BvS Who is Miscast in this cinematic universe?

Eisenberg. He should have never been cast, and even his voice is all wrong for the character. I've liked him in several other roles, but this one just simply doesn’t work on any level.

Most of you aren't going to agree with me, but I have to say Affleck. I wanted to believe he'd give us the definitive Batman. He certainly looks the part physically, there's no denying that. But I've always felt like Batman requires a little something extra. Something beyond just acting; an intensity that Affleck just can't seem to tap into, at least not in BVS. He mostly looked dead eyed to me; just kind of there. Showing up for work. Maybe he'll do better in his solo effort or in Suicide Squad though. Maybe it's Snyder who just couldn't get a good performance out of him. But right now, I'm not excited to see more of this Batman, and I think at least some of that has to do with the performance.

Most of you aren't going to agree with me, but I have to say Affleck. I wanted to believe he'd give us the definitive Batman. He certainly looks the part physically, there's no denying that. But I've always felt like Batman requires a little something extra. Something beyond just acting; an intensity that Affleck just can't seem to tap into, at least not in BVS. He mostly looked dead eyed to me; just kind of there. Showing up for work. Maybe he'll do better in his solo effort or in Suicide Squad though. Maybe it's Snyder who just couldn't get a good performance out of him. But right now, I'm not excited to see more of this Batman, and I think at least some of that has to do with the performance.

Agreed. Affleck acting was good but he not feel like Batman to me.

Who would you like instead?

Most of you aren't going to agree with me, but I have to say Affleck. I wanted to believe he'd give us the definitive Batman. He certainly looks the part physically, there's no denying that. But I've always felt like Batman requires a little something extra. Something beyond just acting; an intensity that Affleck just can't seem to tap into, at least not in BVS. .

You're 100% correct. It's much like the Thomas Jane/Jon Bernthal situation with the Punisher. Both of those guys are accomplished actors, but Bernthal can project the Frank Castle intensity in a way that instantly makes him believable. Affleck did his best, but he's lacking an intangible that will follow him through his career as Bruce.

Totally agree. You have to project energy. Either crazy (Keaton) or intensity (Bale) ... and Affleck has neither. Great post by the way. As for casting. I only really feel they nailed it with Cavill and Gadot. Irons too I guess. The rest are either average at best, Affleck / Adams. Or down right horrendous, Eisenberg.

I'd have reworked Luthor's character entirely and cast Damian Lewis.

Damian Lewis is currently awesome as a Machiavellian billionaire on Showtime's Billions. Probably the nearest as Lex Luthor you will ever see him.

Who Is Miscast?

Henry Cavill as Clark/Superman. He lacks range as an actor. He played Clark and Superman exactly the same, with the same monotone voice. His delivery of that "not everyone stays good" line was really awkward. Supes is a role that really requires an actor with range and versatility.

Eisenberg as Lex Luthor. Terrible choice for Lex with a really underwhelming interpretation of the character. Eisenberg is forever doomed to play the same neurotic nerd in every film. Lex Luthor should be the opposite of that.

Adams as Lois Lane. She isn't quite right for this role. Lois Lane has charm and sass. She's witty and headstrong. Adams plays Lois as more soft and subdued. Lois could have easily been the charm of these films. She could be the female version of RDJ, she was basically like that in Superman TAS.

Because the three core members of the Superman cast are weak, I don't have much faith in a solo Superman film being able to hold it's own.
Doesn't sound like WB does either. Amusing that Cavill and Snyder said they had to 'negotiate' a Superman sequel with WB. Many people thought a sequel was guaranteed after MOS, but clearly MOS didn't live up to WB's expectations.

Damien Lewis is a great choice for Luthor. Probably the best i've heard considering his age. If they went much older, then yes, Cranston.

