Where does most of TDK's critisism come from?

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight' started by Rolf, Mar 15, 2009.

?

Where does most TDK's negative feedback come from?

1. People who hate Batman.

2. People who hate Heath Ledger.

3. Purists.

4. Burton fans.

5. Kids.

6. Eyecandy seekers.

7. unsophisticatists.

8. Hollywood elitists.

9. People who think realism is boring.

10. People who think it’s conservative. (Controversial)

11. People who think all superhero movies should follow the same format.

12. It makes people feel special.

13. Other.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

The color palette of the new film just looks more vibrant and reminds me more of the Raimi films. More daytime action in NYC, the big lenses, it all just feels more comic booky. It feels like a huge contrast from the first film, which is fine. Webb understandably wants to keep things fresh for himself and the audience.

There was a recent quote from Hugh Jackman about how Nolan shared with him that when he first saw the first X-Men film, he thought, "Dammit...someone beat me to the punch." (re: doing a more "realism" based superhero film).

The point isn't that Nolan invented any of this stuff, but I feel like every era has it's culturally defining blockbusters that really capture the zeitgeist and you can feel the ripple effect of that in other movies, sometimes in small ways, sometimes in big ways. It's like fashion. Things go in and out of style, but usually there's something that sparks that and makes it cool.

That is until it's "not cool anymore", which is kind of the phase we're entering now and why every studio currently seems to be chasing Marvel's model for their superhero properties.

But, when you have guys like Mendes and Abrams flat out talking about TDK in reference to their own movies, when you have Jon Favreau specifically talking about BB in reference to how he approached Iron Man then yeah...it's fair to say there's been some influence.

I think an unfortunate side effect of TDKT's popularity is that you have more "Zimmer clone" scores than ever now, and that's even if you leave out the overuse of the "Inception horn" in trailers and stuff.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  2. milost

milost Well-Known Member

Well it doesn't help when Zimmer is scoring them all now. :funny: I thought it was so odd when he was announced for ASM2. Batman, Superman, Batman and Superman, Spider-Man now too?

I don't know about other people, but I'm sort of burned out by these superhero/comic book films. I mean, I'll always be there for Batman, but even that feels like it's been burnt out. It's not a Marvel or DC thing either, but all of them as a whole. After Guardians in the Galaxy and phase 2 wraps up, it's like "what else is there"? It just feels like too much to me. Part of me was really pumped about Batman vs. Superman, I've wanted to see that depiction on film. Now that other comic book characters are being shoved into it on a whim now, I don't know.

I feel comic book movies out. I got my Batman, 7 fold. I got Superman 6 fold. Spider-Man 5 fold. So many iterations of Wolverine, er, I mean the X-Men. I saw the likes of Iron Man, I experienced a well planned team up franchise with Marvel's Avengers. Cap is getting the recognition he deserves. The unfilmmable graphic novels like Watchmen have happened. I don't know. I know I won't get any sympathy on a message board like this where Hype is key, but I just feel like, "eh, whatever".

3. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

I'm kind of feeling burnt out too. I keep asking myself when the "bubble" is going to burst and when the superhero genre is going to fall out of favor with the mainstream. Cause in 2008, I thought "man so many superhero movies coming out this year, it's gonna get oversaturated". Then I thought the same thing in 2012. Then again last year. But it just seems to keep getting bigger and bigger.

I think basically, the day Marvel releases a huge bomb, or has to recast RDJ or something is when things may start taking a downturn. I feel like there has to be a point where these things just start becoming less profitable because the cow has been milked beyond dry and people are exhausted. I really don't know. At the moment it seems like the genre is pretty secure for at least the next 5-6 years.

On the plus side, there seems to be a lot of original sci-fi coming out these days, and Star Wars is coming back too. So we'll have options.

4. shauner111

shauner111 Well-Known Member

Dude, i feel the same. Im getting burnt out. The only thing that excites me is the Batman angle. Because i feel like ive never seen that Batman, that suit, the age, the different version of Grayson, Jeremy f'n Irons (come on now!), the drones in Gotham, the sci-fi/3D Batman. It's cool. But the rest of it? It's been moving too fast, and the ideas are running out. Once this decade ends, i just dont know what else there is to do. At least with Batman i still have some ideas like a disturbing horror Batman with monsters and freaks.

5. I Am The Knight

I Am The Knight Infinity

There was a lot of people who complained about the ASM suit because it was "ugly" and "too dark" even though it wasn't dark, at all. So we get a more traditional suit. Webb seems to be a fan of Ultimate Spider-Man, so we get big lenses.

Yup, TDK influence t's pretty obvious in Skyfall. I just haven't seen that reflected in actual comic book movies though. Nothing compares to TDK in the comic book movie landscape. But yeah, I can see some BB influence in a couple of Marvel movies.

Now, BB's certainly made it seem like rebooting was the key to reviving dead franchises in any genre.

6. Astro13Zombie

Astro13Zombie Well-Known Member

I can't believe the results of the poll
    34 votes for "It makes people feel special."
    [​IMG]

7. Travesty

Travesty Well-Known Member

8. Rorschach2012

Rorschach2012 I'll Cancel the Pizzas

My only problem with the Nolan series is that i think he overdid the realism, so i voted for the realism option. But most of the time, people that hate on TDK are doing it because TDK is so universally loved.

9. EssayM

EssayM Just A Guy

I don't hate TDK, but I do think it would've been stronger if it was purely focused on the Batman/Joker relationship, instead of trying to cram in Two-Face's origin and that boring love triangle.

10. Two-Face=Badass

Two-Face=Badass Well-Known Member

I agree with that. I also dislike that they gave Joker magical somehow-knows-the-future-and-can-put-bombs-everywhere powers.

Moreover, I think that it suffers from only having one major female character, who is both pretty flat and then dies, leaving the final act to be a bit of a sausage fest. One of the things TDKR was better at was actually having interesting and engaging female characters.

11. Oscorp

Oscorp Well-Known Member

TDK is my favourite CBM but even I have some criticism about it:

The film relies way too heavily on chance and luck for things to work.

The Joker is the best CBM villain so far, but I still prefer Mark Hamill's/the animated version. The Joker should have been funnier in a twisted way.

The Bat voice is pretty terrible.

Rachel is such an unlikeable character for me that her death didn't affect me in the slightest. I was actually reliefed that she was gone.

The Harvey Dent story about his fall was awesome, but I still feel that Two-Face should have done more before he died. I also missed some of his double personality stuff. I'd have liked a scene of him doubting his actions and then quickly convince himself or something.

I prefer the look of Gotham in Batman Begins.

Other than that, it's an almost perfect CBM for me.

12. Adder

Adder Well-Known Member

CATWS > TDK. You know it to be true.

13. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

[​IMG]

14. The Endless

The Endless WE are Groot

It has better action scenes, dialogue and pacing plus Captain America doesn't actively suck in it ;)

Although i think the overall story, specifically Dent's, plus Joker elevates TDK above TWS, but not by much.

15. Travesty

Travesty Well-Known Member

I agree. I liked it a lot more than TDK.

16. Harry Dresden

Harry Dresden Well-Known Member

It's the hipsters. It's always the damn hipsters. :lips:

17. Bullseye1

Bullseye1 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Just love that movie.