Daredevil Why a TV series for Daredevil?

Since I HATED CW in the comics (the ONLY reasons why I'm even mildly interested in that film is because the Russo's did a great job with TWS. But yeah, Cap 3 has gone from my most anticipated Phase Three film to my least simply because it's adapting that story). So I'd prefer that DD stay out of it. He and the other Netflix heroes can show up to help battle Thanos in Infinity War. That'd work much better.

I never wanted the Civil War storyline to be shoehorned into Captain America's movie.I wanted it to be a separate movie after Thanos's defeat maybe coming out in 2021 or 2022,that would give adequate time to develop the street heroes in their own movies.

I wanted Cap3 to be about The Winter Soldier,his story is still incomplete.I also didn't want Downey to get attention in another movie when it is supposed to Captain America's individual movie

I was not talking about Daredevil role specifically but the street heroes in general could be used as a contrast to The Avengers (Spider-man,Daredevil,Punisher,Luke Cage).They even had Dwayne Johnson lobbying for the role of Luke Cage

So how is DD playing a completely minor role in a Civil War movie (heck I remember that DD wasn't even involved in Civil War in the comics, he was in Europe at the time dealing with his own problems) better for him then his own TV series where he can deal with his own supporting cast and rogues gallery?

I never wanted the Civil War storyline to be shoehorned into Captain America's movie.I wanted it to be a separate movie after Thanos's defeat maybe coming out in 2021 or 2022,that would give adequate time to develop the street heroes in their own movies.

I wanted Cap3 to be about The Winter Soldier,his story is still incomplete.I also didn't want Downey to get attention in another movie when it is supposed to Captain America's individual movie

I'm pretty sure it was stated in an interview by either Fiege or the Russo brothers that the Winter Soldier storyline will be picked up and continued in some capacity.
And once again, to everyone complaining that they aren't looking forward to this because they hated the Civil War comic: they have stated multiple times that it will be quite different.

I still don't get how people would rather wait until 2021 or later for a 2-hour film that might never happen than get a 13-hour film in May. I mean, I get it, it comes from an antiquated mindset that a story is somehow less legitimate if it's not broadcast on a cinema screen. But it's a film-quality cast involved, and there's every chance that Daredevil's introduction into the MCU at this stage will allow him to be involved in stuff like Infinity War down the line, not to mention appearing in other Netflix shows.

As a Daredevil fan, I'd much rather be guaranteed all this awesome Daredevil material rather than get nothing on the hope of a film in the distant future, all over snobbishness over the online format of distributing media.

So how is DD playing a completely minor role in a Civil War movie (heck I remember that DD wasn't even involved in Civil War in the comics, he was in Europe at the time dealing with his own problems) better for him then his own TV series where he can deal with his own supporting cast and rogues gallery?

I also mentioned him having his separate movie before having a role in a Defenders movie along with Punisher,Luke Cage and Spider-man(when they buy the rights back),all of them fighting against Kingpin

Basically what they did with the Avengers and its members but on the street level scale

What's funny to me is that if this series can drive up netflix subscriptions. Then they'll be willing to spend more and more money on the show. After a while it will end up looking like a blockbuster on the small screen. Just look at Game of Thrones.

Having seen the early footage at New York Comic Con, I can say that this show is already looking cinematic. Getting the great cinematographer behind the Fargo TV series is a move that's clearly paying off in spades.

Yeah because I don't follow AoS

Wow... that seems really emotional. Most people wouldn't even know she had been on AoS, they'd just enjoy her appearance as a new character.

Not only is Civil War happening,it is happening within 2 years and it is getting shoehorned into a Captain America film
Marvel has wasted a great opportunity of widening their universe by the same old Tony Stark Vs Steve Rogers when they could have added and involved a whole new rooster of superheroes

LOL! Yes, there was a very big announcement since I posted, wasn't there? They went with the comics instead of your take on Civil War (did you even pitch it to them?) That's not surprising. What's really telling is that even though they are rapidly expanding the MCU with three new properties and four netflix shows, you view it as they wasted the opportunity to expand their universe. You don't even see what's happening, you just keep hanging on what's not happening... even though exactly what you want is happening on Netflix. Incredible.

