Who's going to be harder to recast down the line Wolverine or Iron Man?

Bruce Malone

Superhero
Reaction score
Hugh Jackman and Robert Downey Jr have both made their respective comic book characters (Wolverine and Iron Man) pretty iconic on film and it's hard to imagine those characters in live action without thinking of these two guys.

However they're both getting up there in age and will at some point likely step-down. Which character do you think is going to be harder to re-cast when they step down at some point however? I think the actor following in either of those guys footsteps is going to have get over a mountain.

Robert Downey Jr because he IS Tony Stark.

Iron Man, I believe.

I only ever thought Jackman was adequate in the Wolverine role much the same was that MacGuire was as Spider-man or Keaton and those who followed him as Batman.

RDJ as Tony Stark is like Chris Reeve in the Superman role. Just a damn near perfect fit.

Definitely IM, I do think a good replacement can be found for both but I think RDJ as IronMan is the tougher recast

I love both in their respective roles... But Jackman did a great job of bringing Logan to life, but there are a number of actors who could have done that. RDJ has actually put his stamp on the Tony Stark character. His interpretation actually added something to IRON MAN that, like it or not, has now become an expectation for the audience across media for old Shell Head. Just my two cents.

RDJ is Iron Man, seriously I watch a movie like Sherlock Holmes and all I see is British Tony Stark. I really hope RDJ can play this character for at least 10 years.

Neither. Both can be successfully recasted. Just like The Joker and Spider-Man.

The Wolverine proved to me that Hugh Jackman is THE Wolverine of this generation. And RDJ as Tony Stark is THE Tony Stark of this generation.

That being said, recasting is completely possible. You never know what future actors will do to completely reinvent the role.

Yes but the difference is that those Characters were household names before they were brought into live-action, while Iron Man and Wolverine were not and were defined by the actors that played them.

Yes but the difference is that those Characters were household names before they were brought into live-action, while Iron Man and Wolverine were not and were defined by the actors that played them.

Defined for the GA maybe. But ever since I first saw each in their respective roles I've thought Jackman is far too gentlemanly (not to mention tall) and RDJ takes the sarcasm and eccentricity to a-whole-nother level. Either one can be replaced. Neither one is perfect. They just bring their own charm to the roles. Which is great, but not irreplaceable.

Iron Man.

Wolverine lends himself to being a likeable character, regardless. Tony Stark, on the other hand, is a dud, which is why Robert Downey Jr. has found better success simply playing himself.

Last edited:
Wolverine, of course!

Hugh Jackman has been playing the character since 2000.

after the wolverine i am gonna say jackman the man gave such a multi layered performance and one of my fav. super hero performances

RDJ.

They could cast Jackman tomorrow and I couldn't care less. Oh, and cast someone who is short and stocky.

Love Garfield as Spidey so I hope that recast doesn't happen anytime soon.

I pity the Joker (see what I did there ;)) that has to follow Ledger.

Jackman.RDJ is great but I've always felt iron man can succeed without him if there's an emergency.

Jackman on the other hand would cause a huge blow to the fan base of women who want to see dreamy, I can change him wolverine without loosing the straight male fanbase

Good question....would be tough to recast either.

But I think Jeffrey Dean Morgan is a cinch for a new Tony Stark; I can't really think of the "next" Wolverine, though.

In my honest opinion, I'd have to say Wolverine.

Jackman.RDJ is great but I've always felt iron man can succeed without him if there's an emergency.

Jackman on the other hand would cause a huge blow to the fan base of women who want to see dreamy, I can change him wolverine without loosing the straight male fanbase

They would have to change IM's personality because RDJ is IM. Or it will just look like an imitation (i.e. Brandon Routh).

Yeah, both would be devastating to a lot of fans...but I think RDJ has an edge over Jackman in that RDJ really elevated Iron Man to the mainstream, while everyone knew who Wolverine was beforehand. That being said, both are awesome.

i get that people like RDJ as IM but i personally am so sick of his schtick, the 'gotta force my line in and get a joke in before someone else has a chance to speak' thing, so annoying.

it doesn't seem like it RDJs fault either, end the end of IM1 the natural progression
of the character seemed to be that he was to be more serious in his new role, but then IM became a runaway success and the thought was "well we can't change what worked in the first one" so it became the same thing in 3 other movies.

in my head Stark is Bond, suave, charming, dry. Not snarky and overly sarcastic.

my choice for Stark after RDJ is Jack Huston (Boardwalk Empire)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"