• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why Do You Collect Comics?

Kevin

Doug not so Funny
Reaction score
it's a simple question, really... or at least it should be.

i collect comics for a few reasons...

1. Look at my sig... i'm a Comicaholic... i just can't stop.
2. Research - i write so i either read them to make sure i don't do an idea that's already been done (which is impossible by the way) or if i like the idea, i flip it with my own take.
3. It's the only thing in life that makes me happy. i'll tell you, these books have been there more for me in the past year and a half than my own friends and family.
4. it pisses off my father.(j/k... no it does piss him off, but it's not one of the reasons i buy)
5. i just like having them around. i haven't even read half of them and i never plan to.

so... why do you collect?

inertia really, i always have.

when i was a kid learning to read (mum and dad taught us all before kindergarten) so when all the other kids were reading 'spot' or 'grug' (although grug was pretty cool) dad would buy me piles of archie comics and one day he bought a box of about two hundred old school DC from a garage sale for about 5 dollars and i was hooked straight off. brave and the bold, flash superman, legion of superhero's they were in awful condition, but a six year old didnt care.

been reading eversince. i have my ups and downs. One stage i bought any title that had an X on it. kind of embarrased by that now. During university when i couldnt afford food, i only bought wizard for three years and then filled my shiny new creditcard with trades once i got a job. Who needs furniture when you got comics?

I just love the characters and the talent that comics attract. better writing than most tv and movies and id rank the art in comics above 90% of movies and always more involving than a bloody three camera sitcom.

I also think its a fantastic storytelling medium which will never get the respect it deserves. people dont read sandman because they read an issue of batman and didnt like it. thats like saying youve seen the 'fast and the furious' so you dont need to watch 'the shawshank redemption'.

Although i will say i wouldnt be as big a fan as I am without wizard. I only knew about whatever comics my local newsagent had for sale and then one day this magazine was there next to them, telling me about different companies, new characters, with lists of great moments and best costumes...i really miss the old wizard.

so thats me.

I thought it was a good way to pick up girls.....boy was I wrong.:rolleyes:

I HEAR THAT!..............although im often talking to chicks and some random piece of trivia will escape that impresses them and they say, 'how did you know that?', and i just say 'comic books'.

For pleasure and saving them in case they may be worth a lot of money someday

I like reading them. Plain and simple. Interesting situations, interesting looks, interesting ideas.

They're fun, fast, and usually have a good re-reading quality anymore.

That, and comics is the only place you'll find a 70 foot alien who dresses in purple, eats planets, and has a giant tuning fork on his head cool. It just wouldn't translate anywhere else.

to fill the empty whole in my heart which would devour me into it's darkness if I did not

I collect comics because I like them.

I read one of these "books" before and after 22 pages it didnt have pictures so it it was suxxorz! No ads though.

I pretty much only collect Marvel comic books why because I love anything that's Marvel.Unless there is a certain super hero I don't like then I wouldn't get it.

I get comics because I enjoy reading good stories about interesting characters.

I collect comics because I love reading them. It's as simple as that.

I started collecting comics again b/c the stories were too good to pass over any more, and i HAD to get in on the action!

I don't collect comics, I'm on this forum because I like the funny usernames on this messageboard.

I started collecting comics because I hate reading them :p

I actually started because they looked cool when I was younger. Gave up for a while, then got back into them because my friend had started collecting.

Now I use them as a basis for writing stories and screen plays; comics really are brilliant for this, due to the fact they combine the literary nuances and pacing of books with the cinematic quality of film. It's the perfect springboard for aspiring writers, wether they wish to be screen writers, novelists or comic book writers :)

I just enjoy it. It's a hobby for me.
Some people knit. Others play basketball. I read comics.
The end. :o

entertainment. liked superheroes especially, since i was 4. had every ninja turtle toy and every power ranger toy going. comicboy how can you not read them?? blasphemy!
BLASPHEMY!!!!!

sigh...
i'll have 'em! :)

There's 1 comic i havnt read which i own: its japanese manga. it was free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"