Critics Reviews for T:TDW

Discussion in 'Thor: The Dark World' started by Rock Sexton, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Well-Known Member

Devin Faraci of BadassDigest loves the film. That tells me all I need to know, since he hate the first one so much.

2. kedrell

kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

I agree with Faraci as much as I disagree with him so anything he ever says really doesn't help me much at all. I agree with Drew McWeeny a tad more though when it comes to AICN alum. But I've never found a reviewer I can agree with more than 2/3 of the time anyway.

3. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Guest

I have to say that I laughed when I saw a reviewer on RT say "hokum for overgrown kids, accessorized with daft dialogue" about TDW, only to then see that it was the kindest words he had for a superhero movie this year. Not a big CBM fan. :woot:

4. kedrell

kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

You see to me when you get a guy like that who is clearly biased against the genre I end up wondering why he even bothered reviewing the film. Maybe he wanted to bring the RT score down, hell..I dunno. But as far as I'm concerned, if you are a paid professional reviewer you should go into every movie you see with an open mind and if you can't manage that then get another job, or at the very least recognize that bias within yourself and recuse yourself from having to do the review. Judges do it all the time when they have a conflict of interest in a case they are working on.

5. Vartha

Vartha Mod of Thunder

What I don't get a lot of the time with these so called critics is WHY they even SEE a film if they don't like the genre?

6. Mysteryman

Mysteryman Well-Known Member

I dont think that they get to choose.
    Its their job to see movies.
    They are assigned movies to see.

7. DOOZlovesBOOZ

DOOZlovesBOOZ Well-Known Member

There is so much awesomeness in this post! The reviewer should be aware of their biases and excuse themselves from the assignment. It is also partially the company's fault. They should recognize when one of their writers has showed repetitive ill-will to a genre and replace them with someone who is more objective.

8. Vartha

Vartha Mod of Thunder

like That has been mentioned above you should either excuse yourself from an assignment or at the very least make it known you aren't a fan of the genre you're about to report on.
    Like I've said, I'd rather read reviews (good and Bad) from FANS of the Genre over any Critic

9. Mysteryman

Not all film critics hate the genre
    Ebert was a fan of Superhero films for example

10. DarthSkywalker

DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

No matter the genre, these are films. Personally believe no matter the genre, films should be discussed on the basic levels of film.

11. Vartha

Vartha Mod of Thunder

Yeah I know, I didn't say they were all bad, I said MOST don't like Superhero Films. I would still rather go by what the fans say

12. DarthSkywalker

The fans, who tend to love things based on their own fandom? Isn't that just as disingenuous as one who doesn't necessarily like the genre?

13. Vartha

Vartha Mod of Thunder

Well I look at it like they KNOW about the characters or close enough to make a judgement over the film weather it's biased or not I would rather read between the lines on several fan reviews than a single critic

14. DarthSkywalker

Character is only one part of a film. How a film works on the basic levels is every bit as important when it comes to reviewing a film imo. Fan reviews dismiss these things all the time.

It is cool if they get the character right, but it the film doesn't work, that matters for me.

15. Mysteryman

If the critic is respectful to the film and fair to the character then ,I dont care if he doesnt have an encyclopedic knowledge of the comic book in question.

16. Mysteryman

Agreed .
    You said it better than I could .

17. Vartha

Vartha Mod of Thunder

That's why I read both sides of Fan reviews lol Besides in the end it's what I like in the first place, that I go and see.
    Say for instance, I've yet to see The Wolverine because I didn't have the time to this summer. I might go rent it before buying it over going by a fan's review.

18. DarthSkywalker

This is fair, but also foreign to me. I don't really use reviews to decide what I see. When it comes to reviews, I prefer the conversation on the film it starts more then anything.

19. Vartha

Vartha Mod of Thunder

Well it's basically a tool for me. If a film's in a theater, and I don't have alot of cash and it's a film people are saying it's something that needs to be seen on the big screen a few fan reviews will help me make a decision weather to spend that money or not

20. DarthSkywalker

:up:

21. balanda

balanda Active Member

Ahahah, Ebert didn't like Thor. He really didn't like Loki "Thor's brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston) is dark-haired, skinny, shifty-eyed and sadly lacking in charisma... Will you be thinking of Loki six minutes after this movie is over?"

ETA: A fun excercise is searching for Thor: TDW reviews with the phrase "Loki steals" or "Hiddleston steals", as in, the show. Critics are being extremely positive about Hiddleston, usually very positive about Hemsworth, and mixed about Portman.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  22. jonathancrane

jonathancrane I love Marvel, DC & EC!

http://www.duqsm.com/thor-the-dark-world-on-verge-of-perfection-but-falls-short/

While I listed my fan-review in the proceeding thread, as a professional critic, here is my review. Unlike my brethren, I loved T: TDW, because of its rich cinematic influences.

23. Senator Pleasury

Senator Pleasury Well-Known Member

Loki's best performance by far, IMO, was in Thor 1. Ebert, for all his popularity, couldn't have been more wrong, but saw him trying to be.

24. Desiak

Desiak Heroic Review