Why aren't Kim Basigner and Michelle Pfeiffer more popular these days?

TMC1982

Sidekick
Reaction score
In other words, am I the only one who things that their respective career arcs (besides obviously, playing Michael Keaton's love interest in a Batman movie) in the past 10-15 years have been roughly similar? I guess I started thinking about this since tomorrow is Kim Basinger's birthday and the trailer for her upcoming film, The Nice Guys was recently released.

To give you a better idea of what I'm mean:
*Both Kim and Michelle never really headlined a major blockbuster. The closest Michelle ever got (where she headlined a successful movie based on her name alone) was Dangerous Minds.

*Both Kim and Michelle in recent years has seemed to be relegated to supporting roles/ensemble pieces (more than often w/ people whom they’ve worked before). Or if they do appear in movies in which they’re the main attraction, they’re not widely distributed.

*Both Kim and Michelle arguably made poor choices (e.g. Kim’s post-Batman pre-LA Confidential choices/post-LA Confidential choices and Michelle’s “Oprah’s Book Club” period post-What Lies Beneath) that didn’t capitalize off of their greatest successes.

http://lebeauleblog.com/2011/10/07/...helle-pfeiffer/comment-page-2/#comment-213284

*Both Kim and Michelle seem to take long periods in-between projects. More to the point, both of them (as highlighted in the comments above regarding Michelle at least) often come across as aloof, cold and stand-offish in regards to having to promote their stuff.

I don't want to get into the "actresses don't get more work once they get older" argument because to me, that's too tried and true or obvious. Please note, that I'm not simply trying to debate over which one is better actress (just why they haven't seem to be in more high profile stuff as of late).

Last edited:
Sadly I think you know the answer to your question, despite your negation of what you're willing to hear.

Weirdly there's a trend of Pfeiffier being mentioned in pop songs like "Uptown Funk" and Vice Joy' "Riptide."

^ I've noticed that! Wonder what the deal is there.

I don't see Kim Basinger and Michelle Pfeiffer having that similar a career arc. I see Pfeiffer as more consistent. Sure there are misses but that's normal for any actor. But she still stars in big budget movies with big directors, even if they don't always hit the mark- "Dark Shadows" with Tim Burton and "The Family" with Luc Besson. But, throughout her career, not all of her "big" movies have been hits either, at any stage. And even before 'What Lies Beneath'- she'd make what you call her "Oprah Book Club" choices like "The Deep End of the Ocean", "To Gillian..." or "Love Field" -these smaller, quirkier movie choices. But you see that with actresses like Julia Roberts and Nicole Kidman as well. And aging certainly changes the types of roles they're offered. Though after a long break Michelle did come back with "Stardust" and "Hairspray".

Michelle did say in an interview (during promotion for "Cheri") that these days there are just fewer movies being made in general (the kind that she makes) and that it's hard for all actors, including for older actresses. Because of the prevalence of tentpoles, franchises and superhero movies etc.

When has Kim Basinger been in a movie this millennium as good as White Oleander?

Best thing she has done in that period was ride Michael Shannon's dick in a trailer

I don't see Kim Basinger and Michelle Pfeiffer having that similar a career arc. I see Pfeiffer as more consistent. Sure there are misses but that's normal for any actor. But she still stars in big budget movies with big directors, even if they don't always hit the mark- "Dark Shadows" with Tim Burton and "The Family" with Luc Besson. But, throughout her career, not all of her "big" movies have been hits either, at any stage. And even before 'What Lies Beneath'- she'd make what you call her "Oprah Book Club" choices like "The Deep End of the Ocean", "To Gillian..." or "Love Field" -these smaller, quirkier movie choices. But you see that with actresses like Julia Roberts and Nicole Kidman as well. And aging certainly changes the types of roles they're offered. Though after a long break Michelle did come back with "Stardust" and "Hairspray".

Michelle did say in an interview (during promotion for "Cheri") that these days there are just fewer movies being made in general (the kind that she makes) and that it's hard for all actors, including for older actresses. Because of the prevalence of tentpoles, franchises and superhero movies etc.

