Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

Thanks for the welcome! :woot:

Yeah, I see your point of view. Your explanation makes good sense considering Loki's powers. Still, it isn't certain. I'm just slightly frustrated that the movie plot (which isn't really subtle in other respects: the Dark Elves' motives and all-out attack, the humor, etc) requires me to make so much inference regarding so important a point as what really happened to Loki and Odin.

I wish it were a little more clarified, hahah, these aren't TV episodes where I can deal with waiting a while for the next. It'll be some years before Thor 3 comes out. I guess I'm a bit impatient to know what happened xD

All in all, TDW is pretty awesome. And to be clear, I'm not complaining that Loki didn't die - I think it's way more fun that he lives.

I agree MissStreelight. I'm a HUGE Thor fan and Thor 3 is going to be a long wait. Thankfully Age of Ultron is just around the corner.

As far as the Loki/Odin resolution, I've heard Hopkins talk about filming Thor 3. Odin is too big of a character in the Thor mythos. There's absolutely no way that story line gets the off screen treatment.

And I'm very happy that Loki will stick around to work his mischief in the Marvel Universe. The chemistry between Hemsworth and Hiddleston is fantastic and their relationship is at the heart of Thor's story. Loki took sort of an anti-hero turn in this film. He now needs to return to straight up villainy.

Marvel also needs to remember who the hero is here. Thor is the protagonist and his relationships with his family, Midgard, the Avengers, Sif, the Warriors Three, Jane and characters still yet to be revealed like Amora, Beta Ray Bill and Hercules all provide a rich tapestry of storylines from which to draw his characterization.

Marvel has some really good writers working on the next installment so I'm very optimistic. (RIP Don Payne the original script writer for this film and the first has passed away).

I'd have to give it to Thor 2. I recently rewatched Thor, a movie I greatly enjoy, but there are parts of it that are clearly inferior to anything in phase 2. You can tell they were still finding their footing in a lot of ways.
However it's still a good film, but I have to give the edge to the sequel.

I think now that there are new writers there could be a change of tone for Thor 3 compared to the first two movies.

Thor: The Dark World. Yes it isn't the most ambitious MCU outing to date, but I really enjoyed this movie and had a lot of fun. I loved the fact that Asgard was shown more.

Watched the first two Thor films last night and I still prefer the 1st one. The 2nd one is better when it comes to scale and action sequences but I felt like the 1st one was more of a personal journey for Thor.

Thor 1 is still one of my favourite MCU movies, only behind TWS and TA (though I wont be seeing GOTG until next week), its still great, unfortunately this makes the sequel all the more disappointing.

I'm not sure if I already posted here, but if I didn't, my vote goes to Thor: The Dark World.

As much as I enjoyed the first Thor, its sequel surpasses it in nearly every way possible, and also even surpasses The Avengers.

P.S.: If I did already post here, consider this a reiteration of my vote.

Very surprising poll results, I think Thor 2 is arguably the worst DCU movie so far, either Thor 2 or Iron Man 3. I thought both were pretty bad actually. Thor 1 is one of the better MCU movies, I'd probably rank it behind The Avengers and Iron Man 1, basically on about the same level of both Captain America movies, which are about equal to me. I think Thor 1 is much, much better than Thor 2.

^Agreed, and in fairness the poll was done when TDW had just come out, so it was bound to win, I think the results now if the poll was re-done would be very different.

For me, it's still more or less the same. I love both films tremendously but I'd probably lean more towards TDW....mainly because it shows a more mature & experienced Thor and I love the addition of the Dark Elves. In general, I felt like TDW branched out a bit more on what all Norse mythology has to offer.

Still, both are great entries, imo, and both are among my top favorites from the MCU as well as of the superhero genre.

Very surprising poll results, I think Thor 2 is arguably the worst DCU movie so far, either Thor 2 or Iron Man 3. I thought both were pretty bad actually. Thor 1 is one of the better MCU movies, I'd probably rank it behind The Avengers and Iron Man 1, basically on about the same level of both Captain America movies, which are about equal to me. I think Thor 1 is much, much better than Thor 2.

For me, Thor is the worst from Marvel Studios and Iron Man 3 is the better film. I felt like Iron Man 3 was a compelling chapter to the character of Tony Stark. While The Dark World just felt like one of the adventures of the mighty Thor. I didn't really learn anything about him like in a personal level.

I love both films but I still give the edge to TDW. My opinion hasn't changed. Even after seeing GOTG it's still my favorite Phase 2 film so far (and I've enjoyed them all). Actually TDW is the most fun I've had out of all the MCU films short of Avengers. I don't get the hate at all.

