Guardians of the Galaxy Who should direct?

Probably be Lord & Miller. Although I wouldn’t mind giving Favreau another shot. But I think he is working on Jungle Book 2.

My choices:

1) Taika
2) Matthew Vaughn
3) Lord & Miller
4) Brad Bird
5) Kathryn Bigelow

James Gunn SHOULD direct, but since this is unlikely to be reversed then the best choice would be Joe and Anthony Russo.

The Russo’s have already proven they can handle these characters perfectly in Infinity War. They absolutely NAILED the Guardians in both character and tone.

The expected 2020 release is irrelevant. It has not been officially announced, and delivering the best possible final chapter of the Guardians trilogy is much more important than just hitting some arbitrary releases date (which was never official in the first place). And Marvel has already reshuffled a planned release schedule when situations changed.

Waititi could be good, but I’m not convinced he’s right for the Guardians. His style feels very different. But I KNOW the Russos would be right because they’ve already shown that they are.

The question would be would they want to do it? Do they have the energy to jump on this once finished with Avengers 4 next spring? But they are basically a four person team (Markus, McFeely, Joe and Anthony) so they may be able to handle it easier than a single director.

The Russo’s have already proven they can handle these characters perfectly in Infinity War. They absolutely NAILED the Guardians in both character and tone.

James Gunn worked closely with the Russo brothers making sure the Guardians are well taken care of.

Russo Brothers collaborated with Ryan Coogler, James Gunn & More MCU Directors on 'Avengers: Infinity War’

https://superbromovies.com/2018/03/...-more-mcu-directors-on-avengers-infinity-war/

James Gunn Wrote Some Dialogue For The Guardians In ‘Avengers: Infinity War’

https://heroichollywood.com/james-gunn-avengers-guardians-galaxy-dialogue/

James Gunn Suggested The Guardians’ Intro Song In ‘Avengers: Infinity War’

https://heroichollywood.com/james-gunn-guardians-song-avengers/

Edgar Wright

If you want GOTG3 in time for Phase 15, then sure, why not? :o

He'd have to show the current Guardians appearing as the old Guardians to a team of younger cast members like Stallone and company did in GOTG2.

The next director needs to be able to craft the movie with the DNA that Gunn already set for this franchise. I do think Waititi is the guy to take it over. The same creative DNA runs in their veins.

The only man for the job then is Scott Buck.

His cosmic work and visuals on Inhumans rivals anything that Gunn or Waititi have created and in fact puts them to shame. Such an expensive and fantastical-looking series. The whole 10 episodes should've been on IMAX.

Taika Waititi
Russo Brothers
Lord & Miller
Brad Bird
Tim Miller
Doug Liman

Unfortunately I don’t think we will get anyone “hot” right now. Most are already tied up with something else.

This might get pushed back a year.

I really can't imagine big name directors such as Wright or Lord & Miller accepting to direct someone else's script. Same for Waititi. It's time to start searching for another hired gun like Peyton Reed.

I really can't imagine big name directors such as Wright or Lord & Miller accepting to direct someone else's script. Same for Waititi. It's time to start searching for another hired gun like Peyton Reed.

Do you think they'd be still using Gunn's script?

Depends on how far along the script was and if they are flexible with opening dates.

Depends on how far along the script was and if they are flexible with opening dates.

Apparently the script was finished. Maybe not the very last draft, but there was a finished version already.

Well then they will definitely go for a director who is capable of executing someone else’s vision and not hung up on starting from scratch.

They'll have to do that regardless if the script is finished or not. The whole franchise is Gunn's vision and any director will have to adapt.

Do you think they'd be still using Gunn's script?
I could be wrong, but I think they will. This is not like the Edgar Wright fiasco, where Marvel and the director parted ways over creative differences.

Right now, we have no reason to believe that Marvel had any problem with Gunn's script.

Sure. Unless they want to stay away from any kind of relation with Gunn.

I expect Marvel to make an offer to Taika. But I wouldn't be surprised if he turned it down. A director with his talent should be doing more original stuff. Rather than being tied down to a franchise.

I could be wrong, but I think they will. This is not like the Edgar Wright fiasco, where Marvel and the director parted ways over creative differences.

Right now, we have no reason to believe that Marvel had any problem with Gunn's script.

Well, the thing isn't just about whether his script aligns with their creative ideas. It's that if they use it, they will have to credit him, and his name will be on their movie. So there is that consideration. Do they want his name still associated with the MCU from this point forward?

It will look like they still continued to do business with him and use him, even after Disney fired him, rather than a clean break.

Either they use his script and he agrees not to be credited (but has the satisfaction of seeing his work up on screen even though he didn't direct) or they don't use his script at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"