Deadpool 2 Who should compose the score for 'Deadpool 2'?

-JKR-

Superhero
Reaction score
Well, today Tom Holkenborg (Junkie XL) has officially followed 'Deadpool' director Tim Miller in leaving its sequel, making the announcement himself:

Dear friends,
It is with a heavy heart that I have decided not to score the upcoming Deadpool Movie. I love this character and creating his and the movie's original score was a monumental chapter in my life, personally and professionally.
Since it was revealed that Deadpool's brilliant creative director Tim Miller will not be involved in the project anymore, I have undertaken some soul searching. Tim was the driving force behind Deadpool and me getting involved in this amazing project. Deadpool without Tim at the helm just does not sit right with me and that is why I have decided not to be involved in the second chapter.
It was a difficult decision, as I love the project so much and I know how eagerly the next installment will be anticipated, it's hard to walk away from something so unique, but it also has to feel right.
Hope everyone understands. Onward and upward.
Love,
Tom
So, who would you want to compose the score for 'Deadpool 2'?

If David Leitch is confirmed as director for the sequel, I can see him getting Tyler Bates on board. Bates has, after all, scored his debut 'John Wick' and his upcoming movie 'The Coldest City.'

Other suggestions:
- Mychael Danna
- Mark Mothersbaugh
- Joe Kraemer
- Brian Tyler
- Basement Jaxx
- Steven Price
(or of course have them reteam, as on 'Attack the Block')
- John Ottman
- Marco Beltrami
- The Dust Brothers

Last edited:
A bit humorous that Junkie XL made a big announcement about him not being involved with Deadpool 2 b/c the score didn't have a huge impact on the first film, imo. In fact I didn't even notice much score in the movie. Whatever was there was probably just droning and sound design. However, the songs left a stronger impression on me. So Junkie XL's lack of involvement in Deadpool 2 isn't a huge loss for me. I won't miss him.

As for who should score Deadpool 2? I haven't any clue. I'm actually fine with this franchise mostly having a song driven soundtrack. Unless the sequel calls for it Deadpool probably doesn't need a big orchestral score. If they want a film composer they should hire one who has a talent and skill for ambient/experimental/minimalist scores. I don't feel Deadpool requires a big score like Superman, Batman. Spider-Man, etc., imo.

Scores aren't just epic themes and orchestrations such as in the Superman, Batman and Spider-Man movies.

A minimalist score is still a score. And film music, even when you don't notice it (and it doesn't have to be noticed all the time, it's complimentary to the screen action), does a lot to enhance a scene and set the pace and tone. And so does Junkie XL's music for Deadpool.

Trust me, if the score wasn't there during the movie, you'd suddenly miss it.

Deadpool needs a score as much as any other great action movie (what would Lethal Weapon, Predator, Die Hard, etc. be without their scores?).

Last edited:
Scores aren't just epic themes and orchestrations such as in the Superman, Batman and Spider-Man movies.
I know film scores aren't just epic scores/orchestrations. I never suggested that Deadpool should have epic themes and orchestrations like the Superman, Batman and Spider-Man movies.

A minimalist score is still a score. And film music, even when you don't notice it (and it doesn't have to be noticed all the time, it's complimentary to the screen action), does a lot to enhance a scene and set the pace and tone. And so does Junkie XL's music for Deadpool.

I know what a minimalist score is. I agree that film music doesn't have to be noticed all the time, as well as it enhancing a scene, and setting the pace and tone, which I don't feel Junkie XL did with the first Deadpool movie. I wasn't saying I didn't like the score b/c I didn't notice it. I'm saying I don't care if he doesn't return for DP2 b/c his score didn't resonate or have any impact on me during or after the film. That's cool that Junkie XL's score resonated with you though.

Trust me, if the score wasn't there during the movie, you'd suddenly miss it.
:huh: How could I miss the score if it didn't have any impact on me? The songs more than made up for it for me to not notice the score. Plus that argument works better for something Star Wars, where the music has a major impact on the film unlike Deadpool, imo .

Deadpool needs a score as much as any other great action movie (what would Lethal Weapon, Predator, Die Hard, etc. be without their scores?). And I hope that the sequel will be as much an action movie as a comedy (like the original), even without Tim Miller at the helm. Otherwise we're f***ed!

I didn't say Deadpool didn't need a score. I said I was fine with the Deadpool franchise soundtracks being mostly song driven. If Deadpool gets a score I hope they hire a composer who'll come up with something less shallow than what Junkie XL did, imo.

Now that David Leitch has been confirmed as director for Deadpool 2, do you think that he'll bring his John Wick and The Coldest City composer Tyler Bates on board?

I agree that Tyler Bates is the likely replacement.

I always thought Junkie XL sounded like a cross between Bates and Hans Zimmer.