I haven't change my mind either from when I voted TDW.

In phase 2 I hold it in shared second place as TWS was very on point but when I also look at that I'm a big fan of Thor then TDW moves forward and might become the one I will want to rewatch the most.

Not sure if I posted here before but I voted Thor.

Far superior, while not as Asgardian as the sequel it had a story, better chemistry and romance between Jane and Thor, better villain with actual depth in Loki and a great emotional ending.

Which film is better? Thor or Thor The Dark World?

Your mum.

The first Thor is one of my favourite MCU movies, Thor TDW wasn't terrible, but it's one of my least favourite, my main gripe is Malekith, he wasn't a great villain, I wish they would have gone with Enchantress and Executioner, but if they were dead set on Malekith at least make him half decent.

Not sure if I posted here before but I voted Thor.

Far superior, while not as Asgardian as the sequel it had a story, better chemistry and romance between Jane and Thor, better villain with actual depth in Loki and a great emotional ending.

I'm not saying TDW is above criticism but it's HIGHLY underrated. And I won't disagree with some of your points - especially what I've bolded. IMO people irrationally hate the Jane/Thor romance because it wasn't written with any real focus in TDW. I don't believe it's a matter of chemistry at all. I thought they had great chemistry in the first one. There's definitely a spark between those two. I remember in interviews preceding the first film they just oozed attraction.

In the second film there are no scenes to build on the relationship. Instead it is treated as a backdrop for a plot which, while somewhat convoluted perhaps, is a stage for a fun adventurous romp more than anything. I'm actually impressed they kept so many plates spinning with such a short runtime while maintaining an epic feel.

But as a result some things have to suffer. The romance all makes sense in context- Thor's been gone for over two years busy doing his duty restoring order to the Nine Realms. Yet he never even tried to contact her when he came to Earth to help the Avengers. She's been searching for him all this time to the exclusion of her own happiness but she's on the verge of giving up. When he finally does reappear she's not even herself! She's infected with the Aether, gets swooped away to Asgard (in the original comics Jane didn't handle this well at all), then Asgard gets decimated by ancient enemies they didn't even know existed and Thor's mom is killed! After that his brother dies. And then finally someone has to actually save the universe. There's no time for cozy little campfire chats! I mean seriously.

I don't discredit the first Thor film at all. It was actually my favorite Phase 1 film until the Avengers. I'm allowed to like both.

However, I give the edge to TDW over Thor because it steps up the fantasy and sci-fi and I get to see a film where Thor gets to be Thor the entire film doing all his Thor-like things - his confidence, his courage, his indomitable spirit and defiance. And his flaws as well like his hubris, his uncertainties about his personal decisions and yes even his foolhardiness at times. But in the end we get to see a Thor who's the only hero who has saved the world while not really sweating it. That to me is so cool. He's all battered and bruised. And yes he might fail colossally. But he's really not thinking about it or worried. He never says die. He's freaking Thor and he always wins.

Beyond that the family dynamics continue to develop. You see a father and son relationship continue to evolve like it should. We see more development of Thor's relationship with his brother and Loki, ever ambiguous in his motives, continues his winding path to straight villainy. Great stuff.

The first Thor is one of my favourite MCU movies, Thor TDW wasn't terrible, but it's one of my least favourite, my main gripe is Malekith, he wasn't a great villain, I wish they would have gone with Enchantress and Executioner, but if they were dead set on Malekith at least make him half decent.

Man I really wish we could see all the cut footage for Malekith but Marvel has that under lock and key for whatever reason. I think it would change the way a lot of people feel about the MCU version of Malekith.

Man I really wish we could see all the cut footage for Malekith but Marvel has that under lock and key for whatever reason. I think it would change the way a lot of people feel about the MCU version of Malekith.

One of the first Thor comics I read featured Malekith, so I was ok with the choice of him as the villain, and I also wish we could have gotten more out of the character, I would love to see that cut footage so my opinion could change.

Don't get me wrong when I say Thor TDW is one of my least favourite MCU movies, it does not mean I didn't like it, I thought it was alright, just not one of my favourites.

I liked Thor a little better than TTDW. Mostly because of the character arc Thor went through in the first movie.

Honestly.... I hated both movies, are the weakest ones from Marvel.

Marvel has been missing on some of the sequels imo. The first Thor=very good. The sequel=mediocre. Captain America sequel got great reviews but I was bored as hell through most of it, while liking the first one a lot. Both of the Iron Man movies were progressively worse to me as well, while loving the first IM movie. I'd like to see another Hulk movie, cause I think they have the perfect actor in Ruffalo finally to carry torch from Bixby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"