Which actors could you see as the next Bond?

I wonder if John LeCarre would be interested in helping out with the screenplay?

There are a lot of urban legends regarding who Ian Fleming wanted to play Bond, so I'm not sure what to believe anymore. I've heard Roger Moore, Christopher Lee, and David Niven as being the main names that are usually mentioned in terms of who Fleming wanted. Lee probably makes the most sense given his relation to Fleming and his real life work in espionage.

There are a lot of urban legends regarding who Ian Fleming wanted to play Bond, so I'm not sure what to believe anymore. I've heard Roger Moore, Christopher Lee, and David Niven as being the main names that are usually mentioned in terms of who Fleming wanted. Lee probably makes the most sense given his relation to Fleming and his real life work in espionage.

It's hard for me to picture Christopher Lee in sex scenes.

There was that scene in You Only Live Twice where Bond and Kissy talk about how David Niven was the only decent man in Hollywood :hmm

I still really like Dan Stevens for the role. He is handsome and charismatic, yet also can have the look of an ice cold killer.

Tom Hiddleston is a fantastic actor who can be dashing yet dangerous.

Henry Cavill is completely wasted as Snyder's miserable and cynical version of Superman. He can be charming with that great smile of his... but he's also got a steely look to him, kind of like Dalton actually.

Yes, Cavill would be good, just google his stratton and sand castle set images, he can look hard as nails.

Turner is my top choice, i have a soft spot for Cavill cos he has been the nearly man so many times, but i feel he would do it justice, no pun intended

Just for another tidbit of information, I stopped in the the Wizard World Comic Con , and happen to see Tom Hiddleston going to his area for photos/autographs. He looks wiry thin to be Bond. I guess he could bulk up in the gym.

It's easy to pack on weight when it's your job. If Hiddleston signs that contract, he'll be more than big enough by the first day of production.

I just see a bad guy when i see Hiddleston, but that's just me.

To think both could play Bond

ox281281535013050582.jpg

"[Richard] Todd was Ian Fleming's first choice to play James Bond in Dr No (1962), but a scheduling clash gave the role to Sean Connery."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obi...ies/film-obituaries/6725717/Richard-Todd.html

I still really like Dan Stevens for the role. He is handsome and charismatic, yet also can have the look of an ice cold killer.

Tom Hiddleston is a fantastic actor who can be dashing yet dangerous.

Henry Cavill is completely wasted as Snyder's miserable and cynical version of Superman. He can be charming with that great smile of his... but he's also got a steely look to him, kind of like Dalton actually.

Yeah, I'd be fine with any of these guys. I think they could each pull off an interesting Bond.

Not to be too rude but so far a lot of these casting suggestions seem for playing the Bond of past generations not how Bond would operate now.

If you look at each bond, the change slightly for every era they are in eg: roger moore's psychedelic bond versus pierce brosnan's bond with a woman M who can at least talk to women without just shagging them all

It would be cool if he where any of those. There's only one thing James Bond has to be and that's British, or at the very least, Australian, I guess.

James Bond isn't just a white man. James Bond is the walking embodiment of white supremacy/hegemony and the British Empire.

• He can go anywhere in the world and be accepted.
  • Everywhere he goes he's in control or has access to anything he wants.
  • He has sex with any woman he wants regardless of where or what she is. "Bond Girls" come in all ethnicities (note how no one complains about or questions that).
  • He can be as good if not better at a thing than the person born into it or whose culture its from.
  • He operates at the behest of his country so anything he does is a representation of that country's might and strength.

James Bond IS white supremacy. Its easy for us to buy into the character because thats all we've seen for the last few hundred years. White men go anywhere in the world and do anything and be great at it. That's what European and American history consists of.. recounting tales and events of this very thing. We've been conditioned to accept this. That's why if you make that particular character a nonwhite person you can't buy it. Not just because its derivative but because a black, brown or asian man doing what that character does just isn't possible in reality or easily acceptable in fantasy.

In a story James Bond can waltz into the darkest parts of Asia, Africa or South America and barely raise an eyebrow. And even where he would stick out like a sore thumb there's ALWAYS some helper (usually female) willing to help him gain access there. No one calls bs on it because there is real life precedent for that. White men have gone all over the world and gained access to places you wouldn't think they would have been able to usually with the assistance of some native/indigenous person. There is very little real life precedent of some nonwhite person gaining access to anywhere in Europe. Or some nonwhite man coming in and big footing his way around European countries have sex with any white woman he comes across. If that did happen its not something that's freely told and made mandatory info we need to know.

