Why does Daredevil and Elektra flims not sit well with fans?

ssj wolverine said:
Daredevil didn't work because 1) Ben Affleck is a horrible actor 2) Daredevil unlike Spiderman or the X-MEN is not an interesting character. The reason that Electra didn't work is because 1)the script was bad and 2) All you need to do is watch Alias if you need to see Jennifer Garner kick ass.

1) Ben Affleck is no better or worse than Tom Cruise and a host of other actors that more or less play variations of themselves...and he's actually pretty good in films with subject matter closer to his heart or with people he's comfortable with, such as Kevin Smith's films, GWH, Changing Lanes, Boiler Room, Shakespeare in Love...and Daredevil, among others

2) Daredevil is not an interesting character? I'm not even going to dignify that with a response. Everyone has their opinions, but you seem to think you speak fact.

The Question said:
True. As I said, while I don't think they're as horrible as many make them out to be, I think Afleck and Damon would benifit from going back to writing. That seems to be their greater strength.

Affleck is writing/directing an adaptation of "GONE, BABY, GONE", a Dennis Lehane (mystic river) novel, which is a property that he and Damon has been persuing for quite some time. I'm not sure if Damon has any involvement in it now though.

Damon was also credited as a writer on Gus Van Sant's "GERRY", but I don't know how you can really consider that a full script since that film was largely improvised.

They're both getting back together onscreen in a film where they portray lawyers, so that should end up working pretty well.

skorponok said:
Do you think she would have been a better BLACK WIDOW? (although she probably wouldn't accept the role since it's too similar to Alias...on the surface at least)

Skorp,

To be honest I don't know anything about Black Widow to give you an opinion. Is she the Russian agent from the Avengers? If so, I do think Garner could carry off that role.

She has a cute little Russian accent that she has used on Alias from time to time, and she has great physical abilities to carry off action scenes believably IMO.

Daredevil is absolutely my girlfriend's favourite superhero movie. She thought 'Begins' was good but prefers the other.

Me? I really like both versions of Daredevil. Love Begins. Hated Elektra.

Aflek may not have been my first choice for the part but he did a very good job with it.

As to a 'black' Kingpin... I like it better than the comics version of Fisk. I wouldn't mind if Marvel re-introduced the character.

The Daredevil movie, to me, seemed like DD1 and a sequel wrapped up into one. They could of introduced Elecktra in the first film, but not really went much into it. Just introduced her as someone who hates DD, but towards the end of the movie she realized that it was Bullseye not her. DD didn't have to finish off Kingpin in the movie, in fact, he should of gotten his ass beaten, then sent home .

Then they make a sequel that had to do with the later stuff in the movie. Elektra dying, Kingpin getting owned. That kind of stuff. It would of been much better as a two part, then a third movie and no more. Thats just my thought though

I enjoyed both movies a lot. I actually feel that Daredevil is one of the best damn superhero movies period. Elektra on the other hand is a highly flawed movie that I happen to enjoy anyway.

Both movies had better theatrical versions than director's cuts for a variety of reasons I could babble about for ages.

The Director's Cut to DD was great, but I think that if they had made one change to DD, it would have been superior...

Introduce the character of Elektra as a flashback, like in the comic books.
It would have 1. made us care more about her and 2. made their love affair seem more credible because they would have had longer to develop such a deep relationship.

ssj wolverine said:
Daredevil didn't work because 1) Ben Affleck is a horrible actor 2) Daredevil unlike Spiderman or the X-MEN is not an interesting character. The reason that Electra didn't work is because 1)the script was bad and 2) All you need to do is watch Alias if you need to see Jennifer Garner kick ass.

WTF!?

OOOOkkk...

I personally thought the movie was better than the first Spider-man...:up:

cause they suck! (and don't give me the Daredevil director's cut angle b/c i have it, and it's ONLY 2 1/2 stars at best!)

DarKush said:
To be honest I don't know anything about Black Widow to give you an opinion. Is she the Russian agent from the Avengers? If so, I do think Garner could carry off that role.

She has a cute little Russian accent that she has used on Alias from time to time, and she has great physical abilities to carry off action scenes believably IMO.

Yea,thats Black Widow, and yes she would rock as the BW,but like skorp said to much like alias for her to play.

:spidey: i agree with that because i luved the directers cut
The Question said:
Daredevil mostly because all the good stuff got edited out by Fox and replaced with Hollywood crap. That's why most like the director's cut.

who r the villians that r gonna be in the spiderman 3 movie?

Well only the Sandman has been confirmed but probably the green goblin then at the end of the third the'll set up for the lizard and Venom for the 4th film.

WOLVERINE25TH said:
DD I like either version, but prefer th' DC.

Yes, this is one fan who thinks DD was very well done as well. Most fans aren't happy with Elektra because most think of it as wasted potential. Elektra isn't "Catwoman bad" but it's not half as good as it should've been. I liked the set up but the second half of that movie was poorly done.

DavidTyler said:
Daredevil is absolutely my girlfriend's favourite superhero movie. She thought 'Begins' was good but prefers the other.

You're with a smart girl there. I enjoyed BB but I honestly think the DD DC was a better all around film.

YJ1 said:
Yes, this is one fan who thinks DD was very well done as well. Most fans aren't happy with Elektra because most think of it as wasted potential. Elektra isn't "Catwoman bad" but it's not half as good as it should've been. I liked the set up but the second half of that movie was poorly done.
You're with a smart girl there. I enjoyed BB but I honestly think the DD DC was a better all around film.
i thought catwoman was good:confused: :)

dpm07 said:
Daredevil is a film that over time people will appreciate and like a lot more. I didn't mind the regular version, but the DC definitely ups the ante, and makes the film that much better.

I'm a huge fan of Daredevil, and thought Ben did a great job in the role. :up:

I'd love to see a sequel.

I would love to see a take on the BORN AGAIN storyline, which is a lot darker than the first movie, which I think was pretty dark to begin with relative to the other comic movies. They could easily use that sotry, with Kingpin knowing who DD is, and usign all his powers to make matt suffer instead of going after DD. He also meets his mom, which could be a nice subplot.

DD entertained me, but everyone I know in person hated it. I've settled on it being pretty bad, but something that I enjoy.

Elektra... sucked. HORRIBLY.

DD director's cut was a decent movie, better than the Holy OMG best movie ever!!11 spider-man 1 to me and I'll throw sm2 in there too since it's just ******ed at times.

Ii even like it more than batman begins because begins had ****ty editing althouth DD has its share as well, it's not as bad.

I never saw elektra because there are no nude scenes I heard of

Jack Bauer said:
It's the PG13 rating? Fox 's campaign for the flims? Fox itself? Affleck? Garner?

That's all I wanted to know is why they don't sit well with the fans.
Got me. I liked both of them. :confused:

The Directors cut of DD is awesome, one of the best superhero movies ever made. I was never interested in Elektra in the first place, they should of concentrated on DD2.

Generally speaking the acting was poor.

I liked DD, and it's good to see I'm not alone in that. I thought Affleck has a pretty good grasp of Matt's character, and even though some parts made me cringe, I still really enjoyed this movie. I thought it packed a good emotional punch and, atleast for me, touched a real nerve. I also really liked how they didn't overuse CGI like Spiderman. It was much more believable since they used mostly wire-work and when they did CGI, they lit/blocked it in a way that didn't look fake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"