Why can't Thanos gather the stones himself?

Discussion in 'Guardians of the Galaxy' started by Joe Von Zombie, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Joe Von Zombie Hell yeah!

2. TheHeatKitchen Registered

I'm guessing he CAN, he just doesn't want anyone to know he's out there collecting them. If other beings, like Celestials or Odin found out, they may try to stop him. But if he has random people, i.e. Ronan, Nebula, The Collector, Loki, Gamora, etc. collect them for him, no one would be the wiser about suspecting and ultimately trying to stop him.

Just my theory.

3. Octoberist point blank

He's too lazy staring at the stars!

4. MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

I'm guessing the groundwork is beneath Thanos.

He probably knows he will get them eventually and is willing to wait for the right time.

5. StarLord <<<<<<<<<<

His seat is too comfy.

6. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

Right. Keep in mind Thanos never told his followers what it was they were actually collecting either.

7. Spiderine Sho nuff

Let these pawns do his dirty work. Thanos is patient enough to gauge his enemies and test loyalties. No need to make his presence known yet as to alarm others in the universe. He will also know not to make similar mistakes as we have learned with Malekith and Ronan.

8. cph9fa Registered

Have you seen the price of fuel on Knowhere?

9. Monochron Registered

There needs to be a movie where Thanos actually succeeds in obtaining an Infinity Stone.

I would like to see him winning the next 2 stones and then use their combined power to obtain the other 4.

Of course, I'm assuming there will be 6 stones like in the comics but that could be changed.

The point is he needs to be shown triumphant in order to be truly credible as a threat.

10. Vartha Mod of Thunder

and the proof is right here
    [​IMG]

11. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

I suspect "drawing too much attention" is the main answer. Thanos is powerful, but he doesn't want to draw the hostile action of everyone else in the galaxy at once, which is about what would happen if he ran around personally punching his way towards Infinity Stones. Note that even Ronan, who was known to be associated with Thanos, was not openly known to be hunting an Infinity Stone. Hell, *he* didn't know he was hunting an Infinity Stone. Up until the point that he got the word, he was just another troublemaker who happened to acquire Thanos as a patron, but was otherwise pursuing his own fanatic Kree zealot interests.

12. Wise Watchtower Janitor

That's what I was thinking too.

13. Donut Registered

I am also guessing that he does not know where they are yet. He now knows where three of them are

14. Thundercrack85 Registered

That does make me wonder though.

Were Ronan's men following Quill?

Was it ever explained how he found stone? Or, why they both got there at almost exactly the same time?

15. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure they were, like Belloq following Indy at the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

But maybe it was just a coincidence.

16. Brother Jack The Penitent Man

Raiders was a big influence on the movie.

17. cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

No, Korath wasn't after Quill. He had no idea who Star-Lord was. ("Who....?") He had tracked the location of the Orb at exactly the same time Quill happened across it.

18. CoherentChaos Registered

How epic would it be if a live Celestial stepped in during Avengers 3?

Like, Thanos has the IG, all his plans have come to fruition, the Avengers and the Guardians are in way over their heads, but a Celestial takes notice of this "disturbance in the force" and comes to stop Thanos.

And this gives our heroes a chance to regroup and formulate a plan, and we get a demonstration of Thano's power by having him defeat an ancient god.

19. flickchick85 Admin of Might

I agree with the "drawing too much attention" thing. Thanos is obviously powerful already (Qorath did suggest he was the most powerful being in the galaxy), but without the Infinity Stones, there's no way he could take on the whole galaxy by himself, and that's basically what he'd be faced with if everyone got wind that he was trying to collect all the Infinity Stones. He'd instantly become Public Enemy #1.

20. LostSon88 Registered

The same reason Vito Corelone never did the dirty work when he was the Godfather&#8230;or Emperor Palpatine&#8230;or any other figure of extreme authority.

Thanos is a BOSS. He's above getting his hands dirty anymore.

You don't develop a reputation such as Thanos amongst the galaxy and continue to expose yourself to everyone. You work your magic behind the scenes and let these other "tools" do the work for you.

21. Sexy Magician Most Excellent

Has it ever actually been stated that he isn't already in possession of other stones, we have only seen three, its possible he might have one or two of the other three already.

22. Smashlilman Ouch!!!!

For the same reason the United States under the Bush Administation relied on Tribal Warlords to capture and Kill Osama Bin Ladin. Why waste your time doing the dirty work when you can get someone else to do it and take all the risk and blow back if it fails.

23. Sexy Magician Most Excellent

Why isn't the guy who owns Burger King flipping burgers........ because he doesn't have to.

24. hoy-small-fry It's a dance-off bro!

As much as I don't like seeing him fail over and over, the answer is obvious.

If he's known to be collecting the stones, it doesn't take a genius to work out what's coming next. The Nova Corps, Asgard, and everyone else would be on top of him in a moment

25. ctsketch Registered

Celestials are not good guys really though..it would be better to have the Living Tribunal or something stop him