Sequels Who Else Agrees That X4 Should Be Made Before First Class?

If they bring back Xavier and Cyclops especially, re-power Rogue and Magneto, and maybe even Mystique, then I definately want an X4, FC I can take or leave, not to bothered either way to be honest.

It'd be nice if they could, but I don't see it happening until at least after First Class comes out. And that'd probably only be if that movie isn't as successful as they anticipate. Otherwise, they can make an X-Men movie they want to do without paying the high salaries for Halle Berry, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan, and the rest of the original cast.

This is why X4 can never work.

Trying to "return" everything back to normal from X3 would be a terrible angle..

There are things that an Xmen movie needs IMO. The only retcon that could be hard to swallow is reviving Cyclops, but as it was not an onscreen death, there are ways around it.

If they bring back Xavier and Cyclops especially, re-power Rogue and Magneto, and maybe even Mystique, then I definately want an X4, FC I can take or leave, not to bothered either way to be honest.

But that's entirely the wrong approach.

Films costing $200million with actors demanding $20million salaries aren't made just to press Control-Z on the previous movie.

Can't you accept that in the more limited world of movies (as opposed to ongoing comics), characters can change or die?

Jack Nicholson's Joker died in Batman, Penguin died in Batman Returns, Two-Face died in the one after that as well as in The Dark Knight, Green Goblin and Doc Ock both died in Spider-Man. That's because films need more closure for a mainstream audience.

With the exception of Cyclops (sadly many people's most important retcon), X3 pressed Control-Z itself.

This is why X4 can never work.

Trying to "return" everything back to normal from X3 would be a terrible angle..

We could always take the comicbook approach by never giving the team a moment for things to go back to normal. Anti-mutant gangs can blow up the mansion and cannibals can kidnap and feast on Wolverine. With stuff like that going on, the team won't even think about the deaths of Professor Who, Jean Whatserface, or Scott Bummers.

There are things that an Xmen movie needs IMO. The only retcon that could be hard to swallow is reviving Cyclops, but as it was not an onscreen death, there are ways around it.

That's why I think most people need to give up the hope that he could be brought back. Just because he wasn't shown dead onscreen doesn't mean he's still alive - we never saw Scott and Jean getting freaky in the previous films, doesn't mean they were waiting for marriage just because we weren't there to witness it. It was just a matter of building up the suspense for when she evaporated Xavier.

I'm glad my sarcasm is well-appreciated, haha. Although most of my points do still stand - just not the whole blowing up the X-Men in Michael Bay fashion. That was a joke.

With the exception of Cyclops (sadly many people's most important retcon), X3 pressed Control-Z itself.

Not necessarily. The Last Stand gives potential outs. That doesn't mean they have to be taken. It's very possible that every one of those scenes is conclusive. Cyclops is dead. Mystique, Rogue, etc. are permanently cured and Magneto's barely wiggling a lousy chess piece is explained away otherwise. It's a lot easier to do that than it is to sacrifice money and integrity on an unnecessary sequel that, rather than exist on its own merits, exists to undo the events of its predecessor.

Those were just nods to the fanboys who can't accept permanent change, a hint that the X-world goes on and an acknowledgement of the comics where characters live/die/live/die all the time.

Those were just nods to the fanboys who can't accept permanent change, a hint that the X-world goes on and an acknowledgement of the comics where characters live/die/live/die all the time.

Yes it was all of these things when the film was made... but if a forth film becomes a serious proposal then these nods may become something more substantial.

Bringing Xavier back is a mistake in my opinion. He got a big send-off, and his beliefs and lessons are being continued through his students. It would have been better to save Cyclops, who left in a far less resolved fashion. His return should have been in time to end the Pheonix story, but there is still room for him to be important and grow. I would have liked to see him fulfilling his promise to the professor from X1 and take charge at the mansion, put his relationship to rest with a scene at Jean's grave, and maybe even clear the air with Logan. I doubt he'll return though.

I think the cure has to "wear off" in a 4th, for Rogue's character in particular. That allows for a lot developments: expanding her powers and having her come to terms with what she is. It would be a nice statement to see that these people can't be "fixed". That to me is an interesting arc, and not a mere retcon. I'd be unhappy if X4 didn't capatalise on this at least.

Yes it was all of these things when the film was made... but if a forth film becomes a serious proposal then these nods may become something more substantial.

Bringing Xavier back is a mistake in my opinion. He got a big send-off, and his beliefs and lessons are being continued through his students. It would have been better to save Cyclops, who left in a far less resolved fashion. His return should have been in time to end the Pheonix story, but there is still room for him to be important and grow. I would have liked to see him fulfilling his promise to the professor from X1 and take charge at the mansion, put his relationship to rest with a scene at Jean's grave, and maybe even clear the air with Logan. I doubt he'll return though.

I think the cure has to "wear off" in a 4th, for Rogue's character in particular. That allows for a lot developments: expanding her powers and having her come to terms with what she is. It would be a nice statement to see that these people can't be "fixed". That to me is an interesting arc, and not a mere retcon. I'd be unhappy if X4 didn't capatalise on this at least.

I'm liking the way you think - please check out my post made in the What would Singer work with? (X4 question/possibility) thread to see how I feel the Cure plot should be handled in the event of future sequels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"