Granted, Michelle Pfeiffer’s career arc isn’t as entertaining a read (from a train-wreck perspective) as Kim Basinger’s. And you can argue that at their respective peaks, Michelle was a bigger star/box office draw than Kim.

I was told that at Michelle’s age she unfortunately, can’t really play the lead love interest and be a huge box office draw anymore. To put things in proper perspective, a younger generation who weren’t as acquainted w/ Michelle Pfeiffer when compared to her 1980s-’90s prime. I think this is were the whole factor of Michelle taking a five year hiatus in the 2000s serves as a negative impact on her career as an A-list star.

Another argument that I’ve since heard is that the type of movies that Michelle made when she was “in demand” or in her prime are no longer being made. Instead, studios are much more focused on big-budget franchises (which I think is a bit ironic, since Catwoman in the original, 1989-1997, tentpole Batman film franchise is one of her most iconic, best known roles). So in other words, why should Michelle work when she does not have to?

Last edited:
Pfeiffer took a five year break away from he public eye to be with her family for a while as well which kept her out of the spotlight for a bit.

The answer is probably ageism and sexism. There aren't that many roles for older actress which has been said many times by famous actresses in the media in recent years.

For many actresses who were known primarily for their looks when you get over

forty you are no longer the hot love interest that they can sell the movie on. The roles dry up. Most roles they offer women of a certain a age are playing someone's mom or boss. Basinger often plays characters mothers in movies now.

Older actresses that never really depended on their looks like Meryl Streep still get work but they are rarely in blockbuster movies as there aren't often roles for those types of actresses.

Another issue is mid-budget movies practically dead now in Hollywood. You have your big budget franchises, remakes and sequels. You have your low budget indies and that is it mostly. Part of the reason there has been a mass exodus of movie talent to television in recent years is because the studios are not making the mid-budget movies any more as they don't think it is worth the investment.

Last edited:
There can't be a logical answer. They're both still as hot as ever. :hmr:

I can't remember the exact movies but I've read Pfeiffer turning down roles that eventually ended up being huge critically. I could be wrong but I think one of those films was Still Alice which ended up giving Julianne Moore an Oscar.

It's a long-standing pattern which is hard to buck in Hollywood of roles drying up for actresses when they pass a certain age.

Especially for actresses who in their prime in the 1980s were known for their sex appeal like Basinger and Pfeiffer.

Though I think Pfeiffer overall has stayed more active than Basinger, excepting the five year break she took of her own volition because she apparently wanted more family time and was tired of the spotlight. Which, honestly, surely didn't help keep her career active when she basically retired for five years. That's a long time in the movie business.

Personally, I think Pfeiffer is a better actress than Basinger.

I can't remember the exact movies but I've read Pfeiffer turning down roles that eventually ended up being huge critically. I could be wrong but I think one of those films was Still Alice which ended up giving Julianne Moore an Oscar.

She also turned down Clarice Starling in The Silence of the Lambs.

Though I must say that, in terms of legacy and generations of people knowing certain actresses, its kinda hard to stay in the cultural osmosis unless you are a Julianne Moore type, or die young.

[grammar nazi post]

Could you correct the title? It's Pfeiffer.

It's a long-standing pattern which is hard to buck in Hollywood of roles drying up for actresses when they pass a certain age.

Especially for actresses who in their prime in the 1980s were known for their sex appeal like Basinger and Pfeiffer.

Though I think Pfeiffer overall has stayed more active than Basinger, excepting the five year break she took of her own volition because she apparently wanted more family time and was tired of the spotlight. Which, honestly, surely didn't help keep her career active when she basically retired for five years. That's a long time in the movie business.

Personally, I think Pfeiffer is a better actress than Basinger.

Basically, being an incredibly beautiful middle aged woman like Kim and Michelle won’t get you lead roles in movies. Those go to incredibly beautiful 20 year olds for the most part. To put it in another way, as they approached middle age, the value of their looks wasn’t what it once was.

Pfeiffer definitely missed out on that, but I doubt she would've been as good as Moore was.

I also don't think she would have been as good as Clarice as Jodie Foster was.

*Clears throat*

The five year break did some damage to Michelle's career. After a box office hit with What Lies Beneath and some outstanding reviews for White Oleander, she could have had a very successful run in the mid-2000's. But if she wanted some family time, then who can blame her?

