Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

Okay just checking - cause I saw you on the Age of Ultron board as well posting more negativity despite not having even seen the film.

Correction: I was pointing out that in one of the clips released, Quicksilver appeared to KO Thor. Since everyone was saying how powerful Thor is in this movie, I decided to emphasise that I would need some convincing in order to change my mind. I wasn't declaring the movie itself to be terrible without having seen it; far from it.

With an alien invasion at the end, a central , poorly explained McGuffin, spaceships, laser guns and portals. Is that enough? Oh, and enough scientific jargon to make you want to have a lobotomy.

I guess I see what you're saying, but the thought never crossed my mind. On that superficial level, sure they're similar. But the themes of the films are so different, the tone is so different, the characters are so different, that I still can't imagine TDW as a mini-Avengers.

And just a comment on the exchange above (sorry to butt in, and I'm not trying to attack you or anything): I can tell that you love the MCU because you are very passionate about it, but there seems to be just a negative tinge to a lot of your comments, which gives people the wrong impression. Everyone sees the world in a different way, and you're entitled to your worldview, but when so many of your comments are framed in such a way, it really gives the appearance that you're being intentionally negative. Were you the one who started the "Will Surtur Suck?" thread? Why not just a general Surtur thread? Or "What is the best way to do Surtur" or something like that? Again, sorry to go on like this. It really isn't my place to say anything, so if this post bothers you and you want me to delete it, let me know. No harm intended.

I guess I see what you're saying, but the thought never crossed my mind. On that superficial level, sure they're similar. But the themes of the films are so different, the tone is so different, the characters are so different, that I still can't imagine TDW as a mini-Avengers.

And just a comment on the exchange above (sorry to butt in, and I'm not trying to attack you or anything): I can tell that you love the MCU because you are very passionate about it, but there seems to be just a negative tinge to a lot of your comments, which gives people the wrong impression. Everyone sees the world in a different way, and you're entitled to your worldview, but when so many of your comments are framed in such a way, it really gives the appearance that you're being intentionally negative. Were you the one who started the "Will Surtur Suck?" thread? Why not just a general Surtur thread? Or "What is the best way to do Surtur" or something like that? Again, sorry to go on like this. It really isn't my place to say anything, so if this post bothers you and you want me to delete it, let me know. No harm intended.

seahammer, I like how you've kindly and respectfully pointed this out. We're all pretty passionate about this stuff and opinions differ of course. However, I too disliked the title of the Surtur thread. Things like that just bristle with negativity. And it is so unnecessary.

It's not like Marvel isn't trying here. I just saw a movie this weekend that featured a viking space god, a star spangled hero from the 40's, a green goliath, a man in a flying metal suit and a red, green and yellow android Vision, cape and all. A movie that was made with tremendous expense and passion. Something I never thought I'd see in my lifetime. And there's more to come. Ragnarok. Black Panther. Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet for crying out loud. As a comic fan all of this makes me extremely GRATEFUL.

Not everything Marvel does will be universally loved. That's not even possible. Realize that not everyone likes the same things. But somehow every film they have made has overall been received positively by critics and the GA despite delivering the most outlandish of concepts from the comics and bringing them to life while trying to be relevant to modern sensibilities. At times they stuck to their guns despite outside pressures - like Cap's WWII origin - and the MCU is better for it. What they've done is nothing short of amazing IMO.

And I love Thor: The Dark World. Still do. I've found people who loved it at first are now capitulating to the wellspring of negativity and apologizing for liking it but I absolutely will not. It's one of my favorite MCU films. I enjoy being in touch with my inner kid. And I hate people telling me what is funny and what isn't. I loved the humor in TDW more than GOTG. I found it to be more fun than CA:TWS.

So what if it was like mini Avengers? It's not like a lot of us weren't thinking during the Chitauri invasion: Shoot Thor could probably take out most of these guys himself. He doesn't need to be catching purse snatchers or busting crime bosses. That's what Spider-Man and Daredevil are for. I thought it was cool he got to handle a cosmic level threat all by himself. And the invasions from the two films aren't even the same. Totally different end game.

I understand people like to diss the movie. Fine. But that drum has been beaten too many times IMO. It's getting old at this point. What more is there to say? And the way Marvel utilized Thor in AOU and the comments that they've made about how important he is and their plans for his next chapter are enough for me to be very optimistic about where things are going from here.

The first Thor is the BEST MCU movie to date, in my opinion.

seahammer, I like how you've kindly and respectfully pointed this out. We're all pretty passionate about this stuff and opinions differ of course. However, I too disliked the title of the Surtur thread. Things like that just bristle with negativity. And it is so unnecessary.

It's not like Marvel isn't trying here. I just saw a movie this weekend that featured a viking space god, a star spangled hero from the 40's, a green goliath, a man in a flying metal suit and a red, green and yellow android Vision, cape and all. A movie that was made with tremendous expense and passion. Something I never thought I'd see in my lifetime. And there's more to come. Ragnarok. Black Panther. Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet for crying out loud. As a comic fan all of this makes me extremely GRATEFUL.

Not everything Marvel does will be universally loved. That's not even possible. Realize that not everyone likes the same things. But somehow every film they have made has overall been received positively by critics and the GA despite delivering the most outlandish of concepts from the comics and bringing them to life while trying to be relevant to modern sensibilities. At times they stuck to their guns despite outside pressures - like Cap's WWII origin - and the MCU is better for it. What they've done is nothing short of amazing IMO.

And I love Thor: The Dark World. Still do. I've found people who loved it at first are now capitulating to the wellspring of negativity and apologizing for liking it but I absolutely will not. It's one of my favorite MCU films. I enjoy being in touch with my inner kid. And I hate people telling me what is funny and what isn't. I loved the humor in TDW more than GOTG. I found it to be more fun than CA:TWS.

