Who's going to NYCC 2012?

Were there any big panels this year?
Off the top of my head, not really. I think today they had a panel for the new 'Arrow' show, with the stars there. They also had a trailer for The Dark Knight Returns part 2, a Walking Dead panel and a Spider-Man 50th Birthday thing. But other than those, I don't remember seeing anything that caught my eye or my interest.

had a great time at comic con this year...first time as well...But after some research this year lacked the panels and screenings that were big time.

I mean I got to see the Silent Hill panel, which was allright. The Director of the Silent Hill movie said at the panel said he wants to direct BioShock.
To be honest, I left there a bit disappointed. I mean, my main purpose was to take pictures since I didn't want to waste time waiting on lines again like I did last year. But looking back, maybe it was because it was my first time there in a few years, but last year seemed so much awesome, mostly because of all of the hype with the Avengers, Spider-Man and Batman. But they didn't really have anything for any of the big movies next year, which made things seem a little flat.

But regardless, I think more people showed up this year so the numbers are still growing close to SDCC size, so you know its going to end up being treated just as importantly as SDCC is, in terms of what people decide to show off there. When you have that kind of audience, its only a matter of time before these studios start realizing how much potential there is to reach out to people.

Speaking of which, I think I'm going to go for the 4-Day pass next year, assuming I have the free time to do so. But I just couldn't help but feel like three days just wasn't enough because they passes by so quickly.

These Cosplays look amazing! Does anybody know when the next on in the UK is?

Off the top of my head, not really. I think today they had a panel for the new 'Arrow' show, with the stars there. They also had a trailer for The Dark Knight Returns part 2, a Walking Dead panel and a Spider-Man 50th Birthday thing. But other than those, I don't remember seeing anything that caught my eye or my interest.

To be honest, I left there a bit disappointed. I mean, my main purpose was to take pictures since I didn't want to waste time waiting on lines again like I did last year. But looking back, maybe it was because it was my first time there in a few years, but last year seemed so much awesome, mostly because of all of the hype with the Avengers, Spider-Man and Batman. But they didn't really have anything for any of the big movies next year, which made things seem a little flat.

But regardless, I think more people showed up this year so the numbers are still growing close to SDCC size, so you know its going to end up being treated just as importantly as SDCC is, in terms of what people decide to show off there. When you have that kind of audience, its only a matter of time before these studios start realizing how much potential there is to reach out to people.

Speaking of which, I think I'm going to go for the 4-Day pass next year, assuming I have the free time to do so. But I just couldn't help but feel like three days just wasn't enough because they passes by so quickly.

Yeah, my gf looked into details about last year and more celebrities were there. For some reason Jessican Simpson showed up which she is a fan of. But for the Avengers I heard Chris Evans was there and obviously the hype for Spidey and Avengers must have made it more fun.

There was really no screening or panel this year that got people talking. I also got tired from walking around to each shop...So packed and crammed in there.

I recommend going on Thursday as its the least hectic day to check the shops out...I bet Saturday is the worst in terms of actually being able to move around.

Some cool video games I played - Some DC Comics Gods of Injustice game where you play as Batman, Superman, Flash, etc... in a VS game like Mortal Kombat.

Also a Marvel RPG Heroes game...This looked really cool.

If it continues to get to the size that SDCC has attained, I'm just going to stop attending. There comes a certain point where the crowds kill the fun.

So this was my first excursion at a Comic Con. I have a friend of a friend who's a comic book artist and gave me his 4 day pass, I was thinking of going on Saturday but opted for Sunday because Kevin Conroy was signing.

So I wanted to get there early before 10 but I was lazy when I got up and got there around 10:30. I was expecting a lot of people, but not that many.
IMG_0862_zpsd77b1c53.jpg

I went in and it was a little confusing, I knew who I wanted to see but didn't know where anything was. They were out of books when I got there. So, I was able to use my phone and figured out the aisle system.

My first meet and greet was with the voice of Ash from Mass Effect, Kimberly Brooks. She was very sweet and took a picture with me. Told her she never died in any of my playthroughs.

