Daredevil Why a TV series for Daredevil?

The trailer could easily, and I mean EASILY be mistaken for a trailer of a movie - it looks that good. I think the quality of this show will be outstanding, and I am actually incredibly happy that this particular character is getting a show and not a movie.

Agreed. I'm so happy that Daredevil got a show instead of a movie. He has so many good and complex stories to draw from, and a movie wouldn't be able to go as deep into them. Just the possibility to maybe see some kind of adaptation of Born Again in like season 3 or something, if we're so lucky, just feels... :hubba

Marvel Studios is reportedly looking at the Daredevil Netflix series as a 13 hour film. In other words, you're lucky. Daredevil's getting a longer movie than the Avengers.

Boom :up:
Not to mention that this looks incredibly cinematic. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this have a very high budget for a TV show?

Indeed. Of the group going to Netflix, Luke Cage is my favorite, and the one I'm most worried about. Most notably because the strengths of Netflix don't apply to him as strongly, as he does have a harder to visualize superpower and he doesn't have a half dozen award winning stories that deserve long-form storytelling to be done justice. For Daredevil, the instant I heard Netflix, it was like 'Why didn't I think of that...' the same way I felt when they cast RDJ as Tony Stark.

Though his comic book appearances have been uneven, the story of Luke Cage may be the most compelling in all the MCU. A black male railroaded by the court system takes part in dangerous prison experimentation in exchange for a sentence reduction, and is rewarded with his apparent death. He breaks out, takes on a new identity and tries to redeem himself.

And he's now bulletproof, which is certain to be tested by members of law enforcement over the course of the series. This is "ripped from the headlines" stuff, and I hope whoever is picked as showrunner doesn't shy away from the controversy. Personally, I would love if Loeb could hire Spike Lee.

If this were a network TV show, I would've asked the same question as the OP.

But this is on Netflix, a company producing some of the best TV shows out there right now.

I've been waiting for a Superhero show that could be mentioned in the same breath as Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, House of Cards, etc. Daredevil is the ideal superhero to deliver that kind of show, and he's the ideal character for the netflix format. I think this could help boost his popularity in a way movies might not've.

In response to the thread title. Why this thread?

And let us not forget many a popular tv show has ended up with its own film/s so there is every chance that a successful tv show might result in a film further down the line.

But even if not, its a great chance to give a character in the MCU more depth and backstory than any other character so far. If it was a cheap looking, cheesy cash in on the character I would be worried but so far I've seen nothing to think that way.

I still dream of the day when ALL superheros can get done justice quality-wise(from all aspects) in a serialized TV show format like this(I know Netflix is not technically TV but you get what I mean). I mean, if we could get the current roster of Avengers characters done in 13 episode seasons allowing for more storytelling without needing to sacrifice budget or quality at all from what they now enjoy on the big screen....why wouldn't we all want that? We currently don't do it now because the budget and SFX turn around times are just not feasible to do guys like Spider-man, Hulk and Iron Man, etc. on TV(would require the GNP of a small country to effectively produce such series and the time frame factor would still be problematic even if $ were no concern) without sacrificing the quality the movies give us. But if those barriers were eliminated somehow, how awesome would that be? You wouldn't have to wait years just to see only a couple hours of your favorite characters before having to wait several more years before doing it again.

^ I'm cautiously optimistic for the 2020's to be the decade we finally see that happen.

The 2000's and early 2010's were the beginning of the Golden Age of TV. We saw shows like Breaking Bad and The Sopranos establish that TV can stand on its own and compete with film. Then we started seeing TV adaptations of both lesser known (or lesser budgeted) properties like The Walking Dead, Sherlock and Game of Thrones.

After the success of those shows, we started seeing an influx of superhero TV shows with B or C-list characters: Arrow, Flash, Gotham, Agents of SHIELD, Agent Carter, Daredevil, etc.

The next logical transition is to get the A-listers on the TV screen.

I believe we'll get there eventually. It's just a matter of progress in new technologies and such things that can make it actually work. In a sense it'll make superhero theatrical movies obsolete.

Though his comic book appearances have been uneven, the story of Luke Cage may be the most compelling in all the MCU. A black male railroaded by the court system takes part in dangerous prison experimentation in exchange for a sentence reduction, and is rewarded with his apparent death. He breaks out, takes on a new identity and tries to redeem himself.

And he's now bulletproof, which is certain to be tested by members of law enforcement over the course of the series. This is "ripped from the headlines" stuff, and I hope whoever is picked as showrunner doesn't shy away from the controversy. Personally, I would love if Loeb could hire Spike Lee.

I think that's well said. I agree with you 95% of the way. Part of me is holding back slightly when it comes to Spike Lee. The reason is I think Spike Lee will be uncompromising, which might ultimately make for a better product, but I also think a little bit of compromise might be necessary to ensure popularity (i.e., don't scare away the white folks). It should be an important theme, but it also can't be the predominant theme.

I think that's well said. I agree with you 95% of the way. Part of me is holding back slightly when it comes to Spike Lee. The reason is I think Spike Lee will be uncompromising, which might ultimately make for a better product, but I also think a little bit of compromise might be necessary to ensure popularity (i.e., don't scare away the white folks). It should be an important theme, but it also can't be the predominant theme.

I don't know if Spike would be interested, but he certainly wouldn't shy away from some of the nastier aspects of Cage's origins, which is right there in the comics. And he certainly knows how to film in NYC. But you're right, Marvel may end up going with a more traditional showrunner.