So what if it was like mini Avengers? It's not like a lot of us weren't thinking during the Chitauri invasion: Shoot Thor could probably take out most of these guys himself. He doesn't need to be catching purse snatchers or busting crime bosses. That's what Spider-Man and Daredevil are for. I thought it was cool he got to handle a cosmic level threat all by himself. And the invasions from the two films aren't even the same. Totally different end game.

I understand people like to diss the movie. Fine. But that drum has been beaten too many times IMO. It's getting old at this point. What more is there to say? And the way Marvel utilized Thor in AOU and the comments that they've made about how important he is and their plans for his next chapter are enough for me to be very optimistic about where things are going from here.

Love this post.

You're quite right about Thor 2. I definitely let the negativity of others influence my opinion far too often. While I'm still not the biggest fan of it, one cannot deny its sheer entertainment value. People often greatly exaggerate Thor 2's faults while ignoring the flaws of the more "universally accepted" MCU films. I'd be the first one to say how much I love TWS and GOTG. However its not like those movies were perfect, either. You're also right about people changing their views on TDW purely because a few vocal haters despise it. I recently watched an Honest Trailer for Any Lee's Hulk film. In it, they slipped in a snide remark about how even "Thor The Dark World looks pretty good compared to this". People now just regularly use TDW as the butt of their jokes without even questioning why. Trust me, if Civil War doesn't receive the same level of acclaim as Winter Soldier, people will start hating on the Cap franchise and the Russo's very quickly, just like they're currently doing with Thor.

Last edited:
They are doing it right now with the Avengers franchise.

Exactly. In just a matter of weeks, Joss Whedon has gone from being the darling of everyone, to being a despised and reviled monster who (apparently) knows nothing about Marvel Comics.

Last edited:
Exactly. In just a matter of weeks, Joss Whedon has gone from being the darling of everyone, to being a despised and reviled monster who knows nothing about Marvel Comics.

Yes I agree with both of you completely. I'm actually getting quite sick of so called "fans" at the moment. It's like you can't enjoy anything without it being picked apart to death. Marvel hasn't delivered a single rotten film since their inception as a movie studio and yet that's not good enough.

It's all very "what have you done for me lately". Hopefully it drives Marvel to continue to improve but nobody's perfect. The Internet will probably implode the day they actually deliver a bad film.

As far as the AOU reaction I called it before the movie was even released. I'm not even surprised honestly.

And yes if the Russos falter in any way with Civil War then the current MCU darlings will be ravaged to pieces by fans. Take that to the bank.

Yes I agree with both of you completely. I'm actually getting quite sick of so called "fans" at the moment. It's like you can't enjoy anything without it being picked apart to death. Marvel hasn't delivered a single rotten film since their inception as a movie studio and yet that's not good enough.

It's all very "what have you done for me lately". Hopefully it drives Marvel to continue to improve but nobody's perfect. The Internet will probably implode the day they actually deliver a bad film.

As far as the AOU reaction I called it before the movie was even released. I'm not even surprised honestly.

And yes if the Russos falter in any way with Civil War then the current MCU darlings will be ravaged to pieces by fans. Take that to the bank.

I have just the slightest notion that those who say that TDW, IM3, AOU etc " suck" don't realise how good we 've got it right now in terms of CBMs.

Exactly. In just a matter of weeks, Joss Whedon has gone from being the darling of everyone, to being a despised and reviled monster who (apparently) knows nothing about Marvel Comics.

to me, it says more about his detractors then him.

I have just the slightest notion that those who say that TDW, IM3, AOU etc " suck" don't realise how good we 've got it right now in terms of CBMs.

There's two sides to fandom, as with most things. It can be a great force of good where people get together and truly enjoy things, but it also fosters individuals that focus on the negatives and go on and on about that.

People are free to have their opinions but spreading negativity becomes much more egotistical than spreading joy.

Mjölnir;31382439 said:
There's two sides to fandom, as with most things. It can be a great force of good where people get together and truly enjoy things, but it also fosters individuals that focus on the negatives and go on and on about that.

People are free to have their opinions but spreading negativity becomes much more egotistical than spreading joy.

Well said.

Thor is the better movie, TDW just felt underwhelming.

I am a big fan of both, but The Dark World is better in almost every area (with the exception of Darcy and her intern).

Watched this movie today, and still like it quite a bit. Humor in the Marvel movies doesn't bother me, pick any Marvel comic off the shelf and there's humor in it, it isn't just for Spider-Man's quips. Malekith might have more development left in the editing room but upon repeat viewings there's a decent amount of depth and subtlety to the character. The scenes with Their and Loki side by side are great, and the dynamic between the two of them and Odin. The twist ending and the hints dropped in Age of Ultron really have me looking forward to the next installment.

Hard to decide which I prefer, The Dark World or the first. The first introduced to this whole new aspect of the Marvel Universe, but I love getting to see what happens after and watching the characters continue to grow through their adversity.

I prefer TDW for its setting since I think Thor comes into his own when it is based outside of earth. However as a movie, structurally, Thor 1 was better and the villain was better. I think Thor and Loki were better in part two but overall I give it to TDW by a hair. I think it is underrated and harshly criticized just because it wasn't Thor's Winter Soldier so to speak

Thor. The Dark World, in my opinion, isn't a bad movie, but it's not a very memorable one.

I preferred The Dark World. When I first saw Thor, I thought it felt like it was just Avengers set up and that it didn't really stand on its own feet well. I was let down by it, though when I watched it a 2nd time I liked it a lot more. The Dark World just really worked for me. It was exciting and interesting and didn't have that sequel slump IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"