She also made some questionable choices post-Hairspray/Stardust. She was the only good thing about Cheri and lets not even talk about that Ashton Kutcher direct to DVD thing. That killed any momentum that Hairspray gave her.

Also, she holds her hand up and admits that she isn't very comercially-minded when it comes to picking roles - she was desperately wanted for Thelma & Louise... she turned it down for Frankie & Johnny. The latter IS the better movie/part but it largely went unnoticed.

The good news? Michelle is admired and respected in the industry and wil never be short of an offer in some form.

We have the HBO movie The Wizard of Lies and the indie production Beat Up Little Seagull to look forward to. The latter made by the production company behind Still Alice. Let's hope she gets some awards buzz for them.

Can i also just say... Michelle rejected Still Alice when it was being directed by BRETT RATNER!!

You would have turned it down too! :o

When has Kim Basinger been in a movie this millennium as good as White Oleander?

Best thing she has done in that period was ride Michael Shannon's dick in a trailer

Basinger- Say what? Her performance in The Door in the floor is great. She is also doing Tom Ford film right now. Shane Black film Nice Guys.

Pfeiffer- She sucks at picking roles for the most part. lol

But she has enough rep that if she gave another good performance, it would win her an oscar. Trick thing is for her to know how to choose them. :oldrazz: She still did films with Burton and Besson.

It ain't about being popular.

Why are they not working mo is far better question. And the likely answer is that they don't have to and have nothing to prove anymore.

*Clears throat*

The five year break did some damage to Michelle's career. After a box office hit with What Lies Beneath and some outstanding reviews for White Oleander, she could have had a very successful run in the mid-2000's. But if she wanted some family time, then who can blame her?

She also made some questionable choices post-Hairspray/Stardust. She was the only good thing about Cheri and lets not even talk about that Ashton Kutcher direct to DVD thing. That killed any momentum that Hairspray gave her.

Also, she holds her hand up and admits that she isn't very comercially-minded when it comes to picking roles - she was desperately wanted for Thelma & Louise... she turned it down for Frankie & Johnny. The latter IS the better movie/part but it largely went unnoticed.

The good news? Michelle is admired and respected in the industry and wil never be short of an offer in some form.

We have the HBO movie The Wizard of Lies and the indie production Beat Up Little Seagull to look forward to. The latter made by the production company behind Still Alice. Let's hope she gets some awards buzz for them.

Can i also just say... Michelle rejected Still Alice when it was being directed by BRETT RATNER!!

You would have turned it down too! :o

Incidentally, the same sort of thing could be said about Kim Basinger. After she won her Best Supporting Actress Oscar for LA Confidential, she proceeded to kill off her new found momentum/good will by not releasing another movie for three years. And when she finally did release something (I Dreamed of Africa and Bless the Child), they were critical and financial duds.

8 Mile in theory could've represented a reprieve (she was reteaming w/ Curtis Hanson, who directed LA Confidential), but even though it was a huge hit, Kim kind of got lost in the shuffle. It was one of those things where (like many of her subsequent roles) it seemed like her participation was treated as sort of an afterthought. I don't know if that's because Kim isn't really a strong enough of an actress to carry stuff by herself, or it was due to the way that things were marketed.

I just think that Hollywood doesn't really know what to do w/ her anymore. Many of Kim Basinger's fanbase is male, and I simply think that they likely aren't interested in seeing her in stuff that doesn't involve her acting sexy and/or looking glamorous. Plus, w/ all due respect, Kim probably doesn't have the best range in the world. So once her sex appeal lost its gravitas, she was relegated to having to play mom roles.

Unfortunately, Kim's personal issues stemming from her split from Alec Baldwin (coupled w/ her anxiety issues) really started to take precedent. Kim Basinger is (w/ all due respect) a very reclusive and private woman. That sort of thing makes it really, really hard to build up audience support for you if you aren't putting yourself out in the open. The infamous voice-mail that Alec left for their daughter made Kim look even worse, because it painted her as a woman who had little qualms of sacrificing her daughter's name and integrity to the public just to get petty revenge against her ex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"