When the Wrestling Thread Got the Answers, HE Changed the Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just dread the idea that ten years from now, it's quite possible that we'll be talking about guys like Austin, Michaels, and Bret Hart the way we are now talking about Savage, Dusty, and Piper.

Of course, it's clear that The Rock will live to be at least 100 years old, so I'll be dead before he is.

This is going to be a long post so bear with me. I'm heartbroken right now since I was supposed to meet him again next weekend.

You do not throw rocks at a man with a machine gun!

Sooner or later, everybody pays the Piper!

Just when they think they got the answers, I change the questions!

I came here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum.

I was rowdy before rowdy was cool!

No retreat! No surrender!

Quotes to live by. I didn't know Roddy Piper personally, but I felt like I did ever since I first saw him at Wrestlemania III jogging down the long aisle. I grew up watching the guy. He was a spitfire, just so full of energy, you couldn't help, but be enthralled by Hot Rod. As a heel, you wanted to see him get his ass kicked and as a babyface, you wanted to see him kick ass.

He truly was larger than life and if it wasn't for him and Hogan, the WWE wouldn't be where it is now. The charismatic patriot against the Scotsman with attitude. Like Batman and Joker, its like these two were destined to battle forever. It was the feud of its time that led the way to Wrestlemania.

11231033_10205077057433992_5701299891979922239_n.jpg

He had a way with words on the mic and that got him to become IMO the greatest trash talker in pro wrestling history. The Piper's Pit segments were always entertaining and even if the matches weren't great, he had you excited for his upcoming battles against Hogan, Valentine, Savage, Rude, Hart, Lawler, Goldust, Flair, and Duncan MacLeod. He made you believe kayfabe!

11781670_10205077056233962_3298198028407369832_n.jpg

For so many years, I wanted to meet this man then I finally got my chance in 2011 following the CAC awards. And he blew me away during our encounter. Keep in mind, it took me 22 years to have this opportunity and he treated me like an old friend he hadn't seen in years! I couldn't believe how kind this wrestling legend was!

After some small talk where he told me his favorite match was against Adonis at Wrestlemania III, I asked for a picture with him also asking him not to apply full force since I heard horror stories of him making fans pass out. He was snug anyway. I should've known better, but it was totally worth it as it would be for any fan of his.

11013022_10205077055473943_8989792999949206904_n.jpg

It was a great honor that night in Las Vegas, but fast forward to last year in San Diego.

After Tommy Dreamer's House Of Hardcore show ended, Piper came out to do Piper's Pit (we gave him a loud "Thank you, Piper!" chant that he was touched by) with his guests: Zeus, Matt Striker, Terry Funk, and Don Frye in front of a bunch of fans for an hour, which sounded like a great idea, but then the fans went into business for themselves. The first couple of chants were funny, but after that, they just hijacked the show. I felt bad for Piper. He could barely get a sentence out due to some of the fans being attention seeking assh*les! He signed my copy of his book after his Podcast recording was over.

The following morning, Roddy Piper was at the VIP breakfast, the final event for the 3 day convention, and he remembered me when I brought up the submission pose we did at CAC a few years ago. He then gave me a hug. We talked about the Piper's Pit broadcast from last night and he wasn't happy with it because of the rude fans and was thinking about not using it, but I told him to keep it since he had a great line-up of guests (thankfully, he heeded my advice and uploaded it a few months later after some excellent editing skills).

His limo then arrived and he had to go, but I had one final request on behalf of all his fans out there: to pose with the missing crown jewel of his career. "Yeah! Let's do it.", he said enthusiastically. It was the highlight of my trip!

11813523_10205077060234062_2303268066704185354_n.jpg

And that my friends was my final memory of him. After getting in The Grim Reaper's face yesterday, he said to him
My name's Roddy Piper and you ain't seen nothing yet!

[YT]GYKUMEltG88[/YT]

Last edited:

His limo then arrived and he had to go, but I had one final request on behalf of all his fans out there: to pose with the missing crown jewel of his career. "Yeah! Let's do it.", he said enthusiastically. It was the highlight of my trip!

11813523_10205077060234062_2303268066704185354_n.jpg

]

Wonderful story, Slushy, and you're completely right in that he should have held that title at least once.

Go with God, "Rowdy" Roddy.

:csad:

RIP Hot Rod.

Thank you for being a part of my childhood. Nobody hurled insults and oozed bravado like you.

I just dread the idea that ten years from now, it's quite possible that we'll be talking about guys like Austin, Michaels, and Bret Hart the way we are now talking about Savage, Dusty, and Piper.