Don't get me wrong, I think they want someone with the same attitude as Spike Lee (and certainly the same talent), but they also should want someone with a little less clout. Spike Lee will be above everything else. They need someone who would be willing to agree to something Marvel wants and then, hopefully, Marvel will never ask for anything. Basically, it's James Gunn vs. Edgar Wright. Both are brilliant film makers but Gunn understood the collaborative process more than Wright. Spike Lee's got such a strong vision that I can't imagine it being anything but what he wants. I wouldn't want Tim Burton either, for example.

Yeah I wouldn't anticipate Spike Lee working on Luke Cage. Not sure I would want him to either.

Especially after Old Boy.

Another thing, if this was a movie, there would be a snowflakes chance in hell it would be rated R. But on Netflix, its rated TV-MA.

I still dream of the day when ALL superheros can get done justice quality-wise(from all aspects) in a serialized TV show format like this(I know Netflix is not technically TV but you get what I mean). I mean, if we could get the current roster of Avengers characters done in 13 episode seasons allowing for more storytelling without needing to sacrifice budget or quality at all from what they now enjoy on the big screen....why wouldn't we all want that? We currently don't do it now because the budget and SFX turn around times are just not feasible to do guys like Spider-man, Hulk and Iron Man, etc. on TV(would require the GNP of a small country to effectively produce such series and the time frame factor would still be problematic even if $ were no concern) without sacrificing the quality the movies give us. But if those barriers were eliminated somehow, how awesome would that be? You wouldn't have to wait years just to see only a couple hours of your favorite characters before having to wait several more years before doing it again.
I truly do believe that if DeKnight & Co. hit their mark, this show will be an absolute game changer. It could finally give the right people a glimpse of the HUGE untapped potential for superheroes on television, and that future you dream of might become visible on the horizon.

IF they hit their mark. *fingers crossed*

we had so many tv shows about super heroes so far but you're right...this could be a major game changer. like industry altering game changer.

I truly do believe that if DeKnight & Co. hit their mark, this show will be an absolute game changer. It could finally give the right people a glimpse of the HUGE untapped potential for superheroes on television, and that future you dream of might become visible on the horizon.

IF they hit their mark. *fingers crossed*

Oh I surely hope so. The movies are great but they'll never be able to truly get passed the simple problem that they only give us maybe a 4 hr window to the MCU every year(going to 6 hrs a year in 2017). Add in AoS and AC and you get something like another 22 hrs for the year(so 26-28 in total). That's very limiting still. But if we had 1/2 a dozen Netflix shows with 13 episodes each about various characters then our yearly MCU injection could be something like 75-80 hrs a year. The MCU is my drug of choice. I want to O.D. so bad.:cwink:

It looks like it cut back on the camp that made 2003 movie such an uneven mess. Granted it was a 90 second trailer.

But it just looks dark, bloody violent and intense. Definitely looks like a Steven DeKnight show. It doesn't look PG-13 either. Like when you see Daredevil drooling blood, that's like...when do we ever see that much blood in a Marvel film?

I thought that was the point of the Netflix deal. To have a section of the MCU that houses the more mature stuff that the network shows and films can't get away with.

Oh I surely hope so. The movies are great but they'll never be able to truly get passed the simple problem that they only give us maybe a 4 hr window to the MCU every year(going to 6 hrs a year in 2017). Add in AoS and AC and you get something like another 22 hrs for the year(so 26-28 in total). That's very limiting still. But if we had 1/2 a dozen Netflix shows with 13 episodes each about various characters then our yearly MCU injection could be something like 75-80 hrs a year. The MCU is my drug of choice. I want to O.D. so bad.:cwink:

Easy there champ, too much of a good thing is not good for you. :cwink:

I know what you mean though. If DD is a success than this could be Marvel's first real counterattack against DC cause let's face it, they're owning tv right now with Arrow, Flash and Gotham and then soon Supergirl and Titans. It's funny, I used to watch Arrow and think to myself "Man, if only Marvel could make a Daredevil show with this same tone and vibe, it'd be perfect." Now that they are with a presumably bigger budget, more talented actors and a license to go darker and more mature than Arrow this really has the potential to be the best superhero tv show ever made.

Said it before, if the Directors Cut version of Daredevil had been released, there would have been no discussion for a tv series, instead a wtaered down studio led edit of the film was released of the film in 2003 which ruined any chance of the character being given his rightful place amongst the big hitters of the Marvel universe.

Now, this tv series format suits MM and his day to day world, case by case, week by week which can run alongside the larger story of his origin and build up to Wilson Fisk.

I think it's a perfect match, the Director's Cut of the film is brilliant, the tv series gives him scope to breathe and build.

Said it before, if the Directors Cut version of Daredevil had been released, there would have been no discussion for a tv series, instead a wtaered down studio led edit of the film was released of the film in 2003 which ruined any chance of the character being given his rightful place amongst the big hitters of the Marvel universe.

Now, this tv series format suits MM and his day to day world, case by case, week by week which can run alongside the larger story of his origin and build up to Wilson Fisk.

I think it's a perfect match, the Director's Cut of the film is brilliant, the tv series gives him scope to breathe and build.

The Director's Cut was a big improvement, but still not very good.

Yeah I never got the love for the director's cut here, either. I mean, yeah, it's better, and the deleted subplots really added to it...but the scenes that were terrible the first time around remain terrible in that cut too. It's still not a good movie, imo.

I like the director's cut myself, they got some things right, and it's fun. But there is no denying some stuff are still horrible, and MSJ didn't have what it takes to make a trully memorable movie sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"