried out in the atheism topic. I seem to remember that being a big source of the arguments in the previous topics.

I am an atheist by belief, a Jew by birth. I'm sure someone somewhere finds that offensive for God knows what reasons. I tend to shy away from discussing religion much more than I do even politics, because for something that's supposed to be borne out of love it brings out the worst hate and prejudice in some people.

Personally speaking, I don't care what people believe, as long as they don't care what I believe. But the moment they try to convert me or tell me I'm wrong and I'm going to hell, that's the moment I shut that person out in the rudest and most dismissive way possible.

I'm an atheist, but I belong to a mainline Protestant Christian church, and go there every Sunday. Go figure.

I think all Religion is f**ked in some way but I don't mind Buddhism. I was raised Christian though and I still go to church occasionally. It's relaxing sometimes despite the lack of magic it holds nowadays hahah.

I am an atheist by belief, a Jew by birth. I'm sure someone somewhere finds that offensive for God knows what reasons. I tend to shy away from discussing religion much more than I do even politics, because for something that's supposed to be borne out of love it brings out the worst hate and prejudice in some people.

Personally speaking, I don't care what people believe, as long as they don't care what I believe. But the moment they try to convert me or tell me I'm wrong and I'm going to hell, that's the moment I shut that person out in the rudest and most dismissive way possible.

Those Evangelicals...:cmad: They make Christianity look stupid :( No one will go to hell, we all deserve a second chance. There's plenty of proof for religion anyway...but I won't start shoving stuff into peoples face.

Atheist or "Temporary Agnostic in Practice".

Those Evangelicals...:cmad: They make Christianity look stupid :( No one will go to hell, we all deserve a second chance. There's plenty of proof for religion anyway...but I won't start shoving stuff into peoples face.

No one--dude, people go to hell. Not all, but clearing some deserve to. Hitler..Stalin...etc. Granted if they had the guts to do that hail mary forgive my sins prayer...

I don't believe there's a magical man in the sky who cares about what we do, or whether two men can get married or not. I believe Jesus was just a Jewish guy with no superpowers trying to point out corruption and hypocrisy in his own faith. But the lessons of Christianity are still valuable, whether I believe that the people in the Bible ever existed or not, or whether what the extremist Christians choose to believe are right or wrong.

Superman isn't real, but I'm sure we can all learn a thing or two from his actions. I guess Christianity to me is like those PSAs that came at the end of the GI Joe cartoons: Duke and Flint aren't real, but it's still useful to know you're not supposed to touch downed wires on the street.

No one--dude, people go to hell. Not all, but clearing some deserve to. Hitler..Stalin...etc. Granted if they had the guts to do that hail mary forgive my sins prayer...

Yes, good correction. If Hitler was to go to Heaven, he would have had to spend a HELL of a long time in Purgatory for what he had done to the world.

Threads on decade-old forums are a bit like comicbook storylines. Eventually everything's been done before... or several times.

A digression, but I like looking at ancient threads. It's like going back in time.

The feeling of nostalgia. :yay:

What do you mean by "second chance"? Second chance about what? :huh:

Regardless of religion or not, everyone should read the Bible as it is the basis of so much of the culture and history of western civilization.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"