White House Press Secretary McClellan Resigns

lazur

Superhero
Reaction score
FoxNews said:
White House Press Secretary McClellan Resigns
Wednesday, April 19, 2006

WASHINGTON — White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan said Wednesday he is resigning.

Not much of a story yet. It just broke.

This doesn't surprise me. The guy always looked like he was in intense physical pain from all the b$ he had to sling. It was pretty clear he hated his job just by looking at his face.

jag

yay!!! fat scottie is finally outta there! now maybe we can get a competent press secretary in there who will actually answer questions instead of dodging them. it's probably not up to the PS to decide that, though. i'm sure the gag-order comes from rove or someone else. speaking of rove, he's stepping down as a presidential advisor to start planning the smear campaign against the republican's opponents in the upcomming mid-term elections.

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only a matter of time before Bush resigns too, right?

One can hope.

They tend to step down after about every 2 years to a year and a half.--

raybia said:
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only a matter of time before Bush resigns too, right?

One can hope.

That would be a dream come true.

ShadowBoxing said:
They tend to step down after about every 2 years to a year and a half.

True, but few have had such an adversarial relationship with the press as he has.

jag

jaguarr said:
True, but few have had such an adversarial relationship with the press as he has.

jag

yeah, i'm sure david gregory is going to miss their daily sparring sessions. :)

sinewave said:
yeah, i'm sure david gregory is going to miss their daily sparring sessions. :)

The fun part is that McClellan has the press worked up into such a habit of attacking him and beating him up that whoever takes over for him is going to be immediately shredded to bits on their first press conference. :D

jag

'bout time. The man was incompetant. If Bush had any brains I would've fired him years ago. The man was quite simply bad at his job. No way around it.

ShadowBoxing said:
They tend to step down after about every 2 years to a year and a half.--
Yes. This is not a surprise, though I think he lasted longer than that.

Matt said:
'bout time. The man was incompetant. If Bush had any brains I would've fired him years ago. The man was quite simply bad at his job. No way around it.

yeah, but i have a feeling he was doing exactly what the administration wanted him to do, dodge questions. that's all he did.

Looks like Karl Rove is stepping aside a policy advisor to the President also.

story said:
As for Rove, a senior administration official said Wednesday that Rove is giving up oversight of policy development to focus more on politics with the approach of the fall midterm elections.

Just over a year ago, Rove was promoted to deputy chief of staff in charge of most White House policy coordination. That new portfolio came on top of his title as senior adviser and role of chief policy aide to Bush.

But now, the job of deputy chief of staff for policy is being given to Joel Kaplan, now the White House's deputy budget director, the official said. The promotion of Kaplan would leave Bush with three deputy chiefs of staff: Rove, Kaplan and Joe Hagin, who oversees administrative matters, intelligence and other national security issues.

McClellan, who has served in the job since June 2003, plans to leave in two or three weeks. McClellan replaced former press secretary Ari Fleischer.

One person who is being considered as replacement for McClellan is FOX News’ Radio host Tony Snow. Snow, who hosts "The Tony Snow Show," once served as a speechwriter for President George H.W. Bush.

Other people have also been approached about the position, including former Pentagon spokeswoman Victoria Clark and Dan Senor, the former Coalition Provisional Authority spokesman in Iraq, who served the U.S. civil administrator in Iraq, Paul Bremer.

McClellan's departure follows other high-profile resignations, including former Chief of Staff Andy Card, who was replaced on Monday by Joshua Bolten.

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has responded to calls by six ex-generals this month for his resignation by saying he hasn't considering stepping aside. Bush publicly voiced his steadfast support for the Pentagon chief.

Bush also on Tuesday nominated U.S. Trade Representative Rob Portman to head the Office of Management and Budget. One of Portman's deputies, Susan C. Schwab, will take over his current seat. And Jim Towey, head of the White House office of faith-based and community initiatives, resigned to become president of St. Vincent College in Pennsylvania.

lazur said:
Looks like Karl Rove is stepping aside a policy advisor to the President also.

If we could just get rid of Rummy, now...

jag

jaguarr said:
If we could just get rid of Rummy, now...

jag

doesn't look like it. that old coot seems to have bush's full support. further proof that bush is out of touch with the rest of the country.

sinewave said:
doesn't look like it. that old coot seems to have bush's full support. further proof that bush is out of touch with the rest of the country.

Yep, yep, and yep. :(

jag

I'm just about positive that his annoucement of resignation is the only actual information he's given out to reporters.

C.F. Kane said:
I'm just about positive that his annoucement of resignation is the only actual information he's given out to reporters.

:D "i'm not going to comment on an ongoing resignation."

I wonder if there's any members of the press that don't believe he's really resigning? LOL!

jag

foxnews is claiming that one of their radio hosts, tony snow, is up for the job. anyone ever listened to his show?

here's a funny article on possible replacements for mcclellan.

Will Bunch said:
WASHINGTON, April 27, 2006 -- After it was rebuffed by Tony Snow, Torie Clarke, Joe Klein and Jeff Gannon, an embattled Bush White House finally introduced a new press secretary to replace the departed Scott McClellan: Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf.

Al-Sahaf, who endeared himself to American viewers as Saddam Hussein spokesman "Baghdad Bob" and had to be lured out of semi-retirement in the United Arab Emirates, wasted no time in fielding questions from the White House press corps about a variety of topics, including the war in Iraq.

"They are not near Baghdad," he said in response to a question about sectarian fighting in the Iraqi capital. "Don't believe them.... They said they entered with... tanks in the middle of the capital. They claim that they - I tell you, I... that this speech is too far from the reality. It is a part of this sickness of their plan. There is no an... - no any existence to the insurgents or for fighting in Baghdad at all."

When journalist Helen Thomas tried to show the new press secretary pictures of the fighting, al-Sahaf snapped: NO!"We have retaken the neighborhood. There are NO insurgents there. I will take you there and show you. IN ONE HOUR!"

Al-Sahaf also had some strong words for special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald:

"He's not even [within] 100 miles [of Karl Rove]. They are not in any place. They hold no evidence in the West Wing. This is an illusion ... they are trying to sell to the others an illusion."

http://www.pnionline.com/dnblog/attytood/archives/003126.html

Cant really balme the guy. His heart must be black after all these years of lying and dodging questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"