I wouldn't say Ben was miscast, but i've been saying what you're saying for the last couple of weeks. Ben looks the part, he did well, but mainly as Bruce. His Batman didn't feel like he was being Batman, more like Bruce threw on a batsuit and acted the exact same, letting the voice modulation and stuntguys do the work. There's proof of this with Ben's comments about how there's zero work to be done as Batman, that it's all the director and post-production. I think that's a false way to go about it. Bale and even Keaton knew that you had to transform and play it differently than Bruce Wayne. You can't just rely on the suit and visual effects, sound to do the entire job for you. From his eyes underneath that cowl, to his mannerisms when he spoke...he was playing it the same as he did when he was in a batcave with a dress shirt on.

Who Is Miscast?

Henry Cavill as Clark/Superman. He lacks range as an actor. He played Clark and Superman exactly the same, with the same monotone voice. His delivery of that "not everyone stays good" line was really awkward. Supes is a role that really requires an actor with range and versatility.

Eisenberg as Lex Luthor. Terrible choice for Lex with a really underwhelming interpretation of the character. Eisenberg is forever doomed to play the same neurotic nerd in every film. Lex Luthor should be the opposite of that.

Adams as Lois Lane. She isn't quite right for this role. Lois Lane has charm and sass. She's witty and headstrong. Adams plays Lois as more soft and subdued. Lois could have easily been the charm of these films. She could be the female version of RDJ, she was basically like that in Superman TAS.

Because the three core members of the Superman cast are weak, I don't have much faith in a solo Superman film being able to hold it's own.
Doesn't sound like WB does either. Amusing that Cavill and Snyder said they had to 'negotiate' a Superman sequel with WB. Many people thought a sequel was guaranteed after MOS, but clearly MOS didn't live up to WB's expectations.
For Snyders shallow vision and scripts, i would say Cavill is a great choice. He's passable in this version, but it especially works due to his physical features. Cavill is not a good actor, he's incredibly mediocre overall. His best moments are just fine. And most of the time i'm sitting there going "Dude, come on, i can deliver that better". I can't think of anyone else to cast though.

If there was a different writing staff and director involved, i would say sack Cavill or maybe he could excel. I blame the creators of this version on the lack of range between Clark and Supes.

I think you're mistaking performance with writing/direction. Amy is a great actress, and it looks like she's trying, but the character is very thin on paper and she's working with a lousy director who doesn't care too much about character. Im sure she's being directed to play this role a certain way. She seems off in almost every scene (MoS AND BvS). It's always like she's aware of her surroundings, that she's in a comic book movie. Some scenes she's very good, so i think it's a problem with the crew around her. I felt the same with Michael Shannon.

Jesse goes without saying.

^ I think Cavill has a warmth IRL that's totally Superman though. It just doesn't fully come across in Snyder's movies.

Given that comic Batman has only blank eyes, I personally am OKAY with a lack of intensity from Batman. Besides, I think he was imposing when he had to be.

He has a warmth and it's not really used. But the guy lacks range. I don't think he could play a goofy, funny disguise if it was written for him.

Given that comic Batman has only blank eyes, I personally am OKAY with a lack of intensity from Batman. Besides, I think he was imposing when he had to be.
My problem with him is that he felt like Bruce being Bruce in a cowl. Whether he was interacting with Superman ("I thought she was with you?") or with nobody else around ("Oh s**t!") or fighting with Supes ("Here I am" - "tell me, do you bleed?"). Maybe I shouldn't say it's a problem. It's a nitpick. But I liked Keaton's eyes in the batmobile and batcave with Vale. I liked how Bale would still look intense and use the voice even when he was by himself, at times when he was in the role, all business. It's like..something is off in the head with this guy. Affleck kinda just plays it all the same and relies on post-production and aesthetics to do the work.

^ I think Cavill has a warmth IRL that's totally Superman though. It just doesn't fully come across in Snyder's movies.

It doesn't come across in any of his movies though. He delivered his lines like he was reading the news in Man From Uncle. Really stiff.
I thought Brandon conveyed far more warmth in what little he has done. Henry has a bad habit of coming off cold and wooden.