I am looking at Daredevil the same way I looked at Iron Man 1 when it was being made in 2008,the start of a bigger universe and everything depends on the success of the first one,had Iron Man 1 failed,there would have been no MCU

And for all practical purposes Daredevil is separate from the movie universe,the creative team is different(Feige isn't involved in his own words),they have announced movies till 2020 and that makes sure that a Daredevil movie won't be done till then,and it pisses me off since he is supposed to be Marvel's biggest character and while everybody and their mother gets a movie and Daredevil gets a TV Show(Being budget friendly isn't an excuse for me,even Batman is budget friendly).They can do a lot with a bigger budget,Daredevil is an acrobatic genius(like Mystique)

And no,I am not really the 'TV smaller than cinema guy',It just beats me that why do they see the need to make a mini-universe when these guys have the potential to be movie material.It works with AoS and Agent Carter since they are the lower down guys and work on TV.

Plus they are beginning things from square one on TV and the same creative team isn't involved.

I'm still looking forward to DD that way, that's the way he's being used to expand the universe and audience in a way the movies cannot. Why you aren't also is kinda funny in a way. You like the character so much you can't look forward to the awesomeness. I believe that's actual irony.

For the most practical of purposes: continuity and marketing, DD is absolutely connected to the MCU. Feige while not directly involved is very excited about how they're doing things behind the scenes. Perhaps most importantly to you, the red tape that prevents AoS crossovers is not present with the Netflix serieses. The creative team for each film is different, actually. Several of them worked alongside Whedon on TV, proving that they, like him, are lower down guys? Also they do movies now, and they decided this TV project was worth their time. One of them is from Spartacus, which And lets be honest, if you weren't a TV is smaller guy, you wouldn't call the Netflix a mini-universe.

At the core of your discontent seems to be this idea that Daredevil is supposed to be Marvel's biggest character. I don't know where this idea could possibly come from, but if it leads you to call popular beloved clamored for characters like Black Panther, Captain Marvel and the Inhumans "everybody and their mother" then it's extremely wrong-headed. Daredevil is one of about 20 really really awesome characters that Marvel has that could all be Marvel's greatest character if they stopped promoting the others. He's not the clear number 1 by any means. At his point, that's clearly Tony Stark, and he has not, in any way, taken Daredevil's "rightful place."

And what you really are missing here, what's really ironically tragic is that what we're looking at is a Spartacus series instead of a Gladiator movie. Yes, you can have a bigger action sequence in a big budget movie. But you have deeper characters in a high quality premium TV show. Maximus is awesome, we all love him, and remember that one line, but Spartacus... and Crixus... and Gannicus and so many others, their world is just bigger and deeper, and the fight scenes are still incredibly awesome. And if it comes down to a fight between Spartacus and Maximus, Spartacus would absolutely feed Maximus his entrails... on a lower budget too!

And so you want to rob the MCU of a wider audience (Netflix folks), you want to rob the MCU of a wider universe (Kree, Wakanda, Inhumans) for what? A few extra fans of DD, if that? I empathize with you, but that doesn't mean that what you're saying makes sense, it's just I know what it's like to want what you want at all costs.

Can we please lock this thread? Because I'm getting a little tired of spiderdevil bumping it every week just so he can whine about problems that he imagines in his brain.

I enjoy the debate personally.

What's funny to me is that if this series can drive up netflix subscriptions. Then they'll be willing to spend more and more money on the show. After a while it will end up looking like a blockbuster on the small screen. Just look at Game of Thrones.

That's what's so brilliant about this movie, and why Marvel put so much into it. This is almost certainly guaranteed to drive Netflix subscriptions.

I don't think they need to spend another movie on Winter Soldier. They set up his redemption quite well. He needs a couple scenes and then he'll be Cap's Sixth Ranger type guy, which will be cool, and very useful to have for a Civil War. Another movie where Cap fights Bucky would be repetitive. I too am worried about Iron Man taking over Cap's film... but if he is the antagonist, sympathetic as he may be, I think it'll be good. That's howI can empathize by the way, even though IM getting a bunch of screen time seems unjust to my fave Cap, it also can make for a great movie, and I see both sides of that.

I think having the street level heroes involved in Infinity War is a bit cooler than having them fight against the beloved long standing at that point Avengers. That's just me personally. Besides, none of this precludes a Defenders vs Avengers film later. And honestly, isn't that what you want? You don't actually want Civil War, because they're pretty much doing that, but you want something different.