Next was up to meet Ian McDiarmid (Emperor). But before that, I saw Carrie Fisher was there and couldn't pass up a chance. So I met her, she signed a photo but she rubbed glitter on the side of my face. :huh:

Then met Ian McDiarmid and he was very nice. He signed an action figure for me.

Ran back upstairs to get Kevin Conroy's autograph. Waited on line for over 2 hours and then they started pulling people who prepaid to skip the line, which pissed me off and I wish they would have told me that. But Kevin was really nice and I had him sign a mini cell I got from one of the Animated Series 4th Season.
IMG_0868_zpsb85668bc.jpg

I then met Hannah Minx and, her videos do justice to her, most notable asset but I didn't realize from them how she's all eyes and boobs. She's very slender.

Went around and bought some stuff, Skeletor power sword opener and a Dark Knight Returns Hallmark ornament.

Ran back downstairs to hear the interview of Ian McDiarmid. Smart and witty, but I didn't stay the whole time.
IMG_0874_zps9d068bc5.jpg

I ran upstairs to buy a Mass Effect figure from Square Enix and walked around for another 45 minutes.

But I wanted to get out of there by 4:30 pm to be able to get to the bus and avoid the mass exodus.

I might go back depending on who's there. I'm not a big crowd person and I did have my pet peeves:

Body odor - I showered today, so should you.
Walking around - I hate it when people stop short and when I was running around, this was the last thing I needed.
Crowds - That's more of a me thing, I hate the feel of being squished together by bags. Which leads me to if you're going to this thing, don't stuff a back pack and every time you turn you are hitting somebody.

Last edited:
body odor was a big problem...I had to deal with that by the video game section and Artist Alley.

Doesnt help that its hot in there...Still gross, take a shower

I didn't smell much of anything on Saturday, and I know my girlfriend would have mentioned it also. I recall the B.O. being worse last year.

Yeah, the body odor was something I smelled right away as soon as I walked in each day. But luckily I have a bad sense of smell so after a while I didn't notice it. But I kinda hated the walk from the train to the Center because that alone had me all tired and sweaty, which I hated because the weather was cold the first few days so I had to bring a jacket, but as soon as I walked around inside, it was too hot.

I had a couple of friends who went to get autographs from Tom Felton and Jason David Frank. I learned after waiting over 3 hours for the Avengers panel last year and not getting in that I wasn't going to wait in line again and miss out valuable time that could be spent walking around while the show floor was still open. I did, however, wait nearly 3 hours in line to see IGN's Podcast Beyond on Saturday night. I managed to get autographs and pictures with them even though we were being kicked out since the podcast was the last panel of the night. But they were cool enough to step outside with us and talk for a bit.

And it was nice to see some up-close previews of games like Tomb Raider and Hitman. They really do look great in person and I think I'm going to go on Thursday next year so I can avoid super long lines and play whatever games they have.

And yeah, I really don't understand why people bring lots of bags with them. I mean I get that there are certain things you want to bring and get signed or whatever, but it literally looked like a lot of people just got off the plane and came straight from the airport.

Also, I wasn't a big fan of how they set everything up this year. First, I didn't find Artist Alley until the last day because it was all the way at the other end of the convention and it was so packed that I didn't even bother to go in all the way. Next, they got rid of the NYAF, which had its own separate section upstairs, so instead, all of the anime cosplayers were fused in with the comic cosplayers and pretty much outnumbered them. I can't even count how many people I saw with huge swords and overly stylized hair. It would be fun if I liked anime.

This was my third time at NYCC. The first time was back in 2008 when I went because a professor of mine paid my way so I could meet her son who was an Editor at DC Comics. It wasn't very big and according to statistics, only 64,000 people went that year. I went again last year and noticed a significance difference in attendance and what was being shown. The attendance there is recorded as 105,000. I read an article that said an estimated 115,000 showed up this year, and it just makes me wonder what they are going to do to help the crowd situation because the biggest thing I hate is when people just sit on the floor outside the show floor entrances and act like no one else is trying to walk around. I know it gets exhausting, but when you have 10-15 people sitting in a big circle, it really doesn't make things easier. But with all that said, I still had a great time and I can't wait until next year.