Bond stories can take place anywhere but usually happen in Europe, does anyone really believe a black Bond is going skulking around some classified facility in Germany or Finland or Russia and people just NOT notice the black guy no matter how fluent in the language he is?? And even with a helper its hard to believe that some nonwhite person would gain access to any country in Europe or any foreign country really. It would stretch our suspension of disbelief too far. Which is messed up because that means we could easier believe a white man can fly than believe a black/brown or Asian man can gain access to a villain's nuclear facility in East Germany. If Bond were to become nonwhite the basis of the story and world he operates in would need to be changed.

Consider Black Panther. Most white superheroes come from places that if they have a fictional name are just stand-ins for real places, like Gotham and Metropolis are stand-ins for New York. And even if they do come from a truly fictional place like Krypton they usually don't stay there long as they spent nearly all of their time or lives in a real place. Kal El left Krypton as a baby and grew up in real world real white Kansas. Namor or Aquaman may come from some Atlantis like place under the seas but they spend much of their time in America. T'Challa comes from a place that isn't just fictional in name it has no real world basis whatsoever. At least not in the popular conscious of the public. The closest real world example for Wakanda would be Ethiopia but is it common knowledge that country was never fully colonized in African history? As far as the general public is concerned Wakanda is as fantastic and fictional as Krypton or Atlantis. And its the only way we can accept a superhero coming out of Africa.

Its the same deal for a nonwhite Bond, either we as an audience would have to ignore race as a factor or issue in this world, that the world is color blind and its perfectly acceptable for a nonwhite Bond to do the things white Bond usually does and behaves...

Or nonwhite Bond becomes some kind of allegory about race and perception and in a low-key way has to re-educate the world on the fact that nonwhite people can in fact do great and fantastic things...which kind of puts a damper on the mindless fun and adventure of the stories.

In any case a nonwhite 007 James Bond would be hard to accept for more reasons than just copying. Its the same issues if you make the character female since Bond clearly exists in a patriarchal world even tho he works for a Queen.

James Bond isn't just a white man. James Bond is the walking embodiment of white supremacy/hegemony and the British Empire.

• He can go anywhere in the world and be accepted.
  • Everywhere he goes he's in control or has access to anything he wants.
  • He has sex with any woman he wants regardless of where or what she is. "Bond Girls" come in all ethnicities (note how no one complains about or questions that).
  • He can be as good if not better at a thing than the person born into it or whose culture its from.
  • He operates at the behest of his country so anything he does is a representation of that country's might and strength.

James Bond IS white supremacy. Its easy for us to buy into the character because thats all we've seen for the last few hundred years. White men go anywhere in the world and do anything and be great at it. That's what European and American history consists of.. recounting tales and events of this very thing. We've been conditioned to accept this. That's why if you make that particular character a nonwhite person you can't buy it. Not just because its derivative but because a black, brown or asian man doing what that character does just isn't possible in reality or easily acceptable in fantasy.

In a story James Bond can waltz into the darkest parts of Asia, Africa or South America and barely raise an eyebrow. And even where he would stick out like a sore thumb there's ALWAYS some helper (usually female) willing to help him gain access there. No one calls bs on it because there is real life precedent for that. White men have gone all over the world and gained access to places you wouldn't think they would have been able to usually with the assistance of some native/indigenous person. There is very little real life precedent of some nonwhite person gaining access to anywhere in Europe. Or some nonwhite man coming in and big footing his way around European countries have sex with any white woman he comes across. If that did happen its not something that's freely told and made mandatory info we need to know.

Bond stories can take place anywhere but usually happen in Europe, does anyone really believe a black Bond is going skulking around some classified facility in Germany or Finland or Russia and people just NOT notice the black guy no matter how fluent in the language he is?? And even with a helper its hard to believe that some nonwhite person would gain access to any country in Europe or any foreign country really. It would stretch our suspension of disbelief too far. Which is messed up because that means we could easier believe a white man can fly than believe a black/brown or Asian man can gain access to a villain's nuclear facility in East Germany. If Bond were to become nonwhite the basis of the story and world he operates in would need to be changed.