If you're a fan of Daredevil, I don't see how you couldn't be excited by the show.

LOL! Yes, there was a very big announcement since I posted, wasn't there? They went with the comics instead of your take on Civil War (did you even pitch it to them?) That's not surprising. What's really telling is that even though they are rapidly expanding the MCU with three new properties and four netflix shows, you view it as they wasted the opportunity to expand their universe. You don't even see what's happening, you just keep hanging on what's not happening... even though exactly what you want is happening on Netflix. Incredible.
Yeah they have announced new properties and I appreciate that
But by the time the time Civil War comes out,we would have seen the same old Tony vs Steve in 3 movies,its getting repetitive especially since they are supposed to be a team and would have fought together to defeat Ultron and Loki
Even if they didn't use my type of idea,they shouldn't be rushing Civil War

I'm still looking forward to DD that way, that's the way he's being used to expand the universe and audience in a way the movies cannot. Why you aren't also is kinda funny in a way. You like the character so much you can't look forward to the awesomeness. I believe that's actual irony.
Since I live in India and there is no Netflix in India,I am not even sure I would get to watch it :(

For the most practical of purposes: continuity and marketing, DD is absolutely connected to the MCU. Feige while not directly involved is very excited about how they're doing things behind the scenes. Perhaps most importantly to you, the red tape that prevents AoS crossovers is not present with the Netflix serieses. The creative team for each film is different, actually. Several of them worked alongside Whedon on TV, proving that they, like him, are lower down guys? Also they do movies now, and they decided this TV project was worth their time. One of them is from Spartacus, which And lets be honest, if you weren't a TV is smaller guy, you wouldn't call the Netflix a mini-universe.
The creative team is good,I like Goddard even though he supposedly left now(?)
I just don't think a Superhero can be done justice on a TV show,you guys keep quoting Game of Thrones and House of Cards.But does it have the action that a Superhero is supposed to have? I don't think so

Though I haven't watched Flash or Arrow

Also for all practical purposes the Netflix universe is complete separate from the movie universe,there are no plans for a individual movie(atleast not till 2020) and no plans for crossovers

They had the likes of Bruce Willis and Dwayne Johnson lobbying for Daredevil and Luke Cage,it could have been so awesome.
You guys seem to like the cast but I would have to take your word for it since I never heard of Charlie Cox
At the core of your discontent seems to be this idea that Daredevil is supposed to be Marvel's biggest character. I don't know where this idea could possibly come from, but if it leads you to call popular beloved clamored for characters like Black Panther, Captain Marvel and the Inhumans "everybody and their mother" then it's extremely wrong-headed. Daredevil is one of about 20 really really awesome characters that Marvel has that could all be Marvel's greatest character if they stopped promoting the others. He's not the clear number 1 by any means. At his point, that's clearly Tony Stark, and he has not, in any way, taken Daredevil's "rightful place."
6-7 years ago if somebody would have asked me Marvel's top characters,It would definitely been Spider-man,X-men,Fantastic Four,Hulk and Daredevil.In that order
Its no surprise all five of those properties were bought and movies were made

I think having the street level heroes involved in Infinity War is a bit cooler than having them fight against the beloved long standing at that point Avengers. That's just me personally. Besides, none of this precludes a Defenders vs Avengers film later. And honestly, isn't that what you want? You don't actually want Civil War, because they're pretty much doing that, but you want something different.
I wanted an updated version of Civil War,even though they are doing an updated version,the same old Tony Stark vs Captain America doesn't thrill me,especially when shoehorned in Captain America's individual movie

And If they announce/tease plans of the street heroes coming in movies sometime in the future,I would be really happy,but at present they seem to be a seperate universe

Last edited:
I actually do wish that Daredevil could have a movie of his own, mainly because Netflix isn't available all around the world, which means that unlike the Guardians of the Galaxy, DD wouldn't become well-known around the world until he appears in a movie.

Since I live in India and there is no Netflix in India,I am not even sure I would get to watch it :(
Netflix's flagship show, House Of Cards was shown in India on Zee Cafe. Orange Is The New Black wasn't, but that was expected since Indian TV/movie censors apparently live in the nineteenth century. No one ever accused those buffoons of being progressive. But that's a rant for a different day. :cmad: :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure one of the English TV channels here (Star World, AXN, Zee Cafe, etc.) will pick up Daredevil and the rest of the Netflix slate. Agents Of SHIELD is running on Star World Premiere HD on something like a 3 day delay.

