BvS Which Format to See BvS?

micheal81

Civilian
Reaction score
Living in the state of Georgia, there is only 1 true IMAX location. That's at the Fernbank Museum. I don't think they will be showing BvS. There was another at the Regal Mall of GA Stadium 20 & IMAX, but they no longer do 70mm projections. They just have the real IMAX screen and a digital IMAX projection. 3 hours away in Alabama, there is the Mcwane Center IMAX and they are showing the movie in 70mm IMAX.

Should I just go for the Mall of GA location which has bigger screen than the fake IMAX/LieMAX? That location is just over an hour away. Would it be better than at a local theater that has the fake IMAX? Would it be crazy to drive 3 hours to the Alabama location to see true IMAX?

Also, should I see it in IMAX 2D or 3D IMAX? Right now I'm leaning towards 2D.

I can only go from personal experience. I hate 3D, so I'd go 2D if I had the chance. I'm one of the few that just cannot handle the size and loudness of I max (or our equivalent here which is V max).
It all just gets a little overwhelming and I get a little anxious. Hell I nearly had to leave the theater when watching TFAwakens in the Falcon dog fight on Jakku!

2D IMAX (not LieMAX) is my preferred format anytime. If you can see it in 70mm, even better, but even a digital 2D (especially laser) is worth the extra time/money to me if the screen is still proper IMAX size. If I were you I'd probably go to the mall location if they're showing it in 2D.

2D IMAX (not LieMAX) is my preferred format anytime. If you can see it in 70mm, even better, but even a digital 2D (especially laser) is worth the extra time/money to me if the screen is still proper IMAX size. If I were you I'd probably go to the mall location if they're showing it in 2D.

No laser IMAX anywhere in driving distance that I know of. Isn't Digital IMAX (even on a true IMAX screen) still slightly cropped top and bottom and a slightly different aspect ratio? I will probably see it in 2D at the Mall of GA.

No laser IMAX anywhere in driving distance that I know of. Isn't Digital IMAX (even on a true IMAX screen) still slightly cropped top and bottom and a slightly different aspect ratio? I will probably see it in 2D at the Mall of GA.
Depends on the original aspect ratio of the film. In this case, while the film won't take up the entire top and bottom of a proper IMAX screen, it's not actually being "cropped," it's just preserving the original aspect ratio.

Depends on the original aspect ratio of the film. In this case, while the film won't take up the entire top and bottom of a proper IMAX screen, it's not actually being "cropped," it's just preserving the original aspect ratio.

For the IMAX footage though it will be cropped as that is meant to fill the full screen. Don't forget that Snyder shot 25 minutes of the film in the format.

Also the McWane is a dome which really isn't great for the first time you see the film... So go Mall of GA. Even though the IMAX footage won't fill the whole screen.

Format power rankings for BvS:

70mm IMAX film > IMAX Laser 2D/3D > 70mm film > (Dolby Vision if it's happening for BvS) > IMAX digital 2D/3D > 35mm film = 4K 2D > regular 2D/3D

Last edited:
Me too. After that, I'll go with 2D.

Im not sure yet which format I want to see my 2nd viewing.. I see the advance screening at Lincoln Square in 70mm IMAX - so im set there

But over the weekend Im gonna be with family , & not sure which format to see it in , 2D Liemax (still pretty good screen , but no reserved seating so gotta get there like hr 1/2 to get good seats) or 2D RPX (which doesnt get as packed as the IMAX & the seats are better) which I just found out is playing in Auro 11.1 & i have been wanting to compare that to Dolby Atmos for the longest ..hmmmm

There's no IMAX here at all, so 3D I guess. I do prefer 2D, but the 3D premiere will happen with a bigger screen and I want the full epic experience.

My first viewing will be digital 3D, then the next week I'll drive 3 hours and see it in 70mm

Im going to see it the first time in 2D. I want to be able to see everything. Sometimes action in 3D is hard to focus on.

I'm seeing it Thursday in 3D then Friday in 70mm IMAX.

I hope I get tickets for IMAX 4K.

I'll be seeing it at Smithsonian 6-Story tall laser 4K projected IMAX in 2D of course.

For the IMAX footage though it will be cropped as that is meant to fill the full screen. Don't forget that Snyder shot 25 minutes of the film in the format.

Also the McWane is a dome which really isn't great for the first time you see the film... So go Mall of GA. Even though the IMAX footage won't fill the whole screen.

Format power rankings for BvS:

70mm IMAX film > IMAX Laser 2D/3D > 70mm film > (Dolby Vision if it's happening for BvS) > IMAX digital 2D/3D > 35mm film = 4K 2D > regular 2D/3D
I actually had forgotten Snyder shot a bit of this in 65mm, so thanks for the reminder, lol. :up:

I-Max 3D. Doesn't look like it will be 70 mm though.

I have heard IMAX 3D is lame. I also heard that if you plan to see it on IMAX, see it on a normal one or 70mm if not better the normal release.

When I saw the BvS trailer for TFA in 3D I-Max it looked really amazing to me. I got the impression that they filmed BvS well for 3D.

I normally find 3D mildly distracting at first and eventually kind of forget it's even there. But in this case the shots of Superman flying looked kind of realistic in 3D. So I'm hopeful about the 3D part.

I-Max is always better for me than a regular screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"