Consider Black Panther. Most white superheroes come from places that if they have a fictional name are just stand-ins for real places, like Gotham and Metropolis are stand-ins for New York. And even if they do come from a truly fictional place like Krypton they usually don't stay there long as they spent nearly all of their time or lives in a real place. Kal El left Krypton as a baby and grew up in real world real white Kansas. Namor or Aquaman may come from some Atlantis like place under the seas but they spend much of their time in America. T'Challa comes from a place that isn't just fictional in name it has no real world basis whatsoever. At least not in the popular conscious of the public. The closest real world example for Wakanda would be Ethiopia but is it common knowledge that country was never fully colonized in African history? As far as the general public is concerned Wakanda is as fantastic and fictional as Krypton or Atlantis. And its the only way we can accept a superhero coming out of Africa.

Its the same deal for a nonwhite Bond, either we as an audience would have to ignore race as a factor or issue in this world, that the world is color blind and its perfectly acceptable for a nonwhite Bond to do the things white Bond usually does and behaves...

Or nonwhite Bond becomes some kind of allegory about race and perception and in a low-key way has to re-educate the world on the fact that nonwhite people can in fact do great and fantastic things...which kind of puts a damper on the mindless fun and adventure of the stories.

In any case a nonwhite 007 James Bond would be hard to accept for more reasons than just copying. Its the same issues if you make the character female since Bond clearly exists in a patriarchal world even tho he works for a Queen.

I see your point and if we were still in the 60s and 70s what you've written might stand but even in a modern age where racism still exists I don't see a MODERN interpretation of the character, if depicted as non white, would be a problem.

Bond, let's be specific, travels anywhere and everywhere without suspicion because he works for the British Government and usually uses his connections to get out of trouble again and again.

I see your point and if we were still in the 60s and 70s what you've written might stand but even in a modern age where racism still exists I don't see a MODERN interpretation of the character, if depicted as non white, would be a problem.

Bond, let's be specific, travels anywhere and everywhere without suspicion because he works for the British Government and usually uses his connections to get out of trouble again and again.

Sure Bond has clearance and connections in the story but i'm talking how he is perceived by audiences in real life vs a nonwhite person doing the same thing.

theres a reason why we haven't seen a nonwhite male superspy film coming out of hollywood.

A new leaked email written to Sony studio Michael Lynton head shows one producer saying that Denzel Washington does not do well for the company because he is black.

In the exchange, written about the Oscar winning star's recent role in the film The Equalizer, the producer says that Washington does not do well at the worldwide box office because of the color of his skin.
The producer then blames this on the racism of non-American audiences.

n the email, obtained by Radar Online, the producer 'suggested Sony should avoid casting black actors to appeal to an international market that the producer deemed racist.'
Writes the producer of Washington, 'Casting him is saying we’re ok with a double if the picture works.'
A double as opposed to a homerun.

They then add; 'He’s reliable at the domestic [box office], safe, but has not had a huge success in years. I believe whenever possible the non event pictures, extra ‘bets’ should have a large inherent upside and be made for the right price. Here there isn’t a large inherent upside.'
This despite the fact that Washington is not only one of the greatest actors of his generation, but also one of the biggest and most consistent box office stars.

Perhaps most shocking though is that this email was written about The Equalizer after the film did incredibly well overseas.
As Radar reports, 'Washington’s The Equalizer grossed $191 million at theaters worldwide, with 47% of the ticket sales coming from outside of the United States.

The producer then writes, 'I believe that the international motion picture audience is racist — in general pictures with an African American lead don’t play well overseas.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-claims-rest-world-racist.html#ixzz4BnpFnNox

that email was just 2 years ago..this is the calculation hollywood makes in determining what gets greenlit.

But if overseas audiences are racist then shouldn't they reject whites as well?? Lets say that being disinterested in seeing people who DON'T look like you is a natural reaction...its a story with asians but I'm not asian so I don't care..okay I understand that..then why is a movie with an all white cast playing in theaters in japan, taiwan, hong kong and south korea?? How many all asian cast films get wide release in the US? Over the world? None unless its Jackie Chan and thats it.

For the last near 100 years Hollywood has been all about promoting white people and whiteness more so than anything. So much so that its become the standard worldwide. Which is why you can stick any white person as the lead in any story set in any country and no one blinks but a person of color (not white) playing the lead is a problem. And sure you can have a handful of nonwhite actors who have broad appeal Will Smith, Jackie Chan, for example but thats a REAL short list.