Wow, I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking Affleck was kind of lifeless in his role here. The Jane/Bernthal Punisher comparison is a good one here; while Jane did a decent job as the hardened action hero, Bernthal really conveyed a man whose life has been ripped apart and he's losing his f***ing mind because of it. I believe he said that he used Taxi Driver as an inspiration for his character, which is brilliant, IMO.

And to me, that's what Batman needs. He needs to be scary, he needs to be a step away from crossing the line. I feel like they tried to do that with Affleck but it just didn't work. He just came off tired to me; like a 20-year company man who is a few weeks away from retirement.

As for who I would have cast, I don't know. I was never crazy about Batman being much older than Superman for a couple reasons. First, it limits what you can do with him. It kind of rules out any new takes on his early years unless you're going to cast a younger actor for a prequel or use CGI to de-age him. Not that I want to see another Batman origin movie but some of the best Batman stories have occurred early on in his career. I also feel like it makes the dynamic between Batman and Superman feel off. I like the idea of them as two sides of the same coin; they both want the same thing but they have different philosophies about getting it done. Making Batman much older almost makes it feel like the movie is trying to subtly tell you that his way is the "right" way since he's the more experienced of the two. Now, if they had made Superman more idealistic (representing the newer, more progressive way of thinking about things) that could have really been interesting. But this movie clearly wasn't concerned with making Superman stand out.

Last thing... It's fine if people think Cavill is bad or miscast but please, let's not start up with the "bring Routh back" talk again. Cavill's performance in BVS doesn't somehow make Routh's blank faced, emotionless performance in SR good.

Agreed. Routh sucked. I'll take Cavill thanks. But Cavill is still pretty stiff, while Affleck felt tired and a bit lifeless like you said.

I think Cavill has a couple problems. The first is Snyder, who appears to want him to do nothing more than brood and mope with minimal dialogue. At least in MOS, he gave him scenes with Lois and Martha where he was able to display some warmth and charm. In BVS, it's like they just wanted to show you how much it sucks to be a superhero.

The other issue might simply be the accent. I worry that Cavill might be concentrating on sounding American so much that he comes off too stiff and stern. He seems a lot more relaxed when he uses his normal accent. Maybe he should just ease up and if the accent slips a bit, so be it.

From what I've gathered, the general consensus seems to be that no one was miscast. Rather, some of the characters these actors or portraying have been miswritten.

After multiple viewings, it's clear to me that Eisenberg and Gadot are distractions to an overall solid cast.

Damian Lewis is currently awesome as a Machiavellian billionaire on Showtime's Billions. Probably the nearest as Lex Luthor you will ever see him.

Daniel Day Lewis for me, with a frightening intensity similar to his roles in There Will Be Blood and Gangs Of New York.

Gotta completely disagree about Affleck's casting. I think he could project some more intensity or craziness if called to, but I've never seen Batman in the comics or cartoons do so, he's always calm, cool, and collected

After multiple viewings, it's clear to me that Eisenberg and Gadot are distractions to an overall solid cast.
Gadot? I thought she was fine. She had such a small role that i can't give her s**t for not being anything more than fine or solid. The truth will be revealed in her solo movie, if she can lead a movie and if she can do more than look hot or tough. She certainly has the accent for the character. I wanted to know more about her and thought she was a breath of fresh air actually, whenever she popped up.

Gotta completely disagree about Affleck's casting. I think he could project some more intensity or craziness if called to, but I've never seen Batman in the comics or cartoons do so, he's always calm, cool, and collected
Not true at all.

Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor

Amy Adams isn't necessarily miscast as Lois, but her Lois and Henry's Superman have no romantic chemistry at all. Didn't they do a chemistry screen test between these two? Amy has more chemistry with Batfleck.

Doomsday's CGI was miscast.

Gal Gadot's okay so far, but her two lines in the final battle against Doomsday stuck out like a sore thumb at how badly wooden and awful she delivered them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"