Who should compose the score for 'Deadpool 2'?

Discussion in 'Deadpool 2' started by -JKR-, Nov 3, 2016.

1. -JKR- Registered

Well, today Tom Holkenborg (Junkie XL) has officially followed 'Deadpool' director Tim Miller in leaving its sequel, making the announcement himself:

So, who would you want to compose the score for 'Deadpool 2'?

If David Leitch is confirmed as director for the sequel, I can see him getting Tyler Bates on board. Bates has, after all, scored his debut 'John Wick' and his upcoming movie 'The Coldest City.'

Other suggestions:
    - Mychael Danna
    - Mark Mothersbaugh
    - Joe Kraemer
    - Brian Tyler
    - Basement Jaxx
    - Steven Price
    (or of course have them reteam, as on 'Attack the Block')
    - John Ottman
    - Marco Beltrami
    - The Dust Brothers

#1 -JKR-, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  2. Elevator Man Registered

A bit humorous that Junkie XL made a big announcement about him not being involved with Deadpool 2 b/c the score didn't have a huge impact on the first film, imo. In fact I didn't even notice much score in the movie. Whatever was there was probably just droning and sound design. However, the songs left a stronger impression on me. So Junkie XL's lack of involvement in Deadpool 2 isn't a huge loss for me. I won't miss him.

As for who should score Deadpool 2? I haven't any clue. I'm actually fine with this franchise mostly having a song driven soundtrack. Unless the sequel calls for it Deadpool probably doesn't need a big orchestral score. If they want a film composer they should hire one who has a talent and skill for ambient/experimental/minimalist scores. I don't feel Deadpool requires a big score like Superman, Batman. Spider-Man, etc., imo.

3. -JKR- Registered

Scores aren't just epic themes and orchestrations such as in the Superman, Batman and Spider-Man movies.

A minimalist score is still a score. And film music, even when you don't notice it (and it doesn't have to be noticed all the time, it's complimentary to the screen action), does a lot to enhance a scene and set the pace and tone. And so does Junkie XL's music for Deadpool.

Trust me, if the score wasn't there during the movie, you'd suddenly miss it.

Deadpool needs a score as much as any other great action movie (what would Lethal Weapon, Predator, Die Hard, etc. be without their scores?).

#3 -JKR-, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  4. Elevator Man Registered

I know film scores aren't just epic scores/orchestrations. I never suggested that Deadpool should have epic themes and orchestrations like the Superman, Batman and Spider-Man movies.

I know what a minimalist score is. I agree that film music doesn't have to be noticed all the time, as well as it enhancing a scene, and setting the pace and tone, which I don't feel Junkie XL did with the first Deadpool movie. I wasn't saying I didn't like the score b/c I didn't notice it. I'm saying I don't care if he doesn't return for DP2 b/c his score didn't resonate or have any impact on me during or after the film. That's cool that Junkie XL's score resonated with you though.

:huh: How could I miss the score if it didn't have any impact on me? The songs more than made up for it for me to not notice the score. Plus that argument works better for something Star Wars, where the music has a major impact on the film unlike Deadpool, imo .

I didn't say Deadpool didn't need a score. I said I was fine with the Deadpool franchise soundtracks being mostly song driven. If Deadpool gets a score I hope they hire a composer who'll come up with something less shallow than what Junkie XL did, imo.

5. -JKR- Registered

Now that David Leitch has been confirmed as director for Deadpool 2, do you think that he'll bring his John Wick and The Coldest City composer Tyler Bates on board?

6. Jay Beezy Registered

I agree that Tyler Bates is the likely replacement.

I always thought Junkie XL sounded like a cross between Bates and Hans Zimmer.

7. Elevator Man Registered

Tyler Bates to Score ‘Deadpool 2’

8. Pennywise Registered

9. Drseuss Registered

Tyler bates indeed!!

10. Elevator Man Registered

Sony Classical to Release Tyler Bates’ ‘Deadpool 2’ Score

[​IMG]

11. Elevator Man Registered

‘Deadpool 2’ Score Album Details

Here’s the album track list:
    1. X-Men Arrive
    2. Fighting Dirty
    3. Hello Super Powers
    4. Escape
    5. Vanessa
    6. Weasel Interrogation
    7. Holy S*** Balls
    8. Mutant Convoy
    9. The Name is Cable
    10. Sorry for Your Loss
    11. You Can’t Stop this Mother F*****
    12. Ice Box
    13. Docking
    14. Make the Whole World our B****
    15. Pity D***
    16. Knock Knock
    17. Let Me In
    18. Maximum Effort
    19. The Orphanage
    20. Cable Flashback
    21. Genuine High Grade Lead
    22. Courage Mother F*****

12. Elevator Man Registered

‘Deadpool 2’ Soundtrack Details

[​IMG]

13. StarLord < < < < < < <

Listened to a few tracks of Tyler Bates' score. Really cool.

''You Can't Stop This Mother F*****'' is GLORIOUS! :funny:

14. Aximili86 Registered

Those choices for the licensed songs sound hilarious. :woot:

Watched the first one again tonight as a refresher, damn the music choices work so perfectly.

15. -JKR- Registered

I was a huge fan of Junkie XL's score for the original movie, and while I initially missed his 1980s style synths, it didn't take long for me to start appreciating Tyler Bates' take on the material, as well. "You Can't Stop this Mother****er" is hilarious, but aside from that it's a brilliant, fast-paced, fun score. And the electronic guitars really gave the movie a true "1990s comic book" vibe which I really enjoyed.
    Huge props to Tyler Bates!