The international audience isn't rejecting black people, they are rejecting anything thats not WHITE...and how did that happen? why is the primary languages spoken in half of africa and parts of asia, european languages? Why is SPANISH the primary language of central and south america? How did that happen? Thru imperialism, colonialism and brute force. European/white hegemony has altered in some cases the very make up of all those countries so much so that in some countries in africa and south america skin bleaching/whitening creams are still sought out in the 21st century. There are people who reject their own native language and religion for catholicism or protestantism and a history that skews toward a european flavor. They don't hate blacks they hate THEMSELVES. But just as badly theyve been CONDITIONED to love anything thats European/white.

I'm just getting to the root of why a nonwhite 007 wouldn't be accepted beyond just plain copying..even in this day and age. Sure there is some progress (not nearly fast enough for me) but theres still alot of resistance.

I can see where you are coming from, but i personally don't agree with it. Sure, there is a whiff of arrogance to Bond, but people are more interested in how he uses his charm and wit to get out of tricky situations, i mean, i don't think i have ever watched a scene and thought 'he got away with it because he is white'. I would love the oo section to be expanded and we see more characters, i have always felt that the oo7 code is just that and that Bond was never the first oo7. what if as a young recruit, oo7 was the best spy and was tragically killed, leaving a gap Bond filled and took the oo7 code name.
I don't know, i think the world still shamefully has racist people, but to say bond is white supremacy is a bit harsh.

I can see where you are coming from, but i personally don't agree with it. Sure, there is a whiff of arrogance to Bond, but people are more interested in how he uses his charm and wit to get out of tricky situations, i mean, i don't think i have ever watched a scene and thought 'he got away with it because he is white'. I would love the oo section to be expanded and we see more characters, i have always felt that the oo7 code is just that and that Bond was never the first oo7. what if as a young recruit, oo7 was the best spy and was tragically killed, leaving a gap Bond filled and took the oo7 code name.
I don't know, i think the world still shamefully has racist people, but to say bond is white supremacy is a bit harsh.
I agree that 007 should be a designation and james bond a code name that could be given to anyone who reached that level of operative in MI6..and bond is a operative not a spy...spies just gather info and come back...if bond shows up on the scene someone is going die..thats a special forces operative thats a hit man for the queen..lol...and as such anyone can do that role.

heres a thing..dr who has been on for decades...he's an alien who regenerates periodically..but so far in the history of the show has only regenerated from white male to white male..why?? why should dr who (gender neutral title) even be a male all the time?

the racial politics of how our societies function dictates how theses stories are presented.

I agree that 007 should be a designation and james bond a code name that could be given to anyone who reached that level of operative in MI6..and bond is a operative not a spy...spies just gather info and come back...if bond shows up on the scene someone is going die..thats a special forces operative thats a hit man for the queen..lol...and as such anyone can do that role.

heres a thing..dr who has been on for decades...he's an alien who regenerates periodically..but so far in the history of the show has only regenerated from white male to white male..why?? why should dr who (gender neutral title) even be a male all the time?

the racial politics of how our societies function dictates how theses stories are presented.

Don't get me wrong... just oo7 is the designation - James Bond is a real person. Tom Smith could be oo7, Sarah Hardy could be oo7 but the character James Bond is very real and i don't believe should deviate too much from those ideals. If they chose Idris Elba, so be it, as long as i watch it and see Bond.

Thing is, people identify Bond as a white male, as that's how he has been presented. It's not racist to keep it that way.

Reason why Bond has been portrayed by white actors is because each actor is a lose continuation. Only Timothy Dalton and Daniel Craig were the 'reboots' if you will. It would have been far more acceptable to change skin colour when presenting the idea of Casino Royal.

But the question i want to know is, why does the skin colour have to change? I'm not saying it shouldn't, or can't... but does it have to?

I think studios need to have faith in new material and put out new movies with great character development - a good film is a good film, regardless.

Ill bring it up again: So IS FELIX LEITER a code name too then? Hell, Connery's Bond met several Felix's and didn't flinch.

Or is it people's obsession with continuity? HMMMMMM.

Maybe both security agencies clone bonds and felixs and retrofit them for the era they're in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"