We may have to wait a few weeks for Daredevil, and might have to suffer a weekly schedule rather than gorging on all 13 episodes at once, but I'm pretty certain it will be shown on TV here.

Netflix's flagship show, House Of Cards was shown in India on Zee Cafe. Orange Is The New Black wasn't, but that was expected since Indian TV/movie censors apparently live in the nineteenth century. No one ever accused those buffoons of being progressive. But that's a rant for a different day. :cmad: :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure one of the English TV channels here (Star World, AXN, Zee Cafe, etc.) will pick up Daredevil and the rest of the Netflix slate. Agents Of SHIELD is running on Star World Premiere HD on something like a 3 day delay.

We may have to wait a few weeks for Daredevil, and might have to suffer a weekly schedule rather than gorging on all 13 episodes at once, but I'm pretty certain it will be shown on TV here.

Yeah lets hope its good enough for one those channels to purchase its rights.I would probably download a pirated version if that doesn't happen :D

Does anybody know when a Trailer of some sort will be released? It may change my mind

A month or two before it's released given how Netflix promotes it's other shows

Could be different with Marvel though

I actually do wish that Daredevil could have a movie of his own, mainly because Netflix isn't available all around the world, which means that unlike the Guardians of the Galaxy, DD wouldn't become well-known around the world until he appears in a movie.

Netflix release there shows on DVD/blu-ray so you could easily buy or rent Daredevil if isn't being shown in your country.

Yeah they have announced new properties and I appreciate that
But by the time the time Civil War comes out,we would have seen the same old Tony vs Steve in 3 movies,its getting repetitive especially since they are supposed to be a team and would have fought together to defeat Ultron and Loki
Even if they didn't use my type of idea,they shouldn't be rushing Civil War

Slow down a bit, there's no Cap vs Tony in AoU as far as we've seen, and how are they rushing it. Tony has to have a falling out with the Avengers, and as far as we know, there's no Cap vs Tony in AoU. If the world isn't calling for registration/control of superheroes after Ultrongate, why would they do it later? It seems like not doing it when it would naturally happen would be artificially delaying it, making for a weaker story.

Ah, yeah, you'd have to order it on DVD for holiday 2015, so a longer wait. That sucks. Sorry.

The creative team is good,I like Goddard even though he supposedly left now(?)
I just don't think a Superhero can be done justice on a TV show,you guys keep quoting Game of Thrones and House of Cards.But does it have the action that a Superhero is supposed to have? I don't think so

Though I haven't watched Flash or Arrow

I've never heard anyone describe game of Thrones as low on action. Sometimes a whole episode is just a battle. I don't know what more anyone could want. Daredevil's current showrunner, Stephen S. DeKnight was best known for his work on Spartacus which had more than ample action (and sex, and a better storyline that 9/10 movies). It was also on TV, yes.

I can understand your concern that super powers can't be done justice on TV. That's a bit debatable. A lot of powers are too expensive to show on TV often or well. But Daredevil, though a superhero, he's doing martial arts and dodging bullets. That has been done real justice on TV constantly throughout television's history. Arrow is actually pretty close to DD's M.O., and on a fraction of the budget. But shows like 24 and Strike Back prove that non-superpowered action isn't even half a problem. Most action shows have powers and special effects are actually more expensive and difficult to do justice than DD will be.

What you lose, as far as action, is Daredevil swinging through the streets like Spider-Man. The original movie didn't have that either. He's likely going to be more a free-runner, which is also done justice on TV.

Also for all practical purposes the Netflix universe is complete separate from the movie universe,there are no plans for a individual movie(atleast not till 2020) and no plans for crossovers

They had the likes of Bruce Willis and Dwayne Johnson lobbying for Daredevil and Luke Cage,it could have been so awesome.
You guys seem to like the cast but I would have to take your word for it since I never heard of Charlie Cox

6-7 years ago if somebody would have asked me Marvel's top characters,It would definitely been Spider-man,X-men,Fantastic Four,Hulk and Daredevil.In that order
Its no surprise all five of those properties were bought and movies were made

I wanted an updated version of Civil War,even though they are doing an updated version,the same old Tony Stark vs Captain America doesn't thrill me,especially when shoehorned in Captain America's individual movie

And If they announce/tease plans of the street heroes coming in movies sometime in the future,I would be really happy,but at present they seem to be a seperate universe

I don't understand this conclusion. Every source is reporting that they're in the same universe, and that they're considering crossovers, which is an extremely practical purpose and wouldn't be possible if they were in separate universes. So why do you say they're completely separate?