That was actually a pet peeve of mine from last year that I was reminded of yesterday. Fridays seem crowded as first, but not as bad as Saturday, and I'm not looking forward to today because kids get in free, so the walking space is going to be a lot tighter. But I simply can understand why people try to walk around with strollers and luggage with wheels.

I know it sucks, I really felt bad trying to get through the crowd with a stroller when I was at the Baltimore Con, the alternative is my son running around like a banshee. I really did not expect so many people to be there and there weren't all in yet when I was struggling through.

I hope the Con here in DC in April isn't going to be a madhouse, but I have a feeling it might be.

I'll post mine sometime today

Yay! :)

Now I don't feel like dressing up next year. I'm lazy as ****.

I also felt I spent the entire Sunday there standing on lines.

30 minutes for Mass Effect.
15 minutes for the Star Wars Actors.
2 hours for Kevin Conroy.

I think I spent like only 45 minutes really looking around.

Don't get me wrong I got a lot of stuff done. But I wish I could have walked around more leisurely.

Waiting 15-30 minutes isn't too bad.

2 hours is awful, though.

It was worth it. I've been wanting an animation cel signed by Conroy for ages. If I had more time, I would have tried and purchase a bigger cel then the one I had.

I know it sucks, I really felt bad trying to get through the crowd with a stroller when I was at the Baltimore Con, the alternative is my son running around like a banshee. I really did not expect so many people to be there and there weren't all in yet when I was struggling through.

I hope the Con here in DC in April isn't going to be a madhouse, but I have a feeling it might be.
It all depends on how you walk around. Like I said, the crowds are bad enough, but you can work around them. It's when people just stand in place in sit in front of an entrance where the space becomes an issue. Like I'm very aware of my surroundings and the space around me so I would try not to stop if I feel someone directly behind me, but there are people that act like they're walking alone in a park or something.

I also felt I spent the entire Sunday there standing on lines.

30 minutes for Mass Effect.
15 minutes for the Star Wars Actors.
2 hours for Kevin Conroy.

I think I spent like only 45 minutes really looking around.

Don't get me wrong I got a lot of stuff done. But I wish I could have walked around more leisurely.
Yeah, you waited for a lot of things, but in the end it was productive because you got some great stuff out of it.

Last year, me and my friend waited for about 3 hours to see the Avengers panel and right when we got close to the front of the line, they told everyone to leave because the theatre was packed and chances were that none of us were going to get in. We later found out that people were actually in the theatre since 10am and never left because they were waiting for the panel, even though it didn't start until 6:30. I was really upset because I didn't want to see the panel to begin with, but my friend really wanted to see Chris Evans.

I'd attend for the cosplay alone. Great pics SV. Didn't bump into Terrific, eh?

I'd attend for the cosplay alone. Great pics SV. Didn't bump into Terrific, eh?
Thanks. To be honest, I never really had a high opinion of cosplay, mostly because I didn't understand the appeal behind it. But when I went last year, I really developed a greater appreciation for it, and that's really all I was excited for. I really wanted to get some nice photos of people dressed up and my biggest disappointment is that I didn't get more.

And yeah, unfortunately, I didn't see Mr. Terrific. I saw a few guys dressed as Blade, but none of them looked anything like Terrific. :csad:

Totally forgot that Conroy was there!:doh: And I forgot to post my pics the other day lol here ya go!
1013021712_zps40dabcdd.jpg

1013021756_zpscfe4c647.jpg

I didn't end up going. My son has been sick and was hospitalized for over a week. There's always next year.

I saw a guy dressed as Blade and I was wondering if you were going to be there.

I was supposed to go with two of my Blade buddies. I couldn't make it so they were the two TV Blades.

8094588151_728527aafe_k.jpg

I think I might've seen them. I definitely remember this one guy who looked like he had a had or something on his head, but he was also wearing a jacket, so it might've been a different guy.

But hope everything is alright with your son, Terrific.

Had an awesome time this year. Meeting Grant Morrison and sitting in on the Venture Bros. panel were the highlights for me.

I don't understand why the tickets were sold out this year. Typically, you can just watch into the javits on the day you're attending and purchase a ticket on site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"