Why are they not wearing shirts?

Killswitch

Civilian
Reaction score
These people are fighting with swords, yes? Should they not wear any kind of armour -- even, say, a SHIRT?

I just think the "cape and no shirt" fashion is going to cause problems for this movie...it makes it seem infinitely cheesier. Like having women soldiers in bikini tops.

Yes, the guys are buff...but come on! They should be wearing shirts INTO BATTLE.

Because historically they wouldve just fought naked.

That's because they want to show off their buff bodies and remind us that we do NOT look like that :o

NO!

Because thats how it is in Frank Miller's books

Not everyone used to wear armor in battles that long ago. Forged and cast metal was rare in those days.

They should be naked if they want to go for accuracy really.

Darthphere said:
They should be naked if they want to go for accuracy really.

Miller may be one of the few comic artists with the balls (literary) to draw naked dudes every once in a while in his comics (Sin City is the best example of this), but not even he had the brass pair nessesary to have a comic filled with dudes fighting each other with their willies flopping about.

And if Miller couldn't do it in the comic, then Hollywood DEFINATELY wouldn't do it.

This was featured in Troy although they didn't extend it to the battlefield, which is why Troy is an ulimate chick flick!!

Not everyone used to wear armor in battles that long ago. Forged and cast metal was rare in those days.

:up:

Fighting withput armour showed that you were more brave than people who did wear armour. The Spartans were the bravest of the brave.

Yeah its weird that they have capes but not shirts, but who am I to judge?
I have a feeling this film will undoubtedly end up in the "gay interest" section of Blockbusters, right between Spartacus and Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.

neemer5 said:
I have a feeling this film will undoubtedly end up in the "gay interest" section of Blockbusters, right between Spartacus and Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.

Ironically enough, in the book, the Spartans would critize the Romans and how "gay" they were. :o

neemer5 said:

The reason they wore red capes was because it signified a Spartan warrior. It was their trademark to have the red capes. While some did wear armor, most did not, and they were known for training in the nude as well.

Darthphere said:
Because historically they wouldve just fought naked.
Says WHO?? Frank Miller. Dude have you ever been to Greece??? I have all they have in there musuems are Marble collums, Statues, Coins and armour!! Why would they build the armour and NOT use them?????

Nivek said:
The Greeks used Linien Curiass' when not using Bronze Also I think the red either signified Aries or Herakles since the Kings of Sparta believed that they where Decended from Herakles!

herakles said:
Says WHO?? Frank Miller. Dude have you ever been to Greece??? I have all they have in there musuems are Marble collums, Statues, Coins and armour!! Why would they build the armour and NOT use them?????

:rolleyes: During the time period of the movie they wouldve fought naked. The armor you saw was from later.

Heres a piece of artwork from 1814 by some french dude.

Leonidas.jpg

Darthphere said:
:rolleyes: During the time period of the movie they wouldve fought naked. The armor you saw was from later.

The battle was fought in 480 bc and the Greeks had body armour then! Also the Greeks trained in the nude NOT fought in the nude! Hell the Mycenaeans used armour in 1200's bc!! Also the Bronze Age in the Near East where Greece is locating dated from 3500-1200 bc so the tech was available.

The nude thing is a misconception! The Greek Hopilte's equipment would have been a bronze helmet, bronze shin greaves, bronze covered hoplon shield, a short thrusting sword called xiphos, 9 ft spear and linen, leather, or bronze body armour! Also if they fought in the nude back then WHY would they use helmets then if their shield and spears would be able to portect them ????
IMO Frank Miller used a stylized vision of the battle hell look at King Xerxes Frank had him looking like fetish club reject and the Persians and Greeks looking like dreadlocked Rastamen:down I am Greek and my ancestors idealized and stylized the male human form but they understood that having as much protection as possible was good!

Also "Molon Labe" was statement Leonidas said to the Persians when ask to give up their arms it means "come get them"

herakles said:
The battle was fought in 480 bc and the Greeks had body armour then! Also the Greeks trained in the nude NOT fought in the nude! Hell the Mycenaeans used armour in 1200's bc!! Also the Bronze Age in the Near East where Greece is locating dated from 3500-1200 bc so the tech was available.

The nude thing is a misconception! The Greek Hopilte's equipment would have been a bronze helmet, bronze shin greaves, bronze covered hoplon shield, a short thrusting sword called xiphos, 9 ft spear and linen, leather, or bronze body armour! Also if they fought in the nude back then WHY would they use helmets then if their shield and spears would be able to portect them ????
IMO Frank Miller used a stylized vision of the battle hell look at King Xerxes Frank had him looking like fetish club reject and the Persians and Greeks looking like dreadlocked Rastamen:down I am Greek and my ancestors idealized and stylized the male human form but they understood that having as much protection as possible was good!

Also "Molon Labe" was statement Leonidas said to the Persians when ask to give up their arms it means "come get them"

Fine dude, I dont feel like arguing though, its a pretty common fact that Greeks fought in the nude. If you believe otherwise thats fine.

Darthphere said:
Heres a piece of artwork from 1814 by some french dude.

Leonidas.jpg

Jacques-Louis David.;)
And actually that painting is of King Leonidas, that's where they got the costumes from and from the looks of the painting they over dress in the movie.

Actually, only sporting events were traditionally in the nude. Greek arena-fighting and wrestling was definitely in the nude. Even the audience had to be in the nude. This was to make sure that no women competed, I believe.
As far as fighting, I think it isn't 100% that they did fight with minimal armour.
hoplitepursued.jpg

herakles said:
Only the rich could afford armour, and it was a sign of strength to fight naked.

sithgoblin said:
Only the rich could afford armour, and it was a sign of strength to fight naked.

which Polis???? Remember that Greece was splitin to Polis
Also Hoplites where citizen fighters who where the weathly and could afford to use armour! Those who couldn't due to not being citizen or being poor did NOT fight in the hoplite ranks they fought in the light infantry ranks!! The Ancient greek military didn't just have heavy infantry at their disposal. Also the 300 Spartan Knights where the rich full citizens who had male heirs (which was a prerequite).

The Greeks boxed, wrestled, ran track(except the full armoured run ), pancreated in the nude during athletic competitions such as funeral, wedding, Religous(such as the Olympics) games. Also they trained in those various activites the nude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"