If they took the DD TV show, and instead of releasing it on Netflix released it in cinema, would it still be a completely separate universe?

Tbh, Bruce Willis as Matt Murdock would not have been awesome. And Dwayne Johnson can still play Luke Cage... except he won't because he's with DC now. Not hearing of DD's actor, or Thor's actor, or Starlord's actor or Hulk's actor just means they're doing things the Marvel Studios way. Don't take my word for it, take their track record on casting young barely-known actors as leads.

Your adaptation of Civil War takes out the core theme of Civil War, brother against brother, Avenger against Avenger, as well as the iconic struggle of Tony vs Steve, something you're tired of. Your adaptation of Civil War is pitting the old tired guys against the new revolutionary guys, who you paralleled with the X-Men in terms of being intimidating and scary to the general populace. Your adaptation of Civil War puts Hulk on their side as a sort of equalizer, a force that has to be reckoned with by everyone. Your adaptation of Civil War has the Avengers vs Some Non Avengers. Your adaptation of Civil War is not over control of super powers, but over fear and prejudice. It's not brother against brother, it's team against team. What you have described is an adaptation of Avengers vs X-Men, except instead of the X-Men you have the Defenders. You've described this as a Phase 4/5 thing that happens after all the vigilantes are established. This is something that is likely to happen, and by the time the Defenders form, after the Infinity War, people will likely clamor for it.

The complaint of not getting to see the show because you don't have Netflix in your country is the most reasonable concern I've heard voiced. However, I imagine that with a show of this level, it would be arranged to air on a TV network in your country. Either that or, worst case scenario, it will get a DVD release a few months after its Netflix release and you can get it then.

I live in India too, and like I said in my earlier post, House Of Cards was picked up on Zee Cafe (a TV channel here) and started airing a couple of weeks after it was dumped on Netflix. The fact that it was on a weekly schedule (like most regular shows) rather than an all-at-once gorgefest was nothing more than a minor inconvenience. I DVR'd and gorged either way as a sideways show of solidarity with Netflix's ethos. :)

Considering the cache the Marvel brand carries (pretty much everywhere in the world) I'm pretty sure it will be picked up by a channel here ASAP and that Spiderdevil and I will be watching Daredevil not all that long after the fact. :)

So, I'm expecting a "damn, you guys were right... this whole Daredevil-on-TV thing is absolutely fantastic" type admission from him by July 2015 at the latest. :)

Can you guys imagine if Breaking Bad was a movie instead of a tv show? No one would be talking about it.

Seriously, how is this a complaint?
If anything a 13-hour experience will suit the material much better. It will flesh out the characters and the story in a much more in-depth, intimate way and tell a longer, more intricate story. This will be a strong way to tell the story, especially given that he will be going up against organized crime and corruption.
Plus with a street level hero like Daredevil you don't need the astronomical budget of, say, Iron Man or Captain America. It could be done cheaper, but still look very good.
And to the complaint I saw that this "won't be part of the MCU" - it very much will. It's been stated multiple times that it is part of the greater cinematic universe.
The idea of a netflix series devoted to the man without fear excites me just as much if not more than the idea of him getting his own movie. Given Marvel and Netflix both have been batting a thousand with the quality of their material, them pairing up is so exciting and will help Marvel's name grow even bigger (if that's even possible) because people who like Orange is the New black and House of Cards will want to see what all the hype is about on Netflix's new series.

Indeed. Of the group going to Netflix, Luke Cage is my favorite, and the one I'm most worried about. Most notably because the strengths of Netflix don't apply to him as strongly, as he does have a harder to visualize superpower and he doesn't have a half dozen award winning stories that deserve long-form storytelling to be done justice. For Daredevil, the instant I heard Netflix, it was like 'Why didn't I think of that...' the same way I felt when they cast RDJ as Tony Stark.

"Why a TV series for Daredevil?"

Um, so that got answered quite definitively. :p

the trailer makes it look like at least as good as any CBM, and I'm sure the show will deliver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"