Tyler Bates to Score ‘Deadpool 2’

Film Music Reporter said:
Tyler Bates has been tapped to score the upcoming superhero comedy sequel Deadpool 2. The film is directed by David Leitch and stars Ryan Reynolds in the title role, Josh Brolin as Cable, as well as Morena Baccarin, Leslie Uggams, Brianna Hildebrand, Stefan Kapi?i?, Shioli Kutsuna, Julian Dennison, Eddie Marsan, Zazie Beetz and Jack Kesy. Rhett Reese & Paul Wernick (Zombieland) who scripted the original movie wrote the screenplay. Simon Kinberg (X-Men: Days of Future Past, The Martian), Lauren Shuler Donner (X-Men, Logan) and Reynolds return as the project’s producers. Bates has previously collaborated with Leitch on the first John Wick movie and this year’s Atomic Blonde. The original Deadpool movie directed by Tim Miller was scored by Junkie XL (aka Tom Holkenborg). Deadpool 2 will be released on June 1, 2018 by 20th Century Fox.

Bates (Guardians of the Galaxy, 300, Watchmen, Dawn of the Dead) also has Marvel’s Netflix series The Punisher (set to premiere on November 17), Emilio Estevez’s drama The Public, as well as the action thriller 24 Hours to Live (to be released on November 3 on Ultra VOD and in select theaters on December 1) coming up. He also continues to score Fox’s The Exorcist and AT&T Audience Network’s Kingdom.

Sony Classical to Release Tyler Bates’ ‘Deadpool 2’ Score

MKydoB8.jpg

Sony Classical will release the official score album for the superhero comedy sequel Deadpool 2. The album features the film’s original music composed by Tyler Bates (Guardians of the Galaxy, 300, John Wick, Atomic Blonde, Watchmen, Dawn of the Dead). The soundtrack is set to be released on May 18, 2018. Check back on this page for the full album details and the pre-order link. Deadpool 2 is directed by David Leitch and stars Ryan Reynolds, Josh Brolin, Morena Baccarin, Julian Dennison, Zazie Beetz, T.J. Miller, Brianna Hildebrand and Jack Kesy. The movie will be released in theaters nationwide on May 18 by 20th Century Fox.

‘Deadpool 2’ Score Album Details

Here’s the album track list:
1. X-Men Arrive
2. Fighting Dirty
3. Hello Super Powers
4. Escape
5. Vanessa
6. Weasel Interrogation
7. Holy S*** Balls
8. Mutant Convoy
9. The Name is Cable
10. Sorry for Your Loss
11. You Can’t Stop this Mother F*****
12. Ice Box
13. Docking
14. Make the Whole World our B****
15. Pity D***
16. Knock Knock
17. Let Me In
18. Maximum Effort
19. The Orphanage
20. Cable Flashback
21. Genuine High Grade Lead
22. Courage Mother F*****

‘Deadpool 2’ Soundtrack Details

YzCSbvg.jpg

The track list of the soundtrack album for Deadpool 2 has been revealed. The album features the songs from the movie, including the original songs Ashes by Celine Dion and Welcome to the Party by Diplo ft French Montana, Lil Jump & Zhavia Ward, as well as songs by Cher, Peter Gabriel, Skrillex, Dolly Parton, a-ha, DJ Shadow feat. Run the Jewels & more. Also included is a track from the movie’s original score by Tyler Bates. The soundtrack will be released on and is now available for pre-order on Amazon. A separate album featuring the Bates’ score has previously been announced. Deadpool 2 directed by David Leitch and starring Ryan Reynolds, Josh Brolin, Morena Baccarin, T.J. Miller, Julian Dennison, Zazie Beetz, Brianna Hildebrand and Jack Kesy will be released in theaters nationwide on May 18 by 20th Century Fox.

Here’s the album track list:

1. Ashes – Celine Dion
2. Welcome to the Party – Diplo feat. French Montana, Lil Pump and Zhavia Ward
3. Nobody Speak – DJ Shadow feat. Run The Jewels
4. In Your Eyes – Peter Gabriel
5. Take On Me (MTV Unplugged – Summer Solstice) – a-ha
6. If I Could Turn Back Time – Cher
7. 9 to 5 – Dolly Parton
8. All Out of Love – Air Supply
9. We Belong – Pat Benatar
10. Tomorrow – Alicia Morton
11. Mutant Convoy – Tyler Bates
12. Bangarang – Skrillex feat. Sirah

Listened to a few tracks of Tyler Bates' score. Really cool.

''You Can't Stop This Mother F*****'' is GLORIOUS! :funny:

Those choices for the licensed songs sound hilarious. :woot:

Watched the first one again tonight as a refresher, damn the music choices work so perfectly.

I was a huge fan of Junkie XL's score for the original movie, and while I initially missed his 1980s style synths, it didn't take long for me to start appreciating Tyler Bates' take on the material, as well. "You Can't Stop this Mother****er" is hilarious, but aside from that it's a brilliant, fast-paced, fun score. And the electronic guitars really gave the movie a true "1990s comic book" vibe which I really enjoyed.
Huge props to Tyler Bates!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"