Of course, it's clear that The Rock will live to be at least 100 years old, so I'll be dead before he is.

:huh:

Um, Austin is in the best shape of his life. HBK looks like he lives pretty clean. Despite Bret's stroke having a permanent effect on his speech, it's not like he's in terrible shape.

There's a difference between the guys from that era and the guys from the previous one.

RIP Rowdy Roddy Piper. Losing some good ones this year :csad:

Ronda Rousey dedicated her fight tonight to Piper.

Piper's promo skills are one of the reasons I fell in love with wrestling. And I intend to carry on that tradition in his spirit in my own career, be it long and grand or short and bland.

:huh:

Um, Austin is in the best shape of his life. HBK looks like he lives pretty clean. Despite Bret's stroke having a permanent effect on his speech, it's not like he's in terrible shape.

There's a difference between the guys from that era and the guys from the previous one.

I more just meant guys from their era. Also, there's really no telling what effects things like steroid (if they did them) or the loads of pills (HBK definitely did those) could have on their long term health.

Granted, I should've used someone more obvious like Scott Hall.

Some great Piper promos

My favorite thing Piper ever did. Not just the match, but the glorious promo beforehand.

voCi6Tx.jpg

I never thought I would be around to see the day that we'd lose Roddy... that fantastic voice and master of the mic has been silenced... bagpipes will be playing when he passes St. Peter on his way in... remembering how he was, he'll probably kick the gates down and talk up one helluva storm...

RIP Roddy Piper... you ARE the Hot Rod and the Rowdy one... give 'em hell, man...

I grew up watching Piper take on Hollywood Hogan and the nWo on WCW in the mid-nineties. Those were truly the glory days of wrestling. It's never been the same since.

very sad to hear about the passing of roddy piper
growing up he was one of my all time favourites

My Mom got me a VHS tape in 1993 that had four WrestleMania matches. The matches were Steamboat vs Savage, Hogan vs Andre, Hart vs Piper, and The Steiners vs The Headshrinkers; I imagine I saw Piper at some point during 1991-1992 because my first clear wrestling memory was watching WrestleMania 7, but that tape was my first vivid memory of watching Piper.

Well, apparently Dana White called Wrestling "fake" which angered many wrestlers.....

So didn't he call CM Punk a world class athlete when he signed with the UFC? That makes no sense if he calls wrestling fake.

Last edited:
MMA guys are petty jackasses who can't stand that many connect pro wrestling to MMA. Joe Rogen is so brain-dead that he assumes all wrestling fans think wrestling is a shoot. UFC guys fail to understand that hardcore pro wrestling fans don't care that wrestling is a show. Why in the blue hell is calling wrestling fake even used to as an insult anymore? Just say WWE has a mediocre show with bad writing. Just as insulting, yet actually appropriate in the current era.

Last edited:
Well, many of the MMA guys come from Boxing, a sport in which if it wasn't for Floyd "Ray Rice of Combat Sports" Mayweather or (before the loss to Mayweather) Manny Pacquiao, would be very irrelevant.

I mean seriously, who the hell are the current heavyweight champions in boxing anymore? It used to be Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield, Buster Douglas, Riddick Bowe and Lennox Lewis in the 1990's and early 2000's. Before that it was Muhammad Ali, Joe Frasier and George Foreman.

MMA guys are petty jackasses who can't stand that many connect pro wrestling to MMA. Joe Rogan is so brain-dead that he assumes all wrestling fans think wrestling is a shoot. UFC guys fail to understand that hardcore pro wrestling fans don't care that wrestling is a show. Why in the blue hell is calling wrestling fake even used to as an insult anymore? Just say WWE has a mediocre show with bad writing. Just as insulting, yet actually appropriate in the current era.

From what I have seen, a lot of the time, actual MMA fighters are often fans or former fans of pro wrestling. Hell, so many guys in Pride were both wrestlers and shoot fighters. I believe Josh Barnett still does both, but I could be wrong about his wrestling career. Chael Sonnen is a wrestling fan and even went to the WCW Power Plant.

It's generally insecure MMA fans who never actually competed in any physical sport who get all fussy about it. Don't know why Dana White took a shot a it, considering he signed CM Punk and kisses The Rock's ass all the time.

Yeah Donnie, I know. It's just Dana and Joe who like to run their mouths all the time, and they are two of the biggest spokesmen for MMA. I just don't get why they need to do that as a fan of both wrestling and MMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"