Who's going to be harder to recast down the line Wolverine or Iron Man?

RDJ as Iron Man.

Wolverine hardly ages. You can do a multitude of stories with him at different points in the character's history with other actors stepping in.

Honestly, it's both. Casuals and some hardcores will have a tough time getting used to a new dude under the red and gold or over the hairy canuck.

Wolverine hardly ages.
And neither does Tony Stark, or Bruce Wayne, or any other comic book characters. Unless it's a specific story set in a future, these characters are forever timeless because they are set in a sliding timescale. In Stark's five decade history, the character has aged about ten years. In DC, every forty years a reboot wipes the slate clean. In Marvel, if the sliding timescale falters, characters are deaged through some means. Meaning, these characters will never age. So using that line of logic in regards to casting won't work. Especially when casuals have only seen jackman as the face of the character since its cinematic inception.

Both are their respective characters to the general audience. Downey will be in the next two Avengers films and it seems Jackman is down for a at least 2 to 3 more films(I doubt anyone will beat Jackman's record.) After that whoever gets cast in either role has a huge uphill battle.I think whoever follows Downey will have a harder time because Downey has left such an imprint on the character that's it has influenced how the character is portrayed in the comics and animation.

And neither does Tony Stark, or Bruce Wayne, or any other comic book characters. Unless it's a specific story set in a future, these characters are forever timeless because they are set in a sliding timescale. In Stark's five decade history, the character has aged about ten years. In DC, every forty years a reboot wipes the slate clean. In Marvel, if the sliding timescale falters, characters are deaged through some means. Meaning, these characters will never age. So using that line of logic in regards to casting won't work. Especially when casuals have only seen jackman as the face of the character since its cinematic inception.

MCU Stark/IM exists in the modern era. And not many years have spanned since IM1. That's all we have to go by for that character in the movie medium, which is separate from comics.

Meanwhile, Wolverine's history has spanned decades in cinema. Plenty of stories to adapt in that time frame, and a new actor can fill the void without the audiences rolling eyes at a 50+ year old Jackman. Of course you could reboot and recast both characters that way, but that isn't a recast per say. It's a straight up reboot.

Iron Man has a bigger movie fanbase (Iron Man 3 is one of the most successful movies of all time, while The Wolverine had the worst opening weekend in X-franchise history, and no X-film has ever gotten near the success of Iron Man 3).

On the plus side for Wolverine...Jackman is seen as being right for the part, despite being considered a huge sex symbol type for women. Are there many other actors that can be both the animalistic violent type and the hunky sex symbol? Iron Man is basically a billionaire jerk...and that is not that rare of a role to play.

It appears that people are tiring of the X franchise while getting more and more excited about the Avengers...so a complete break from the past may help reinvigorate the X films at some point in the future. I'm thinking Downey would be harder to replace at the moment

Tough question. I think early Jackman could have been easily replace, but he's cemented himself as the character over time, on top of that he's shown incredible willingness to reprise the role, so he obviously cares about the character, all of that makes replacing him more and more difficult. RDJ on the other hand was pretty much Tony Stark from the beggining, there is a case to be argued that he was almost too successful for the characters longevity, and I get the feeling that he doesn't care quite as much about his character as what Jackman does. Coin flip situation but Tony Stark is an extension of who RDJ actually is and that's what people love about the character, so to my mind Iron Man is going to be the most difficult to replace.

Last edited:
Iron Man, mostly because I already know the perfect actor to recast Wolverine: Christian Kane.

I need a new iron man I love Downey Im just tired of the shtick. And it's not going to change anytime soon as long as the movies with him doing the same shtick makes money I want a iron man movie where he has to act not just show up on set and crack jokes all day.

Reminds me of the chappelle show skit where he dreams of being a rapper with goat legs... Jokes and jokes and jokes and jokes and jokes. That's all rdj wants is to make us laugh. It would seem.

I need a new iron man I love Downey Im just tired of the shtick. And it's not going to change anytime soon as long as the movies with him doing the same shtick makes money I want a iron man movie where he has to act not just show up on set and crack jokes all day.

Reminds me of the chappelle show skit where he dreams of being a rapper with goat legs... Jokes and jokes and jokes and jokes and jokes. That's all rdj wants is to make us laugh. It would seem.

glad someone else agrees

RDJ imo. But you can argue either way. Both are iconic in the roles they play and will be remembered for it like Connery is for Bond, and Reeve as Superman.

I'm going to go off script and say Thor will be the most difficult to re-cast. Hemsworth absolutely embodies the character of Thor, he has a great voice and accent while at the same time possesses the physicality needed. I think it is going to be extremely tough to find a better Thor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"